• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"seems that the [new] PS5 is becoming like the Xbox... in a very bad way" Digital Foundry, or basically how the console are turning into services

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
if a game isnt worth the price you can do this crazy thing called not buy it

i do it pretty regularly

Yeah that’s cool but when I do wanna buy a game I would rather have the option of buying it from a bunch of different vendors for cheap.

For instance. If I wanna buy Days Gone right now.

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah that’s cool but when I do wanna buy a game I would rather have the option of buying it from a bunch of different vendors for cheap.

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

looks like you have a solution to your problem

DaGwaphics

If I can buy digital keys like I do for pc I'll go all digital. Picked robo cop up for 25 quid on steam. But, I'm not paying 70 squid for a digital single player with no multi that I can complete in a weekend.

So far Xbox hasn't nurfed digital sales via third-party retailers. It seems like there is a separate economy there also, as Amazon and Newegg often have sale prices lower than whatever the current price is on the Xbox store. This and the support for freesync are the main reasons why I have continued to use Xbox over just going PC.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

Yup.

That's the 'ol strategy banks use. People set up accounts and it's too much of a hassle to change banks. So a lot of people just take their lumps getting ripped off doing bad mortgages through their bank because it's the easiest and fastest way.

Banks know their millions of customers arent going to shop around like hopping store to store buying groceries so they can jack up prices. The best bank rates to get is to shop around and also get a mortgage broker to shop around all the no-name banks that can get you an even better rate.

Out of all the mortgages I have had for my personal property and investment properties they have never been with my own bank I use for chequing and pay stubs. The rates are shit. As stupid as it seems my mortgage broker can get me a better rate at my own bank than me walking in doing it myself. Makes no sense, as the bank doesn't even have to pay me a fee. If anything my broker's proposal should be worse than me walking in.

Thats the exact same way digital eco-systems are. Spend some effort and you'll find a better price outside the eco-system.

DaGwaphics

Oh... that seems like such a waste. If one needs to buy digital, just do it from the online store so you don't have to input those codes manually.

I can see it for gift giving though, a lot more personal than a basic funds card. Plus, like I said, the retailers seem to be able to discount these independently of the Xbox store, which is a nice bonus.

squarealex

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

On PS+ Extra or 16$ at each sales

Grey Market is not representative and don't count... I can buy if I want a key for GOW:R on PS5 at 25$

this again ? ins't the online a one time thing just to validate the hardware ?

imagine been mad after the instalation of a new GPU and u need to be online in order to update the drivers.

"Hey i just got a new RTX4090 but is running like shit"
" U need to go online to update the drivers"
Godofwar GIF by PlayStation

Pretty much. It's also a security measure; the connecting port is USB-C, so technically it can read any kind of data if a 3P drive (or the official drive) were tampered with to inject the system with illegal code during runtime (or at boot).

Should be obvious the online requirement for validation is to not let that type of compromise occur. You'd think a tech analysis channel would be aware of this but, they're PC gamers. They haven't accessed their dicks discs in over a decade.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

22 usd for physical ps4 new as I check here.
edit: Physical games are cheaper on ps5 and you sometimes get bunch of goodies, postcards, map and all that crap... or cheaper price than psn.... at launch.
So I buy new ghame which are 5-10$ cheaper than on psn, I get the game usually a day early before release and I have a bunch of goodies with it or steelbook

Last edited:
I can see it for gift giving though, a lot more personal than a basic funds card. Plus, like I said, the retailers seem to be able to discount these independently of the Xbox store, which is a nice bonus.
Didn't know they could do that. Might be the only comp those e stores have for customers getting digital discounts in the future.

StereoVsn

What are the legal reasons?
There are no legal reasons. They are referring to the BluRay decryption cert checks, but that could be a separate download for the player or console OS for media playback.

Hardware doesn’t need the stupid DRM planned obsolescence check built in.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What are the legal reasons?

There are no legal reasons. They are referring to the BluRay decryption cert checks, but that could be a separate download for the player or console OS for media playback.

This is from 10 years ago.

"It is unfortunate that the discs are not being read. Request you to try the following steps which may help:

(1) Update the software you use to play Blu-ray movies:
A movie that was released after a movie player released may not play on older versions of Blu-ray hardware and software. This can happen due to copy protection. Blu-ray technology requires an Internet connection for software players. The software player must be updated over the Internet to acquire new encryption codes to help protect the movie industry from piracy. Also, new interactive features may not be recognized by the original software programs and drivers. Some Blu-ray movies feature an enhancement to the Blu-ray specification called BD Profile 1.1. This may prevent a movie from being played, or it may prevent access to the movie menus while using the Quick Play or Media Smart programs."

Not sure how much this applies to the PS5 tho or if its even relevant today.

I'm just amazed that when I look up whats needed for installing a blu ray drive in a PC or any issues with blu ray players on PC...I didnt think DF would have any concerns. Or would be cautiously optimistic since no info is really out there.

Yet here we are.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I don’t see why we, the consumers should care and get worse treatment because of something that doesn’t affect us

DaGwaphics

Didn't know they could do that. Might be the only comp those e stores have for customers getting digital discounts in the future.

Yeah, price differences can be quite large. One example from the Newegg sales page: ME LE

Xbox store $60

Newegg $11

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm just amazed that when I look up whats needed for installing a blu ray drive in a PC or any issues with blu ray players on PC...I didnt think DF would have any concerns. Or would be cautiously optimistic since no info is really out there.
There's no info out there because no one installs a Blu-Ray drive in their PC.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is from 10 years ago.

"It is unfortunate that the discs are not being read. Request you to try the following steps which may help:

(1) Update the software you use to play Blu-ray movies:
A movie that was released after a movie player released may not play on older versions of Blu-ray hardware and software. This can happen due to copy protection. Blu-ray technology requires an Internet connection for software players. The software player must be updated over the Internet to acquire new encryption codes to help protect the movie industry from piracy. Also, new interactive features may not be recognized by the original software programs and drivers. Some Blu-ray movies feature an enhancement to the Blu-ray specification called BD Profile 1.1. This may prevent a movie from being played, or it may prevent access to the movie menus while using the Quick Play or Media Smart programs."

Not sure how much this applies to the PS6 tho or if its even relevant today.

Yet here we are.
That isn't a legal thing, though. That is a compatibility thing.

A couple of people have said in this thread that it's for legal reasons. I can't think of any legal reason why connecting a drive to a PlayStation would require an online check-in. All I can think is that it's to try to ensure that a modified or unlicensed drive hasn't connected. If it's a playback licensing thing then they could have done what they did in the past and require you to specifically activate movie playback.

With Sony bringing out the new PS5 with a feature that you can buy it without a drive and upgrade later if you want. I think that's going to be the future for PlayStation 6 and the next Xbox. I actually think Microsoft is doing this with their new Xbox series X next year. It doesn't have a disk drive because they won't have them built in, but you can buy an extender disk drive that will work on both the series X and the series S and it will be forwards compatible with the next Xbox after.

Thirty7ven

Banned

$40 on PSN

$12.00 on PC

That game has been 16$ so many times. Would love to know how those cheap ass cdkeys work though. Honestly you used to be able to buy keys from Amazon for example and I don’t remember pricing being any better.

Cdkeys and steam always seemed like shenanigans we don’t understand. And I buy from them.

Last edited:
Precisely. PC has the benefit of multiple storefronts. While Steam remains the predominant one, the existence of ones like GoG, Humble, and even Windows Store allows for pricing competition and a wealth of sales.

Digital only on console is a SINGLE storefront that won’t have any competition outside of gray market key resellers.

I’d have no problem with console digital future if it were more like PC and not these monopoly storefronts where you have no competition outside of buying the other platform and their monopoly storefront.
If the FTC and CMA are really looking out for consumers best interests as they say, this is what they should be addressing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
With Sony bringing out the new PS5 with a feature that you can buy it without a drive and upgrade later if you want. I think that's going to be the future for PlayStation 6 and the next Xbox. I actually think Microsoft is doing this with their new Xbox series X next year. It doesn't have a disk drive because they won't have them built in, but you can buy an extender disk drive that will work on both the series X and the series S and it will be forwards compatible with the next Xbox after.
It starts to make sense as everything continues to move toward digital and the majority of people abandon physical media. It's a good way to ensure that existing disc-based games remain playable without pushing the cost of the drive onto people who won't need it.

