• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is backwards compatibility for the Switch 2?

Would a lack of backwards compatibility affect your purchasing decision for a Switch 2?

• Yes

Votes: 191 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 18.7%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
so important it could change futuristic societies

5cV.gif

KiteGr

Very.
As I don't have a switch 1, and if I get a switch 2 I would want access to the tittles I skipped.

xrnzaaas

It's very important in my opinion. Many Switch games are just waiting for the hardware upgrade to look & play better and you shouldn't pay for them again just because Nintendo can't introduce standard backwards compatibility.

Wizz-Art

I want BC too but you guys are weird. If the only feature you want is NS games, the system is already out

It is weird that I spend my money on things that give me the best value? I have a lot of physical Switch games, I'm hoping the next Nintendo console can play them better like Xbox did better resolution/higher FPS/added HDR etc., that would give me the incentive to buy the system on launch.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
There should be no problem with physical libraries. It's on Nintendo to come up with a proper solution.
I have no idea how that works. The point is that if the rumours are true about the new Switch, its not unreasonable to have new games suddenly jump to 80 gb in size or more, maybe the physical media they are using could be an issue. Could that affect the cartridge type?

BlackTron

It is weird that I spend my money on things that give me the best value? I have a lot of physical Switch games, I'm hoping the next Nintendo console can play them better like Xbox did better resolution/higher FPS/added HDR etc., that would give me the incentive to buy the system on launch.
Ok I can see playing the same games *better* being a big deal, but even if it has BC, don't count on those games being upgraded. I would expect the exact same play experience as on a normal Switch most likely, with improvements saved for new versions. Mario Odyssey Deluxe and all that

BlackTron

There should be no problem with physical libraries. It's on Nintendo to come up with a proper solution.
I was talking with my friend about this other day and our best hope is that new games need a new format but BC is so important to have in for them that it has two cart slots like the old DS had. Not only would it be a clear indicator of a superior format, but it would be convenient to get two slots lol

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I thought of how one reason I am resistant to buying digital games is because the games could possibly be locked to that hardware forever. Then I realized, “so what?”

I grew up with every game being “locked” to a particular console and it was fine. Hell, I still have a PS1 and PS2 connected in the other room to play those games. I have a perfectly working 3DS stored away. So what if Switch games are only ever available on the Switch?

Del_X

I really wonder if Nintendo wills sell upgrades for stuff like ToTK.

I think they'll do BC since they do whenever it's feasible.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't care about BC as much as I care about not having to spend Nintendo retail level money rebuying my whole switch library.

Ev1L AuRoN

Not only I would not buy an Switch 2 but I'll never trust Nintendo with my digital purchases again. The same is true for Sony. It's 2023, they need to figure it out.

BlackTron

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I thought of how one reason I am resistant to buying digital games is because the games could possibly be locked to that hardware forever. Then I realized, “so what?”

I grew up with every game being “locked” to a particular console and it was fine. Hell, I still have a PS1 and PS2 connected in the other room to play those games. I have a perfectly working 3DS stored away. So what if Switch games are only ever available on the Switch?

I might wait just in case the exact same game is on Switch 2, but better. You know, having lived through Nintendo as recently as WiiU=>Switch and as far back as Game Boy=>Game Boy Color

StereoVsn

I was talking with my friend about this other day and our best hope is that new games need a new format but BC is so important to have in for them that it has two cart slots like the old DS had. Not only would it be a clear indicator of a superior format, but it would be convenient to get two slots lol
That would be kind of tough. But whichever way they go, adapter, 2nd slot, etc, there needs to be physical cart BC.

I don’t see BC as deal breaker. Yet, I think it is important for main reason. Nintendo accounts and Nintendo online.

If Nintendo elects again to not have BC and not transfer over people’s purchases. What the hell are consumers paying Nintendo for? The “Nintendo Account” truly seems worthless.

Seriously. This is a honest question. Not having BC erodes confidence in the Online sector and e-shop. To the point where I would never advise anyone to buy anything Digital from Nintendo.

And I’m not here to listen to paid actors or zealots.

I honestly could not draw any other conclusion. We are in the year 2023. Nintendo Online as a technical service is subpar. (I’m being generous)

I’m not speaking to the retro games and collections nor the “99” titles. Those are nice additions.

I am speaking to the online ability compared to Sony and MS. Honestly, is no longer acceptable in 2023! And if you remove BC, what exactly are we paying for? The retro catalog? Which is fine. BUT…the DLC expansions included in NSO would not carry over either. So what is the point?

The botched Goldeneye port? Such a missed opportunity, it is unbelievable.

Next gen will likely have online heavy titles like COD, Madden, FIFA (EA FC), SFVI, etc. So if we aren’t paying for BC,I do not believe the average consumer will find typical Nintendo Online experience acceptable in 2023-2024.

I think Nintendo has opened a wonderful door with the hybrid concept. But they must fully commit to “all aspects” of the industry. Which in the past they have been reluctant to do.

If Nintendo is unwilling to do this, are they better off being owned and controlled by Microsoft, Disney or Apple?

This isn’t a rant. But a serious question. Online Nintendo has always been subpar. So with price of games, hardware and online services likely going higher…what is the value of a Nintendo account if it is NOT BC?

Last edited:
Top Bottom