• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Some analyst says Apple will bring back the MacBook positioned between Air and Pro:

kuo_2012_notebook_lineup.jpg

Doesn't make much sense.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08...ird-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/
Pretty silly, yeah. If anything, we're just going to see the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro become a single product line a couple of years from now (in 11", 13", and 15" sizes).
Hopefully we can organize something similar to last year where people chipped in for a developer account.
I'm game.
I think it can work for a certain type of app(Like TV/video services). Large games would be a problem, sure. The benefit, of course, is that local storage becomes a non issue. You don't have to update apps, either, as you'll always cache the newest version.

Any way, just an idea. Something has to give if an SDK is coming. Carving out a few GB's of storage from the video cache isn't a solution, IMO, and new hardware isn't likely.
I'd be curious to see how this goes, but I do think the solution would end up being to take up some of the video cache room. If it'll mean more content coming to the Apple TV, that's a net win for users and for Apple.

Dreaver

I'm really looking forward to this! Planning to buy my first Macbook soon.

I really hope they will give the 13" (pro) a proper update (thinner, no ODD, SSD etc.) and not just the 15". We shall see!

Patriots7

So what are the chances of iOS 6 adopting widgets of home page customizability? My friend is pretty much hanging on to her Android for the widgets and cosmetic options but she's more than willing to jump ship to iPhone if it provides some element of that. Plus I really do think it's time that they start shaking things up with the UI.

Are there any major rumors tilting toward that route?
Unlikely, there may be cosmetic tweaks but I doubt Apple would do a complete overhaul of iOS. I miss having an iPhone but I can't go back to iOS after using ICS. Hopefully Apple surprises.

So what are the chances of iOS 6 adopting widgets of home page customizability? My friend is pretty much hanging on to her Android for the widgets and cosmetic options but she's more than willing to jump ship to iPhone if it provides some element of that. Plus I really do think it's time that they start shaking things up with the UI.

Unlikely, there may be cosmetic tweaks but I doubt Apple would do a complete overhaul of iOS. I miss having an iPhone but I can't go back to iOS after using ICS. Hopefully Apple surprises.

I hope Apple caters to those of us who actually enjoy iOS and not try to win back Android customers that will never be happy no matter what they do anyway.

Cheebo

Banned
Are they going to announe the new iPhone there?
I never really followed apple stuff before.

Apple is looking to be going at a pretty standard pattern:

Spring: New iPad
Summer: New Mac's and new Mac OS (now that OSX is going yearly)
Fall: New iPhone & iPods and new iOS.

Apple is looking to be going at a pretty standard pattern:

Spring: New iPad
Summer: New Mac's and new Mac OS (now that OSX is going yearly)
Fall: New iPhone & iPods and new iOS.

Eh, I totally agree that Macs are going to start all getting updated at the same time (which I think is extremely smart). However, I bet we'll see biannual Mac events, since that's roughly close to the intended schedule that Intel has for its chipset updates, IIRC. Perhaps one Mac event in June and one event in January (just after the Christmas season, basically).

Also worth speculating about: where the Apple television set would figure into such a schedule. TVs generally get updated in the fall, IIRC, but I don't think Apple would feel the need to stick to that. I could see them making the January event a Mac & TV one.

Patriots7

I hope Apple caters to those of us who actually enjoy iOS and not try to win back Android customers that will never be happy no matter what they do anyway.
It has nothing to do with winning back customers as much as it is refreshing its UI to keep it modern. iOS has been largely unchanged for 5 years.

Does anyone think it would be possible for a desktop GPU to fit inside an iMac if the disk drive was removed?

I'm hoping we get the 7970m in the new iMacs, now I just need to sell my 2011 model...

celebi23

Yes! My iOS developer program hasn't expired yet :p I haven't been on the developer site in a long time. Can't wait to try out the iOS 6 beta :D

so who's going to be a bro and let gaf in to his developer account for iOS 6 beta =D

Aren't dev builds like super buggy? I'd be curious, although hesitant, to get in on a GAF dev account to try it out.
Yep, they're usually pretty buggy for the first couple of betas.

Juice

Does anyone think it would be possible for a desktop GPU to fit inside an iMac if the disk drive was removed?

I'm hoping we get the 7970m in the new iMacs, now I just need to sell my 2011 model...

Apple doesn't care. Not going to happen.

