• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

People love to play up "GPGPU" but the fact is the Wii U just doesn't have much GPU muscle to dedicate to non-graphics work. It's already driving both the TV and the pad.

Actually, doing both images doesn't take up that much resources in most games as it's a mirror of the output to the TV, and it's simple copy of the frame buffer. It comes down to what you are doing.

Hiltz

*sigh* The start of a console war is always the worst part.

People need to stop caring so much about the technical innards of consoles. Having more beefy hardware power is understandably desirable and important, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't live up to one's expectations. Besides, game design has always trumped technology. Build it and the good games will come. As far as Nintendo home consoles go, people should realize the potential risks involved in buying one, especially if it's your primary platform. I'm not concerned about the next Xbox's hardware power and I doubt Microsoft is as well.

x3sphere

What if the CPU is an 8 core part? 1.6GHz is still impressive then...

Even if it's not... 1.6Ghz may be the low power frequency, all recent Intel CPU clock up to higher speeds under load.

jackal27

Banned
*sigh* The start of a console war is always the worst part.

People need to stop caring so much about the technical innards of consoles. Having more beefy hardware power is understandably desirable and important, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't live up to one's expectations. Besides, game design has always trumped technology. Build it and the good games will come.

YUP. Each console is going to have awesome games no matter what you guys... Unless Microsoft's Nextbox controller is just a Kinect.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Heh @ Title change

Mod doing spray paint jobs ala nWo

Must be the Red & Black Wolfpack =D

Ouch. Regardless of advances in CPU power... that doesn't sound good. I mean, for PC's at least 3GHZ is the norm right?

Eh, raw ghz is nothing. Xenon and Cell have a lot of inefficiencies
Speed of the bus, bus-size, in-order vs out of order, and the pipeline all matter.
A 2 Ghz Core i3 beats the 3 core Xenon processor and the 3.2 Ghz PPU + 7 much lower clocked SPUs of the PS3.

Vagabundo

So a four core with four hardware threads per core running at 1.6. The good news is that my current i5 will easily handle the multiplats.

Alex

The Gearbox crew said the same or something similar but it isn't by any means the same thing as "horrible, slow, etc" like that THQ guy claimed
how is it possible some developers praise Wii U's architecture but some don't do anything but whine about it? incompetence if you ask me...

Because it's likely lipservice, as for a lot of these developers it's better to keep a positive image and not burn any bridges? Vigil is one of the early studios who praised it, fans rallied behind that using it as ammo and then Darksiders 2 port came out with framerate problems and hitching. The dude at 4A likely just didn't give a fuck about any PR tussles.

There's also an argument of metrics that could be had here, especially for guys trying to shove really advanced kit onto weak consoles as is, then presented with a 2012 box that's very possibly outright lesser than the 2005 one in already stressed to the metal areas. That could spur some reaction in a guy with a job like that for sure. But yeah, that couldn't be it, it has to be that the guys working on fucking Metro Last Light are inept, thanks for setting us straight, Mario avatar dude.

Orayn

Because it's likely lipservice, as for a lot of these developers it's better to keep a positive PR image and not burn any bridges? Vigil is one of the early studios who praised it, fans rallied behind that using it as ammo and then Darksiders 2 port came out with framerate problems and hitching.

But yeah, that couldn't be it, it has to be that the guys fucking working on Metro Last Light are inept, thanks for setting us straight dude with a Mario avatar.

Insisting that the most negative remarks have to be the true one and the positive ones are lipservice is no more reasonable than only believing the most positive and insisting that the others just hate Nintendo. Maybe we could, y'know, look at the consensus? Or wait?

Cripes, people are just getting so cantankerous. All people.

Speed of the bus, bus-size, in-order vs out of order, and the pipeline all matter.
A 2 Ghz Core i3 beats the 3 core Xenon processor and the 3.2 Ghz PPU + 7 much lower clocked SPUs of the PS3.

But if anyone in this day and age was going to buy a gaming PC, even a mid range one, they would be aiming for something better than a 2 Ghz i3. I would definitely be disappointed if this is what Microsoft is aiming for!

Instro

But if anyone in this day and age was going to buy a gaming PC, even a mid range one, they would be aiming for something better than a 2 Ghz i3. I would definitely be disappointed if this is what Microsoft is aiming for!

What does the PC have to do with consoles?

Insisting that the most negative remarks have to be the true one and the positive ones are lipservice is no more reasonable than only believing the most positive and insisting that the others just hate Nintendo. Maybe we could, y'know, look at the consensus? Or wait?

Cripes, people are just getting so cantankerous. All people.

The thing is, what we've seen so far from the performance of games on Wii U lends more credence to the devs with "negative remarks" as opposed to the other side...

Orayn

The thing is, what we've seen so far from the performance of games on Wii U lends more credence to the devs with "negative remarks" as opposed to the other side...

And that's fine, I agree with that! The CPU is a bottleneck. We just don't need to take the worst thing anyone's said as the gospel truth while ignoring everything else.

DonMigs85

Actually the SPEs are also clocked at 3.2GHz, and they're made for insane floating point calculations.

deviljho

3 cores.

It also has a dual core arm co-processor for the os.

5 cores for nintendo? oh my...

mendespentacle.jpg

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Someone really needs to do a DBZ chart

I don't watch DBZ, I know a little about it, most of you guys that post DBZ stuff is so foriegn to me

Only thing I know is that Over 9000 meme

flippedb

Banned
This Durango rumour seems plausible. Maybe it'll have a similar architecture to Nintendo's console, in which reducing Latency is a priority, and most of the work goes to the GPU.
1 billion software threads per clock. ;)

In Duct-taped Gamecubes terms, please.

EDIT: I don't think it'll have just one thread per core, the Wii U I mean.

Vagabundo

EDIT: I don't think it'll have just one thread per core, the Wii U I mean.

Really? Why not?

Most leaks have confirmed this: 1 hardware thread per core, of course you could generate as many software threads as you like*.

*well there is probably an upper limit.

It''s not going to be IVB. Aren't AMD's Jaguar or Steamroller the only candidates at this point?

Jaguar cores are the ones usually thrown around. I don't know why people keep referencing Intel chips in this thread though, specially the high end Intel chips. Since Jaguar is from AMD, and is not a high end chip. If it is Jaguar based, it won't be multiple threads per core, since I'm pretty sure Jaguar is 1 core 1 thread.

Triple U

Banned
I have no reason to believe this guy. He may be right but still. About 95% of the shit you hear from people claiming to have inside sources is bullshit.

Huff

Banned
All the dbz talk is so over used. Any original humor in that joke has died. It's like seriously trying to tell a funny yo momma joke

DonMigs85

All the dbz talk is so over used. Any original humor in that joke has died. It's like seriously trying to tell a funny yo momma joke

Ok then, Wii U's CPU is like Angemon and Durango's is like MagnaAngemon
Or maybe Wii U CPU should be Patamon...

Top Bottom