• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox goes third party, how this is affecting you?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Serious question

I don't take sides since ever. I play the games and I don't really care for the brand or the machine, I just want to play the game unless gives this has some sort of benefit to the game that other machines can't do it

I recent times only the Switch gave different ways to play, mixing motion, a hybrid console and whatever. It's nice and all, but for the most part I want to play games that could easily run on other things, like Mario Kart 8 with my friends, and that's not the biggest thing to ask to another machine have running. I want to play Halo with my friends, and guess what? Same thing. Spiderman 2 has to be on PS5?! Pff...

I bought the Series X day one mostly for the GamePass. If the other consoles had GamePass I would buy the Series X at launch? Maybe. The PS5 would run better the games? How bad would run on the Switch? How big will be the difference in cost?

I can see Xbox changing it's plan to have their machine still existing, and other machines running their games too. It's fine. It's about the money that they can win with this, and doesn't really change how the consumer of their games act. I also can see Sony doing the same thing in a not so distant future too - I mean, they already started launching games on PC, and they're seeing how good for the business is. Nintendo... yeah, their ego is above the charts and they're the richest of the bunch, so that's hard to see

intbal

Don't know if it will affect me or not.
I only care about BC. Need more of it. If this shift takes time and resources away from reimplementing the BC program, then it's a big negative.
If they were never going to add more BC games, anyway, then it's irrelevant.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

It doesn't. I game about 98% on PC. If this somehow impacts Sony porting their games to PC, then there's that, but GoW: Rag is the only game they have this gen worth playing. Xbox games are day 1 on PC, so changes nothing there.

Nydius

I’ve been fortunate enough to be a multiplatform gamer since the days of the NES and Sega Master System and this generation is no different. So Xbox potentially going full third party wouldn’t have much effect on me.

Since console digital libraries really exploded last generation when I was predominantly on PS4, even if Xbox were to get out of hardware all together it wouldn’t affect me too much as the vast majority of my digital library is on PS Platforms while my Xbox library is almost all physical plus Game Pass.

Edit: But I was already strongly considering this being my last console generation and moving back to PC since everything ends up there eventually anyway. With the addition of the new PC handhelds, it’s most likely that I’ll be a PC+Nintendo player after this generation runs its course.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It doesn't I play on PC PS5 and Switch but i like
Drama GIF

Last edited:

RedC

My primary console is Xbox and has been since Xbox 360.

I'm happy with the digital library and dev mode to play emulators on my Series X.

It would likely be the last Xbox console I have, I will keep my Series X for third-party games, and Playstation will be my primary console going forward where I will start building my digital library with exclusives.

Last edited:

tusharngf

I got good PC its not affecting me at all. I am happy that both platforms games are coming to PC and nintendo games can be emulated easily.

SNG32

Not one fuckin bit. Only thing is it’s sad to see them not compete with Sony but other than that I’ve been a PC gamer the last few years so business as usual.

reinking

Gold Member
I was already planning to skip the next Xbox because I have mostly been playing those games on PC (Day one). At least I get to enjoy the memes and meltdowns. So, that much?

MarkMe2525

It then here and now, it wouldn't effect any current Xbox owner. It would just mean we may be buying a different branded box in the future.

The idea that there would be a sudden and negative impact on Xbox users is overstated and amounts to nothing more than hyperbole.

Last edited:
It won't really, I never bought a Series as I was already playing MS games on PC when I was interested in them. If they publish physical versions for Ps5 or Switch I might even buy more.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
With their current portfolio, I might check one or two exclusive titles from them, but that's it.

Overall I have no interest in their exclusives. They need to step up in the future to be honest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As long as I keep my purchases and they dont close their store, it doesnt affect me in the slightest. Ill keep my gamepass, if it survives and I'll keep enjoying the games they bring to that.

Hopefully their games perform well on other platforms and I get to play games with more people, they survive for longer if they are online and they get more money to invest into future games.

I don't see how it can be bad news for anyone.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I’m on PC & Switch already, so not at all for me.

Honestly though, I know a lot of the manchildren console warriors here are celebrating this in a weird “LOL XBOX SUX” way or whatever, but in reality I think this is a win for everyone as now everyone gets to play all of these former Xbox exclusives.

Last edited:
As someone that played on Playstation...it doesn't. Never cared for their games...or Activision...or Bethesda.

Talk to me once Forza Horizon hits PS5. That's their ONE IP i'm interested.

saintjules

Doesn't affect me. I too got it on launch day after being convinced by Phil's presentation at the TGAs 2019.

If anything I go back to the" sit back and watch" approach for whatever hardware they release in the future as I most likely won't do day 1 again.

