• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Revolution get Nintendo to stop publishing mediocre/bad console games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Just curious.

-Pokemon XD
-Kirby Air Ride
-Starfox Assault
-1080 Avalanche
-Custom Robo
-Batallion Wars
-Mario Baseball
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Pokemon Channel
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 6
-Mario Party 7
-Wario World
-Geist
-Donkey Konga 2

That's just one generation, and doesn't include a highly rated game which belongs there, and that's Mario Kart Double Dash.

Anyway, with these new gameplay styles, will Nintendo start publishing mostly console games that score in the high 8's and 9's again? Seeing the DS do so well this year gives me a bit of hope, but with so few developers and so much franchise farming, I don't know.

Cronox

Banned
Does someone really have to make another list of good games they've put out? Cause anyone who isn't massively biased (the above?) will tell you they're still one of the best developers in the world.

Speevy

Banned
Cronox said:
Does someone really have to make another list of good games they've put out? Cause anyone who isn't massively biased (the above?) will tell you they're still one of the best developers in the world.

I like Nintendo. I just don't think any of those games were even necessary. Just misfires and poor sellers. So Nintendo should shape up next generation. Well, except for Mario Party, which seems to punish gamers and sell well without remorse.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Cronox said:

but very inconsistent and occasionally horrid publisher. Some credit must be given for publishing original stuff such as Chokkan Hitofude, Elektroplankton and Another Code. The Cube stuff is shit, however.

AniHawk

It's probably going to continue as long as it makes 'em money.

And that's the best answer you're going to get.

Mrbob

I hope so. Horrid output on Gamecube is one of the reasons I didn't like the console. I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Gamecube disappointed more than any other Nintendo system before. GBA has great Nintendo output. DS is getting there. N64 had great games (Even if they took awhile). GC, however, is Nintendos lowest point in their history as far as quality of software output goes. I'm worried Revolution will suffer too if Nintendo focuses too much on handhelds.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Speevy said:
Just curious.

-Pokemon XD
-Kirby Air Ride
-Starfox Assault
-1080 Avalanche
-Custom Robo
-Batallion Wars
-Mario Baseball
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Pokemon Channel
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 6
-Mario Party 7
-Wario World
-Geist
-Donkey Konga 2
None of those were made by Nintendo.

Liquid

Banned
Cronox said:

a generation has passed without a GREAT mario game.

Emotions

I own and like all of those games listed above except for pokemon channel, it's just a matter of opinion to like them or not, i don't go by scores. But what's the point of this thread another one just to show how much you dislike nintendo? there's plenty out there.

probably not; they're going to keep outsourcing their frachises to other developers because theirs (aunoma, miyamoto, et al) are just too damn busy nowadays

AniHawk

Emotions said:
I own and like all of those games listed above except for pokemon channel, it's just a matter of opinion to like them or not, i don't go by scores. But what's the point of this thread another one just to show how much you dislike nintendo? there's plenty out there.

I think Speevy is legitimately concerned.

AniHawk

OG_Original Gamer said:
Please remove Battalion Wars. Speevy you have changed, To much TXB.

Yes, to much TXB!

wine-glasses-clink.jpg

Speevy

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:

I have not changed. But if I have, I hope it's for the better. At the beginning of this generation, I was very elitist with regard to my Nintendo preference, and I posted in absolutes about the company.

AniHawk

Speevy said:
I have not changed. But if I have, I hope it's for the better. At the beginning of this generation, I was very elitist with regard to my Nintendo preference, and I posted in absolutes about the company.

No, you've stayed the same, only system allegiances have shifted. I think you yourself have admitted as much.

WindyMan

Since Nintendo has been losing third party support on the GameCube, they need to resort on filling the massive release date gaps with average games under the Nintendo publishing brand.

I strongly feel that Nintendo is going to start publishing a lot more games because of third party publishers that may not want to put a game out on the Revolution. Nintendo may wind up publishing it themselves.

Emotions

Speevy said:
I like good Nintendo games, which is what this thread is about.

Good or bad is subjective, i personally like all of those games , they might not be perfect but i don't expect nintendo to release AA games all the time, they're still enjoyable , bad games for me are games that have broken controls or they're totally unplayable. All those games above have very good controls , they might not be perfectly polished but they definately have a good amount of polish and easy controls.

Emotions

Speevy said:
They could try. Sony has certainly improved, as has MS.

Of course they could, but let's not act as if they were bad,unplayable or the worst trash ever released, they have pretty intuitive controls, like i said it's all about personal preference.

Mihail

Banned
I agree absolutely. You know that line that Drinky & Co. use to make fun of "Nintendards" (it's a clever combination of words)? "I don't need too many games anyway," or something like that.

