• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS: Lies, Confusion and The Tragedy of Wii U

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Few companies have revolutionized video games in more ways than Nintendo. The practice of literally stamping cartridges with the Nintendo Seal of Quality, introduced to circumvent Atari’s failures at quality control, marked the first step towards hardware makers profiting from software developed by third-party studios. And it need not be stated how effectively the Wii appealed to multiple generations, from children enjoying their first video game to nursing home residents in need of a convenient and fun tool for bolstering their motor skills. For decades, Nintendo constituted the entry point for many a gamer and easily vacillated between catering to casual and hardcore audiences. But after the Wii prioritized the casual with motion controls, which came at the cost of third-party support, Nintendo used its successor—the Wii U—to regain a foothold in the market dominated by PlayStation and Xbox.

The Wii U should’ve proven yet another sticking point for the manufacturer, given the inventive second screen application, interoperability between it and the 3DS, and backwards compatibility with the Wii. Unlike previous Nintendo devices, the Wii successor even supported HD graphics. A wide range of factors converged to prevent the home console from gaining much traction, however, chief among them being the sheer confusion that pervaded pre-launch marketing campaigns. Misguided by unclear messaging, trusted media sources most notably wrote previews describing the Wii U as a peripheral for the Wii; the product’s bizarre naming convention only exacerbated this particular issue.

Not even the acclaimed Mario Kart 8 could boost the system’s poor sales. As such, Wii U sold a dismal 13.5 million units in its lifetime, failure Nintendo hadn’t faced since the GameCube era. And it left many wondering if the House of Mario would ever fully recover.

This is the tragedy of Wii U.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is there some sort of anniversary going on? That's like a third time I'm seeing something about this console since yesterday.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I bought one on launch day and man I enjoyed the hell out of it.

- Nintendo Land was an absolute blast. Some of those games felt like true arcade classics where you feel so compelled to set a high score. And the Animal Crossing game was some of the best casual local multiplayer I’ve ever had.

- Miiverse was awesome! It was so fun just making and sharing pictures, chatting with random people about whatever. It was surprisingly wholesome and chill

- also really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles X, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, Sonic & All Stars Racing, Splatoon, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, etc

That said it was such a fuck up. Expensive, underpowered, confusingly named and marketed. Like they couldn’t decide whether to make a “Wii HD”, a traditional console, or a DS inspired dual-screen concept, so they said yes to everything and tried to do it all. Oh and cram it all into a “3 DVD cases” form factor and include hardware BC with Wii.

Fbh

I enjoyed mine but aside from the solid selection of first party titles it kinda sucked.
Other than the games the only thing about it that I still remember fondly for some reason is that the web browser was pretty solid

Dane

It wasn't just the name, that was one of the issues but not THE issue.

You gotta ask yourself "Would you pay 300 dollars for a console that is just slightly more powerful than the PS3 and 360, with a small internal disk space, whose design is almost a home console version of the Nintendo DS concept, just 12 months away from the next generation with a paltry third party support?".

It was always a poorly timed project, they lost most of their old core public to Sony and Microsoft, they lost the casuals to mobile. The Wii had infamously become the "dust catcher" console after 3 years in the market as sales slumped hard at the mid life and barely made the 100 million units sold after a very roaring introduction, most third parties had dropped or supported with shovelware, while its rivals ended up close each in numbers.

mcjmetroid

A solid system with some good exclusives. Unfortunately it left a sour taste in my mouth and I still don't own a switch.
the last few years of the Wii left a few sour taste in my mind so that's why I didn't buy the WIIU.

When they were talking about the vitality sensor and Wii music I knew the game was up. I never thought they could comeback from it.

SaintALia

Poor Wii U, but don't worry, your tablet controller design at least looks better than Sony's. I also hope Sony has some of that wireless lagless streaming tech inside their Q thing.

I thought it was a neat idea though, but I knew from the onset almost no one would really make use of that second screen and as time went on it seemed Nintendo wasn't sure how to make proper use of it either, or they didn't want to invest the resources to try. At least they got some cool games to port to Switch and it seemed like a necessary stepping stone to the Switch.

I think the accessory madness of the Wii led to a lot of the confusion with the controller. Ubisoft's controller thing and the fact that the Wii U console itself looked very similar in design to the Wii didn't help matters. Putting the controller together with the console in marketing materials wasn't the fix they thought it was.

