• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a PS6

Would you pay an additional 100$ for a fully backwards compatible PS6

• Yes

Votes: 242 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 30.4%
  • There won’t be a PS6 🤡

Votes: 12 3.3%

• Total voters

PSYGN

FULLY backwards compatible without needing to repurchase software or be locked out of playing certain games? Yes. Just PS5 library? Hell no.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We need to focus on this gen! - Sony

Backwards compatibility with every previous gen would be terrific, and would replace a lot of consoles hooked up to a tv.

SoloCamo

Sticking to the same hardware for 7 years would be an abysmal experience.

Yup. The longest run I had was from my Oct 13th 2013 AMD 290X gpu (launch day) to 2019. I've gone through multiple gpu's since (RX580 8gb, Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VII and now a 6900XT). CPU's are typically the same way for me. Went from a FX-8120 to FX-8350 to FX-9590 (gifted mind you for the 9590) and then said screw it and picked up a 4790k and paired it with cl10 ddr3 2400mhz. That cpu took me to 2020 when I swapped it for a i9 10900 and the only reason for that is that I've played at 4k since 2014 so I'm almost always gpu bound. I've since repurposed my 10900 as a server and upgraded to a 11900k for better single core perfance and pci-e 4.0. Picked up a good z590 + 11900k both brand new a while back for barely over $300 from Newegg.

Long story short the ability to just plop in a new part is amazing. I reused the same case + psu from 2014 to 2023 so it's not nearly as expensive to upgrade as people make out. A lot of parts are reusable build to build.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Im gonna get a PS6 regardless.

It's likely gonna be the best value for money in terms of gaming performance at whatever price range it's at.

TheBomb

Man! I still don’t think comparing a PC to a Console is correct. A console for me means the game works no matter what.

What do you mean "additional"?
I didn't know there was an universal msrp for a console?

In any case, PlayStation is already way cheaper than they could be sold at. Proof is that PS5 was being scalped for a thousand dollars. Sony CAN sell it for more. Sony deliberately made it cheaper because they make more money in the long run having more install bases. Scalpers took advantage and siphon off the price difference. So the entire point of the thread is meaningless, we already know the answer.

1. Gamers will be willing to pay more
2. Sony would rather NOT make you pay more, so they can make more money in the long run.

TheBomb

BC is a nice feature, but it just makes the console more expensive. I frankly was excited with the PlayStation 3 BC at first, but it was not a big deal to have.

Realistically it's gonna be 100 more for PS5 Pro and 200 more for PS6. ;) Everything depends on the specs. I'd pay more if the performance boost was signifcant and my PS5 couldn't handle running new games on decent settings.
The ps6 wouldn’t be more expensive than the pro it would be the opposite if anything the pro is what I can see as high as 700 but the ps6 would be max 600

Idk. I will probably wait a bit. The cross gen period was more like a year because you started accruing a lot of games that were flat out better than last gen. Still technically cross gen but made the PS5 worth it. So at very least, I'm going to be motivated if games start looking shitty on PS5.

Also there is the lack of price drops. Almost better to sell your last gen one ASAP to get the most money. I was surprised a PS4 with three (very good, but old) games would get $200 so quickly.

A ps6 is hat does all that you're talking about? Sure, I guess. But the extra $100 will make me hesitate/wait more. I guess a lot of it would be if Microsoft brings the heat by then. I'll be looking $500 gpu. Mine is not going to keep up with next console gen, bit it will be alright through this one, so that would be the time.
Is your gpu as strong as the rumored gpu for the ps5 pro?

Robb

Gold Member
If the value proposition warrants an addition $100, sure.

If you’re asking if I’d pay an additional $100 for the BC specifically, then no. While I do love to play the classics I barely have the time to play the new titles as it is.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I hope all the games I want to play will be on the pc so i don't have to buy another console, it's so close other than a few asian titles so far:messenger_pensive:

0neAnd0nly

That is fully backwards compatible with PS1, PS2. PS3, PS4, and PS5.

