• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just love how people here on GAF just automatically assumed that WiiU will get trounced by MS and Sony's new systems. Given Sony's precarious financial condition, I can't see them building another monster console and it's entirely plausible that the PS4 will use a similar CPU to the WiiU and Durango.

braves01

Banned
first image of xbox 720:

potato%20clock.jpg

Godslay

Banned
I just love how people here on GAF just automatically assumed that WiiU will get trounced by MS and Sony's new systems. Given Sony's precarious financial condition, I can't see them building another monster console and it's entirely plausible that the PS4 will use a similar CPU to the WiiU and Durango.

Lower clock speed doesn't rule out anything one way or another. Going to have to look at the whole picture before we can rule out a monster console.

DonMigs85

I think the rumored switch of architectures pretty much put that down as unlikely from the start unless Microsoft plans on buying OnLive.

It should be relatively easy for MS due to the 360's strict adherence to their APIs.
Plus the relatively simple architecture of Xenon shouldn't be that hard to emulate on x86.

piteru

Banned
Well the first six months of the new year are going to be interesting. Gdc as a poster proposed is on .. March?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think the rumors about a Kinect being packed with the next Xbox paint a much grimmer picture than a 1.6GHz CPU clock speed. Kinects aren't free and if true that's money that's not being spent on horsepower. But I really doubt that MS would tie their next gen sails to that ship.

Maybe their next CPU will support sleep instructions so you can sleep your console/game and jump right back in whenever you get around to it.

Log4Girlz

Judging by history, which of the major three console manufacturers have released a console designed to be dramatically less powerful than its competition?

Mastperf

It's unlikely that the WiiU and Durango cpu will be that similar.

People also tend to forget about how Microsoft has embraced the casuals recently. Remember those last two, profoundly disappointing E3s all focused on the casuals? Remember how Microsoft has shutdown FASA, Ensemble Studios, and Aces Studio in the past few years, and effectively shutdown Rare and Lionhead?

Mastperf

It should be relatively easy for MS due to the 360's strict adherence to their APIs.
Plus the relatively simple architecture of Xenon shouldn't be that hard to emulate on x86.
It's highly likely imo that Live Arcade titles at least will be fully supported.

RM8

It's still going to be considerably stronger than a 360, right? Then what's the issue here? I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

Valnen

If the Wii U and 720 are so similar it would be in Sony's best interests to do something that makes them stand out. If they can push the visuals without breaking the bank, that could be just what they need to get people to their console over the 720. And from the sounds of things they could probably make a console significantly more powerful than the Wii U or Durango without putting out another $600 behemoth.

Strict adherence to APIs would make the game very easy to port, not necessarily easy to emulate. That said, if the Xenon isn't very expensive at this rate, I could see them selling a "premium" console with BC being one of the hooks.

oh gawd.

no forget it I'm going to bed.

It's still going to be considerably stronger than a 360, right? Then what's the issue here? I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

The issue is that there are a bunch of people still desperately clinging to whatever shred of info they can find to show that the Wii U won't be grossly underpowered compared to Durango/Orbis.

TheD

The Detective

They are not going to go backwards on power.

The Xenon and Cell are slow clock for clock, modern x86 processors from Intel and AMD should be able to keep up even at a lower clock speed (and we have no idea how many cores each console will have).

Valnen

They are not going to go backwards on power.

The Xenon and Cell are slow clock for clock, modern x86 processors from Intel and AMD should be able to keep up even at a lower clock speed (and we have no idea how many cores each console will have).

We don't want them to keep up though, we want them to be more powerful by a massive margin. 1080p on all games or bust.

Uh, no, aside from any C# XNA stuff, it's gonna be difficult to bring it over to an x86 architecture that's not clocked significantly higher. Adhering to an api doesn't really help with anything once the program gets compiled down to a binary executable. It's why non-RT programs don't work on WindowsRT. You have to use compile into the RT intermediary format. You can't actually do native applications.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think all 3 are going to differ from each other in these departments rather than hardware

MS - XBL Full Content Provider Services + Kinect + Games (3-5 Franchise Titles) + 3rd Party Full Force

Sony - PS+ Service + Cloud? (Gaikai) + Move? + Games (Fuck-Ton of Franchises) + 3rd Party Helping

Ninty - Games (Truckload of 1st party Franchises) + WiiU Pad + Backwards Compatability with Wii catalog + 3rd Party Super Help

jackal27

Banned
People also tend to forget about how Microsoft has embraced the casuals recently. Remember those last two, profoundly disappointing E3s all focused on the casuals? Remember how Microsoft has shutdown FASA, Ensemble Studios, and Aces Studio in the past few years, and effectively shutdown Rare and Lionhead?

Oh God... You know, I never would give that theory much weight, but now that you mention it... Please no.

Diablos54

The issue is that there are a bunch of people still desperately clinging to whatever shred of info they can find to show that the Wii U won't be grossly underpowered compared to Durango/Orbis.
TBH, I didn't see any of that in here. More people bitching about how the OP's trying to make MS looks bad the Wii U CPU look better, which was laughable.

Fredrik

So?

I've been having a blast with WiiU this weekend after the EU launch and WiiU supposedly has a CPU running at 1.2 GHz.

If the clock speed meant what you might think it means everything would look and run like crap on WiiU. Nope. A few games and features has even made me go wow, which I never thought they would, and we're only seeing launch software and quick and lazy third party ps3/360 ports so far.

Thing is, CPU clock speed is not all that matters, the number of cores, in order or out of order architecture, the memory, the GPU, etc, plus optimization. Everything matters.

