• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a PS6

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a fully backwards compatible PS6

• Yes

Votes: 242 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 30.4%
  • There won’t be a PS6 🤡

Votes: 12 3.3%

• Total voters

xrnzaaas

Realistically it's gonna be 100 more for PS5 Pro and 200 more for PS6. ;) Everything depends on the specs. I'd pay more if the performance boost was signifcant and my PS5 couldn't handle running new games on decent settings.

That's not a good enough reasons to pay $100 more. Besides, while the market for BC disc support of classic PS systems is decently sized (I'm in that camp), it's not big enough to warrant making it a default feature with every PS6. An enhanced optional fit-to-form disc drive with that support would make a lot more sense on both ends.

I honestly think they should make a modular system for BC. Don't waste money on including BC chips and inflating the entry price like they did the PS3. Have a space and interface like a HDD bay and have a BC 'addon'.

Yeah this would be the better way to go about it. The ones who'd want BC with disc support (especially hardware-based) are small in number but willing to pay a premium for it.

So make that an optional add to the base system, not built into every system outright inflating the production and buying costs for no good reason.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
That is fully backwards compatible with PS1, PS2. PS3, PS4, and PS5.

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

A PS6 in 2028 would easily have the power to run PS1 - PS3 legacy emulation in 4k without breaking a sweat. Why should the extra $100 be dedicated to something like that?

Make a $600 next gen console with a massive power uplift over the PS5. You won’t need any extra hardware for BC

IAmRei

it's fine, $100 more bucks for newer hardware still fine, but $1000+ more is not for me at this time. : ))
and $100 game is also fine for me, as long as i got cool game which can also replayed for later.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?
Considering that's what I wanted the PS5 to be, I totally would.

1 -

The PS6 wouldn't be any different.

And 2 - You can literally live the rest of your life happy with just the PS2 and 3 library.
So point 1, would be tolerable.

StereoVsn

Yep. That became abundantly clear to me after having kids. The amount of money I spent on their toys, which they would play for maybe a few weeks and then never touch again, is staggering.
Now throw in all the extracurricular activities and compared to kids gaming is Pennie’s. 😉. Not even talking about daycare, private schools or college costs, lol.

StereoVsn

That's not a good enough reasons to pay $100 more. Besides, while the market for BC disc support of classic PS systems is decently sized (I'm in that camp), it's not big enough to warrant making it a default feature with every PS6. An enhanced optional fit-to-form disc drive with that support would make a lot more sense on both ends.

Yeah this would be the better way to go about it. The ones who'd want BC with disc support (especially hardware-based) are small in number but willing to pay a premium for it.

So make that an optional add to the base system, not built into every system outright inflating the production and buying costs for no good reason.
I was more thinking of a BC “Pro” model but yeah, if modular could work, it would be pretty great.

Mind you, Sony ain’t doing any of this, but it is fun to speculate.

reinking

Gold Member
I have seen the future.

jqgsycanfavvbig.jpg

$900. Best deal in in gaming.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In modern day tech, I dont know how much an extra $100 of specs gets you since console makers subsidize the retail price (probably more like $200+ when converted to profit taking in the chain), but if an extra $100 can get you some decent power spike and/or a decent spike in SSD size then I'm all for it.

I just dont want any new consoles to be +$100 and the boost barely moves the needle, or they just bank it as profit on every console sold going into margin making mode.

Last edited:

solidus12

If the PS6 is fully backwards compatible, I hope that that I would still work with the memory card adapter that they released for PS3 back in the day.

WWQykrG.jpg

Romulus

If its actually a leap over PS5. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with this generation's graphics. Everything feels like PS4 Pro+

SHA

PC is not a strange platform when we compare it to ps in bc, that s need to stop, it's like streamers complain about how their job is difficult.

Sure. If there is a first party launch lineup and announced first party games into the first and even second year. No PSVR2 owner current or previous trusts these guys anymore.