I also want a Zombi U 2. I know it wasn't received massively well or anything, btu I really dug that game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I had multiple people ask me “what’s a Wii U?” after I told them I had one. Lots of people weren’t sure if it was an add-on for Wii or what.

I remember they had commercials that said “upgrade to a Wii U!” WTF is that supposed to mean? Casuals already stopped caring about Wii a couple years ago, they aren’t going to go out and research what a Wii U is. They aren’t looking for an upgrade.

Oh don’t forget the “unprecedented partnership” with EA that ended up being nothing. PS3/360 got FIFA with a new engine while Wii U got a shitty version with the previous engine + updated roster.

What about the kickass Zelda tech demo that never became an actual game? There were even some rumors (though not proven AFAIK) that the final Wii U GPU got downgraded from 320 execution units to 160 and that demo wasn’t even possible on the final spec.

Miyamoto straight up said “games won’t look dramatically better than they do on the competition’s systems” while Reggie went on the news and said that games like Black Ops 2 would look far better than on PS3/360 (it didn’t, and most games ran similar or worse).

IBM released some press statement about how Wii U was based on the same technology as Watson, so all the dipshits online ran with it and started all these rumors that it was using POWER7 or something… then later on they clarified “no we just meant it’s using a Power PC architecture”. Turned out it was using a tri-core version of the CPU from Wii which was itself based on GameCube LMFAO

Man you could write a whole book about all the shit that went wrong with Wii U (literally… I would buy that book if someone wrote it)

SaintALia

I had multiple people ask me “what’s a Wii U?” after I told them I had one. Lots of people weren’t sure if it was an add-on for Wii or what.

I remember they had commercials that said “upgrade to a Wii U!” WTF is that supposed to mean? Casuals already stopped caring about Wii a couple years ago, they aren’t going to go out and research what a Wii U is. They aren’t looking for an upgrade.

Oh don’t forget the “unprecedented partnership” with EA that ended up being nothing. PS3/360 got FIFA with a new engine while Wii U got a shitty version with the previous engine + updated roster.

What about the kickass Zelda tech demo that never became an actual game? There were even some rumors (though not proven AFAIK) that the final Wii U GPU got downgraded from 320 execution units to 160 and that demo wasn’t even possible on the final spec.

Miyamoto straight up said “games won’t look dramatically better than they do on the competition’s systems” while Reggie went on the news and said that games like Black Ops 2 would look far better than on PS3/360 (it didn’t, and most games ran similar or worse).

IBM released some press statement about how Wii U was based on the same technology as Watson, so all the dipshits online ran with it and started all these rumors that it was using POWER7 or something… then later on they clarified “no we just meant it’s using a Power PC architecture”. Turned out it was using a tri-core version of the CPU from Wii which was itself based on GameCube LMFAO

Man you could write a whole book about all the shit that went wrong with Wii U (literally… I would buy that book if someone wrote it)
They also did that GC Zelda tech demo. Nintendo has done tech demos using their franchise characters to show off hardware before. There was also that bird tech demo that Reggie wasn't telling us who did it and making it seem like it's some super secret probable game project, which was just bullshit. I still don't know who did that damn demo....

I was lurking around the Wii U hardware speculation threads. Shit was fun. People had some wild ideas about what the Wii U could do and how powerful it was, with Iherre and wisspell, blu, explaining tech things, Ideaman leaking stuff. Ah fun times.

And after all that, it was just a slightly behind Xbox 360 in CPU and slightly ahead in GPU console and I think it had a memory bandwidth bottleneck as well, despite the memory upgrade. So it never quite came out ahead of the other consoles.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They also did that GC Zelda tech demo. Nintendo has done tech demos using their franchise characters to show off hardware before. There was also that bird tech demo that Reggie wasn't telling us who did it and making it seem like it's some super secret probable game project, which was just bullshit. I still don't know who did that damn demo....

I was lurking around the Wii U hardware speculation threads. Shit was fun. People had some wild ideas about what the Wii U could do and how powerful it was, with Iherre and wisspell, blu, explaining tech things, Ideaman leaking stuff. Ah fun times.

And after all that, it was just a slightly behind Xbox 360 in CPU and slightly ahead in GPU console and I think it had a memory bandwidth bottleneck as well, despite the memory upgrade. So it never quite came out ahead of the other consoles.
Man, the shit I read over on the GameFAQs WiiU board was hilarious at the time and even funnier in retrospect. They were convinced it would be some advanced tech on par with PS4 and X1, and that Sony would double down on every mistake they made with PS3, making it some Uber-expensive exotic system that’s hard to program for.

Early dev kits used a Radeon HD 4830 which was 2 generations old at the time and everybody was saying “I’m sure the final version will be something newer”… turned out it was actually weaker.

“The dev kits are intentionally underclocked, the final version will be more powerful”

“Wii U is designed for GPGPU programming, once devs learn the new paradigm it’ll really pull ahead of current gen”

The best was that some Vigil dev said something like “we are happy with Wii U’s hardware, we didn’t have to make any compromises in order to bring Darksiders to Wii U”. One of the biggest fanboys there took that to mean “they have the PC version of Darksiders running on Wii U at 1080p 60 FPS with all settings maxed out, PS3 and 360 don’t come close”. I liked that quote so much I made it my sig lol

(By the way that guy was a total douche. I googled his name recently and he’s now a Sandy Hook denying lunatic)

Alan Wake

People give the naming too much blame for the failure of the Wii U. Main problem wasn't the name but the fact that it was an ill-conceived system to begin with. Built around the toylike Gamepad. Just not attractive in any way. The Wii had faded out at that point and still they wanted to ride on that wave with the name, the motion controls and another gimmicky controller. They assumed the formula would work once again and that Nintendoland would become the new Wii Sports. Fils-Aime said as much. Nintendo were delusional almost.

Having said that, the Wii U may have been a commercial disaster but it holds some really great Nintendo exclusives. I even liked Zombi U

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

The console was a dumpster fire but fuck, i loved that dumpster fire. Miiverse was great, and playing splatoon when nobody knew any meta was a blast.

Robb

Gold Member
I bought one at launch, it was a neat idea but imo the GamePad and the “asymmetric gameplay” gimmick wasn’t a very good hook.

It probably pushed them to make the Switch though, which is one of their best systems ever so.. Silver linings.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Like I said multiple times, I loathed the system itself, but I loved the games.
I remember the system update taking hours to download and complete the day I bought the console, some time after release. Booting it up, being forced to use the Gamepad and keep it on at all times with its limited battery, the slowness of it all, the sheer amount of stuff it required fro m the sensor bar to the multiple Wiimotes.

But the first night with two friends and Nintendo Land was magical. One of the last really good couch multiplayer nights of my life, before Mario Kart 8 and then Smash took over and became routine. And the other Nintendo games were banger after banger. I still have a few to play. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was one of those games you can’t fully reproduce on “normal“ systems, and I loved it. Splatoon went from “doubt this will make it to 100,000 sales” to “fuck this is great” in the span of the free online Splat-test. DK was fantastic. I could go on. The system’s releases dried up fast, but it was a great time all the way up to late 2015- early 2016.

Oh, and that Pro Controller was ace. The Switch’s is bad in comparison.

Alan Wake

Like I said multiple times, I loathed the system itself, but I loved the games.
I remember the system update taking hours to download and complete the day I bought the console, some time after release. Booting it up, being forced to use the Gamepad and keep it on at all times with its limited battery, the slowness of it all, the sheer amount of stuff it required fro m the sensor bar to the multiple Wiimotes.

But the first night with two friends and Nintendo Land was magical. One of the last really good couch multiplayer nights of my life, before Mario Kart 8 and then Smash took over and became routine. And the other Nintendo games were banger after banger. I still have a few to play. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was one of those games you can’t fully reproduce on “normal“ systems, and I loved it. Splatoon went from “doubt this will make it to 100,000 sales” to “fuck this is great” in the span of the free online Splat-test. DK was fantastic. I could go on. The system’s releases dried up fast, but it was a great time all the way up to late 2015- early 2016.

Oh, and that Pro Controller was ace. The Switch’s is bad in comparison.

I remember the "Save Wii U" chalk board at the time when no game seemed to be able to turn things around for the system. Drop the Gamepad or make it voluntary to use was one idea. Just replace it with the Pro Controller, some thought. It would lower the price and make the system less goofy. But obviously Nintendo didn't think they Wii U could be saved and concluded that it would just lose them more money. When great games like SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 couldn't do it, no game could. So they rode that gen out and prepared for Switch.

Alan Wake

I bought the Wii U specifically for Mario Kart 8. I bought a hand full of Wii U games following but it was really to play Mario Kart. No regerts.
I bought mine in 2019, so after it was discontinued. I had found 5 or 6 games I wanted to play. Ended up buying 30. So I got quite some fun for the money, and liked the experience. Although I'll never be a friend with the Gamepad, some games, like Rayman Legends and Zombi U, utilized it very well.

Last edited:

drganon

I almost bought one towards the end of its life, but ended up deciding against it. Don't really regret it since the majority of its best games got ported to the switch.

Gambit2483

The Wii U crawled so that the Switch could run. Nintendo was clearly struggling with supporting several platforms even though their handhelds basically kept them afloat.

They basically took the best of the Wii U and 3DS and slapped it all into one single product...and the rest is, as they say, history.

Trilobit

I expected Nintendo to perfect the Wiimote concept even further and make a much more powerful console with Wii 2. When I saw the Gamepad on the conference I felt let down as I knew it meant that they wouldn't focus on the motion controllers any more.

Never bought one, but appreciate the games ported to the Switch.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
My least favorite Nintendo console. Thankfully, all that mattered was re-released on the Switch. The main selling point of the console wouldn’t work unless you had a perfect connection between the console and the gamepad.

Kusarigama

Gvmers knows how to make a triggering title. I got triggered by it even though i am bonafied team blue 😅

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just stumbled upon this on YouTube about an hour ago and then saw this thread.

Good video. I liked the Wii U but it definitely felt like a tech demo for what was to come with the Switch. Poor marketing and no sex appeal meant it had no chance.

Luckily, as touched on in the video, the 3DS was a behemoth.

consoul

I don't care what anyone says. WiiU was great.

Having most of its first party catalog ported to Switch has diminished it in retrospect, but at the time, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Zombi U and Super Smash Bros were a fucking blast. Even Miiverse ruled.

Mr Hyde

Wii U was an intriguing console but I never took the plunge despite missing out on a few awesome games that Nintendo released. It was pretty clear from the beginning that Wii U didn't have much of a future and I just couldn't see myself supporting that. And the abysmal third party support didn't help either. Luckily Nintendo bounced back with the Switch, which is one of my all time favorite consoles, and I finally got to play all those awesome Wii U games that I missed out on.

The worst thing about the WiiU was how Nintendo handled everything regarding it after the Switch came out and how anti-consumer they were in comparison to before.

Going from the Wii to the WiiU you could transfer data to and play all your Wii games on the WiiU. And you could also get all your Virtual Console games on it for discounted price if you wanted to play them on the new WiiU emulator with mappable buttons. If not you could just play them in Wii mode at least for free. You could use Wii-motes and Wii Classic controllers on the WiiU as well. I still got the vastly superior WiiU Pro controller, but the options were nice.

Now, while I wouldn’t expect WiiU games to work on a Switch several things would’ve been nice if they could’ve transferred over. Like if you bought a digital version of a WiiU game like Mario 3D world, it would’ve been nice to have a discount at least. Or at least the Switch could’ve had an actual Virtual Console that your WiiU purchases could’ve transferred over to. It also would’ve been nice to use the WiiU Pro controller on Switch considering it’s functionally the same as the Switch Pro Controller (besides Gyro, which barely any third party controllers have anyways).

Some sort of bone would’ve been nice for them to throw us WiiU owners, and it’s something I feel would’ve been done had Iwata still been around. Instead when I went to play BotW on the WiiU I was greeted with a black Gamepad screen saying “tap to play on the Gamepad”. No map, no inventory, nothing.

It was the final Fuck U to WiiU owners, as the game couldn’t even come with all the features it was previewed to have, all because they didn’t want it to have anything over the Switch version. They later said it was because they thought it “wouldn’t fit the game,” but that’s bullshit because it worked perfectly fine in WW and TP HD.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I bet Splatoon and Mario maker alone already made up for all the money Nintendo lost on the console.

Yeah ,it's pretty bad, but at least I can play switch greatest hits for half the price.