King Dazzar

Still used in some media centre PC's. The only constraint is finding decent software to play the discs back with. The actual drives themselves are fine with no need for updates. My drive is so old I cant recall when I bought it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah, price differences can be quite large. One example from the Newegg sales page: ME LE

Xbox store $60

Newegg $11

Starfield is 40€

Man I hope Sony loses that lawsuit.

Fabieter

Oh god I hope its not what it sounds like but if it is pc/switch is the only way forward until nintendo is doing the same.

Puscifer

If the connection is needed only for the setup, I don't see it as a big problem. Some shops will even do that Blu ray drive link for you.
But if is a always online thing...
For me it's more about the idea it needs it to begin with, there's part of me that's okay with it on PC because of it's open nature that I can always circumvent if I choose too. Consoles? You better hope DDAY never comes, Nintendo has shown their hand in how much they don't care and it's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft follow their lead

Deerock71

Dont you worry, it's coming to nintendo too.
Nintendo hasn't done this because they are currently incapable of doing this. Their infrastructure is so far behind ms and sony. They are prob the biggest pains in the asses with trying to protect their stuff.
Maybe so...but not today.
Look At You Tom Cruise GIF by Top Gun

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don’t see why we, the consumers should care and get worse treatment because of something that doesn’t affect us
For all we know, it could be just a way to get the consoles out as fast as possible. Instead of doing a step that's done during manufacturing, the consumer now does it.

Key phrase is.....for all we know.....
This is a good point I actually didnt think about....I was the odd one who got a DVD drive for my build in 2020. My next build wont have a drive. There's more cons to having one vs pros.

Still, there are options to building/upgrading a PC with a blu ray drive.
That isn't a legal thing, though. That is a compatibility thing.

A couple of people have said in this thread that it's for legal reasons. I can't think of any legal reason why connecting a drive to a PlayStation would require an online check-in. All I can think is that it's to try to ensure that a modified or unlicensed drive hasn't connected. If it's a playback licensing thing then they could have done what they did in the past and require you to specifically activate movie playback.

Yeah, also a good point. See my first reply above...for all we know...

I would just expect tech centric sites that actually deal with PC's would be cautiously optimistic, thats all.

then how do people rip their bluray collection, magic???
Also a good point, lol.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If it's actually 'pairing' like described, then no - it would be one-off.
My guess is that it's to compare a hash of the drive's components and/or a serial number of some sort to a central database to make sure the drive is authentic and unmodified. The pairing probably downloads a key to the console that matches the drive during the activation so the check doesn't have to happen again. Makes me wonder whether third parties will be able to create aftermarket drives or if only Sony drives will be allowed. I guess time will tell.

ReBurn

Gold Member
then how do people rip their bluray collection, magic???
I connect an external USB blu ray drive to a surface book and use MakeMKV to rip to an MKV file, then I convert the MKV to MP4 using handbrake. But I guess you weren't asking for a tutorial.

Last edited:
The inevitable shift to a new physical medium is sorely needed. It’s pretty clear what it should be as anything else would be too expensive. A small USBC micro drive with only enough storage for the encrypted digital licence key… probably only 4MB or something. That way we at least own something physical that can be traded/sold etc. It’s literally the only viable option. Physical game prices would likely be increased again as a result but it’s worth it to avoid an all digital future.

bigdad2007

I would love for Sony/Nintendo to go the way if Microsoft. There are backwards compatible games I bought 14-15 years ago on the 360 that I can still play on my series x today.

Meanwhile my Wii, Wiiu, 3DS digital purchases are vapor now. Sony went cloud based for some BC and that IMO is an inferior solution.

Maybe DF should've tested with an install to a spare system of their own to see if this is actually related to security measures all BD players have to implement in some form.

Before putting out a video.

You know, since they're such a tech-focused analysis channel. That way they wouldn't just have to theorize if it's some anti-consumer planned obsolescence feature by Sony, but an actual part of the requirement for a Blu-Ray drive attachment to ensure anti-piracy and security.

Just a thought 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom