• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf has happened to gaming?

has game gone downhill?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sentenza

I take games like Xcom or Disco Elysium anyday over Breath of the Wild, Horzon, Last of Us 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 :)

Most "ambitous" AAA games are boring as fuck nowadays or just hold up to the hype they got.

I dont think a game that just follows the Ass Creed Open World Formula 60-80 % Copy & Paste content should call themselve "Ambitious".
So basically you are agreeing with me?
I'm asking because I'm not sure if that was the point you were making.

Flawguys, Among Ass, Minicrap, Animal Flossing, Fortnap, Craplox and the likes...

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight Australia
When I was a kid, I played games like Jak and Daxter, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. All of those looked pretty similar to what’s new and hip to the kiddos today, just single player.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

who you're trying to fool, man?

put minicrap or Mario Odyssey kids to play SMB or SMW and watch them fail over and over and over and give up in 10 minutes. Yes, games overall were inherently more hardcore back then. A 2 hour game that would take you weeks or months to master until beating it.

and there were goals, secret entrances, exploration with actual rewards and fearful danger to get there. It's not minicrap where the whole world is a diggable resource and going from A to B is just digging a tunnel there and once you reach B it's as pointless as was A.

games were just inherently harder and better - and precisely because of limitations, tech limitations, storage limitations and last but not least, development limitations - it was just harder programming those games with far more limited tools back then and so all the unity idiots of today had no chance of ever developing games back in the day. There was Basic at best for them, but it was clearly amateur stuff on magazines...

Comparing Mario with Minecraft is meaningless, they're two completely different games and you're dodging around the fact that there's a ton of modern 2D platformers that are harder than SMB1 was. Put Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze in front of a child today and see how well they do. Many adults give up on that thing before the end, and it's not even absurdly difficult, just challenging. Oh, and there's like 10-30 hours of content depending what you want to finish and how good you are. That's just one example.

Your problem is that these days, kids have about 1000x the choice they had back then when it comes to picking a game, and most of them don't gravitate towards hard 2D platformers because they're a bygone product for fossils like us. Stuff like Minecraft is way more interesting to a developing mind then moving left, right and pressing jump. Back then, what choice did you have? You played Mario and you were happy with it. Again, if you grew up with Minecraft, you'd be sat here talking about how good it was, and how shit some new game.

Back then, what choice did you have? You played Mario and you were happy with it

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Gradius, Contra, Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy, Micro Machines, Wrecking Crew, Maniac Mansion, Snake Rattle & Roll etc

all widely different game genres despite same 2D graphics

all wildly hardcore games despite back then videogames being for kids, not these pointless sandboxes for retards

but alright, you want to live in denial and delusion, be my guest

Last edited:
Ignore the shit you think sucks, and focus on the stuff you're excited about.

sadly, the only thing I'm excited about in gaming is VR and it's 99% shitty indie drivelware minigames

flat gaming looks to me like eternal rehash of 90s ideas. It's been dead for decades and the same audiences that think gaming is ok or in its prime have not noticed yet...

so overall, gaming sucks and I'm cringe for kids

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Gradius, Contra, Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy, Micro Machines, Wrecking Crew, Maniac Mansion, Snake Rattle & Roll etc

all widely different game genres despite same 2D graphics

all wildly hardcore games despite back videogames being for kids, not these pointless sandboxes for retards

but alright, you want to live in denial and delusion, be my guest

Sure, and I can name a newer game for every genre listed, and more that have been invented since. Many of them are better than the games you listed, Metroid 1 sucks shit, it was a blueprint. What's your point? You really think video games now "suck" because they're Breath of the Wild and not Zelda 1? Come on man, we've both beaten Zelda 1, you can't fool me. It's a quaint little relic, which I'm sure was totally epic 34 years ago when it released, but imagine you're a kid that got to grow up playing something like BOTW. It must be absolutely magical to play that as a kid, and I guarantee it's not a cakewalk in the beginning for an 8 year old. I died more in the beginning of BOTW than I did in any other Zelda (aside from 2 obviously) even if it gets hilariously easy later on after hours of play time.

You just sound jaded with gaming in general. Maybe take a break or try other games. Be interested to see what your 2020 top ten was.