Deerock71

A solid system with some good exclusives. Unfortunately it left a sour taste in my mouth and I still don't own a switch.
Nintendo:________You:
bazinga GIF

cireza

I have great memories of this console. My most cherished Nintendo console. Sadly games don't stand very well the test of time, as many are 30fps or less (as with many games from PS360WiiU era). Playing Breath of the Wild on this console is painful.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The poor Wii U. Nintendo made so many mistakes and the system was chock full of annoyances. But it was well, well worth the money to buy at launch. At the time I lived in a house full of relatives with kids ranging from 12 to 18, all Nintendo fans. Just Nintendo Land was worth the money. There was no way I was gonna wait even a second to play their first HD games like 3D World. Now the family is fragmented and lives all over the country, had I waited I'd have nothing but the Switch version to play by myself.

Today I can even use the same Wii U to play almost every pre-Switch Nintendo game including DS and especially GameCube with great image quality, native. Monster console. Needing a pile of controllers to use it seems bad until you realize that is still more convenient than having 6 generations of game systems on deck. Even though it was a "failure" I never regretted buying it for a second. In fact I recently purchased another one lol.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The worst thing about the WiiU was how Nintendo handled everything regarding it after the Switch came out and how anti-consumer they were in comparison to before.

Going from the Wii to the WiiU you could transfer data to and play all your Wii games on the WiiU. And you could also get all your Virtual Console games on it for discounted price if you wanted to play them on the new WiiU emulator with mappable buttons. If not you could just play them in Wii mode at least for free. You could use Wii-motes and Wii Classic controllers on the WiiU as well. I still got the vastly superior WiiU Pro controller, but the options were nice.

Now, while I wouldn’t expect WiiU games to work on a Switch several things would’ve been nice if they could’ve transferred over. Like if you bought a digital version of a WiiU game like Mario 3D world, it would’ve been nice to have a discount at least. Or at least the Switch could’ve had an actual Virtual Console that your WiiU purchases could’ve transferred over to. It also would’ve been nice to use the WiiU Pro controller on Switch considering it’s functionally the same as the Switch Pro Controller (besides Gyro, which barely any third party controllers have anyways).

Some sort of bone would’ve been nice for them to throw us WiiU owners, and it’s something I feel would’ve been done had Iwata still been around. Instead when I went to play BotW on the WiiU I was greeted with a black Gamepad screen saying “tap to play on the Gamepad”. No map, no inventory, nothing.

It was the final Fuck U to WiiU owners, as the game couldn’t even come with all the features it was previewed to have, all because they didn’t want it to have anything over the Switch version. They later said it was because they thought it “wouldn’t fit the game,” but that’s bullshit because it worked perfectly fine in WW and TP HD.
I played in on the WiiU because I refused to buy a Switch ( for all of 4 months) and while I agree the inventory or map would have helped, Zelda was not the game to be playing on a controller with such limited battery life. I played with the stupid pro controller and the fucking game made me use the second screen controller for the shitty gyro shrines.

I played in on the WiiU because I refused to buy a Switch ( for all of 4 months) and while I agree the inventory or map would have helped, Zelda was not the game to be playing on a controller with such limited battery life. I played with the stupid pro controller and the fucking game made me use the second screen controller for the shitty gyro shrines.
I played with the Procon as well, but would’ve played the whole game with the Gamepad constantly plugged in if had all the features.

I find it interesting that the aarticle starts out with an irrelevant misfactoid about Nintendo introducing lock out measures, which all the previous big companies had, including Atari (7800) before the NES came to the west.

But it's how the writer is trying to set up a sympathy angle so people don't go so hard on the Wii U by the time they finish the article.

Which won't work because the Wii U was a PEEEE YOUUUU. Right guys?
I have great memories of this console. My most cherished Nintendo console. Sadly games don't stand very well the test of time, as many are 30fps or less (as with many games from PS360WiiU era). Playing Breath of the Wild on this console is painful.
But you could argue that the Wii U may be the best way to play those 360/ps3 games if you missed out or your original systems were broken. It's probably the one major reason to still consider buying one. Later ports especially are an advantage because the 2005 hardware of the 360 was getting ln the tooth.

OuterLimits

The fact Xenoblade X is one of the few games apparently being left to die on the failed console is a damn travesty. Even Tokyo Mirage Sessions was released on the Switch.

bender

What time is it?
The Gamepad feels so cheap and is difficult to replace (mine creeks). The library was also dismal but at least we got Mario Maker and Splatoon.

Top Bottom