• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

final boss can kiss the blackest part of my ass tbh

how does it compare to TNO's? that shit on Uber was not fun breh.
The final boss in TOB is very easy to deal with once you notice its gimmick. It's the opposite extreme of a final boss when directly comparing it to TNO's.

I think one of my biggest issues with this game and with TNO is that the enemies seem like they deal way too much damage way too fast in order for any sort of run and gunning to be useful at all, completely missing the point of an attempt at an "old school" shooter.

With how much I'm forced to hide behind cover and poke out to take potshots it feels more like I'm playing just another boring CoD clone. I don't see how anyone could possibly play this game running and gunning.
Run & gun can still work on Über in The Old Blood, but you admittedly have to be selective about it. It's an absolute no-go in open stretches like the bridge, whereas if you have obstacles to work around with like certain parts inside Castle Wolfenstein you can beeline straight for the commanders as you weave in between pieces of cover and flush out the rest afterwards... if you already know their general position. I still wouldn't compare it to the likes of DOOM in that respect though like you said; you can only realistically go in guns blazing on the default difficulty.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't realize there would be this much of a disapointment with The Old Blood. I thought it was equal measures as fantastic! Then again I wasn't really into the story of the first one anyways. I just really enjoyed the combat.

To be honest I probably sound a lot more negative than I actually mean to be because I'm a moaning fucker, since I've been harping on about my love for Wolf 09 lol. I have my issues with TNO and TOB, some big issues, but I still really enjoy them despite their flaws. Fun games.

Mdk7

Just beat the game, it does get better after the first chapters, but i honestly do feel a bit disappointed.
I came in with huge expectations after the amazing surprise that TNO was, and simply put this one didn't entertain me that much (and yeah, i know this is a 20$ expansion compared to a full priced game).

The shooting felt absolutely great as always, i definitely liked the level design a lot, but i missed the atmosphere of TNO, didn't always liked the pacing (it felt pretty off at times) and above all i didn't felt that great sense of progression of the original (they kept taking weapons from you when things were getting better, and sometimes the game felt like a succession of challenge rooms one after another).
Plus i didn't really like to fight
the zombies
: soldiers were just a lot better, and even interaction between them despite not being scripted were pretty basic.

Eventually it's kinda good, but far from the must buy experience that TNO was IMHO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will BJ ever find peace ;_;

dedhead54

I beat this last night and feel very satisfied with the purchase. I enjoyed it the entire way through (the first chapter didn't bother me like it did some others). Will definitely put a little more time in to it via the challenge levels and probably a full replay on higher difficulty. I was a little disappointed with the
bullet sponge final boss
but it didn't taint the whole experience or anything.

(I did not pay too much attention to the story of TNO, nor did I pay much attention this time around. Maybe even less so this time.)

teokrazia

Since launch for me on PC Challenge Leaderboards take an insane amout of time to load, when they decide to work.
Come on, Bethesda! -.-

Jito

Banned
A lot of you are holding this expansion to too high a standards, in no way would a £15/$20 be better than a full priced game like TNO. It's strange to see the complaints anyway, TOB has it all, gameplay, level design and atmosphere in spades, the one thing it's lacking is a ton of story or cutscenes, but I played TNO for the gameplay and the story was a nice surprising bonus.

The worst thing about this game is the fact that you have to press a button to pick up ammo, I can't believe they didn't fix that after TNO. It serves no purpose but to slow you down and make you look at the floor like a damn idiot.

Unit24

The worst thing about this game is the fact that you have to press a button to pick up ammo, I can't believe they didn't fix that after TNO. It serves no purpose but to slow you down and make you look at the floor like a damn idiot.

It doesn't need fixing, it's a feature. It makes you actually look at your surroundings and not just pick every thing up by mindlessly bumping into shelves. Plus, it allows you to selectively pick up armor and health pickups when you want to, so you don't accidentally waste overcharging health/armor.

Though I do agree that it is still kind of annoying.

Also the detection is a lot worse this time.

In tob you have to point your crosshair more exacly to pick shit up. Annoying as hell.

It doesn't need fixing, it's a feature. It makes you actually look at your surroundings and not just pick every thing up by mindlessly bumping into shelves. Plus, it allows you to selectively pick up armor and health pickups when you want to, so you don't accidentally waste overcharging health/armor.

Though I do agree that it is still kind of annoying.

I don't really mind having to use a button to pick up armor and health, as you said there is a certain strategy there, but there is just so much ammo everywhere in this game and it becomes a chore.

Unit24

I don't really mind having to use a button to pick up armor and health, as you said there is a certain strategy there, but there is just so much ammo everywhere in this game and it becomes a chore.

Oh yeah, for ammo it gets pretty bad. Running around mashing E gets old fast.

Is this still as slow and plodding as TNO was?