Whats really happened is...
giphy.gif
you get to be a grumpy old man after decades of same bullshit

that reminds me the original Donkey Kong crapping over younger players with their easy games already in 90s DKC

200.gif

you'll get there too, sonny. Too sad you'll be reminiscing about the good old days of minicrap and crappy bird

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maybe get out of your comfort zone and try new type of games.
Been getting into Rogue likes as they aren’t my comfort zone games. Have a few. Hard as nails at times but I like them.
But my tolerance for crap games is low now as I got older. Time isn’t something I want to dedicate to bad games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
anyway, Blankos is in that video. Just take a peek at that and tell me you didn't barf.
That looks terrible. But remember the meme run game on the Wii?
As long as gaming has been around shoddy/derivative games as a fast cash grab has been around to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Been getting into Rogue likes as they aren’t my comfort zone games. Have a few. Hard as nails at times but I like them.
But my tolerance for crap games is low now as I got older. Time isn’t something I want to dedicate to bad games.
Then play the games you do enjoy, you cant possibly telling me that you are not enjoying none of the game that coming out.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Then play the games you do enjoy, you cant possibly telling me that you are not enjoying none of the game that coming out.
Gods will fall is a new game and I want to get that. Also doom eternal for the switch. But not sure of anything else that is on my radar but something might show up.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gods will fall is a new game and I want to get that. Also doom eternal for the switch. But not sure of anything else that is on my radar but something might show up.
If you have Switch Monster Hunter Rise is absolute fire. I put more time in to the demo than some full price games.

check the latest memegame to try to replace the likes of Flawguys, Among Ass, Minicrap, Animal Flossing, Fortnap, Craplox and the likes...

seriously take a look at the shitload being fed to kids these days and compare to games you played as a kid

can we say without a shadow of doubt we've been going seriously downhill?

now I'm sad for the whole weekend, thank you YouTube ad

Yeah that looks like an ultimate bundle of worst of the worst gaming has to offer. Nightmare inducing.

MiguelItUp

sadly, the only thing I'm excited about in gaming is VR and it's 99% shitty indie drivelware minigames

flat gaming looks to me like eternal rehash of 90s ideas. It's been dead for decades and the same audiences that think gaming is ok or in its prime have not noticed yet...

so overall, gaming sucks and I'm cringe for kids
Hey man, as someone that's still waiting for a solid arena shooter return, I understand. It may never happen, but I'm holding out as long as I can, lol. FPS was and is still my favorite genre, and lately the majority of it has been plagued by survival and BR games. Both I give zero shits about. So, I get it.

There are quite a few games for everyone now, but to be fair and honest the AMOUNT isn't as high as it used to be. I also find it strang epeople keep bringing up indies when that's more of a desperation for games that remind them of the past which would actually side with the OP.

exactly thanks

and the sad fact is that most indies try to look like Megaman NES, but clearly never actually played the classics, because they're completely missing everything that made such games stand up the test of time. They're posers, all flash and no substance...

Alan Wake

Yes and no. Closing in on 40, there are lots of games and trends I just don't understand. But I can ignore them and keep playing my AAA games and lovely indie titles, of which there are probably more than ever.

REDSLATE

I think the natural progression is that as gaming becomes more mainstream, the proportion of quality core titles decreases. With that being said, some (many?) of the titles highlighted fall under the umbrella of subjective dislike rather than objective deficiency, which is triggering a lot of negativity and false narratives.

It's gotten pretty bad over the last few years, yeah.

I think gaming was still in a great place as recently as 2015, but 2017 was the turning point, while it ironically had a ton of phenomenal games, it was also the year of Fortnite and PBUG, this has started a downward spiral of stupid, meaningless flavor of the week meme games.

In addition to that, we've had more games made as Woke really gained more and more steam, culminating in The Last of Us 2.

Good games are still coming out but I'm definitely worried about the future.

Gloomnivore

Games are still great. It’s just the people who don’t like games finding out they can make money by pretending to like them on Twitch that’s put a downer on things.

Valkyria

Banned
15 😂

Halo 3 and TES IV: Oblivion are my all time favorite games and they both came out around that time.
That’s the problem. All of us believe that the games we played on our early teens where the top. For me I can say that Halo 3 was cool, but there were before and after games better than the others you mentioned.

D.Final

Banned
Games are still great. It’s just the people who don’t like games finding out they can make money by pretending to like them on Twitch that’s put a downer on things.
This

The media made the videogames more like a job rather than an hobby

ZywyPL

Banned
Video games are entertainment, and millions of kids are obviously entertained a lot while playing all the mentioned titles, so they're doing their job and perfectly fulfill their purpose. That being said, the only "downhill" I see is that back in the days, 20-30 years ago the graphics were so poor the games forced you to use your imagination in the same way books do, and now it's all just like movies, where everything is served to you on a plate with no room for personal interpretation.

check the latest memegame to try to replace the likes of Flawguys, Among Ass, Minicrap, Animal Flossing, Fortnap, Craplox and the likes...

seriously take a look at the shitload being fed to kids these days and compare to games you played as a kid

can we say without a shadow of doubt we've been going seriously downhill?

now I'm sad for the whole weekend, thank you YouTube ad

Nah, I'd argue it's the kids that have gone to shit. Or rather they just have shitty taste compared to when we were young.

I mean, 3yo me would have seen some shit like Tellytubbies and been like:

no way friday GIF

And don't get me started on shit like Cocomelon.... that shit ain't right.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
If you only chose to play good games you would probably still have more games than time. So no use wasting time complaining about crap games.

Top Bottom