Mowcno

It means I may choose to play some of their games on PlayStation instead of my PC. But I don't play many of their exclusive titles anyway. I've been subbed to gamepass solidly 5.5 years now, but the only games from them I've played in the last 3-4 years are Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport and 6 hours of Starfield.

My sub expires in the Summer and I will decide where to play their titles the next time one releases that interests me, most likely FH6.

Quasicat

I will use the current plastic box that sits under my TV until it dies and then I will buy the next plastic box that has stuff I want to play. Now that I’ve been playing on the Steam Deck more and more, I’ll keep playing on that little plastic box.

dem

TBH... I'm not real interested in buying games. I think they are mostly all trash.
You can't pay me to play a cinematic walking simulator.

Gamepass or bust.

Or I'll just play Fortnite/COD forever

Last edited:
The last time I turned on my XSX was probably 6 months ago if not even longer so not at all.

Not turned any console on tbf since getting bored of SM2 (so probably November).

Not sure what I'd do if the PC market ever collapses though as ultrawide and high frame rate gaming is amazing.

Having fun with VR and handheld gaming too though they are different markets entirely - I guess they compete with your time the same way flat screen gaming does but so does every other hobby.

Roxkis_ii

Ever since I got a gaming laptop, an xbox has never been a consideration. So nothing changes for me. We'll, I am going to miss Xbox threads

ungalo

I can see Xbox changing it's plan to have their machine still existing, and other machines running their games too. It's fine. It's about the money that they can win with this, and doesn't really change how the consumer of their games act. I also can see Sony doing the same thing in a not so distant future too - I mean, they already started launching games on PC, and they're seeing how good for the business is. Nintendo... yeah, their ego is above the charts and they're the richest of the bunch, so that's hard to see
Why do people have a hard time understanding the purpose of exclusive content for a platform ? What does that have to do with ego ?

It feels disingenuous. If i play on Xbox because i wanted to play Bethesda, Obsidian, inXile games, and then they release on PS5, obvioulsy i don't lose anything. That said, if i knew perhaps i would've bought a PS5, because i wanted to play other games too.

And that "exclusives" are a thing, i don't have to say that it's good or bad, as long as there is a competition there will be exclusive content whether i like it or not, pretending it's going away soon is absurd. Microsoft are doing it because they're giving up on trying to increase the player base on their platform to distribute third party games, in the console field at least.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just shrug my shoulders and move on.
I bailed on the Xbone generation after that God awful reveal but came back as the Series X is a solid piece of hardware. Will keep using the X basically until I'm done with it.

Will just end up playing their stuff on PC or PlayStation or whatever comes next.

Xyphie

I don't own either a PS5 or XSS/XSX so not much. If MS drops hardware completely I can see Sony scaling back loss leading titles in their first-party portfolio so I guess I'll play fewer PC ports of those.

Jakk

I always had Playstation and still I would be disapppinted. I really hoped Xbox could turn it around. Healthy competition is good.

CeeJay

It changes the dynamic of the market significantly.

OEM start making Xbox consoles and ask Microsoft not to unfairly undercut them by subsidising prices, Microsoft will have to agree to attract OEM to make Xbox consoles. That has one of two likely outcomes.

1. Xboxes become really overpriced compared to Sony, they don't sell and eventually cease production, MS drops the OEM plan and decides to just develop for PC and Playstation. Sony becomes the only hardware manufacturer and gets to charge whatever they can get away with without a competitor to challenge them.

2. Xboxes become expensive due to the subsidy dropping and Sony follows suit and prices the Playstation in the same ball park as Xbox. Both co-exist in the market.

Whichever way you dice it, I really don't see anything other that considerably more expensive console hardware in the future. Games will stay the same price.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seemingly MS's tactics is being built around a time where consoles don't exist which got me thinking..... what constitutes first and third party going forward into the future?
Games are going to be on PCs, TVs, TV boxes( like apple tv and chrome cast) and Mobile devices that is a given. When that happens every publisher will splinter off on their own apps of course.

So the question is ... does a game being on a pc or mobile store automatically make it third party if its only on the publishers apps?

let's say Capcom put out their own store app on PC, Tvs, and Mobile devices and only sell their games through their app. Is that first or third party in your mind? and how does that affect the platform holders going forward? How does it affect fanboys?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I can decide if I'm playing on GPU for free or on PS5 for £60+ a throw.

That's how it affects me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Honestly makes zero difference to me. I already own a good PC and I play all MS’s games there.

Both PlayStation and Xbox are basically just budget PCs in a box now. I don’t see why we need to have two different console ecosystems when they are both so similar to each other

Top Bottom