I gave up on TNO after about 5 hours because the gameplay felt like I was walking through molasses compared to Return to Castle Wofenstein.

Yeah

It doesn't know what it wants to be. On one hand, it wants you to be stealthy and tactical on tougher difficulties because enemies' bullets can be brutal and they love to flank, but its mechanics are more like that of a faster-paced arena shooter.

Sigh

Note: I made it past that one chokepoint...finally...and am now in the tavern.

Moff

Yeah

It doesn't know what it wants to be. On one hand, it wants you to be stealthy and tactical on tougher difficulties because enemies' bullets can be brutal and they love to flank, but its mechanics are more like that of a faster-paced arena shooter.

I don't see how that's a bad thing, quite the contrary, I think it's what TNO and TOB are exceptionally good at. that fluid transition between stealth and shootouts, it rarely feels that natural and unforced, very few other games have managed to do that so easily. goldeneye maybe, or crysis. it's really what machinegames' wolfenstein is best at. not only does it allow you to proceed how you wish, but it always feels rewarding and fluid in the process. of course it also has excellent level design that supports this kind of gameplay.

Jito

Banned
Yeah

Sigh

Note: I made it past that one chokepoint...finally...and am now in the tavern.

How is this a bad thing? Like Moff has said as well, hardly any shooters have such a good blend of stealth gameplay and all out shootouts. Wolfenstein allows you to stealth through whole sections if you want or just go guns blazing when ever you feel like it. The commanders are a clever idea as you can just take them out then gun everyone else down with little consequence, other times I purposefully got spotted so I could get into massive shootouts.

Are you still playing on the hardest difficulty and finding it too hard? That's a good way to ruin a game for yourself.

Just met
Annetta

Man, MachineGames have such a damn knack for throwing in earnest characterizations in all the midst of crazy Nazi-slaying

LOOOVING this game and i'm soooo fucking stoked to be playing another Wolfenstein (^______^)

I don't see how that's a bad thing, quite the contrary, I think it's what TNO and TOB are exceptionally good at. that fluid transition between stealth and shootouts, it rarely feels that natural and unforced, very few other games have managed to do that so easily. goldeneye maybe, or crysis. it's really what machinegames' wolfenstein is best at. not only does it allow you to proceed how you wish, but it always feels rewarding and fluid in the process. of course it also has excellent level design that supports this kind of gameplay.

How is this a bad thing? Like Moff has said as well, hardly any shooters have such a good blend of stealth gameplay and all out shootouts. Wolfenstein allows you to stealth through whole sections if you want or just go guns blazing when ever you feel like it. The commanders are a clever idea as you can just take them out then gun everyone else down with little consequence, other times I purposefully got spotted so I could get into massive shootouts.

Are you still playing on the hardest difficulty and finding it too hard? That's a good way to ruin a game for yourself.

I switched to I am Death Incarnate, but am still finding it somewhat challenging. I normally play shooters on hard or super hard, though, so there's just something about these old school mechanics and my play style I guess.

I don't hate it, and I don't think it's bad. I just think it's "okay," like TNO was. A lot of people loved it, but I know I wasn't alone in finding it to be underwhelming.

The game just doesn't feel balanced. It's unfair and cheap, and has an identity crisis.

AJ_Wings

I switched to I am Death Incarnate, but am still finding it somewhat challenging. I normally play shooters on hard or super hard, though, so there's just something about these old school mechanics and my play style I guess.

I don't hate it, and I don't think it's bad. I just think it's "okay," like TNO was. A lot of people loved it, but I know I wasn't alone in finding it to be underwhelming.

The game just doesn't feel balanced. It's unfair and cheap, and has an identity crisis.

In this case, I'd recommend starting on Bring'em on (medium) to unlock the majority of the perks then move up the difficulty where it suits you. Not a big fan of this design decision personally especially with how they handle some of the more useful perks like being able to store miniguns in your inventory (Super useful!) but both TNO and TOB are such a joy to replay that I honestly don't mind in the end.

It's something I hope they address in the inevitable next Wolfenstein though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished and overall I thought the second half was much better, I loved how much it felt like the older Wolfensteins, so much so it's probably my favourite part from TNO/Old Blood overall. Such a great throwback to the other entries but then I love the occult part of Wolfenstein. The ending just made me think 'poor B.J.' with what's to come in TNO.

Good value though for £11 and certainly worth the money. My biggest complaints are the sound mix still sounding a bit fucked and how fucking awful the double barrel/sawn off shotgun remains. Was really hoping they'd improve those overall but I still had a great time overall.

It's definitely up there with FC Blood Dragon and Call Of Juarez Gunslinger though as a decent piece of standalone DLC.

