• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

radcliff

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I am pretty sure they have in fact announced new mothership titles before the last one has released.

Edit- Tales of Graces was announced before Tales of Hearts and before Tales of Vesperia PS3 was released.

Interesting. Hope its true, I love the Tales series and would like to play a new mothership title on my Wii U.

AzaK

Do you guys think the Wii U will get Skyrim?.

Reggie did hint it.

If it came, I'd probably buy it. I have the PS3 version, but my PS3 exploded when I put the disc in to play it. It's cheaper to get the Wii U version than buy another PS3.

Meelow

Banned
When it comes to older games (ps360 ports) I think it would be better if they put them up on Wii U's eshop and skip a retail release. Provided its not alot of effort to port, it could be a great way for 3rd parties to make a little extra money on already released games. Iwata did say you would be able to download retail games at launch, so I'm assuming their online will be competent in that regard.

Yeah I could see that happening.

Interesting. Hope its true, I love the Tales series and would like to play a new mothership title on my Wii U.

Since Tales of Abyss on 3DS sold more than Namco's expectations maybe that will convince them to put Tales of Xillia 2 on Wii U, especially since Nintendo and Namco's relationship is getting stronger.

Since Tales of Abyss on 3DS sold more than Namco's expectations maybe that will convince them to put Tales of Xillia 2 on Wii U, especially since Nintendo and Namco's relationship is getting stronger.
I seem to have to post this a lot:

Can we expect new Tales of games for the 3DS, Vita or Xbox 360 or will the series stay on one platform?

Hideo Baba:
When so many consoles exist, this means the development team has such a wide range of possibilities, but regarding the Tales of fans, most of them own a PS3 or a Vita. And thus the team is bound on this hardware. But I understand that there are so many various consoles on the market and it could be possible to release a Tales of game on other consoles.
Source: http://jpgames.de/2012/07/our-interview-with-tales-of-producer-hideo-baba/

It's an interview from last month, negating they actually think there's an userbase on the 3DS or elsewhere. Don't expect a mothership Tales of game on Wii U, most they'll do is a port or crossplatform. Or in the advent of it being "exclusive" expect 6/12 months of exclusivity and an unveiling that the game you already purchased and played through it's incomplete as fuck as they're adding lots of content and an extra chapter exclusively not for you.

Also, since they take forever to localize, chances are our exclusively inferior version won't get localized now. *popcorn.gif*

Seriously, getting excited or expecting anything from the Tales of team, if it's not for a Playstation system is a bag of hurt (and often a waste of money). From B-tier team projects to crappy ports to "mothership" projects meant to be ported later on and their own intervention at screwing their chances of being successful by releasing some games concurrently or announcing the next big thing right before it ships. They're ingeniously stupid.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I seem to have to post this a lot:

Source: http://jpgames.de/2012/07/our-interview-with-tales-of-producer-hideo-baba/

It's an interview from last month, negating they actually think there's an userbase on the 3DS or elsewhere. Don't expect a mothership Tales of game on Wii U, most they'll do is a port or crossplatform. Or in the advent of it being "exclusive" expect 6/12 months of exclusivity and an unveiling that the game you already purchased and played through it's incomplete as fuck as they're adding lots of content and an extra chapter exclusively not for you.

Also, since they take forever to localize, chances are our exclusively inferior version won't get localized now. *popcorn.gif*

They literally have said that about every single platform at one point. Now, it would take quite the sales job by Iwata given Xilia's success.

I think it could get Skyrim with the Dawnguard expansion as a "Game of the Year Edition" or something

I could see that, but then I'd guess if they were going to do a GoTY edition they would have announced it by now.

Zenimax is a tougher nut to crack, AFAIK they have 0 history with Nintendo so I wouldn't expect it. The bigger the ship the longer it'll take to change direction.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing a port as the gamepad is a perfect inventory management system.

*bearing in mind that I already have a ton of hours sunk into the PC version and would be unlikely to double dip at this point.

Meelow

Banned
I don't care if their isn't an exclusive Tales game for the Wii U, It would just seem like a good idea to also bring Xillia 2 to Wii U.

I've always loved the Elder Scrolls franchise and have held back on buying Skyrim because the GamePad integration will make it the superior version. If it does happen I'm expecting a similar sort of thing that happened with the year late PS3 SKU of Oblivion - a slight graphical upgrade.

But the WRPG I'm itching to see on the U is Fallout 4. A Pip-Boy in the palm of your hand will be seven shades of Awesome.

They literally have said that about every single platform at one point. Now, it would take quite the sales job by Iwata given Xilia's success.
Not really; just Playstation platforms.
Now, it would take quite the sales job by Iwata given Xilia's success.
There's still two mothership teams, Team Symphonia (Vesperia/Xilia) and Team Destiny (Destiny/Graces).

It's their interest in not having them competing directly (and it's smelling like with Xillia 2 being announced right off the bat and the Graces team being free since December 2010 the release of a new title by both of them could be close together).

To create a pattern for Team Destiny:

ToD2: November 28, 2002
ToR: December 16, 2004
ToDR: November 30, 2006
ToDR-DC: January 31, 2008
ToG: December 10, 2009
ToGF: December 2, 2010

In short, their development time seems to be 2-3 years; with directors cut versions being able to be launched in the middle of such cycle without significantly hamper the next game development. It's unlikely ToG team was wasting all their resources for the ToGF extra content, just like they clearly weren't with Tales of Destiny Remake: Directors Cut (TODR-DC). In short, seems extremely likely they should be approaching the time such title is pretty much ready/in final phases of polishing (benefitting from quite a large development time); effectively possibly putting them in collision route with Tales of Xilia 2 had the title been slated for Q4 2012 (and probably being delayed due to that). That is, if the merger of the Tales Studio with Namco didn't nuke them off the earth or merge them with the Xilia team (and I haven't been able to confirm Tales of Innocence R credits roll as having being dealt with by Alpha System, could have been theirs but I doubt it).

Anyway, if that's so then such title could be near complete and as such could make sense for Namco. But this studio doesn't go by logic, hell no; they're a logistic trainwreck.
I don't care if their isn't an exclusive Tales game for the Wii U, It would just seem like a good idea to also bring Xillia 2 to Wii U.
Seems as logic as releasing Tales of Destiny 2, Final Fantasy X-2 or Final Fantasy XIII-2 without the preceding titles on a Nintendo platform tbh; it would just feed the argument that the userbase isn't there/there's no interest because they won't buy a sequel of a best-selling game they didn't get. (and unlike other genres/franchises, the plot here ought to be pretty intertwined: being a direct sequel)

Zenimax is a tougher nut to crack, AFAIK they have 0 history with Nintendo so I wouldn't expect it. The bigger the ship the longer it'll take to change direction.
They published Medieval Games, AMF Bowling World Lanes and AMF Bowling: Pinbusters for the Wii.

And Bethesda said they'd support the Wii U if it was powerful enough and also remarked that a Skyrim port could happen.

I'd totally bite on a WiiU Skyrim. Been holding out until I build a decent PC, but if EA can get it running at a step above the current consoles and exploit the Gamepad? Sold.

Also, Capcom should announce a superior WiiU version of RE6 just weeks before the current gen version launches. You know...payback.

So uh...have I missed anything of any interest at all about the Wii-U since E3?

And for God's Sake, please let it be more then just damn dev kits and color schemes

jerd

And for God's Sake, please let it be more then just damn dev kits and color schemes

Um... There's a headphone jack in the gamepad... did you know there was a headphone jack in the gamepad? Oh... ok then no.

Seriously though I don't believe anything legit has come out since then. ZombiU looked graphically improved at Comic-Con but I don't think there has been anything else concrete.

jerd

They published Medieval Games, AMF Bowling World Lanes and AMF Bowling: Pinbusters for the Wii.

And Bethesda said they'd support the Wii U if it was powerful enough and also remarked that a Skyrim port could happen.

I was about to say that I wouldn't care at all for another year old port, but switching weapons/ spells/shouts on the fly without pulling up any kind of menu at all would actually add to the experience quite a bit I believe. It would be very cool to have a map/hotkey menu on the gamepad screen at all times. Sometimes it felt like I spent 1/4 of my time with that game navigating a menu :p

So, does the Star Fox/Metroid crossover also get announced in September?

punch.jpg

Yes...no.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Uh yeah, don't believe a single word from Namco when it comes to Tales of. They WILL run a test on Wii U with a Tales of eventually.

Uh yeah, don't believe a single word from Namco when it comes to Tales of. They WILL run a test on Wii U with a Tales of eventually.

I love how they've changed the main platform for the series each year at their Tales events a couple of times in a row, when discussing its future.

Lyude77

It's not Star Fox/Metroid, it's Kirby/Fire Emblem/Mother.

I'd buy that. If it was based on Kirby gameplay, it'd be like Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary, but hey, it wasn't that bad. If it was Fire Emblem gameplay, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, instant GOAT, etc. If it was Mother gameplay, I'd have to check it out first since I've never played a Mother game (yeah, I know. I would have bought it on VC/local release, though).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Part 2 of an interview with Harada of Tekken fame.

On Tekken Tag 2...

As far as the console exclusives go, there are some things that I am thinking about, one of which was shown at E3 where Heihachi eats a mushroom and becomes big. Those are some of the things that we can only do because we’re collaborating with Nintendo. That’s something people seem to be excited about so I have more of those kinds of ideas planned.

On specs...

I’m a bit reluctant to talk about the Wii U specs, when I mentioned something earlier it got totally blown out of proportion and twisted. However while developing Tag 2, since it’s very graphic intensive because of the multiple characters on screen, there was still some power left over for graphic capabilities so the graphics chips seems to be pretty decent.

On Smash Bros...

Some people might say online that I’m going to be involved in the development process or not but that shouldn’t really be an issue because the game design is going to be handled Masahiro Sakurai. So I don’t understand why there would be any worries there.

On Tekken / Namco characters appearing...

Obviously I’m not going to say to Sakurai, “We want Tekken characters, please put it in” that’s not the case so people don’t have to worry about that. The sole decision will probably be made in a way that if more people want Tekken characters in it then Sakurai might choose to do so, if not then so be it.

http://dustycartridge.com/features/a-chat-with-tekken-series-director-katsuhiro-harada-part-2/

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
When he said his words where twisted was he talking about when he said the Clock Speed was slower and everyone freaked out?.

I'm guessing so, unless there's something else he said that I missed?

axisofweevils

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed will have different characters depending on platform.

The thing is, different people think of different things when you say 'How many characters are in the game'.

Are we talking about playable choices, drivers, vehicle forms, which platform are we talking about, what?

Me, I go with actual playable choices on the character select. Over all the different platforms, this totals up to 29 actual playable choices. But that doesn't mean that there are 29 playable choices in all platforms (in fact no single platform has all 29). Some drop down to the low 20's, some instead have high 20's.

Why is this? Well some platforms have characters that are unique to that platform. I'm not going to say which, that's part of the fun of the reveals! Some are SEGA characters, some are not. Don't bother asking :p

Playable choices doesn't necessarily equal drivers either. Not as we're talking passengers or hood ornaments, counting those would indeed be cheap, but you know this is game all about transformation, we are doing things with the vehicles that we've not shown you, that are going to really surprise you.

So yes I get that it's fun to debate who is right and who is wrong, but at the end of the day, you can measure what's there in loads of different ways. Across all the playable vehicles, there are currently more than 90 different forms (as each vehicle has a land, air and sea mode + you've not seen anything on the All-Stars...) and who said each vehicle was limited to a single driver... Or indeed vehicle type per surface.

Wait and see. This is why whenever you ask us anywhere, we can't give you a straight answer. Well that and the NDA's.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...racters-quot&p=7471522&viewfull=1#post7471522

Guess this means an inevitable Mario and Luigi appearance for the Wii U version, then...

Guess this means an inevitable Mario and Luigi appearance then for the Wii U version, then...
I doubt it.

It's competing directly with mario kart, so it would be like having a non-nintendo platformer with a mario cameo. it's a no-no situation.

Probably some character from Sega more deep rooted to the platform in question.

Meelow

Banned
I hope Mario is in the Wii U version, that would be the first glimpse of Mario in HD, you can't really see it of course in NSMBU.

Also, Capcom should announce a superior WiiU version of RE6 just weeks before the current gen version launches. You know...payback.

While I love the thought of this, if Capcom does that it would only be noticed by the core fans. I'm not even sure that core fans are even excited for RE6 since it still looks more like a slow third person shooter....

Banned
It is, I'm saying you can't really show off true HD Mario in a sid-scroller.
You can't see it either from a go-kart. Until we get EAD's 3D Mario, we won't see true HD Mario. The question is, what has the team who developed Galaxy 1 (Tokyo EAD 1) been doing since 2007?

Meelow

Banned
You can't see it either from a go-kart. Until we get EAD's 3D Mario, we won't see true HD Mario. The question is, what has the team who developed Galaxy 1 (Tokyo EAD 1) been doing since 2007?

Most likely making Mario Wii U, I hope we can see a glimpse of it at the Fall Conference but I doubt it.

Comandr

how... DARE you.

Sorry. Mirror's Edge just wasn't very interesting for me. It was like my character was trying to visually navigate the original Steel Battalion controller through interpretive free running. Mirror's Edge was a strong idea, but it's not a strong franchise. A second attempt is just throwing money into a pit.

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-800wi_7998.jpg

jmizzal

When it comes to older games (ps360 ports) I think it would be better if they put them up on Wii U's eshop and skip a retail release. Provided its not alot of effort to port, it could be a great way for 3rd parties to make a little extra money on already released games. Iwata did say you would be able to download retail games at launch, so I'm assuming their online will be competent in that regard.

That makes since so it prob wont happen lol

ArynCrinn

Banned
It is, I'm saying you can't really show off true HD Mario in a sid-scroller.

How so exactly? Being in HD resolution can greatly enhance pixel/tile perfect accuracy, especially for a platformer or shmup let's say, in terms of what the player can see frame-by-frame. I'd argue even moreso than a non-HD game. Unless you're just talking about "showing off" based on geometry, technical effects and eye candy, which I agree with, but which usually have little bearing on core gameplay.

Meelow

Banned
How so exactly? Being in HD resolution can greatly enhance pixel/tile perfect accuracy, especially for a platformer or shmup let's say, in terms of what the player can see frame-by-frame. I'd argue even moreso than a non-HD game. Unless you're just talking about "showing off" based on geometry, technical effects and eye candy, which I agree with, but which usually have little bearing on core gameplay.

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

If all of us (me) who are bitching and moaning about Wii U specs this and specs that had 1/2 the level of excitement of HipHopGamer, we'd stop worrying about that shit and just enjoy the games.

Haha. I think 1/4 would cover it. GAF would shut down if posters here had half of HHG's excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom