• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spyxos

Gold Member
many modern games say SSD recommended.
in the end many who play modern games on an HDD have reported not having any major issues.
Have you played this game? It often has elements from different worlds that are quickly changed. The only game I can think of that does anything like this but in slowly is the Medium.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nixxes/Insomniac: HDD is just ok for "720p, Very Low Settings"

Usual Suspects: "Told you, you don't need a PS5 or SSD to run it!"

ozIeX6o.jpg

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
min spec is barely above PS4, and it's PC so there's overhead to take into account which the PS4 wouldn't have to deal with.

HDD also works.

the GTX960 also has less available VRAM than the PS4

yes with massive loadings you mean.

Banned
Have you played this game? It often has elements from different worlds that are quickly changed. The only game I can think of that does anything like this but in slowly is the Medium.

I have the Platinum yes.

and I see not a single thing in the game that wouldn't work kn an HDD and that hasn't been done in some form before.

the portal jumps only happen during scripted setpieces, giving opportunity to hand tailor when stuff gets loaded, what gets loaded etc.
and the destroyed planet where you smack the crystals to switch back and forth are a similar mechanic as in Titanfall 2's time travel mission.

the difference is that in Ratchet the switches can only occur at predetermined places, giving the devs the opportunity to make sure the assets that need to be loaded are both fast to load and maybe even pre-loading while you approach the crystal.

and even those crystals have lile a second of fade out/in to make sure everything can be loaded in time.

Titanfall 2's level does an instant switch, which it has to because you actually have to parcour through spots while switching back and forth.
and switching in TF2 is possible at any time.

the difference between the 2 versions in TF2 is smaller than in Ratchet, I give you that, but like I said it's also instantly done and possible at any time, which is a bit mire tricky

The SSD makes the game look better?

Well, yeah... I imagine it's also like recent games where it will display the LOD texture while the real one loads. If that takes forever (or you don't have the VRAM), it's gonna look like a blurfest.

Nixxes/Insomniac: HDD is just ok for "720p, Very Low Settings"

Usual Suspects: "Told you, you don't need a PS5 or SSD to run it!"

ozIeX6o.jpg

Pretty much.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I knew they were full of shit when they said you needed a PS5 SSD. I voted the HDD choice when the poll was created.

Crappier compatible PC SSDs worked when DF tested it. And someone on gaf said a while back that a YouTube or website tested an even worse SSD than DF’s and it still worked.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I knew they were full of shit when they said you needed a PS5 SSD. I voted the HDD choice when the poll was created.

Crappier compatible PC SSDs worked when DF tested it. And someone on gaf said a while back that a YouTube or website tested an even worse SSD than DF’s and it still worked.

Insomniac themselves tested different SSD's and they also told that R&C wasn't developed based on final specs or was hitting the max of the SSD potential.

Learn to understand the facts instead of going "blaaa blaa full of shit". Your not getting the same performance or game at the lowest settings. And still the lowest recommends SSD.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Why are you so angry LOL!

Portugeezer

I believe I remember Insomniac also suggesting that some of the cutscene "swipe" transitions were helped by the SSD, I wonder how it will turn out on a HDD.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why are you so angry LOL!

PCMASTER RACE..They can't stand when console have tech is better then their shitty pc or not available YET on PC. I don't know but some here are searching for a win lol

What are they gonna do, install this HDD in their PC now and play the whole damn game at the lowest settings, just so they have a argument? Lol good luck playing this at the lowest settings with HDD.

I’m not.

Just laughing at how an archaic PC HDD can run the game the whole time. Lol

That’s marketing for ya.

You haven't even seen it running you fool.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Titanfall 2 had the timetravel level where there was also 2 variants of the same environment that could be switched between even faster than in Ratchet, and also at any given time, while in Ratchet it is only predetermined spots where you can do it, which gives the game an opportunity to pre-load the most important assets while you get close and gives the devs the chance to optimise that specific spot for a fast transition.
It just moved a character from a lower part to a higher part of the map and then back, it didn't load in new "worlds".

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well, yeah... I imagine it's also like recent games where it will display the LOD texture while the real one loads. If that takes forever (or you don't have the VRAM), it's gonna look like a blurfest.
DirectStorage to the rescue.
Direct-Storage-1024x614.png

DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression being enacted.

Quotes from Nixxes:

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:
\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:
\u201cFor Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Last edited:

Tommi84

the portal jumps only happen during scripted setpieces, giving opportunity to hand tailor when stuff gets loaded, what gets loaded etc.
that is not true. There's this giant planet that get's destroyed and you can hammer a crystal to go back and forth between 'broken' and 'ok' planet.

Though I agree, the game is most likely playable on HDD with not many major hiccups

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
DirectStorage to the rescue.
Direct-Storage-1024x614.png

DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression being enacted.

Quotes from Nixxes:

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:
\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:
\u201cFor Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Doesn't tell anything how it perform Some here think HDD will performance the same as the fastest SSD.

Last edited:

Holammer

Everything is in memory already, whenever it shifts the game just portals/teleports the player around the various level chunks. It's not loading the new stuff into memory instantly on demand as people believe. It's all clever design & streaming.

Loxus

Do you guys even asked yourself, maybe the engine is reworked to run on PC?

When we hear only possible on PS5, it's PS5 vs PS4.
When it comes to PC vs PS5, PS5 is just more efficient. Tim Sweeney went through this it great detail.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Do you guys even asked yourself, maybe the engine is reworked to run on PC?

When we hear only possible on PS5, it's PS5 vs PS4.
When it comes to PC vs PS5, PS5 is just more efficient. Tim Sweeney went through this it great detail.

PC enthusiast are Tone deaf. In their tiny minds, they never heard the word PS4 and in their mind, it was always a PS5 vs PC comparison for Insomniac.

As a PC gamer and PS gamer, im getting pretty tired about this group.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Doesn't tell anything how it perform Some here think HDD will performance the same as the fastest SSD.
Name them?

Cuz this thread has purely about whether the min-spec would be an SSD or an HDD.
With DirectStorage and GPU decomp that 5400RPM isnt doing the heavy lifting, your GPU is.

SNG32

960 as a minimum requirement for a ps5 exclusive? Fuck my 1070 laptop could run this decent. I don’t even need my 3070 laptop for this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going by the OP’s criteria, as long as the game runs off an HDD with no noticeably bad loading and stuttering during portal transitions that’s good enough.

Visual quality and settings aren’t part of the poll.

AGRacing

When you're at the absolute lowest settings at a low resolution... of course you can just cram everything you need into RAM ahead. When you're dealing with assets meant for a 4K screen or high/epic settings that changes the equation a bit. Most games that show you the difference in memory between low res and high textures alone can be huge.

Also the PS5 has 16GB ram TOTAL. My PC has 32GB of system memory and 24GB of VRAM. Many here would have at least 16GB ram and 8GB vram. You have a lot more room to preload assets there... so of course part of the reason the PS5 could benefit so much from a very fast SSD is because of the limited RAM pool vs a high end PC.

What we should be REALLY interested in is what ssd / hdd is required on a PC with the PS5 graphics settings and resolution... and can that requirement be changed with more RAM?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When you're at the absolute lowest settings at a low resolution... of course you can just cram everything you need into RAM ahead. When you're dealing with assets meant for a 4K screen or high/epic settings that changes the equation a bit. Most games that show you the difference in memory between low res and high textures alone can be huge.

Also the PS5 has 16GB ram TOTAL. My PC has 32GB of system memory and 24GB of VRAM. Many here would have at least 16GB ram and 8GB vram. You have a lot more room to preload assets there... so of course part of the reason the PS5 could benefit so much from a very fast SSD is because of the limited RAM pool vs a high end PC.

What we should be REALLY interested in is what ssd / hdd is required on a PC with the PS5 graphics settings and resolution... and can that requirement be changed with more RAM?
At some point someone will test the PC game at the lowest min specs which is 8gb system ram and a GTX 960 gpu which whatever extra ram those cards have.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What the hell does "still worked" even mean? Are yall trying to be dishonest or what?

twilo99

Impressive!

It will definitely run on a spin drive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PC enthusiast are Tone deaf. In their tiny minds, they never heard the word PS4 and in their mind, it was always a PS5 vs PC comparison for Insomniac.

As a PC gamer and PS gamer, im getting pretty tired about this group.

I'm starting to hate the PC enthusiast crowd. Or maybe most of them are really anti-Playstation. Either way, they are getting really annoying.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm starting to hate the PC enthusiast crowd. Or maybe most of them are really anti-Playstation. Either way, they are getting really annoying.

Most of them are Xbox or semi-xbox fans = Windows. They hate all tech on console, but it's good when PC.

Why are they cheering for RTX IO or DirectStorage, but hating on PS5's I/O subsystem?

Strange isn't it?

Last edited:

murmulis

Anyway - I'm more interested in finding out if it runs off a SD card - will I have to move it to my Steam Deck's internal drive?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Most of them are Xbox or semi-xbox fans = Windows. They hate all tech on console, but it's good when PC.

Why are they cheering for RTX IO or DirectStorage, but hating on PS5's I/O subsystem?

Strange isn't it?
I think it’s more a response to the people saying “you need a $3,000 PC with at least 16GB of VRAM to match based PS5 secret sauce programmed to the metal!” but that’s just me 💅

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it’s more a response to the people saying “you need a $3,000 PC with at least 16GB of VRAM to match based PS5 secret sauce programmed to the metal!” but that’s just me 💅
Game will run on PC with an HDD and min specs of 8gb ram, plus a GTX 960 which is 2gb. So 10gb total ram.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How well will it run (including the world shifting)? And what will it look like at the lowest settings? I hope someone tests with these exact cards/CPUs.
We’ll all have to wait and see. Graphics and res will for sure be dumbed down as stated in the chart.

Hey you never know, maybe portals will be a 1 minute loading screen messing the game up as gamers stare at a loading bar. But that defeats the purpose of the game zooming in and out of portals. So I highly doubt the portal transitions will be noticeable negatively impactful at all.

Top Bottom