• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

mf.luder

Really looking forward to the retail release for this. I'm completely dark on it but only know that I loved TNO and was hyped for this. Will check back in once it's released.

Reichenstein7 from Steam made some comparison pics from Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) to Wolfenstein The Old Blood (2015). Pretty cool.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Reichenstein7/images/?appid=350080

kamsnIx.jpg

aEZnoD3.jpg

2j1Cpjb.jpg

EpCqhj7.jpg

CHBzoAW.jpg

So cool!

thanks! (^_____^)

Haines

Banned
Is this a permanent price drop to 12.99 Canadian?

I can't seem to find anything stating its on sale.

If its a price drop I'll prob just be greedy and wait for a sale on it BC I already have a backlog.

How long does it take to clear? I'm really tempted to get this, even with that insane download size.
Took me around 7-8 hours to play the main story. Might take you as few as 6 depending on skill and the difficulty setting you choose. If you're at all interested in stuff like the Platinum trophy and/or doing the challenge rooms, you might add on another 8-10 hours.

Picked it up for 4 euros at gmg (deal is still up, use 20% off code).
Really enjoyed TNO so I should have a good time, now to wait for it it download lol.

Grisby

I had forgotten how awesome Wolfy gameplay is. I think the beginning of the game is a bit boring, but it seems like it's been picking up. Just
escaped the castle.

And the VA for BJ remains amazing.

I bought both of these games a couple of weeks ago, I was bored one night so I decided to download The Old Blood for $40, then I thought I should really play them in the order they came out (even though Old is a prequel) so I went and bought the retail version of The New Order the next day for $35. Big mistake, really should've tried the game out before buying both copies lol because this game is sooo fiddly when it comes to picking up ammo and stuff. I wanted to just run through blasting stuff but the pickup system and the pacing of the game along with having heaps of secrets just brings the action to a crawl on numerous ocasions. Have only played approx 2-3 hours of The New Order, haven't even touched The Old Blood but don't think I will be playing anymore of either. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Grisby

On chapter 8 of Old Blood. There was a really great moment where the level, the music, and what was going on just all came together.

Really hope Machine is working on Ze Wolfy Vanderful Gun Time 2 sequel.

Music in particular.

And a quote.
"'was a kid, we had a monster in our basement. My father said if I done wrong it'd creep out at night and come for me. I tried to do no wrong. But the monster came all the same."

On chapter 8 of Old Blood. There was a really great moment where the level, the music, and what was going on just all came together.

Music in particular.

And a quote.
"'was a kid, we had a monster in our basement. My father said if I done wrong it'd creep out at night and come for me. I tried to do no wrong. But the monster came all the same."
The quotes don't come in quite as strong as in TNO, but still some nice gems like that one.

Music in particular.

And a quote.

That line kicked my heart in the balls and I can't explain why

I've nearly beaten this game and I've had such a blast through it so far. Absolute steal for $4.

I was not at all a fan of the story in TNO, so the story here pretty much hit me mostly the same. He just didn't get laid this time about. I feel like Machine Games isn't really great at transitioning from gameplay into a cutscene, or maybe they don't focus on it so much. They have two methods: you get to talk to a friendly for a moment in a total-or-near safe environment, or you get paralyzed by some antagonist in which they just mock you and shit. I never liked that about either of these games, but I am not ever playing it for that. I play it to shoot nazis with an automatic rifle in each hand.
Zombies on fire are a huge bonus. :D

I gotta say, I really love the environments of the game. iD Tech 5 is a shitty engine when it's down in the numbers and code game, but it can project some gorgeous worlds. The post-damned village at the base of Castle Wolfenstein was really beautiful, as well as the graveyard. Lighting, fog, and all that jazz. So lovely. It's too bad the game's use of Bink Video is fucked, since I often got the green screen cutscenes bug or whatever happening. I can see the plague of texture pop-ins if I turn a little fast. They really need to fix that stuff.

This game knows when to startle you at just the right moments. I remember screaming "OH SHIT!" when you get jumped by the giant robo-hound after that tense firefight ended at the checkpoint. Bloody amazing, really.

pj

Banned
Recently beat TNO and TOB, enjoyed them both a lot. New Order had the nice touches of a game with a much longer development time, but I think I enjoyed the gameplay of Old Blood more. The challenge arena style level design was fun and it still had the great balance between stealth and blast everything gameplay. It's great that when you choose to go stealth, the consequence of being detected is that you whip out your dual shotguns and blow fools to pieces.

The worst part of both games is the first level. I don't think machine games could make a good opening to save their lives.

Also the graphics of TOB are surprisingly improved over TNO. Extremely nice looking at times.

So quick question, I got the disc version of Old Blood today, but haven't played New Order yet.

I prefer to play games in order of release, but have been waiting for a really good deal for the PS4 version of NO before getting it, which hasn't happened yet. I got a decent deal on Old Blood though, so here I am.

Is it going to ruin anything story or gameplay-wise for me if I just jump in with Old Blood now? I may or may not play NO in the future depending on whatever deals come up here, but I would eventually like to.

I read the bit about not needing to play NO in the OP, but I just wanted a second opinion now that both games are out.

So quick question, I got the disc version of Old Blood today, but haven't played New Order yet.

I prefer to play games in order of release, but have been waiting for a really good deal for the PS4 version of NO before getting it, which hasn't happened yet. I got a decent deal on Old Blood though, so here I am.

Is it going to ruin anything story or gameplay-wise for me if I just jump in with Old Blood now? I may or may not play NO in the future depending on whatever deals come up here, but I would eventually like to.

I read the bit about not needing to play NO in the OP, but I just wanted a second opinion now that both games are out.

Haha, this is literally what I came in here to post. I have both now but don't which would be the better order to play. Should I go chronological or will Old Blood "spoil" some thing in NO? Should I do NO first and then pick up on references in Old Blood? What does everyone who has played both think?

Lumine

Finished this recently. I agree that it's not quite as good as The New Order, but still great.
Failing to save Anette felt like such a punch in the gut. They handled that surprisingly well considering how she gets killed and how little we got to see of her to begin with. Same for Pippa. Machinegames does characterization really well. I mean for a pulpy FPS like this. Did not like the Monstrosity though. The inclusion of the nightmare levels (old wolfenstein) felt a little cheap too and ruined the pacing a bit. I would often just rush through them to get back to the main game asap or just skip them entirely.

Haha, this is literally what I came in here to post. I have both now but don't which would be the better order to play. Should I go chronological or will Old Blood "spoil" some thing in NO? Should I do NO first and then pick up on references in Old Blood? What does everyone who has played both think?

It doesn't matter that much. I'd recommend playing them in order of release, but The Old Blood is sort of a prequel standalone side-story to TNO so you should be OK playing it first if you wanted to. Still, if you can pick up TNO and play that first I'd recommend doing that. It probably does a better job introducing the games' world to you.

Picked this up over the black friday PSN sale and slowly making my way through. I'm halfway through now, at the very beginning of part 2.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed with it. I knew it was pretty divisive beforehand, and I read some of the complaints, but I still thought I was going to like it more than I am. I'll start with what I like about it though:

-Amazing art direction. People give the machinegame Wolfenstein games shit for not looking good, but I honestly think they look seriously fantastic. Old Blood might have even better art direction than New Order too, I love the more retro vibe and gothic spookiness of it. Every area is joy to explore because it all looks so good, and is my favorite part of this DLC/expansion/prequel so far.

-Gunplay remains fantastic. Seriously one of, if not the, best FPS's in terms of weapon feedback (gun sounds notwithstanding, sadly). The new bolt action rifle is amazing too, I love the head popping.