Well, that's me, but for real. I don't buy a lot, but I play a lot. I stick with one game for a long time sucking the last drop of gameplay goodness from it. I could've lasted the whole generation with just F-Zero GX, Ikaruga, and Super Monkey Ball.

But this generation Nintendo whored out their proverbial "seal of quality" to mediocre crap. I'd rather they keep their integrity. Besides, it's not like all that mediocre volume helped them much in sales...

I really hope that it was an isolated case because they didn't have any innovations with the GameCube and they were just trying (miserably) to play keep-up with the flash-and-bang style of their competitors.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if the ds is any indication, the revolution will be a pretext to throw all sorts of rubbish out there to see if it sticks. i don't suppose anyone paid much attention to wario ware's plot, but it looks increasingly like an accurate depiction of nintendo's creative strategy.

Rorschach

What a stupid fucking thread. I shouldn't have expected any less from speevy.

monkeyrun said:
what will stop speevy from creating pointless threads ?
Well, temp banning didn't work. Howabout a permaban?

Speevy said:
Just curious.

-Pokemon XD
-Kirby Air Ride
-Starfox Assault
-1080 Avalanche
-Custom Robo
-Batallion Wars
-Mario Baseball
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Pokemon Channel
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 6
-Mario Party 7
-Wario World
-Geist
-Donkey Konga 2

The ones I bolded are great games in my opinion. They afforded me more gameplay hours than any one of my PS2 or Xbox games. Especially Star Fox, which was one of the best multiplayer experiences I had on the system. Is this what you meant by the thread?

Jiggy

Speevy said:
Just curious.

-Pokemon XD
-Kirby Air Ride
-Starfox Assault
-1080 Avalanche
-Custom Robo
-Batallion Wars
-Mario Baseball
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Pokemon Channel
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 6
-Mario Party 7
-Wario World
-Geist
-Donkey Konga 2
Pokemon XD was good, and unless your definition of "mediocre" is "slightly above average," I don't see how the others fit on your list either.

Still... those disagreements notwithstanding, I do agree the publishing of lame games is a real problem. :( And I'm not at all convinced that the different philosophy behind the Revolution will change that. Remember, they've stated repeatedly that they want to appeal both to new audiences and old, so to me that's almost a guarantee that they're going to continue along every possible path in their attempts (misguided in some cases, not in others) to reach everyone...

I actually .... agree.

Their 1st/2nd part/3rd party collaborations have to get better.

On the N64, they were almost always incredible, on GameCube it was a lot more mixed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Emotions said:

You BOUGHT all that shit? That's a lot of money for very little return.

Emotions

Stinkles said:
You BOUGHT all that shit? That's a lot of money for very little return.

"shit" to you perhaps but definately not "shit" to me and it also gave me a lot of return, i don't regret in buying any of them,i've spent countless of hours on them , single player and multiplayer and they were well spent. It's also good that we all have different tastes and there are actually some people in this thread that have enjoyed them too, i've seen people making topics and discussing games i can barely stand, but that's fine cause i respect all opinions, so a bad game for me could be perfect for others.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mrbob said:
I hope so. Horrid output on Gamecube is one of the reasons I didn't like the console. I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Gamecube disappointed more than any other Nintendo system before. GBA has great Nintendo output. DS is getting there. N64 had great games (Even if they took awhile). GC, however, is Nintendos lowest point in their history as far as quality of software output goes. I'm worried Revolution will suffer too if Nintendo focuses too much on handhelds.

I agree absolutely. You know that line that Drinky & Co. use to make fun of "Nintendards" (it's a clever combination of words)? "I don't need too many games anyway," or something like that.

Well, that's me, but for real. I don't buy a lot, but I play a lot. I stick with one game for a long time sucking the last drop of gameplay goodness from it. I could've lasted the whole generation with just F-Zero GX, Ikaruga, and Super Monkey Ball.

But this generation Nintendo whored out their proverbial "seal of quality" to mediocre crap. I'd rather they keep their integrity. Besides, it's not like all that mediocre volume helped them much in sales...

I really hope that it was an isolated case because they didn't have any innovations with the GameCube and they were just trying (miserably) to play keep-up with the flash-and-bang style of their competitors.

Wow, you guys said what I was about to say. THANKS!

Nintendo really needs to quit experimenting with their biggest franchises, and put in a little more effort on quality control.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
OG_Original Gamer said:
i was just thinking the same thing. i haven't actually played the game myself, but I've heard mostly positive things about it so was suprised to see it listed there.

Merlin

Banned
I do think Nintendo's got their passion for game making back recently. It's clear they were often going through the motions with GameCube, just compare Mario Kart DD to Mario Kart DS.

Nintendo's often spoke of how users were bored of playing the game games with better graphics and I have no doubt Nintendo was bored of making them too. It showed at times.

Kirby Air Ride is a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom