• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

i-Lo

I just love how people here on GAF just automatically assumed that WiiU will get trounced by MS and Sony's new systems. Given Sony's precarious financial condition, I can't see them building another monster console and it's entirely plausible that the PS4 will use a similar CPU to the WiiU and Durango.

Yes, because newer architecture doesn't account for anything. And because giving your competition around a year head start if you have the exact same or slightly better hardware capability allowing your competition to not only build a substantial install base but garner large third party support as well is such an ideal business decision.

Oh and I am talking about Xbox 3.

Well if this is fake, the Wii U Cell info from Marcan is also fake.

People can't believe that the Wii U info is true and then go and call him out on the 720 rumor.

It's either both are true or both are false, we can't have double standards.

the wii u info is from him directly hacking the hardware, the durango info is a 3rd hand rumor. Double standards don't apply here.

MormaPope

Banned

People can't believe that the Wii U info is true and then go and call him out on the 720 rumor.

What? No.

If somehow the Wii-U stuff is proven correct, he was right. Whether or not he's a bullshitter is still up for debate after that fact. It's easier to prove the Wii-U one correct or incorrect due to it actually existing for consumers and hackers at this point.

Not everyone in this thread has been keeping up with this dude's claims, nor has everyone picked a side.

Meelow

Banned
the wii u info is from him directly hacking the hardware, the durango info is a 3rd hand rumor. Double standards don't apply here.

Marcan Didn't exactly explain how he directly got the Wii U info though, so it is double standards if you think about it.

Log4Girlz

I'm pretty sure rumors of an amd chip must be wrong. I'm expecting a triple core celeron. You know, the core architecture of the original xbox.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It's sad so many HD remakes have problems, otherwise I would have no problem with BC out.

Well some are decent, Sony speaking wise

Some are just greedy Cash Grabs

I enjoyed the Jak & Daxter + Ratchet & Clank + Sly Cooper Collections

i-Lo

Marcan Didn't explain how he directly got the Wii U info though, so it is double standards if you think about it.

He explicitly stated that he hacked it. So first hand data retrieval and second rumours aren't comparable.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true.

Edit: Given california's legislation about power restriction for consoles when they perform functions not related to gaming, I have heard that Durango may feature some form of boost (overclocking) function during gaming.

Of course they added new instructions and stuff over time to help too, like SSE3 onwards.
Also, the Wii U CPU has its roots in 1999 tech - even the IBM G4 had already been out then.
And I believe a 1.25 GHz G4 is about as powerful as a 2GHz Pentium IV Netburst.

G4 refers to the mac line. The actual processor line is the PowerPC 7xxx series. The highest clocked versions are dual core at 2 Ghz (Those came out in 2005).

PowerPC processors haven't really evolved too much in their ISA given they are RISC processors. There's custom vector extensions that have been added to the PowerPC processors over time but vector arithmetic is actually better done by a GPGPU.

Marcan Didn't explain how he directly got the Wii U info though, so it is double standards if you think about it.

considering durango hardware is probably not even final right now, it's safe to say he didn't get the info by hacking a durango retail unit.

braves01

Banned
Well some are decent, Sony speaking wise

Some are just greedy Cash Grabs

I enjoyed the Jak & Daxter + Ratchet & Clank + Sly Cooper Collections

Yeah there are definitely good ones out there. Metal Gear HD collection is legit, hell MGS 3 is like a brand new game. But even that is missing some effects, and then there is the Silent Hill HD collection, PoP collection, and so on.

Lol, people really know what the info at op mean? it is not the same a triple core wii+ cpu at 1.6ghz than a multicore, modern amd cpu, at 1.6ghz with turbo core.

Meelow

Banned
He explicitly stated that he hacked it. So first hand data retrieval and second rumours aren't comparable.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true.

Edit: Given california's legislation about power restriction for consoles when they perform functions not related to gaming, I have heard that Durango may feature some form of boost (overclocking) function during gaming.

I 100% believe what he said, I have no doubts in that the Wii U CPU isn't 1.2GHz, and I have no doubts about the 720 rumor, we just need to know who his source is but I have a feeling he wouldn't post it if his source is unreliable.

GraveRobberX

SERIOUSLY. I could certainly see something like this being a possibility what with all the problems Microsoft had with red rings this generation... Yikes.

Wasn't that more of a heatsink placement issue

Like the inner working weren't really thought out

Teletraan1

Banned

He has a Wii U CPU in front of him.

A little birdie pointed out that the 720 CPU is clocked as such.

One is first hand information, the other is something that somebody told him. It is possible for 1 to be true and the other to be false.

i-Lo

I 100% believe what he said, I have no doubts in that the Wii U CPU isn't 1.2GHz, and I have no doubts about the 720 rumor, we just need to know who his source is but I have a feeling he wouldn't post it if his source is unreliable.

In either case, he won't reveal his source/s. That would be illogical and will prejudice his and his source's position. So don't expect any names or specifics.

Meelow

Banned
He has a Wii U CPU in front of him.

A little birdie pointed out that the 720 CPU is clocked as such.

One is first hand information, the other is something that somebody told him. It is possible for 1 to be true and the other to be false.

Of course, I'm just saying people can't call him out for lying.

In either case, he won't reveal his source/s. That would be illogical and will prejudice his and his source's position. So don't expect any names or specifics.

Oh yeah, I know we will never know who his source is.

i-Lo

Yes, because developers are totally going to bash a system that they are selling their games on.

Well they did for WiiU before they were figuratively slain by fanboys here and almost everywhere before they had to back peddle.

BlackJace

Yes, because developers are totally going to bash the console that they are potentially selling their games on before it even hits the market.

So the platform that isn't their platform of choice is fair game for them to bash?
That seems like a real unbiased source.

jackal27

Banned
Well they did for WiiU before they were figuratively slain by fanboys here and almost everywhere before they had to back peddle.

Wasn't there only like one dude that said something? I'm sure that there are way more developers upset about the WiiU's capabilities, but we don't hear them rallying mobs in the street because they still have to sell their games on the darn thing.

Mxrz

With Achievements! and in 1080p HD, the Blacks will be Glorious

10G Blip
You Blipped!

10G Bloop
You Blooped

100G Old School
You Bought it... HAHA!

Most of us would buy this anyway.

I just love how people here on GAF just automatically assumed that WiiU will get trounced by MS and Sony's new systems. Given Sony's precarious financial condition, I can't see them building another monster console and it's entirely plausible that the PS4 will use a similar CPU to the WiiU and Durango.

You don't need to break the bank to release a console with decently up to date tech. Applying 1.6 = Similar CPU!!! is bit of reach even if true (
Its not.
) This overarching need to attach the WiiU to the Orbis/Durango by any means is getting more weird than irrelevant.

I know, I'm just saying that people can't say "Marcan is lying and he doesn't know anything" and then 100% believe the Wii U rumors.

Who is saying that?

Shouldn't you start knocking some of these strawmen down before you start putting more back up?

GraveRobberX

To me that statement sounds believable, a cautious believable

WiiU info at least he has the system and is fiddling with it, this is told by someone to him about a system which will go through changes, nothing is locked down

Durango is obviously shit hardware, and the industry is going backwards in shaderflops. Soon everything will look like Pong. :(

U2NUMB

Come on now we learned this info about the Wii U AFTER it was released. The next Xbox has not even been announced yet.

big_z

Getting sad over low clock speeds is dumb. There's so many factors that can affect performance that unless bench test you can't really make any claims.

People thinking 729/ps4 are going to be today's high end pc in a console box are going to be disappointed. You won't see that much power next gen. That sad there's been so much progress in tech that the improvements will still be massive. Pc games have been held back due to the console shift and long cycle. There's a ton of untapped power to be unleashed.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think the rumors about a Kinect being packed with the next Xbox paint a much grimmer picture than a 1.6GHz CPU clock speed. Kinects aren't free and if true that's money that's not being spent on horsepower. But I really doubt that MS would tie their next gen sails to that ship.

You could write the same thing about the Gamepad and the Wii U.

I'm assuming this thread deliberately leaves out the other rumors about it being 8 multithreaded cores.

A few people have mentioned it. I didn't put it in OP because it had no relevance to the news I was posting. This isn't the next Durango mega thread, it was simply a post on heresay by a pretty trustworthy source.

Is there a place on the internet where I can learn about the various components that make up these machines? I'll admit my ignorance: I don't even know the difference between GPU and CPU and bits and stuff. I've never bothered to learn about it until now, and the internet's answers are a little complex in its terminology. Any cool, informative sites that explains this information?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Pardon me for not knowing all this tech this. I was never good at it. The reason I asked for all this is one: if xbox 720 by this rumors means will not be as powerful as it was meant to be, I wonder if this is a strategy for the hard worldwide economical situation.. Of course everything will be reveal soon enough. Do we know if ms will reveal nextbox this e3 or on a previous event?

To be fair, this says nothing about the power of the console.

as for the official announcement, most likley just before e3 2013.

Gorillaz

Is there a place on the internet where I can learn about the various components that make up these machines? I'll admit my ignorance: I don't even know the difference between GPU and CPU and bits and stuff. I've never bothered to learn about it until now, and the internet's answers are a little complex in its terminology. Any cool, informative sites that explains this information?
All you need to know is what does this mean in dragonball z measurements/power

Top Bottom