• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Finished the game the other day.

It's good, but a couple of the new things they introduced weren't as fun as they needed to be to carry the game. Spoilers follow.

- The "puzzle" rooms with the supersoldiers where you had to shut em down weren't very fun. They weren't offensively bad, just kinda bleh
- The zombies were unbelievably trivial to fight. Now maybe things are different on hard mode, but on normal they barely damage you and even if they did 4x that damage per hit it wouldn't be too hard to survive. The assault rifle is super accurate without scoping and has a 30 round magazine and is amazing for just popping their heads all off simultaneously., They kept dropping shotgun ammo as though that was the most effective way to fight them, but it wasn't. The AR was. The zombies are a big part of the late game, and it pretty much fell flat for me. Just not that fun, too easy.

Core game is still great fun though. Excited for where they go next with the series.

Kinda wish they saved Castle Wolfenstien for a future full length game, but I definitely enjoyed my time with the Old Blood.

I never actually finished The New Order for whatever reason...gonna get back on that now.

So I don't know what's happened to my skills but..

Well I'm a little embarassed to post this but I have died 67 times on Bring Em On (only starting Chapter 3)

Did they up the difficulty or something? Because I'm just getting destroyed left and right.
That stealth section in Chapter 1 was my biggest gripe but all the other deaths have been me being stupid or unprepared.

Anyways bottom line, I'm not enjoying this as much as The New Order (and that was a GOTY contender for me) but I'm gonna keep going but shit, I am rusty as hell.

I hope I can keep that number to a modest one by endgame.

Gonna get my mate a PS4 game for his bday.

I'm thinking of picking up either this or the original game?

I can pick this up for £14, and I can pick up the original for £20. I'd rather spend less since I'm stretched for cash but if the standalone is a lot worse or whatever I'll deal with it. Which would you buy?
Get him The New Order if you can. If he likes it enough, he can get the standalone later!

Well I'm a little embarassed to post this but I have died 67 times on Bring Em On (only starting Chapter 3)

Did they up the difficulty or something? Because I'm just getting destroyed left and right.
That stealth section in Chapter 1 was my biggest gripe but all the other deaths have been me being stupid or unprepared.

Anyways bottom line, I'm not enjoying this as much as The New Order (and that was a GOTY contender for me) but I'm gonna keep going but shit, I am rusty as hell.

It seems tougher to me too!

Sweep14

Great game, just finished it in über

would have liked close combat in it though

bGxrVdv.gif

WoodWERD

Anyone else not getting the trophy for all nightmare levels? Have all of them beat, just need the challenge levels done and I'll have platinum. Won't be in a hurry to finish those I guess.

Yeesh, finally made it to Chapter 5 and I'm now up to 115 deaths. I actually fared better/got lucky in some sections but damn are there some bullet sponges in this game or what. I'll probably finish the game this weekend, I have not enjoyed it as much as TNO, I'm a little annoyed by the cheapness at times but it is a solid challenge. If anything I'm still going back to it, so it must not bother me too much.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat the game yesterday on Über (my first playthrough). Took about 7 hours. I think its a pretty good game :) Now i'm playing it to collect the trophies i missed. I probably wont be able to get the platinum trophy though, because those challenge rooms are pretty hard. I tried two of them and all i got was silver. Reloading kills the combo meter too fast.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Definitely seems harder than TNO. Even on the absolutely lowest difficulty I struggled way more to complete the game than I did with TNO.

And good Lord does that forced stealth section suck.

test_account

XP-39C²
What is the 1st (or 2nd) character art unlock in Chapter 3? It says that i'm missing one, but i cant find it.

I beat the game yesterday on Über (my first playthrough). Took about 7 hours. I think its a pretty good game :) Now i'm playing it to collect the trophies i missed. I probably wont be able to get the platinum trophy though, because those challenge rooms are pretty hard. I tried two of them and all i got was silver. Reloading kills the combo meter too fast.
Quoting myself since i didnt know at the time that you could change the difficulty level. I thought the gold medals were hidden. I've got gold on the two first challenges now, i might have a chance on getting the platinum trophy afterall.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Need to complete the last 4 challenge rooms to get my platinum. Just finished Paderborn bridge and it was a bitch. I kept coming up a few hundred points short.