Wouldn't say "none", but the PSVR2 situation could be a real blow for SIE if they don't figure some way to offer PC VR game streaming to PS5 owners with the headset. It's the very least they can do.

Chasing after PC users and not doing anything as consolation for the console owners is mid '90s SEGA levels of stupid and alienating to parts of their core fanbase. Not a good thing

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Next gen is going to be 599 ... you should ask if people are willing to pay 200 more... because 100 is a given. The days of 499 consoles are over.

Sure. Make it 600$ so that we can have the same situation as with the PS3.

$599 wasn't the problem; lack of convincing value proposition to gamers justifying the $599 compared to what 360 was offering, was the problem.

FWIW tho no I don't think BC with PS1/2/3/4/5 games alone is worth paying an extra $100 for a PS6.

Next gen is going to be 599 ... you should ask if people are willing to pay 200 more... because 100 is a given. The days of 499 consoles are over.

Not if companies decide the graphics arms race isn't worth pursuing anymore, and it might very well not be.

Particularly on the hardware front, considering the bigger bottlenecks to graphics these days are team sizes, budgets, and dev times. The hardware itself is perfectly capable of realistic visuals. Even the PS4 produced amazing visuals with 1.84 TF, but the games doing it took 7+ years to make with teams in the thousands and budgets pushing $200+ million.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup.

And just like every past uproar.... $70 games, tons of mtx, always online, going digital, and even the recent systems edging up to $500, as long as companies stick with it gamers will conform and accept it. $600 US for gamers might be sticker shock as consoles were historically around $200-400, but it's edged up over time. And console gamers will accept $600. Just give it time for gamers to let it sink in. There's a lot of gamers who dont want to say fuck it and go mobile or good pricey PC.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
$599 wasn't the problem; lack of convincing value proposition to gamers justifying the $599 compared to what 360 was offering, was the problem.

FWIW tho no I don't think BC with PS1/2/3/4/5 games alone is worth paying an extra $100 for a PS6.

Not if companies decide the graphics arms race isn't worth pursuing anymore, and it might very well not be.

Particularly on the hardware front, considering the bigger bottlenecks to graphics these days are team sizes, budgets, and dev times. The hardware itself is perfectly capable of realistic visuals. Even the PS4 produced amazing visuals with 1.84 TF, but the games doing it took 7+ years to make with teams in the thousands and budgets pushing $200+ million.
I agree but dont think this new mentality will arrive in time for the ps6 ...consoles were held back by prices for too long.. even AAA 70 dolars games are cheap imho ...

They will establish the price for next gen with the ps5 pro, imho. 599

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
lol if PS5 isn't fully backwards compatible, I seriously doubt a PS6 would be. It's a pipedream.
At best it will be backwards compatible with PS4 titles. I doubt enough people are even holding on to their old PS1-PS3 physical games to justify that decision at Sony.

S0ULZB0URNE

360 was a couple hundred cheaper in some cases plus it had a headstart.
Quality games or not this is hard to overcome.

It took a whole generation which included price drops to surpass them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree but dont think this new mentality will arrive in time for the ps6 ...consoles were held back by prices for too long.. even AAA 70 dolars games are cheap imho ...

One thing that helps set a higher price too is the fact the systems ready to be discontinued still hold up a decent price. So the price gap between old and new isn't a lot.

It's not like the old generations where PS2s and 360s would get dump for $99. So if a console maker dumping them suddenly says, "Hey our new systems are $400-500" the gap looks crazy. It's all about perception for a lot of consumers. If PS6 is $600 and PS5 is still $400, a $200 gap doesn't seem so outrageous.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Wouldn't say "none", but the PSVR2 situation could be a real blow for SIE if they don't figure some way to offer PC VR game streaming to PS5 owners with the headset. It's the very least they can do.

Chasing after PC users and not doing anything as consolation for the console owners is mid '90s SEGA levels of stupid and alienating to parts of their core fanbase. Not a good thing
Completely agree. Have loved Playstation since 95 and have never been more upset or annoyed by them as I am now.

cireza

Gotta love when the ignorant spew bs they know nothing about.

