• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Permanent Backwards Compatibility

StereoVsn

PS4 support will most likely be moved to the cloud
That would make 0 sense. PS6 could easily support PS4 architecture unless they decide go with Arm or something which is highly unlikely.

Pissing off their customers by moving PS4 support to “the cloud” would be an irrational move.

Mephisto40

That would make 0 sense. PS6 could easily support PS4 architecture unless they decide go with Arm or something which is highly unlikely.

Pissing off their customers by moving PS4 support to “the cloud” would be an irrational move.
Neither does not having native PS2 support on the PS5 even though the operating system has a fully working PS2 emulator built into it, but that's just how it goes unfortunately

And moving things to the cloud in 4-5 years time won't seem as "irrational" as it does now, especially if the console doesn't have a disc drive, which is highly likley

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have a feeling we'll be seeing an ARM move from the major players the generation after next (PS7 if there is one). I just don't see a world where x86 continues on for another decade in most devices given the progress ARM has made, the fact Nvidia and Intel are jumping in now, the fact Windows 12 will be built with ARM support in mind and that energy restrictions in the EU are going to continue to get harsher.

Will that kill BC? Maybe, or maybe x86->ARM emulation will be perfect by then. Apples done a great job with it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Neither does not having native PS2 support on the PS5 even though the operating system has a fully working PS2 emulator built into it, but that's just how it goes unfortunately

And moving things to the cloud in 4-5 years time won't seem as "irrational" as it does now, especially if the console doesn't have a disc drive, which is highly likley
Show me the receipts that Sony is even rumored to be making this move.

Not offering PS2 emulation vs denying access to customers PS4 libraries is quite a different animal.

Is this another example of SonyToo?

It's also a myth peddled by the likes of DF that the PC is 100% BC. It's not, hardly any of my old PC games work on either my modern PC's

Mephisto40

Show me the receipts that Sony is even rumored to be making this move.

Not offering PS2 emulation vs denying access to customers PS4 libraries is quite a different animal.

Is this another example of SonyToo?
They wont "deny access", they will give you access to the games via the cloud, which is better than nothing

And it's not exactly an example of anything other than common sense from a consumer point of view when we've seen it happen generation over generation for a long time now

It's a sad state of affairs yes, but the vast majority of consumers are not going to give a rats ass about ps4 games any more in 6 years time, which is why the ps4 games on the store will most likely be shelved to some cloud streaming solution

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Bc is fantastic imo. Im probably part of the problem but I would pay for updates to older games as the gens move forward. For example, if they added ray tracing to Fallout 3 or something 15 years later I would pay $10 bucks for that or something

diffusionx

Gold Member

Even with ARM they can maintain compatibility. Apple did exactly this switch with their computers with very few issues. The PS4 hardware is absolutely ancient at this point and no reason why a modern ARM couldn’t handle it with an emulation layer.

And also I think not including BC is just bad business. It’s not a good idea to tell your fans to start over for so many reasons.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Even with ARM they can maintain compatibility. Apple did exactly this switch with their computers with very few issues. The PS4 hardware is absolutely ancient at this point and no reason why a modern ARM couldn’t handle it with an emulation layer.

And also I think not including BC is just bad business. It’s not a good idea to tell your fans to start over for so many reasons.
Is arm really that far along?

angrod14

Cutting backwards compatibility would be a huge, huge mistake from companies. It's an expected feature at this point.

StueyDuck

On PC of course there aren't any "generations", but on consoles we've recently gotten used to backwards compatibility.

The PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. We expect that the PS6 will be backwards compatible with PS5 and PS4.
The Xbox Series consoles are backwards compatible with the Xbox One consoles. We expect that the next Xbox will continue the backwards compatibility.
The Switch wasn't backwards compatible but we're all expecting Nintendo's next console to be backwards compatible with the Switch.