They'd sooner use the space to make it thinner or reduce the bottom bezel height.

so who's going to be a bro and let gaf in to his developer account for iOS 6 beta =D

For the most part, iOS 6 is unlikely to be like iOS 5 where the new features (the new notification system, mainly, which was huge) are a big enough deal to merit the bugs and risks and so on, IMO.

I'll be putting it on my iPad, I think, for Siri. But I may not really need it on my iPhone.

Apple doesn't care. Not going to happen.

They'd sooner use the space to make it thinner or reduce the bottom bezel height.

Yeah, you're right. Well a 7970m will suffice anyway, it's essentially a 7850 desktop and that is a major step up from the 6970m, like somewhere in the 35-40% faster range.

Tobor

For the most part, iOS 6 is unlikely to be like iOS 5 where the new features (the new notification system, mainly, which was huge) are a big enough deal to merit the bugs and risks and so on, IMO.

I'll be putting it on my iPad, I think, for Siri. But I may not really need it on my iPhone.

I think the new map app is way more important than notifications.

That said, I never do the betas.

OmniOne

This is gonna be painful. I'm still on a 2007 15" MacBook Pro. Pixels in the screen are dying, battery is useless. I desperately want a new Mac but the wallet won't allow it at the moment.

Although I do have an iPad 2 so that helps. When I do upgrade I think going with. 27" iMac instead of a laptop.

LCfiner

I think the new map app is way more important than notifications.

That said, I never do the betas.

I think the risk with a new maps backend is definitely greater. I may not use it as much as I do daily notifications but if the new maps is worse than the google maps in some key areas like search results and directions then this will be a real step back for the platform.

I’m not too worried about the US but I am still a bit concerned maps will not be as good elsewhere. I’m setting expectations low for my own safety :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
While unlikely I'd like a new youtube app with offline queuing (for when 3g connections suck).

bionic77

I want a way to access settings more quickly. Been asking for that for awhile. That is the one thing I like more from Android, that they can control wifi, BT, etc from the home screen. Otherwise I could care less about widgets.

Hope battery life gets better on the new phone. Battery was shit on the 4S (at least compared to the 4). It sucks but I feel like it will be a long time before I am as impressed with a phone as I was with the iphone4. It was just so far ahead of everything else. The gap had definitely narrowed.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Stopped following this thread a while ago.. Are we any more clear on whether or not the new Macbook Pro's will have an optical drive/traditional HDD?

LCfiner

Apparently the differences between the 2011 and 2012 iMacs/MBPs aren't that major. Small tweaks.

that was based on a leaked image of a 13” model. the rumors of a completely redesigned 15” (thinner, no optical, retina) haven’t been contradicted.

Morn

Banned
that was based on a leaked image of a 13” model. the rumors of a completely redesigned 15” (thinner, no optical, retina) haven’t been contradicted.

No, the current rumor is on the previous page. 13", 15" MBP remain about the same. The retina/no optical model is something between the Air and the Pro.

Retina is all but confirmed due to that app they just approved in the App store.

I wouldn't be surprised if they call the middle model just the "Macbook". Bring it back.

No, the current rumor is on the previous page. 13", 15" MBP remain about the same. The retina/no optical model is something between the Air and the Pro.

Retina is all but confirmed due to that app they just approved in the App store.

I wouldn't be surprised if they call the middle model just the "Macbook". Bring it back.
Random third party developer updating their app in preparation for Retina doesn't really mean anything, Panic did the same thing with Coda 2.

Patriots7

I'm hoping at the very least they tweak notifications a bit. The new system was almost as aggravating as the past at times. So many times I would accidentally hit the notification that appears on the top and be switched out of whatever I was doing. Or see the notification in time and then just have to wait for a second before I could hit the top of the screen to jump to the top of the page/go back/etc.

Juice

Yeah, you're right. Well a 7970m will suffice anyway, it's essentially a 7850 desktop and that is a major step up from the 6970m, like somewhere in the 35-40% faster range.

Wow. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone admit I'm right on GAF. Since December 2004. Jesus.

Let me go find some champagne.

giga

I'm hoping at the very least they tweak notifications a bit. The new system was almost as aggravating as the past at times. So many times I would accidentally hit the notification that appears on the top and be switched out of whatever I was doing. Or see the notification in time and then just have to wait for a second before I could hit the top of the screen to jump to the top of the page/go back/etc.
Why not dismiss them?

Top Bottom