LTTP but finally finished this

Long story short, LOOOVED it (^_____^)

Ultimately feel that TNO gets the better story/experience, whild Old Blood gets the better gameplay, especially with the challenge rooms (and those lovely Nightmare levels!)
Bless MachineGames for what they created, which are two of my favorite FPSs :)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Got the platinum! I was using a guide for the challenge map trophies and it was really helpful but I had a lot of trouble with the Wulfburg challenge map. I failed it god knows how many times going by the guide. I found another video and got it done in less than 4 minutes. If anybody is having problems with the challenges I'd use the videos below. The second link is a better, quicker way of getting gold on Wulfburg

All Challenge maps

Easy guide for Wulfburg

Ultimately feel that TNO gets the better story/experience, whild Old Blood gets the better gameplay, especially with the challenge rooms
I loved the challenge rooms too, and am still surprised they got mostly overlooked or hand-waved away in reviews.

My only gripes are that the zombies weren't very interesting to fight, so I preferred the first half. The second half had some great stealth/shoot-fucking-everything areas though.

Well worth it imho.

I'll agree on there not being as many narrative pinnings for the levels and scenarios, but that seemed understandable for 1 year of development. I don't see the big disappointment, though.

The combat scenarios are more fun and longer with the multipath level design. Enemies do more flanking than in TNO.

The characterisation of Annette was really cool, and even better that the ending is changed.
ibazY03FmMtOrp.jpg

Pippa was cool, too, for however short a time she had for a shorter game.

There's a lot of funny conversations with the characters, and the enemies.

Blazko's monologues are still good, and the last one in particular
"And then I can rest"
is poignant. Blazko going "jesus christ, that's a big fucking dog" in the prison had me howling.

Getting to see Nazis just hanging around, getting drunk, laugh, having gos at each other, and give each other heart-to-hearts at the tavern is way more characterisation to the regular grunts than anything in TNO.
ibyPAcf99twuIE.jpg

It's typical Starbreeze stuff, giving the enemies a lot of personality before you murder them.

The assault rifle with rocket launcher attachment is exactly replaced by the Kampfpistole.

The end music track is as epic and emotional, even a bit more, than TNO. The ending itself is damn bittersweet. I liked the foreboding sadness that the whole game has going for it, cause of what's going to happen in TNO.

Okay, this post is spot the fuck on! :)

WoodWERD

Anyone else not getting the trophy for all nightmare levels? Have all of them beat, just need the challenge levels done and I'll have platinum. Won't be in a hurry to finish those I guess.

Other people have had this problem apparently, seems to be caused if you start a new game vs. replaying them through chapter select. What a pain.

Thanks for this...I've been stuck on Cable Car.

Finished The New Order last night and bought The Old Blood off Amazon this morning. Really enjoyed TNO and can't wait to play the prequel this weekend.

Anung

Un Rama
Got all trophies except challanges. I hate replaying challanges because of the long cutscene that plays every damn time

Yeah, that loading cut-scene is a pain in the ass. I did enjoy actually doing the challenges though. It was nice being able to mess around with the gameplay with out the confines of the story.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got the platinum trophy a few days ago :) I'm still wondering how to unlock one of the characters info in level 3 though. I've done the nightmare level and unlocked one there, but where is the last one?

Got all trophies except challanges. I hate replaying challanges because of the long cutscene that plays every damn time
Yeah, that loading cut-scene is a pain in the ass. I did enjoy actually doing the challenges though. It was nice being able to mess around with the gameplay with out the confines of the story.
Just press some of the buttons the when replaying the challenge, then you get a prompt (square button on PS4) to skip the cutscene. The loading time when doing a challenge the 2nd time is about 5-7 second if i should guess.

was a bit disappointed with the first part. I felt that we didn't see much of the castle in the end, but the library and the main hall with the giant chimney. I didn't care much for the very HL2 looking dog kernels or the underused prisoners ward. I wished we would see more of the castle ala Return to Castle Wolfestein.

