• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Game will run on PC with an HDD and min specs of 8gb ram, plus a GTX 960 which is 2gb. So 10gb total ram.
And it probably doesn’t look anywhere near as good as it does on my PS5, and that’s fine, because it’s an option. So is playing the PS5 version, or playing PC with better specs. Options are good. The people making shit up like how you need some hypothetical monster rig to play a PS5 caliber title on PC because TLOU Part 1 or other ports ran like shit at launch are dumb.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And it probably doesn’t look anywhere near as good as it does on my PS5, and that’s fine, because it’s an option. So is playing the PS5 version, or playing PC with better specs. Options are good. The people making shit up like how you need some hypothetical monster rig to play a PS5 caliber title on PC because TLOU Part 1 or other ports ran like shit at launch are dumb.
And that’s the great thing about PC. Most games have a low min spec option so lots of people can play. And then if you got the gear, you got medium, high and ultra settings.

Topher

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see if the game runs exactly the same as it does on PS5 or not. If it does....

Matthew Broderick GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think it’s more a response to the people saying “you need a $3,000 PC with at least 16GB of VRAM to match based PS5 secret sauce programmed to the metal!” but that’s just me 💅

Looking at the specs. You indeed need a way more expensive pc to even match the PS5 performance at all.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Looking at the specs. You indeed need a way more expensive pc to even match the PS5 performance at all.
Probably more expensive than a PS5, doubtfully anywhere close to the hyperbolic specs some warriors have been throwing out there.

And I’m not buying this on PC anyway, I have it on PS5 already and its 40hz mode is pretty good. But I’m not deluding myself into thinking my PC couldn’t handle it too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably more expensive than a PS5, doubtfully anywhere close to the hyperbolic specs some warriors have been throwing out there.

And I’m not buying this on PC anyway, I have it on PS5 already and its 40hz mode is pretty good. But I’m not deluding myself into thinking my PC couldn’t handle it too.
Exactly.

The context of the game being promoted years back was it was a game only doable on a PS5 SSD. And considering Cerny put so much effort into PS5’s SSD tech it all blended together that it is the PS5 required. And then Sony saying certain SSDs only work on PS5 as compatible.

Not any SSD would work. PS5 SSD is the one.

And in tech, typically you need a beefier PC to play console games at the same settings since PC has overhead and windows etc to do. So the fact R&C can run on a weak PC with a HDD goes totally against the image they were trying to promote that R&C can only be done on PS5 and it’s SSD.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well sort of. I mean parts are expensive but the recommended is pretty low by pc gamer standards now days. you cant even get a BestBuy PC with 2060 in it now. you could probably build one yourself pretty close to recommended specs for around the cost of a ps5.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Exactly.

The context of the game being promoted years back was it was a game only doable on a PS5 SSD. And considering Cerny put so much effort into PS5’s SSD tech it all blended together that it is the PS5 required. And then Sony saying certain SSDs only work on PS5 as compatible.

Not any SSD would work. PS5 SSD is the one.

And in tech, typically you need a beefier PC to play console games at the same settings since PC has overhead and windows etc to do. So the fact R&C can run on a weak PC with a HDD goes totally against the image they were trying to promote that R&C can only be done on PS5 and it’s SSD.

This is false.

People are reading the headline and not the article.

"Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a game that utilises dimensions and dimensional rifts, and that would not have been possible without the solid state drive of the PlayStation 5," explains Smith. "The SSD is screamingly fast, it allows us to build worlds and project players from one place to another at near-instantaneous speeds."

"It is an unbelievable gamechanger... we can now do gameplay where you're in one world and the next moment you're in another, and we're loading up levels that happen so quickly and in the action that you don't even imagine that this is something we couldn't do before because it feels so natural. Long gone are loading screens. Now it's all about bringing exciting new adventures."

This is the headline.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart's Dimensional Rifts Only Possible With PS5's SSD

He didn't say "only possible with PS5's SSD"

He said this would not have been possible without the Solid State Drive of the PlayStation 5" and that's completely different.

Everything he's talking about is about instantaneous speeds, which haven't been done before in previous generations.