Do you think we've reached a point in the industry where any of the major 3 can ever afford to break backwards compatibility for a new system? Or do we now expect that the console game purchases we make today will always be available to download and play on future consoles as well?
There's many old pc games that can't be played today without extensive extra steps and modding etc

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
On PC of course there aren't any "generations", but on consoles we've recently gotten used to backwards compatibility.

The PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. We expect that the PS6 will be backwards compatible with PS5 and PS4.
The Xbox Series consoles are backwards compatible with the Xbox One consoles. We expect that the next Xbox will continue the backwards compatibility.
The Switch wasn't backwards compatible but we're all expecting Nintendo's next console to be backwards compatible with the Switch.

Do you think we've reached a point in the industry where any of the major 3 can ever afford to break backwards compatibility for a new system? Or do we now expect that the console game purchases we make today will always be available to download and play on future consoles as well?
XSX is fully BC with Xbox One, 30% of Xbox 360 games (633) are BC with XSX and 6% (63) of original Xbox games are BC on XSX.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Backwards compatibility arrived with the early versions of the PS3 (20gb, and 60gb) since than Sony hasn’t stayed in touch with backwards compatibility.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yep, it’s impressive. But can it do ps4 level stuff?

Yes. Note that the primary thing holding back most ARM devices is the fact that they are handheld, fanless, and run on batteries. The CPUs have been more powerful than the PS4 CPU for a very long time and for GPU various solutions exist.

StereoVsn

Oh, sure, it “can” be done. However judging by Sony’s recent efforts for PS1 - PS3, it likely wouldn’t be done.

That said, I just don’t see Sony switching to Arm for PS6. While PS6 is probably around 4 years away, internally those discussions already started and PS5 Pro should be a test for some of the tech and design like PS4 Pro was.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Oh, sure, it “can” be done. However judging by Sony’s recent efforts for PS1 - PS3, it likely wouldn’t be done.

That said, I just don’t see Sony switching to Arm for PS6. While PS6 is probably around 4 years away, internally those discussions already started and PS5 Pro should be a test for some of the tech and design like PS4 Pro was.
I don't think you can compare ps1 support to PS4 support, especially when PS4 has already been done. I know Jim Ryan got shit on for saying how crappy those old games look and who the hell would want to play them, and I get it, but on some level, he's right and we all know he is.

If they do move to ARM it will be because of a huge computing shift towards it, and definitely not happening anytime soon.

StereoVsn

I don't think you can compare ps1 support to PS4 support, especially when PS4 has already been done. I know Jim Ryan got shit on for saying how crappy those old games look and who the hell would want to play them, and I get it, but on some level, he's right and we all know he is.

If they do move to ARM it will be because of a huge computing shift towards it, and definitely not happening anytime soon.
I guess we will see with PS7 sometime around mid ‘30s, lol. I am going to be in my 50s so wonder if I will even care then 😅.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes. Note that the primary thing holding back most ARM devices is the fact that they are handheld, fanless, and run on batteries. The CPUs have been more powerful than the PS4 CPU for a very long time and for GPU various solutions exist.
That’s pretty exciting. I’d like to see what all they come up with once they can really cut loose.

There's no reason the PS4 couldn't play PS1 or PS2 games, same for the PS5.

The PS5 has a special Jaguar compatibility mode. That might end up being the reason the PS5 Pro has Zen 2 cores instead of Zen 4, cuz they didn't want to pay AMD the time to do it again.

Sony is obviously in the business of selling new games... and at that point you figure demand for people to play PS4 games won't be that great by the time the PS6 launches. And for those, Sony could sell streaming.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
One scenario I was also thinking about:
Windows 11 was basically just Windows 10 with a service pack.
What if Windows 12 is very different and as a result breaks compatibility with a lot of 14+ year old games?
This is why Steam Deck and SteamOS exist. To pry PC gaming away from Windows. It's one giant beta test for accelerating the number of games that work with Proton compatibility layers. It's a substantial number at this point. Like 8-10K Verified or Playable.

Top Bottom