• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf has happened to gaming?

has game gone downhill?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D.Final

Banned
Video games are entertainment, and millions of kids are obviously entertained a lot while playing all the mentioned titles, so they're doing their job and perfectly fulfill their purpose. That being said, the only "downhill" I see is that back in the days, 20-30 years ago the graphics were so poor the games forced you to use your imagination in the same way books do, and now it's all just like movies, where everything is served to you on a plate with no room for personal interpretation.
This

If becomes work, then it's hard to not see them as an hobby

Gone

Banned
7qrLyGQ.jpg

magaman

Banned
I mean, gaming sucks nowadays. Gotta agree with OP. It's basically just memes, SJW shit, and gambling trainers at this point. The only real saving grace for me is VR.

SinDelta

Just in the GOTY and GOTG candidate threads here on NeoGaf alone nevermind others sites there are a ton number of amazing games, AAA, AA indie and hidden gems that can be found if you look for them.

Yes, the gaming industry has become entwined with terrible practices like micro-transactions, gatcha, season passes always online, ect. There are still Incredible games like 13 Sentinals, Ace Combat 7, Ghost of Tsushima being made that give me hope there is a bright future for all gamers yet.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm having as much fun as ever, so nah, gaming is still cool.

Maybe it would be cooler without shitty practices like microtransactions and sjw politics, but whatever, as long as I can get my fun out of the hobby I'll be happy with it.

MagnesG

Banned
You have more than enough options to support devs who didn't suck though, I've got my niche already for what I'm supporting and I think it's never been better.

StormCell

I disagree with most of you. I find a lot of very popular games to be a chore to play. Lately, I find myself in a bit of a rut where I want to play something new, but nothing I play scratches the itch. I kind of hate to say it, but I'm getting control scheme fatigue. There's somewhere between 12 to 15 buttons for most games to use, and then these buttons are mapped across different control schemes depending on the game phase you're in, and lately it just feels like tedium. For instance, I'd play more of MLB The Show if there weren't 4 or 5 different control schemes I need to memorize just for an ordinary baseball play (I hit the ball, do I need to advance the runner?, now I'm base-running how do I control all the runners? OR I'm making a pitch, now the ball is in play, I have the fielder and I need to get to the marker. Ok, I'm at the marker, now what button do I press to keep the AI team from taking extra bases on me?) Like, this crap is some degree of fun, and at the same time I'd rather just need to hit one button to fire the ball and have the game decide if it needs to go to the cut-off versus me needing to decide it because little ol' me is not always going to remember who is in the outfield at all times.

Games get more complicated under the hood, but deferring all this to the player's judgment by default is just off-loading the chore to the player. I find that many games are just bombarding me with tons of decisions like to let me know the content is there. I long for simplicity with depth as I choose.

D.Final

Banned
I disagree with most of you. I find a lot of very popular games to be a chore to play. Lately, I find myself in a bit of a rut where I want to play something new, but nothing I play scratches the itch. I kind of hate to say it, but I'm getting control scheme fatigue. There's somewhere between 12 to 15 buttons for most games to use, and then these buttons are mapped across different control schemes depending on the game phase you're in, and lately it just feels like tedium. For instance, I'd play more of MLB The Show if there weren't 4 or 5 different control schemes I need to memorize just for an ordinary baseball play (I hit the ball, do I need to advance the runner?, now I'm base-running how do I control all the runners? OR I'm making a pitch, now the ball is in play, I have the fielder and I need to get to the marker. Ok, I'm at the marker, now what button do I press to keep the AI team from taking extra bases on me?) Like, this crap is some degree of fun, and at the same time I'd rather just need to hit one button to fire the ball and have the game decide if it needs to go to the cut-off versus me needing to decide it because little ol' me is not always going to remember who is in the outfield at all times.

Games get more complicated under the hood, but deferring all this to the player's judgment by default is just off-loading the chore to the player. I find that many games are just bombarding me with tons of decisions like to let me know the content is there. I long for simplicity with depth as I choose.
And it is always the perfect way to act.
Because it's a personal view of the things, after all

Arachnid

Not in general, but horror gaming definitely has (with the exception of Alien Isolation and a few RE games).

Hugare

lol at "Yes" winning the poll

Hope that I never become this miserable and bitter like you guys

Gaming is as good as ever. You're just focusing on what's popular.

It's just like saying "music sucks" because you can't enjoy Harry Styles or whatever.
There are tons of other artists to enjoy, more than ever before due to the internet and social media.

Get up from your ass and start searching for things that interest you, instead of only being fed what ads throw at you and then complaining afterwards

Last edited:

anab0lic36

Video games are better than they were 10 years ago (largely thanks to the rise of indies) but worse than they were 20 years ago - the golden era.

Last edited:

RavageX

Too large of a focus on how to squeeze more cash out of gamers. No more unlocking things... You buy them.

Huge focus on what's "hot", instead of making a truly unique experience.

Indie titles trying to be retro...all the time. Or have crap art because.....well I dunno. It's a style?

Most forms of entertainment follow these trends... Ahh another word that fits with today's gaming.

I still enjoy old movies... Old music because everything now seems so.. Generic, uninspired, clearly made with the idea of a quick buck or pushing some stupid modern agenda.

Top Bottom