• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a PS6

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a fully backwards compatible PS6

• Yes

Votes: 242 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 30.4%
  • There won’t be a PS6 🤡

Votes: 12 3.3%

• Total voters

solidus12

That is fully backwards compatible with PS1, PS2. PS3, PS4, and PS5.

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Comandr

That’s a tough one. Part of me says “yeah in a heartbeat” but then the other part of me says … “with all the PlayStation games coming to pc faster and faster, no probably not”

Ps5 might be the last PlayStation console I buy 🤷‍♂️

IFireflyl

Gold Member

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?

I initially voted no. But then I read your OP, and I saw full backwards compatibility with all PS1 and PS2 games. That alone is worth the extra C-note.

StereoVsn

If you throw in good upscaling as well as PSP and Vita games BC as well, I would legit pay $300-400 more.

GriffinCorp

Yes I would. I was so hoping that when Mark Cerny was talking about the new PS5 on the 2020 Sony showcase video that the PS4 line drawn slide discussing backward compatibility had just enough room to show the PS/PS2/PS3. I still don't understand why they were able to do it with the PS to PS3 and then again with PS3 but now the other issue is licensing for the games? If Sony could make it I would pay what they wanted. I hate that so many older titles are just forgot about.

I'll be honest... I'm not paying anything for the next Sony or Microsoft systems. I feel burnt by PS5 and Series X already, as they're mostly just extensions of PS4 and One X. The way things are going, there will be no need to upgrade because everything next gen will still be on PS5 and Series X, so I'll be good for the next decade and a half with what's already out.

AmuroChan

500-600$ for system that should last 8-10 years is a bargain, honestly. Gaming is pretty cheap compared to the cost of your average hobby

Yep. That became abundantly clear to me after having kids. The amount of money I spent on their toys, which they would play for maybe a few weeks and then never touch again, is staggering.

eerik9000

I know I am in a very small/non-existent minority, but I would pay €1000 for a PlayStation that doubled as a proper Blu-ray/multimedia player. Well, my OPPO UDP-203 was more expensive than my PS5 anyway...

PS4 Pro was my first PlayStation, but I bought a launch North American PS3 a few years later and was kind of amazed how much more functional and ambitious that "it only does everything" machine was. I completely understand why they were so gaming-only focused with PS4 (and PS5) and cut down everything else to save money and make it cheap, but the post-PS3 consoles are boring.

Absolutely.
I still have my BC PS3 Phat hooked up but I don't like using it for fear of failure, and I would love to have one machine.

One machine to rule them all. One machine to find them. One machine to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would, but Sony doesn't care about legacy backwards compatibility.
The PlayStation 4 and 5 can't even play audio CD's.
They just released a firmware update for the PS3 to allow it to continue being able to play Blu-Rays.
They would have to update the current PS store to add back PS3 games.
There's no chance that the current Sony does this.

We are going to pay an extra $100 for a PS5pro later this year.
Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Ivan

I would easily pay pc level of hardware prices for any console once in a generation for top of the line hardware since i prefer console gaming. On the other hand, I really like pc hardware advantages, so it would be a no brainer for me. It will never happen, of course.

Last edited:

Mithos

$100 more compared to the US price or $100 more compared to whatever price is elsewhere in the world?
Because a PS5 w/ disc drive is around us$675-700 without sales or offers here, so $100 more on top of that nope (will also not pay the us$675-700 for a PS5).

Leonidas

If it had full PS1-PS6 compatiblity sure, since I could probably sell my PS3 and cover most of the additional cost.

But face the facts, Sony would never do this. They would only do so if they charged you for the old games digitally. So I vote no.

PS6 will probably end up being $100 more, but the same situation as PS5, extremely limited BC, where the top PS6 Sony games show up on PC after a few years...

As a primarily PC player, the PS5 will likely be the last Sony console I ever buy (which has PS4 compatibility, but very limited PS1 & PSP compatibility).

XXL

I fully expect to pay an extra $100 regardless, that would line up with how much everything has gone up since the PS5 launched.

Cornbread78

Would buy it immediately, bit no way Sony does it, they are cowards

spons

Gold Member
That shit should've been included with the PS5 as it is. They have the resources, full reference documentation on the workings of past consoles, the engineers.
Even randos making emulators like PCSX2 and RPCS3 can do it just by reverse-engineering that shit. Just get it done.
At least Microsoft made a solid attempt at 360 BC, it works absolutely fine, bar the unsupported games due to licensing or whatever.

Top Bottom