Second part was bonkers though. It was perfect

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had been saving this (and Dying Light) for my 3 week cottage seclusion and am loving it except for one thing: The quick-turn. What a fucking frustrating pain in the ass. It's been the cause of numerous deaths. Stupidest idea ever to put it on L3.

Having some trouble with the cable car challenge room. Should I let the commanders notice me? I'm finishing it, but not hitting the points.

The scoring mechanics for the last few challenges are such bs. Guards won't turn into zombies if they're: gibbed, throwing a grenade, near a ledge, jumping down, knocked down, standing on stairs, first alerted to your presence, and sometimes seemingly just randomly.

I make it to chapter 15 on über and it appears my save file is corrupted ? All the game does is crash and restart now so I guess I have to delete everything and restart from scratch?

Or will updating with the patch help ?

My mood right now

fuck-this-thing-cat.gif

O.DOGG

So, those of you who have played through this, how is it? Is it worth the $10 it's going for on Steam right now?

Well just need to beat the final boss...and I'm stuck.

How long should this fight take, I get I have to shoot it in the mouth but how many rounds am I going on this. The swarms keep killing me.

So, those of you who have played through this, how is it? Is it worth the $10 it's going for on Steam right now?
Definitely! I really enjoyed it, paid full price, no regrets. The story isn't as deep as TNO as others have said, but I loved returning to the world of TNO.

After beating TOB I've started another TNO play through, so good. Doubtful but it would be amazing if they announced a New Order follow-up at E3. One of my favorite games of the past few years!

Mr Swine

Banned
Bought this yesterday for €10 and it's worth it! But man the blurry graphics where so painful I had to deactivate all post processing yuck :/

nded

Well just need to beat the final boss...and I'm stuck.

How long should this fight take, I get I have to shoot it in the mouth but how many rounds am I going on this. The swarms keep killing me.

It just takes a while. Also the monster is blind, so it tracks you by sound. If you only use your knives or silenced pistol while the zombies are around causing a ruckus, the monster will target them instead.

SparkTR

It's around five hours long and extremely linear, though it does have some nice visuals and concepts that elevate it up a bit, it also gives more depth to the world that NWO created but not much. As a fan of older Wolfenstein games I enjoyed the main paranormal enemies in this a whole lot, but at the end of the day it's a short and linear shooter. $10 seems about right.

I liked it, but it's definitely worse than TNO. It adds a couple of new things, but none of the new things are as good as the old stuff from TNO. Still, for a tenner, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Turnstyle

We just published our latest 'bookclub for games podcast', where we chatted about the highs and lows of this game.

My own personal opinion was that it was more of the same, and you know what? That was fine with me. Any excuse to step back into BJ's shirtless body and blow some faceless goons away.

I had a few issues with the game though. Why did Machine Games insist on retaining the 'press button to pick up ammo' mechanic? I know it's the same engine as New Order, but surely they could have fixed this? It was one of my main complaints when we covered New Order, and I was really disappointed to see it return. I spent the whole game bashing the pick-up button repeatedly. I've probably got video game RSI.

Aside from that, and the last boss fight (no spoilers), I thought it was great fun, and the fact that it was just £15 made it an essential purchase in my eyes, especially if you liked the first game. Not everyone agreed with me, but then they are clueless fools.

For anyone interested in listening to four British blokes wibbling on about Nazis and robot dogs, here's the link for the video podcast. If you find our physical appearances repugnant, then just search for Quit or Continue in your podcast app of choice for the audio version.

https://youtu.be/AEeyyUA51iw?list=PLzLZziHTs0WQgw4MMbpcjDV3Sfb-g4lI1

This episode, we were visited by Inky the cat, making its podcast debut. We are a professional operation, I swear.

sector4

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I noticed this in the first area of the game and it really cracked me up! Haha nice little reference :p

Dt87YGk.jpg

Top Bottom