200w.gif
Initial price was so on point that they reduced it to 400€ as quickly as they could.

Don't forget to work overtime to pay your PS6 ;)
As Ken Kutaragi said :

"for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
Now that's an actual clown.

Last edited:

Will it take a whole gen? PC continues making inroads as an appeal platform for hardcore and core enthusiasts by the day, and that's the audience Sony have to satisfy with price/performance on a console vs. what can be had on PC, then the two weighed against each other with ALL factors accounted for (such as paid online in the case of PS).

It doesn't help that Sony's PC strategy has focused heavily on ports of the marquee games with shrinking windows, eroding at the longer-term appeal of their console to those same hardcore & core enthusiasts. Companies like Valve perfectly understand this appeal which is why games like Counterstrike and DOTA 2 aren't on PlayStation or other platforms even after more than a decade AND despite being GAAS titles (the ones you'd think would be multiplatform)!

All I'm saying is, don't underestimate when people will wise up and say "it's not worth the price".

360 was a couple hundred cheaper in some cases plus it had a headstart.
Quality games or not this is hard to overcome.

It took a whole generation which included price drops to surpass them.

I mean, 360 was cheaper in concept until you started adding extra stuff to feature-match PS5. $199 HD-DVD drive. Wifi module. Extra HDD storage. Those things bumped up the $299 starter model close to the $599 PS3 Premium SKU.

But making them add-on components let Microsoft get away with marketing it as much cheaper than PS3, 'cuz that was technically true.

Kinda like how Sony were able to advertise PS1 being $100 cheaper than Saturn but if you wanted a PS1 with comparable out-of-box experience of Saturn (1 game + storage), you basically were paying $399 or close to it at launch anyway.

Completely agree. Have loved Playstation since 95 and have never been more upset or annoyed by them as I am now.

Definitely feels like if there was a time for SIE to change some things for the better, that time would be now. Hopefully they make the right adjustments.

WitchHunter

Banned

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

You just ask the AI and it will do it for you. Just wait it out.

S0ULZB0URNE

Initial price was so on point that they reduced it to 400€ as quickly as they could.

Don't forget to work overtime to pay your PS6 ;)
As Ken Kutaragi said :

Now that's an actual clown.
Price still started @$499.
Many ignorantly regurgitate the $599 'option' as the price.

cireza

Price still started @$499.
Many ignorantly regurgitate the $599 'option' as the price.
The console was too expensive.

In Europe, it launched at 500/600€, with months of delay, and with an half-assed BC compared to the rest of the world. Honestly, I am looking forward to Sony making the same mistakes as with PS3, as this would lead to a very entertaining generation without a doubt.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Off course I would . 100$ over the course of at least 3 years for a machine on which you don’t even pay for the full price of the GPU . People not seeing this logic are funny

People were already paying north of $900 for a PS5 during the pandemic so I'm sure there will be plenty of yesses.

Crayon

Idk. I will probably wait a bit. The cross gen period was more like a year because you started accruing a lot of games that were flat out better than last gen. Still technically cross gen but made the PS5 worth it. So at very least, I'm going to be motivated if games start looking shitty on PS5.

Also there is the lack of price drops. Almost better to sell your last gen one ASAP to get the most money. I was surprised a PS4 with three (very good, but old) games would get $200 so quickly.

A ps6 is hat does all that you're talking about? Sure, I guess. But the extra $100 will make me hesitate/wait more. I guess a lot of it would be if Microsoft brings the heat by then. I'll be looking $500 gpu. Mine is not going to keep up with next console gen, bit it will be alright through this one, so that would be the time.

Joramun

Sony fanboys/stans will pay anything for a PS.

I've resold a few PS5's to these idiots during covid times.

Essentially making my xbox and ps5 free of purchase.

They're the Apple fanboys of gaming.

Top Bottom