• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Revultion only be WiFi?

VerTiGo

Banned
Will gamers also have the option to plug in directly to their consoles? I've always been under the impression that a wireless connection isn't as strong as a normal wired online broadband setup. Actually, I'll be pretty annoyed if Nintendo doesn't give us this option.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The Wifi dongle that you can use on the DS your'll be able to use on the Revolution. I dont know if the Rev will have a Ethernet port but I doubt it.

Ironclad

If they distribute the Rev dongle more broadly, then they could allow that to replace the wired solution, but I couldn't imagine them just leaving it at that. Maybe an add on to the system.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
VerTiGo said:
Will gamers also have the option to plug in directly to their consoles? I've always been under the impression that a wireless connection isn't as strong as a normal wired online broadband setup. Actually, I'll be pretty annoyed if Nintendo doesn't give us this option.
Wifi is absolutely strong enough to handle broadband without a hich and then some. Won't notice ping differences either. Using wireless with both of my computer and laptop exclusively.

Juice

WordAssassin said:
Dongle docking?

Wouldn't "dongle docking" constitute a traditional (if hackneyed) wired connection?

"Upon purchasing the PC-USB-Proprietary Port-Ethernet adaptor along with the Revolution-USB-Proprietary Port-Ethernet adaptor, you can link your Revolution to the Internet, even if you don't have a wireless connection at home."

Oh the convenience!

Juice said:
Wouldn't "dongle docking" constitute a traditional (if hackneyed) wired connection?

"Upon purchasing the PC-USB-Proprietary Port-Ethernet adaptor along with the Revolution-USB-Proprietary Port-Ethernet adaptor, you can link your Revolution to the Internet, even if you don't have a wireless connection at home."

Oh the convenience!
You're overthinking. I was making a penis joke.

The system has USB ports, they've said they'll make a USB peripheral that will allow you to wire up normally IIRC. So basically its a CAT-5/USB adaptor, or an adaptor for connecting to USB modems (or maybe both).

Its also going to be compatible with the existing USB Wifi connector.

In my experience wifi has proved no less reliable for me than a fixed connection. I played XBL up until the point I broke my Xbox using a wireless bridge. I could play it in any room of the house without having to worry about wires, and the speed was still A-OK.

WindyMan

I think the Mario Kart numbers indicate that a lot of people have access to a wireless connection then we think. True, you can't take your Revolution to McDonalds and start playing, but it would guess that a lot of people set themselves up for wireless just for Mario Kart (myself included), and a lot more will get setup for Revolution (and PS3) when it comes out.

I was kind of skeptical about Wi-fi and how well it would work for online gaming, but I think the DS has made a believer out of me. If the Revolution is designed for wireless (and I don't need to buy a $100 adaptor, cough) then it should be just as smooth as any other internet connection.

If you think about it, why would we need any more than two wires sticking out of your system with all of this wireless technology?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why, though, would Nintendo not include an ethernet port? Motherboard space?

Its gonna have built in Wifi hardware, so I think they figure a good chunk of people will use that. That way theres some simbiont relationship between Revolution, DS and any other new hardware, in that all of them can interact with each other and the online network via the same standard. They maybe expect that blankets of wifi coverage will eventually be a standard too.

The system they've showed at prior events has just been a shell anyway. The final product may have an ethernet port on, it may not. Either way you'll be able to wire up if what they've said about the adaptor is true.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
radioheadrule83 said:
The system has USB ports, they've said they'll make a USB peripheral that will allow you to wire up normally IIRC. So basically its a CAT-5/USB adaptor, or an adaptor for connecting to USB modems (or maybe both).
Which is what I use right now between my modem and PC since I didn't have a network card when I first got cable 4 years ago. And it's not like they're expensive either, mine was free from my cable company (I get to keep it even if I cancel) and I've seen them in stores for less than $10 CAD.

koam

There will be a usb ethernet adapter. That's different from the wifi dongle. The USB ethernet will allow for wired connections. Of course, you could always use the usb dongle for the DS if you want to stick with wifi.

Top Bottom