So, I wouldn't worry much about the X720's CPU either. Knowing MS you all know the console is gonna be a beast. Stop worry so much.

abadguy

Banned

Remember in the last couple of years MS opened five first party studios( one of which is working on an FPS supposedly using UE4), hired talent from cryteck, Irrational and Naughty Dog, and aquired Twisted Pixel?

TheD

The Detective
We don't want them to keep up though, we want them to be more powerful by a massive margin. 1080p on all games or bust.

I was meaning that they keep up per a core at a lower clock speed, who knows how many cores the next box and PS4 will have.

P.S Res has nothing to do with CPU speed.

Fivefold

Banned
There are 3 types of posters in this thread currently.

1: People who are just joking/poking fun at the rumor or next gen systems in general.

2: People who look only at the number "1.6 ghz" and know little or nothing about CPUs and take it to mean that the rumor is either BS or the next-box is doomed (to the amusement of people in the #1 group)

3: People who know it's just a rumor and are speculating what it could mean if it's true and whether or not it would even matter since we don't know any other "hard" specs like architecture or core count.

4. People that know this is absolute bullshit and if it's ever close to truth it's pure coincidence.

This guy is a random nerd that managed to crack the Wii before dozens of others that were trying, he has absolutely no "inside information" on the Durango.

Marcan's making a very important point about Cell and Xenon and also the Wii U processor.

The Pentium D line was the first set of Pentium dual-core processors. They had a problem. The cores had the same sanity issue of the P4 series. They got hot, and they were rather inefficient. To improve performance, Intel's team in Israel went to the Pentium III series and started building cores from that processor line. They managed to get better performance at lower clocks and lower power draw than the Pentium D line and became the basis for all of Intel's future multi-core processors.

In the case of the Wii U, Nintendo went to IBM and had them draw up an efficient processor that could be backwards compatible with the Wii processor. So, IBM created a custom SMP with three 750xx processors with a large cache and large amount of eDRAM. Because IBM could use its experiences and its competitors experiences in developing multi-core processors over the past 7 years, they were able to design a multi-core processor that could do much more clock for clock. It also helps that the CPU doesn't have to deal with any audio issues.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
http://nerdnirvana.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/whats-going-on.gif[IMG]

I can't tell whose trolling or being genuine anymore.[/QUOTE]

Hotlinking, Seriously @_@!

Also who uses that of a bright orange, my eyes had to adjust to that Blazing Orange

Those leaked documents that came out a while ago pointed towards a box that included 2 CPUs, one for games and one for Cable box functions, I wouldn't be surprised if the cable box CPU was clocked at 1.6, you wouldn't need much more for those type of functions.

TBH, I didn't see any of that in here. More people bitching about how the OP's trying to make MS looks bad the Wii U CPU look better, which was laughable.

To be fair, I'm a self professed Nintendo lover... but I'm hardly a Nintendo apologetic. I've stated clearly that I buy nintendo hardware for Nintendo games, so what they use matters little to me compared to how they use it. Third party games I get on PC anyways, so the specs of Durango or Orbis don't especially worry me.

I don't have a hard time compartmentalizing my love of Nintendo products, but a lot of others seem to have a hard time doing the same. When asked I even made it quite clear that Marcan's information on CPU speed tells us absolutely nothing. I didn't post that part in the OP because my opinions shouldn't be in a post about news (even if the news is a rumor). That said, I'm free to discuss my opinion on it after the initial post ^_^

I fully expect that Durango CPU will gobble up the Wii U's for breakfast, the Wii U CPU is a confirmed 2002 design shoehorned into a tri-core configuration. The durango will be a more modern arch and likely have many more cores even if it's frequency isn't as high as the Wii U.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think MS benefited from the overall lack of 3rd party exclusives this gen, which gave them some leg room to use first party developers to fill in gaps in the 360's library. The core still butters their bread, and they would be unwise to completely abandon it to chase a more fickle market.

If anything, they'll use the OG 360 to target the casuals and court the enthusiasts with the new box until the price comes down and everyone can jump in.

Meelow

Banned
4. People that know this is absolute bullshit and if it's ever close to truth it's pure coincidence.

This guy is a random nerd that managed to crack the Wii before dozens of others that were trying, he has absolutely no "inside information" on the Durango.

Well if this is fake, the Wii U Cell info from Marcan is also fake.

People can't believe that the Wii U info is true and then go and call him out on the 720 rumor.

It's either both are true or both are false, we can't have double standards.

I fully expect that Durango CPU will gobble up the Wii U's for breakfast, the Wii U CPU is a confirmed 2002 design shoehorned into a tri-core configuration. The durango will be a more modern arch and likely have many more cores even if it's frequency isn't as high as the Wii U.

This is actually not an issue. The core series is the Pentium III line shoehorned into a multi-core configuration with a wider address space. The advantage of using older processors is they often don't have sanity issues due to coming from processor lines that added extensions that improved the performance of single core processors but slow the pipeline of a multi-core processor.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
good, maybe this means the new microsoft xbox won't double as a space heater.

DonMigs85

This is actually not an issue. The core series is the Pentium III line shoehorned into a multi-core configuration with a wider address space.

Of course they added new instructions and stuff over time to help too, like SSE3 onwards.
Also, the Wii U CPU has its roots in 1999 tech - even the IBM G4 had already been out then.
And I believe a 1.25 GHz G4 is about as powerful as a 2GHz Pentium IV Netburst.

Top Bottom