Sadly, that's about it as far as the positives so far. My main issue is the encounter design in tandem with the pacing. This game is much, much less story heavy than New Order (one of the strengths) and often you will go like an hour or more of playing and then the only development you get are diary entries and then a line or two from BJ. Which leaves the meat of the game as just combat encounter after combat encounter, without any of the exploration/pacing sections New Order was so good at. And the encounters themselves are worse, as almost every single one has two commanders that are increasingly further spread out, and an abundance of armored enemies and special enemies that pour out from every nook and cranny of the maps as you try and rush your way to the commanders should you fail to make it to them stealthily. And stealth is a lot harder this time because the arenas are much more open so enemies can spot you easier, are filled with special enemies that can't be stealth killed from range, dudes with helmets that you can't stealth drop with headshots, and a dire lack of throwing knives.

It takes all the flaws of New Order's encounter and enemy design (which held it back from being my #1 GOTY in 2014) and magnifies them to a frustrating degree, which in turn magnifies some of the core problems with the mechanics (at least on console). I find myself constantly irritated with having to manually pick up ammo and health in the heat of an encounter, having to fiddle with the finicky weapon wheel that doesn't slow time or anything, and having a useless overcharge system and really quick damage degradation with an almost useless regen system (both because you take damage so quickly), all while you're taking shots from every angle. This leads to having to stay in cover when the game excels when you're mobile. I had to turn the difficulty down to normal to play it more enjoyably (something I only had to do in New Order for one encounter), and even then it's still annoying.

Maybe the second half will be better, but I kinda doubt it considering the very first encounter is just like the ones in the first half except the commanders are ever further spread apart.

... I find myself constantly irritated with having to manually pick up ammo and health in the heat of an encounter, having to fiddle with the finicky weapon wheel that doesn't slow time or anything, and having a useless overcharge system and really quick damage degradation with an almost useless regen system (both because you take damage so quickly), all while you're taking shots from every angle. This leads to having to stay in cover when the game excels when you're mobile.
I love Wolfenstein, but yeah, the option to automatically pick up health and armor, while leaving overcharges as a manual choice would do fucking wonders for this game.

IISANDERII

Bought this for $6 in the flash sale and so far I like it more than the New Order for one simple reason: The bolt action rifle. That was my major complaint about New Order was that your main weapon was a boring full auto AR. Single shot weapons are way more satisfying for me.

I know I'm six months on from the last post in this thread, but I just started this yesterday on PC and holy shit at the performance. My specs are: i5 4690k, 8gb RAM, 2gb GTX 760. Not the hottest PC around, but no slouch either.

I just played through and greatly enjoyed The New Order, getting a smooth framerate all the way through on medium settings.

This game hitches and freezes all the time, frequently dropping to effectively 0fps for up to 10 seconds at a time. This is no overstatement, the game is actually unplayable. I can't understand it! I even tried it on low settings and it's exactly the same.

Anyone have anything similar?

ArjanN

I know I'm six months on from the last post in this thread, but I just started this yesterday on PC and holy shit at the performance. My specs are: i5 4690k, 8gb RAM, 2gb GTX 760. Not the hottest PC around, but no slouch either.

I just played through and greatly enjoyed The New Order, getting a smooth framerate all the way through on medium settings.

This game hitches and freezes all the time, frequently dropping to effectively 0fps for up to 10 seconds at a time. This is no overstatement, the game is actually unplayable. I can't understand it! I even tried it on low settings and it's exactly the same.

Anyone have anything similar?

That's definitely a bug, performance should be about the same as TNO.

just finished this and really really enjoyed it

The future alt-history might not have been there but it did a few things better than the new order I thought (pacing being the main factor, gunplay seems slightly better too)

It's crazy how much worse the first main level is in comparison to the other 7 chapters

Rudi Jaegar was also awesome, loved him.

Besides the first level sucking there was one other noticeable complaint I had
apparently you choose to save Kessler or Anette but I didn't even realize, I saved Kessler but they could have made it a little clearer imo

Top Bottom