I know where you're coming though I don't really agree it has an identity crisis, more that it forces you to use more of its mechanics on the higher difficulties including the stealth. I still did plenty of running and gunning on I Am Death Incarnate but it's more picking your moments when to do it rather than constantly doing it. I must admit though I turned the difficulty down to Bring Em On after a while on the last boss, just laziness on my part. :p

Moff

I guess you play with a pad? I finished it on uber easily with a mouse, and I usually don't play shooters or any kind of game on hard or higher. I don't see how it's unfair, this is not a call of duty where 4 enemies throw 5 grenades at the spot you are exactly at. whenever I died, I knew it was my fault, I didn't cover well enough or didn't shoot accurate enough.
and as I said already, I don't agree the game has and identity crisis, I think it's exactly what it wants to be and excels at it.

Finally finished and overall I thought the second half was much better, I loved how much it felt like the older Wolfensteins, so much so it's probably my favourite part from TNO/Old Blood overall. Such a great throwback to the other entries but then I love the occult part of Wolfenstein. The ending just made me think 'poor B.J.' with what's to come in TNO.

Its why im loving it so much. It really is like RTCW HD. I mean even Kessler has a bit part in in RTCW, and again in RTCW you ecape Castle Wolfenstein via Cable Car to Wulfburg...exactly how you do in TOB. But the return of the occult stuff, Castles, Crypts, and the way you can pit Nazis against
Zombies
for a 3 way fight later on again just like in RTCW is awesome.
I loved the whole section in Wulfburg. The Beerhall scene was awesome. Machinegames really do some of the best NPC dialogue ever. Really hope theyre working on another Wolf title.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Its why im loving it so much. It really is like RTCW HD. I mean even Kessler has a bit part in in RTCW, and again in RTCW you ecape Castle Wolfenstein via Cable Car to Wulfburg...exactly how you do in TOB. But the return of the occult stuff, Castles, Crypts, and the way you can pit Nazis against
Zombies
for a 3 way fight later on again just like in RTCW is awesome.
I loved the whole section in Wulfburg. The Beerhall scene was awesome. Machinegames really do some of the best NPC dialogue ever. Really hope theyre working on another Wolf title.

I thought you'd enjoy it too Brer cause of the second half as well :p

I think we'll get another MachineGames Wolfenstein game, Bethesda seemed to be relatively happy with how TNO performed or at least aren't calling anything to do with it disappointing. All they need to do now is hire the sound designer who did Syndicate for Starbreeze.

Arkanius

Guys is it me or the game is blurier than usual?
I'm playing at 1080p but it feels way lower. I everything almost maxed out (no AA or Space screen occlusions though)

32 ppf
4098 Shadow Maps

Just arrived at Wolfburg.
What an absolute joy of a game. MachineGames are really masters of the Singleplayer FPS shooter right now

Ricker

Damn that last section in chapter 3 was hard(on normal lol)...took me a lot tries before finding that alcove where you can get your bearings back a bit,thank god.

KorrZ

I was prepared to hate chapter 1 after reading this thread but I played through 1 and 2 last night and am confused by the response...

Chapter 1 seemed totally fine to me. It starts off stealthy and eventually you get your guns back and go guns blazing again. It even seemed to pick up faster than the intro of TNO for me...so what was it that you guys didn't like? Is it that this doesn't have the narrative pull that TNO did in the intro? That's the only thing missing for me so far. Gameplay wise it seems that I've gotten a lot more tools a lot more quickly. The bolt action rifle is so awesome and you get dual shotguns relatively quick + the new grenade launcher gun.

I don't see how this is hard. I have a finger ready on the button all the time. It's not a huge hassle and makes you explore the environment. I don't see what a better solution would be really.

I don't see how this is hard. I have a finger ready on the button all the time. It's not a huge hassle and makes you explore the environment. I don't see what a better solution would be really.

It's not hard, it's tedious, there is a reason why in UT and Quake you pick up ammo just by running over it or coming near it. There is nothing gained by having to press a button when you want to pick up ammo, you always want to pick up ammo and there's lots of it.

Marjar

Banned
Yeah I gotta say, I'm not liking this at all. I'm forcing myself to play through it just like I was with TNO. I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided to buy this.

I'm playing on just Bring Em On and any attempts at running and gunning is met with dying within seconds. I'm forced to constantly just stay behind cover and take pot shots. This is honestly painfully unfun.

Yeah I gotta say, I'm not liking this at all. I'm forcing myself to play through it just like I was with TNO. I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided to buy this.

I'm playing on just Bring Em On and any attempts at running and gunning is met with dying within seconds. I'm forced to constantly just stay behind cover and take pot shots. This is honestly painfully unfun.

I was running and gunning on Death Incarnate. Are you playing on console?

Jito

Banned

I played through the whole thing running and gunning on Death Incarnate on PS4, I assume he's just bad at the game if he can't run and gun on normal. There's no auto aim so maybe that's their problem, you actually have to aim unlike most other console shooters.

Just aim for the head all of the time, some enemies can take too many shots to the chest even though they appear unarmored.

The only guys that don't have a weak head in this game are the ubersoldiers, but you just grenade the shit out of them.

Moff

I was prepared to hate chapter 1 after reading this thread but I played through 1 and 2 last night and am confused by the response...

Chapter 1 seemed totally fine to me. It starts off stealthy and eventually you get your guns back and go guns blazing again. It even seemed to pick up faster than the intro of TNO for me...so what was it that you guys didn't like? Is it that this doesn't have the narrative pull that TNO did in the intro? That's the only thing missing for me so far. Gameplay wise it seems that I've gotten a lot more tools a lot more quickly. The bolt action rifle is so awesome and you get dual shotguns relatively quick + the new grenade launcher gun.
the passages with the super soldiers where you have so sneak and disconnect them is the worst part of the game in my opinion. as soon as you get your guns it's fine.

It's not hard, it's tedious, there is a reason why in UT and Quake you pick up ammo just by running over it or coming near it. There is nothing gained by having to press a button when you want to pick up ammo, you always want to pick up ammo and there's lots of it.

Agreed

Having to take a moment to manually pick up ammunition during a heated gunfight is pure stupidity.

Marjar

Banned

Yeah but I honestly have no idea how you're supposed to survive running and gunning.

The audio mixing is godawful, so I can't tell where enemies are shooting me from or even if they're nearby. They blend into the environment too which doesn't help either. Every time I've tried running and gunning, I get swamped by enemies that seem to just spawn out of nowhere and boom there goes all my health in seconds. I really just don't understand how you're supposed to run and gun in this game.

Just aim for the head all of the time, some enemies can take too many shots to the chest even though they appear unarmored.

The only guys that don't have a weak head in this game are the ubersoldiers, but you just grenade the shit out of them.

Yeah I have been. My aim is fine honestly. Enemies are dying, but they just don't stop coming. For the record, I'm at the end of Chapter 4 I think.

I dunno, I'm just really not enjoying this at all. I like FPS games, and I'm at least decent at FPS games. I would have gotten this for PC if I didn't already know that it would run like crap like TNO did.

Yeah I have been. My aim is fine honestly. Enemies are dying, but they just don't stop coming. For the record, I'm at the end of Chapter 4 I think.

I dunno, I'm just really not enjoying this at all. I like FPS games, and I'm at least decent at FPS games. I would have gotten this for PC if I didn't already know that it would run like crap like TNO did.

Yeah I can see that, TNO and TOB have a weird level design where it's not linear enough for a pure run and gun and not open enough for you to take the enemies how you please. It's more of a circular game, you run around in circles and gun people until all of them die.

Jito

Banned
Yeah but I honestly have no idea how you're supposed to survive running and gunning.

The audio mixing is godawful, so I can't tell where enemies are shooting me from or even if they're nearby. They blend into the environment too which doesn't help either. Every time I've tried running and gunning, I get swamped by enemies that seem to just spawn out of nowhere and boom there goes all my health in seconds. I really just don't understand how you're supposed to run and gun in this game.

Are you paying attention to your health and armour during fights? You'll lose your health very quickly if you have no armour, you need to keep both stocked up to stay alive during fights (unsurprisingly :p)

Marjar

Banned
Are you paying attention to your health and armour during fights? You'll lose your health very quickly if you have no armour, you need to keep both stocked up to stay alive during fights (unsurprisingly :p)

Yeah I am, or at least I'm trying to. I recall one time I had like 140 health and some armor, then suddenly ran into an enemy who somehow managed to get it down to 40 in like 2 seconds. I really don't understand how you're supposed to do this.

Dahaka

I'm most likely very late with this question but is the sound mix as AWFUL as TNO? It killed like 70% of the game for me. Worst I experienced in years.

Did they learn?

Krakn3Dfx

About 3 hours into TNO after finishing Old Blood. I liked Old Blood a lot, but I can already feel how much more work and time was put into the story and characters in TNO. Planning to get through it over the next week before Witcher 3 hopefully.

I'm most likely very late with this question but is the sound mix as AWFUL as TNO? It killed like 70% of the game for me. Worst I experienced in years.

Did they learn?

Nah, you just have to turn your TV/sound system higher than normal. The balance itself is much better than TNO.

Drewfonse

Are you aiming down the sights? If you are, try playing primarily not ADS. I find that it is more fun and a bit easier when you do this.

I just found a secret area, underwater. It just seems like an empty room blocked by a wooden wall I can't seem to get past. Is that it? Is there a way to attack or break the wood underwater?

Top Bottom