Murdok

they said ps games would never come out for pc.... Surely this one will run on common HDD. I'm sorry to anyone who was misled by the marketing

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PCMASTER RACE..They can't stand when console have tech is better then their shitty pc or not available YET on PC. I don't know but some here are searching for a win lol

What are they gonna do, install this HDD in their PC now and play the whole damn game at the lowest settings, just so they have a argument? Lol good luck playing this at the lowest settings with HDD.

You haven't even seen it running you fool.

PC enthusiast are Tone deaf. In their tiny minds, they never heard the word PS4 and in their mind, it was always a PS5 vs PC comparison for Insomniac.

As a PC gamer and PS gamer, im getting pretty tired about this group.

Most of them are Xbox or semi-xbox fans = Windows. They hate all tech on console, but it's good when PC.

Why are they cheering for RTX IO or DirectStorage, but hating on PS5's I/O subsystem?

Strange isn't it?

We're talking about you and those other...

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

You are here just for trolling…just stfu dude.

Feel Better Cheer Up GIF

Loxus

This is false.

People are reading the headline and not the article.

This is the headline.

He didn't say "only possible with PS5's SSD"

He said this would not have been possible without the Solid State Drive of the PlayStation 5" and that's completely different.

Everything he's talking about is about instantaneous speeds, which haven't been done before in previous generations.
It's the decompression of PS5's SSD that's responsible for the high loading speeds, not really the speed of the SSD itself.

On PC with the fastest SSD, you can still get poor loading.

If on PC DirectX Storage and GPU decompression is used, all this fuss about a HDD is kind of stupid. Especially seeing the use of a HDD in the MINIMUM, which still states a SSD is recommended.

Md Ray

Name them?

Cuz this thread has purely about whether the min-spec would be an SSD or an HDD.
With DirectStorage and GPU decomp that 5400RPM isnt doing the heavy lifting, your GPU is.
It's still going to hit the limits of a 5400RPM drive and have much longer load times.

The HDD here is 7200RPM (4.32 secs)
reFKk04.png

vs

NVMe Gen3 (0.83 secs)
pExAnuk.png

Just because it has DirectStorage and GPU decomp doesn't mean it's going to have PS5-like load times on a 5400 RPM drive at PS5-level fidelity.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's still going to hit the limits of a 5400RPM drive and have much longer load times.

The HDD here is 7200RPM (4.32 secs)
reFKk04.png

vs

NVMe Gen3 (0.83 secs)
pExAnuk.png

Just because it has DirectStorage and GPU decomp doesn't mean it's going to have PS5-like load times on a 5400 RPM drive at PS5-level fidelity.

I agree with this post whole heartedly.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Genuinely curious as to what it will look like on a GTX960.

It’s kind of fun seeing games running at the absolute lowest settings.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

It shows you are one of them and do not understand shit of it. You and some of those clowns didn't pay attention back then only shitting on the SSD part.

How many times have people said and Insomniac that this comparison was between PS5/PS4 and not directly related to PC. Sure PC didn't had anything back then like DS or RTX IO (which is still not released or somethng).

You can run it at shit performance from some HDD and then what?....what is your win?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You should really take a walk or something, it’s not that serious. Yeesh

These are the same people that were coming out of their grave today who were in every PS5 thread shitting on everything SSD related...and here they are again.

sendit

What exactly are you so angry about? The game doesn’t require an SSD to run as many people predicted it wouldn’t.

Imagine a game like RDR2 being released on the PS2.

"I win. Prediction realized. With enough downgrades we can a PS4 game on the PS2."

sendit

Read the poll option and the OP. There’s a criteria and everything.
Read my post. It applies the criteria from the options. With that said, I'm curious on how this game will look and perform at the lowest recommended settings provided by the developers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It shows you are one of them and do not understand shit of it. You and some of those clowns didn't pay attention back then only shitting on the SSD part.

How many times have people said and Insomniac that this comparison was between PS5/PS4 and not directly related to PC. Sure PC didn't had anything back then like DS or RTX IO (which is still not released or somethng).

You can run it at shit performance from some HDD and then what?....what is your win?

Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

mrcroket

I dunno, Steam Deck surprises me with its verified games. Sony seems to be great with making them Deck verified as well.
Hopefully, it would be cool to play it on portable, it was the first thing I checked when I saw that they had shown the requirements, let's hope they are overstated.

Top Bottom