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The b/c proposition is an interesting one, but certainly loaded and specific.

Right now - if Sony (and whoever else) treats the next gen like they do this one (barely any exclusives, lacking of major graphical / gameplay improvements, continued increased investment in GAAS) then probably not. I like my ps5 but to say I’m disappointed in this generation as a whole (as in, not exclusive to Sony) would be an understatement. The switch, even with its short comings compared to its counterparts - is the only console that felt like a new idea and pushed former boundaries. Ps5/ XB?, have sorely felt like they have been coasting. I will not invest in a 6 if that is the same course of action next time.

B/C would be an awesome selling point though, even if I do still own all the old consoles haha.

Crayon

Is your gpu as strong as the rumored gpu for the ps5 pro?

It's a 6600xt so it's short of a PS5 but can play almost anything well enough at the moment.

I don't know what the rumored gpu is, but I'm hoping the PS5 pro is good. I might be interested if games start to strain the normal one.

It's a 6600xt so it's short of a PS5 but can play almost anything well enough at the moment.

I don't know what the rumored gpu is, but I'm hoping the PS5 pro is good. I might be interested if games start to strain the normal one.
The pro is expected to be equal to or 5% above the 7800xt in pure raster but probably be almost a 4070 in rt. Though if you take the cpu rumors it will be bottlenecked to death

Crayon

The pro is expected to be equal to or 5% above the 7800xt in pure raster but probably be almost a 4070 in rt. Though if you take the cpu rumors it will be bottlenecked to death

If that's true then that sounds like a worthwhile bump in hardware depending on the price. It would be down to the games then. We've seen performance modes in some games that look ratty so if that gets more common then pro might be a good buy.

As for ray tracing, I think it's fascinating but really most implementations are still underwhelming. Maybe that could finally be changing but we'll see.

hlm666

rdna 3 has infinity cache and ada increased l2 cache substantially for performance gains, consoles normally stay away from huge caches for pricing reasons. What exactly are people expecting in this gpu for these kinds of improvements without big cache upgrades? Secondly the difference between a 7800xt vs 4070 in RT goes from about equal in light/single effect RT implementations to upwards of like 70% in heavy things like cp/aw2/p2. Those heavy games also use the shader execution reordering feature on ada for 20-30% gains. I'm not seeing where your going to get these increases if your only adding bvh accel hardware without the other things ada brought.

If these perf rumors are true AMD should not be skipping high end with rdna4 that's for sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’ll probably be $100 more just with inflation
And maybe even more than inflation if they want to bank margin. Consoles for Sony and Ms aren’t profit makers like Nintendo. And Sony is in margin making mode.

So you never know. Even a $700 system might just be a $500 in disguise with $100 for inflation and $100 profit per unit day one.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
£80 sure, but I gotta feeling it'll be more £170-£250 more for us Brits despite only being $100 more in the us

If there’s a discernible jump in PQ and graphics (e.g. 120hz, 4k, better ray tracing, etc) then I’d pay up to $700 for one. If it’s a marginal upgrade or devs don’t support it, I’ll pass on the pro like I did last gen.

Do you mean a PS6, with a $100 add on with this BC or do you just mean $100 over the price of a ps5? I would probably pay a 100 more for a ps6, as long as it seems like a somewhat fair price with specs/other features. I don't give a shit about BC though. I honestly hope Sony doesn't waste time trying to develop a solution for that, for multiple reasons:

1) I don't care to play my older games. I VERY rarely play a single player game after I beat it. Wayyyy too much to play in terms of newer games to care about that.

2) I really rather not go back to discs. I did buy the PS5 with a disc drive and literally have not used it once. Hell I don't even know if it works lol. Digital is so much more convenient, especially as there doesn't seem to be any good deals for disc based games anymore. RIP to best buy gamers club.

3) as someone who has owned every playstation, I barely have any disc based game pre PS3 anymore. So 2 generations is essentially useless in this scenario. Then to go of go back to my last point, all of my ps5 gamers are digital and about half of my ps4 games are too. It leaves me far too little options.

4) It would probably jack up the price for not a good reasln. I say this as someone who got a launch ps3, mainly due to BC. I used it 2 times throughout the entire gen.

In short, BC is just a waste of time. Create some new dope shit instead of playing old games please.

Last edited:

yanhash

You just insert the disc or download the game that you’ve previously purchased and you start playing.

Would you be interested in a hypothetical PS6 legacy edition that plays all your previous games whether discs or digital versions?

200.gif

rdna 3 has infinity cache and ada increased l2 cache substantially for performance gains, consoles normally stay away from huge caches for pricing reasons. What exactly are people expecting in this gpu for these kinds of improvements without big cache upgrades? Secondly the difference between a 7800xt vs 4070 in RT goes from about equal in light/single effect RT implementations to upwards of like 70% in heavy things like cp/aw2/p2. Those heavy games also use the shader execution reordering feature on ada for 20-30% gains. I'm not seeing where your going to get these increases if your only adding bvh accel hardware without the other things ada brought.

If these perf rumors are true AMD should not be skipping high end with rdna4 that's for sure.
The reason I said rt is expected to be near 4070 is because it’s using rdna 4 rt tech not 3

If that's true then that sounds like a worthwhile bump in hardware depending on the price. It would be down to the games then. We've seen performance modes in some games that look ratty so if that gets more common then pro might be a good buy.

As for ray tracing, I think it's fascinating but really most implementations are still underwhelming. Maybe that could finally be changing but we'll see.
I think this gpu upgrade is near the upper end of what I was expecting (the best I was expecting was a 7900xt and this wouldn’t be that far off) but this upgrade won’t be that great if the cpu rumors are true I hope it’s zen 5

Three

I have a feeling that Sony and MS saw the scalper prices on PS5 and the shortages and will increase the price without the "if it had...".

NahaNago

Sure why not. It seems pretty cheap to be able to play games from all of those systems.

edit: I always thought they should have had like a ps4.5 that had backwards compatibility but we got the pro instead.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes. Won’t really have any other choice for dedicated home console. I expect it will be $600-$700. What’s the only other option, a Xbox? lol

Last edited:

It's still mind boggling how they don't do this. Legacy game sales would immediately jump higher than they currently are.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I haven't even bought the PS5 yet 😂 Everytime I almost did they announced game is coming to PC and I'm like oh.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a feeling that Sony and MS saw the scalper prices on PS5 and the shortages and will increase the price without the "if it had...".
Yep. The ceiling for next gen is probably at least $200 higher than this gen based on that alone.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep. The ceiling for next gen is probably at least $200 higher than this gen based on that alone.
The best thing for conaole makers to jack up prices is just the general inflation trend. It makes no difference if a product line got nailed by inflation or not. Just tow the line and most people will just go with the flow and believe it is just.

Our company has raised prices on stuff for years. Sometimes it's justified as ingredients, packaging and shipping have gone up. Some stuff has barely cost more, but we increase anyways because we know market conditions people are accepting price increases, so might as well join them. Retailers are a-ok with it because they jack up prices too and customers buy. Most retailers have had giant sales and profits since covid hoarding, so their view is a 180 compared to before covid.

Before covid, trying to push through a price increase can be 6-12 month negotiations and the end result can be they still say fuck off or they say "Ok, we'll accept a 2% increase". Thats it.

But since covid hoarding, just about every retailer has accepted price increase with almost 100% pass through..... TO YOU THE CUSTOMERS. Yup, part of the price increases all you guys are paying isn't suppliers pushing through cost hikes. It's the stores just going with the flow and passing it on you after jacking it up more increasing their sales, profits and margin. They arent fighting for you anymore trying to keep costs down with lengthy pricing discussions. They greenlight that shit fast now in totality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom