• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Some People Hate TLOU2?

Neolombax

Did not like the direction of the story and how certain characters were handled. I don't hate the game, I just don't like it and am more inclined to pretend it does not exist. That is how dear TLOU1 is to me. I felt certain decisions for characters in TLOU2 were done out of pure shock value, and I did not like that at all.

bbeach123

I dont like any of the characters , and that make me doesnt care for any of them (except Joel ) .

Dont like abby , so no feel for her . But I feel the Dev trying so hard to make me feel for her . That backfired , now I hate the Dev too .

The ending is weird , I just want to kill Abby and be done with it . BUt no , after killing hundreds of people Ellie be like . Nah revenge is bad , lets go home .

Good gameplay/ combat though .

When Anita sarkeesian first came out with that YouTube series one of the things that bothered me the most is her accusations we're completely baseless [...]

To my amazement The Gaming Community has basically proceeded to argue her argument simply towards different demographics [...]
Doesn't it make sense they took her example? She was pretty successful, and arguing against her would only be met with accusations of sexism, regardless of the merit of the argument. That would be like holding a peaceful protest with cardboard signs, while the enemy is mobilizing tanks and missile launchers; You're not gonna be able to compete. It is the world political activists have created, and it's why people feel the need to defend their positions using the same tactics.

I've talked about the game at length already, but to keep things short: I just don't think the story is good. The writing is pretty terrible, and so is the pacing. Its gameplay has hardly evolved since the previous title, which is disappointing to say the least. The production values are great, as usual from ND, but a coat of paint can't hide the shoddy foundation of this game. I don't hate the game, but I just don't want it to do well or be considered a good game because, IMO, it would take the industry in the wrong direction. Those are my honest feelings.

Radrigal

I wouldn't say I hate the game, but there are a couple of things that deflate it for me.

The INSANE coincidence of Joel and and Tommy coming upon Abby and subsequently into their whole gang was just lazy. I would rather he was kidnapped or tricked into getting caught but no, it was like 'sup I'm the one you're all looking for, crazy right?'

I really dislike Abby as a playable character. As a villain? Heck yeah. Appropriate enough motivation that's believable in the context of the story. But I don't care about playing as her. I really don't care about her sob story in a world full of them, especially since I am already invested in Joel and Ellie's story since the first game. If they wanted another character to be the focus, then make the game about those characters instead of this stupid bait and switch.

Hate the trope of killing all the mooks trying to get to the big bad, even killing somebody pregnant only to stop in front of the goal and saying "I'm not gonna kill you" like bitch you killed everybody to get here.

Oh and the ridiculous lapse of in-universe logic regarding that stupid bank with the stupid vault with infected inside. Really? Twenty-fucking-five years later and these infected are still just normal? Shouldn't they all be bloaters at that point? Naw you see its a cool set piece bruh

Last edited:

Karppuuna

Becouse they are insecure shit head, that's why, and they also think that gaming isnt mature media like movies and tv.
Those fuckers think that they own gaming media and if somebody make even little wrong game, thos fuckers attack.

We have a long way to go, if gaming is going to be like movies and shows, first we need to ditch those fuckin fanboys!

Stooky

I wouldn't say I hate the game, but there are a couple of things that deflate it for me.

The INSANE coincidence of Joel and and Tommy coming upon Abby and subsequently into their whole gang was just lazy. I would rather he was kidnapped or tricked into getting caught but ino, it was like 'sup I'm the one you're all looking for, crazy right?'

I really dislike Abby as a playable character. As a villain? Heck yeah. Appropriate enough motivation that's believable in the context of the story. But I don't care about playing as her. I really don't care about her sob story in a world full of them, especially since I am already invested in Joel and Ellie's story since the first game. If they wanted another character to be the focus, then make the game about those characters instead of this stupid bait and switch.

Hate the trope of killing all the mooks trying to get to the big bad, even killing somebody pregnant only to stop in front of the goal and saying "I'm not gonna kill you" like bitch you killed everybody to get here.

Oh and the ridiculous lapse of in-universe logic regarding that stupid bank with the stupid vault with infected inside. Really? Twenty-fucking-five years later and these infected are still just normal? Shouldn't they all be bloaters at that point? Naw you see its a cool set piece bruh

I disagree, not an insane coincidence of running into Joel because Abby and Gang were in the area tracking them. Its like you bumping into a friend at a local bar you both frequent. But I don’t know may be that’s an insane coincidence to you.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Anybody that played the game (and it has the best completion rate of any game in PlayStation 4) can see:

• The revenge cycle theme is fantastic.
  • The story is deep and keep you engaged to know what it will happen next.
  • Characters are great with it own complications with amazing development (I can't find one to be bad).
  • The gameplay is again flawless... it is perfection.
  • The enemy variety is now way better.
  • The weapons and craft items are way better than original.
  • The world and environment are fantastic.
  • Side activities are great.
  • It humanizes all sides... it is impactful and emotionally driven.

The game is everything a sequel should be.
It is a must to play even if you get down due violence.

So I really can't understand the hate some GAFers has with one of the best games ever created.

PS. I really can't even understand the political controversy... I really can't see politics in the game... maybe because I'm not American? I don't know.

Edit - Making this thread just me miss even more Factions MP... I blamed ND for that and I will continue doing that because that decision was utter shit.
You don't understand anything outside of love for all things Sony.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Honestly can't say I hate something I never played.

I'm just not into the whole "zombie apocalypse but actually it's a human drama" genre or just the zombie genre in general unless it's space zombies like Dead Space, but that's more like The Thing.

Abby grosses me out too ngl. I'm sure I'll get shit for saying this but oh well.

Tefl0n

Bad writing in a story driven game. Imagine if Baby Yoda was killed off and replaced by something far less interesting, supporting fan base would flip too. 7.5/10 for me (very good, not great).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It just comes across as a bit pretentous to me.

It's probably a fine game. But it's just that air of "VISIONARY MASTERPICE" that irks me. I feel the same about some films.

Its not a visionary masterpiece at all, but it is an interesting and, honestly, pretty ballsy sequel.

Its probably the best "talking point" game of the gen because if you bother to unpack what's going on, its actually a very interesting story to discuss. Trouble is its hard to get past people who just cry "bad writing" rather than simply admitting that its not the quality that they are struggling with, its the content.

Its the videogame Susan Sarandon, in that it'd rather keep it real than be likeable! (Bonus points if you know where I lifted this metaphor from)

I kinda wish more people would talk about it as a game. Because mechanically its far and away the best thing ND have ever done.

oagboghi2

Becouse they are insecure shit head, that's why, and they also think that gaming isnt mature media like movies and tv.
Those fuckers think that they own gaming media and if somebody make even little wrong game, thos fuckers attack.

We have a long way to go, if gaming is going to be like movies and shows, first we need to ditch those fuckin fanboys!
🤣 TLOU2 fans are the fucking worst.

"We have to eliminate those who don't like our favorite videogame. This is serious buisness."

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
That is interesting...
Spoilers of course.

But Joel chanced... and that is one of the things you will realized pretty fast... Joel is not that helpless, depressive without reason to live like in the first game... he recovered part of what he lost and now he is again more like the father he was with fear, afraid, etc... he is now a human again... he is not that all in machine due the extreme circumstances he was in the first game... and that is something I really appreciate.

IMO the game nailed again his characterization.

He got killed by the chick he saved literally 5 minutes after doing so. That's disrespectful to the character, because the plot was sped up to give us the Abby vs. Ellie stuff nobody even knew about (due to marketing) and didn't care about once they got the game. You'd have to turn your brain off and take the narration as gospel to not notice that Abby gives no fucks about killing Joel right after he saved her. The plot just shrugs it all off, but it's a crucial point where they meet. Abby and crew should've grown closer to Joel and company, then you can have that payoff where you understand who she is and a betrayal occurs. Instead, she's portrayed like a sociopath for a large portion of the game.

Writing like that is all around this game, such as the writing aiming to paint everyone as "grey" rather than good vs. evil, yet Abby sticks out like a sore thumb for being a piece of shit and a scumbag human being. Rapes drunk Owen/fucks best friend's (Mel's) man while he is drunk and literally states she doesn't care when she wakes up/Kills man (Joel) right after he saves her/Aimed to kill pregnant Dina before Lev stopped her vs. being kind to Lev lol Abby is written like a god-tier villain, while most find Lev has a more compelling character arc. Ellie's character had to be downgraded to bits and it drags the game down, because it wants to make everything so depressing without the actual feeling being there. The writing is absolute garbage in this game from nearly the beginning till the end.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The writing is absolute garbage in this game from nearly the beginning till the end.

No its not.

What it isn't is the usual fan-service pabulum that people have gotten far too used to.

The reason they shrug it off is because as an operation the whole thing (killing Joel) goes off almost flawlessly. In and out with zero casualties and no collateral damage. I say almost because Ellie's arrival prevents Abby from interrogating Joel harder and for longer, understandable given she's spent the last 5 years training and obsessively planning to kill the bastard who murdered her father for reasons unknown. Anyone would have questions.

From her perspective Joel is just some scumbag smuggler, she doesn't know him beyond his name which is why she's kinda dumbstruck when she encounters him and Tommy in the blizzard. Following which an opportunity presents itself to lure him into an ambush...

But sadly you seem unable to see any perspective but your own, which as a non-diegetic observer is a vantage point literally noone in the fictional world could possibly have short of having some sort of crystal ball!

Seriously, stop with the "bad writing" argument. Its got as much legitimacy as the hoary old "lazy coding" argument; All it serves to show is your ignorance of the thing you presume to critique.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I love it and hate it at the same time and let me tell you why other than different tastes. People have been waiting years to continue the journey of a father who lost his child during the outbreak and found a little girl who reminded him of his daughter and we the fans loved the new relationship. It just started and it had potential to be one the best relationship in games but with the directing and writing they literally ruin the experience. It’s like they put all of that by force just to show something they wanted without looking at the foundation they built for fans. I don’t hate the game because the death of Joel ( eventually he or she will die ) but the way they did it!, the writing the decision that been made was a disaster for a game who started like the fastest horse in a race but they just cut the horse’s legs and said “ now or later this horse will die so we just cut his legs and speed up the process “.

That’s my conclusion.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
The reason its like beating a dead horse is because most people's rationale for hating the game boils down to the game not being the Joel-centric fan service story they wanted, and/or because its writer director is a member of the political tribe they are opposed to.

Its really that simple, especially as neither of those things should be considered as faults.

Sorry, but from where I stand if you're the sort of "fan" who believes their affection for a property should act as an ironclad creative strait-jacket preventing its author from going wherever their muse/instinct takes them, you're not really a fan at all.

Similarly if we are to start shitting on works just because their creator holds political beliefs we do not share, then why not join Resetera? That's been their MO from day#1.

Bold is a lie, but you bring up something that doesn't help your point. The game sells itself as an Ellie and Joel-based game in a majority of its scenes and trailers up until you play and realize, "wait.... I got baited". It's not hard to see why some don't like it from that viewpoint. They even replaced Joel with that asian dude in one scene and got caught, so they advertised a game one way and did something else.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
No its not.

What it isn't is the usual fan-service pabulum that people have gotten far too used to.

The reason they shrug it off is because as an operation the whole thing (killing Joel) goes off almost flawlessly. In and out with zero casualties and no collateral damage. I say almost because Ellie's arrival prevents Abby from interrogating Joel harder and for longer, understandable given she's spent the last 5 years training and obsessively planning to kill the bastard who murdered her father for reasons unknown. Anyone would have questions.

From her perspective Joel is just some scumbag smuggler, she doesn't know him beyond his name which is why she's kinda dumbstruck when she encounters him and Tommy in the blizzard. Following which an opportunity presents itself to lure him into an ambush...

But sadly you seem unable to see any perspective but your own, which as a non-diegetic observer is a vantage point literally noone in the fictional world could possibly have short of having some sort of crystal ball!

Seriously, stop with the "bad writing" argument. Its got as much legitimacy as the hoary old "lazy coding" argument; All it serves to show is your ignorance of the thing you presume to critique.

LMAO I just read this post after responding to your other one. Imagine saying I am unable to see any perspective, but my own, yet you've boiled everyone's opinion down to two things when there are many reasons given in this thread. The writing is trash, and you're making things up to justify shit writing.

Abby wants to interrogate Joel by beating him to near death and not asking anything BEFORE Ellie even shows up? What sense does that make. Abby gets saved by Joel and doesn't think, "maybe this guy isn't so bad after all?", before she tortures him, yet leaves Ellie alive after she slices one person's face open? None of that makes sense. "She doesn't know him beyond his name" <--- She knows that he just saved her fucking ass five minutes before. You write all that like she planned on being ambushed by the horde to lure him out or something. She comes off like a scumbag and a piece of shit that is supposed to be relatable or humanistic the entire game, but isn't. Joel is written and portrayed like he was suddenly a scumbag piece of shit the majority of this game, yet is humanistic and relatable. It's why Abby stinks beyond the crappy physical character design, while many are upset with how Joel's treated. Most guessed he was going to die before the sequel got a release date.

Here's a video debunking bold:

PewDiePie Reaction To Joel's Death.. (FULL VIDEO) The Last Of Us 2 - YouTube

Keep writing fanfics that never happened.

Bc they r soft.

It would be a much better game on PS5. You can tell where the loading screens are. You start slow jogging. Still crazy amazing it runs on a PS5.

EDMIX

He got killed by the chick he saved literally 5 minutes after doing so. That's disrespectful to the character,

And? Her goal was to kill him, she has no ode to ignore that simply because he saved her, if anything it shows just how serious it is that even that act couldn't stop her from killing him.

So sure, its disrespectful because its suppose to be. Why the fuck would it be "respectful"? Abby has no ode to be "respectful" to such a person, just the opposite.

nobody even knew about (due to marketing)

You are not suppose to know that prior as the point is to surprise the user. Why the fuck would they spoil the plot?

Abby gives no fucks about killing Joel right after he saved her.

Good. She's not suppose to.... Joel saving her doesn't make them even or something lol Thats not enough for her to stop, shit that wouldn't be enough for me. I'd still kill him if not WORSE then what she did.

Abby and crew should've grown closer to Joel and company,

Nope. They have no fucking reason to. She is there to kill him and go. Thus....she kills him and goes.

then you can have that payoff where you understand who she is and a betrayal occurs.

Nah, none of that bud. The way it was done was damn near perfect. They leave you in the dark as to allow you to have her..

portrayed like a sociopath for a large portion of the game.

She must be seen as that as it needs to be from ELLIE'S PERSPECTIVE! This is done to allow the player to question the mystery of why this person did this and to allow your hate and anger to grow.

I fucking LOVED IT! I was pissed off, wanted her dead and by the time I got to her part and actually saw WHY, i was conflicted. I spent a lot of the game really hating her and wanting her dead, but I want her dead based on only 1 fucking thing I know about her..... thats kinda the point. They WANT the player to feel that. So how the fuck could you know this information when the game starts? It starts from Ellie's perspective and it makes sense to leave it like that for the first half to allow you to feel what she feels.

Can't really do that if you already know WHY Abby is there from the jump. They want you as confused and angry as Ellie.

Writing like that is all around this game, such as the writing aiming to paint everyone as "grey" rather than good vs. evil, yet Abby sticks out like a sore thumb for being a piece of shit and a scumbag human being.

Thats the point. What the characters do is debatable to many in terms of good or evil, ie Joel at the very ending of The Last Of Us 1. That has been debated by my friends and I for years as I was in the camp of I believe he did far more harm then good, my friends supported him and saw his perspective.

It isn't a fucking good vs evil concept, its a gray area, the series has always been that. You decided to also ignore Abby saving Lev's life, Abby saving many lives part of WLF, her relationship with Owen etc. From their perspective, they are the "good guys".

So you could argue the same fucking shit about Joel btw and say shit like " for being a piece of shit and a scumbag human being.", never mind Abby killing Joel, Joel basically set back hundreds of thousnads of lives by the vaccine slowing down development. If it happened or not is debatable, but he set it back regardless. You still see Joel singing, laughing and being a kind person, doesn't mean he has not killed many innocent folks.

So sorry man, you only want to focus on shit that fits a narrative, you conveniently ignored everything else they showed about Abby.

The characters are made to show you most times in life, a good vs evil concept doesn't exist as much as we want it to. Many people seek revenge that otherwise are normally good hearted people and we only see the darkest side of them when they do 1 thing bad. So you a seem to be fixed on only talking about negative things about Abby when even the people who don't like the game admitted the game does show you a different side of Abby (though they state the game tries to FORCE you to like her, besides the point) its the fact that such things exist in the game, so its simply false that she is only some monster killer type character.

For better or worse, factually you see many sides of this character just like you see Joel, Ellie etc. We can debate if we liked it or good vs bad all day, but for fucks sake don't go around out right lying about factual things that can be found in the game.

Debate if you like the side of her shown, no reason to out right debate if such a side was shown at all as its just a lie that anyone can easily disprove.

Lastly, the writing was done just fine. You are asking for the mystery to be taken out of a game where a large part of it was made to be a mystery.

It would be like saying the writing in Matlock is bad as you should have hte show marketed showing you the bad guy and we should all know the fucking bad guy and why he is the murder within 5 minutes of an episode.

That doesn't sound like you have a thing against bad writing sir, that sounds like you need not play games about mysteries if you don't like mysteries.

Velius

Banned
It's nothing but dialogue from a bunch of Michael Bay movies spliced together. All ND games are like that, I don't dislike TLOU2 any more than their standard effort

finowns

I don’t hate TLOU2 it’s just a badly put together game. It could have been good and that is the annoying part.

And it was way over the top angsty. Can we just kill Abby already we’ve murdered 5,000 people and now we get philosophical and introspective on this roid rage jerk?! C’mon!

Last edited:

GenericUser

I don't "hate" it, I just find it to be cringy as fuck. As if all the shoehorned SJW crap is not enough, the gameplay also kept stuck in 2013. A presentable story and good graphics are simply not nearly enough to make up for all the other shit they put in the game. Druckman is incompetent and spends way too much time thinking about politics and not nearly enough time making the game unique and fun to play.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He got killed by the chick he saved literally 5 minutes after doing so. That's disrespectful to the character, because the plot was sped up to give us the Abby vs. Ellie stuff nobody even knew about (due to marketing) and didn't care about once they got the game. You'd have to turn your brain off and take the narration as gospel to not notice that Abby gives no fucks about killing Joel right after he saved her. The plot just shrugs it all off, but it's a crucial point where they meet. Abby and crew should've grown closer to Joel and company, then you can have that payoff where you understand who she is and a betrayal occurs. Instead, she's portrayed like a sociopath for a large portion of the game.

Writing like that is all around this game, such as the writing aiming to paint everyone as "grey" rather than good vs. evil, yet Abby sticks out like a sore thumb for being a piece of shit and a scumbag human being. Rapes drunk Owen/fucks best friend's (Mel's) man while he is drunk and literally states she doesn't care when she wakes up/Kills man (Joel) right after he saves her/Aimed to kill pregnant Dina before Lev stopped her vs. being kind to Lev lol Abby is written like a god-tier villain, while most find Lev has a more compelling character arc. Ellie's character had to be downgraded to bits and it drags the game down, because it wants to make everything so depressing without the actual feeling being there. The writing is absolute garbage in this game from nearly the beginning till the end.

The plot wasn't sped up. Joel's death just happened at the beginning, but that wasn't the "end" of Joel's story.

After Joel's death we see the progression of Joel and Ellie's relationship over the past 5 years.

You'd have to turn your brain off and take the narration as gospel to not notice that Abby gives no fucks about killing Joel right after he saved her. The plot just shrugs it all off, but it's a crucial point where they meet.

You actually think people's hatred goes away if someone saves you if that person was reasonable for killing a loved one. The difference between Abby and Jerry is that Jerry was her father for years, and Ellie only knew Joel for 5 years, and at least 2 of those years she spent hating Joel.

Super heroes save villains life all the time, yet no one says, "Wow. Batman saved their life and they're still trying to kill Batman?".

People are motivated by hatred. Abby hated the man for years and that's not going to go away just because Joel saved her life.

Abby and crew should've grown closer to Joel and company, then you can have that payoff where you understand who she is and a betrayal occurs. Instead, she's portrayed like a sociopath for a large portion of the game.

Then you have no plot real. There's nothing that drives the story forward. You're going to play the entire game with characters having a theory session.

I swear, people who criticize the writing don't really think things through.

Ellie's character had to be downgraded to bits and it drags the game down, because it wants to make everything so depressing without the actual feeling being there. The writing is absolute garbage in this game from nearly the beginning till the end.

This is the fallout of Joel's decision to save Ellie and it's not a happy outcome many deranged fans were expecting.

aclar00

People didn’t like one of the most beloved characters of last generation (perhaps all time gaming) being used as a simple plot device.

i feel like this is the most honest take. People cared for Joel and didnt like the way things ended for him...all the other "poor story" or SJW rhetoric, IMO, is just to hide the pain they feel inside that their videogame dad died.

Dont get me wrong, i rather that not have happened, but it was still a great game and far superior to 90% of games narrative wise and technically.

finowns

And? Her goal was to kill him, she has no ode to ignore that simply because he saved her, if anything it shows just how serious it is that even that act couldn't stop her from killing him.

So sure, its disrespectful because its suppose to be. Why the fuck would it be "respectful"? Abby has no ode to be "respectful" to such a person, just the opposite.

You are not suppose to know that prior as the point is to surprise the user. Why the fuck would they spoil the plot?

Good. She's not suppose to.... Joel saving her doesn't make them even or something lol Thats not enough for her to stop, shit that wouldn't be enough for me. I'd still kill him if not WORSE then what she did.

Nope. They have no fucking reason to. She is there to kill him and go. Thus....she kills him and goes.

Nah, none of that bud. The way it was done was damn near perfect. They leave you in the dark as to allow you to have her..

She must be seen as that as it needs to be from ELLIE'S PERSPECTIVE! This is done to allow the player to question the mystery of why this person did this and to allow your hate and anger to grow.

I fucking LOVED IT! I was pissed off, wanted her dead and by the time I got to her part and actually saw WHY, i was conflicted. I spent a lot of the game really hating her and wanting her dead, but I want her dead based on only 1 fucking thing I know about her..... thats kinda the point. They WANT the player to feel that. So how the fuck could you know this information when the game starts? It starts from Ellie's perspective and it makes sense to leave it like that for the first half to allow you to feel what she feels.

Can't really do that if you already know WHY Abby is there from the jump. They want you as confused and angry as Ellie.

Thats the point. What the characters do is debatable to many in terms of good or evil, ie Joel at the very ending of The Last Of Us 1. That has been debated by my friends and I for years as I was in the camp of I believe he did far more harm then good, my friends supported him and saw his perspective.

It isn't a fucking good vs evil concept, its a gray area, the series has always been that. You decided to also ignore Abby saving Lev's life, Abby saving many lives part of WLF, her relationship with Owen etc. From their perspective, they are the "good guys".

So you could argue the same fucking shit about Joel btw and say shit like " for being a piece of shit and a scumbag human being.", never mind Abby killing Joel, Joel basically set back hundreds of thousnads of lives by the vaccine slowing down development. If it happened or not is debatable, but he set it back regardless. You still see Joel singing, laughing and being a kind person, doesn't mean he has not killed many innocent folks.

So sorry man, you only want to focus on shit that fits a narrative, you conveniently ignored everything else they showed about Abby.

The characters are made to show you most times in life, a good vs evil concept doesn't exist as much as we want it to. Many people seek revenge that otherwise are normally good hearted people and we only see the darkest side of them when they do 1 thing bad. So you a seem to be fixed on only talking about negative things about Abby when even the people who don't like the game admitted the game does show you a different side of Abby (though they state the game tries to FORCE you to like her, besides the point) its the fact that such things exist in the game, so its simply false that she is only some monster killer type character.

For better or worse, factually you see many sides of this character just like you see Joel, Ellie etc. We can debate if we liked it or good vs bad all day, but for fucks sake don't go around out right lying about factual things that can be found in the game.

Debate if you like the side of her shown, no reason to out right debate if such a side was shown at all as its just a lie that anyone can easily disprove.

Lastly, the writing was done just fine. You are asking for the mystery to be taken out of a game where a large part of it was made to be a mystery.

It would be like saying the writing in Matlock is bad as you should have hte show marketed showing you the bad guy and we should all know the fucking bad guy and why he is the murder within 5 minutes of an episode.

That doesn't sound like you have a thing against bad writing sir, that sounds like you need not play games about mysteries if you don't like mysteries.

Yes I agree she is not empathetic. Abby is clearly an unlikeable piece of shit just kill her and her crew of jerks and be done with it.

MadPanda

Banned
I don't hate tlou2 but I was midly disae. It's basically Tlou1 with much better graphics. I didn't feel any progress after 7 years, it still plays the same. You could watch it on YouTube played without commentary and you wouldn't miss much as you don't make any decisions in the game so it's like a playable movie in a way. Way to scripted for my liking. It's not a bad game, I completed it, enjoyed it, but I don't consider it the greatest achievement in gaming or whatever. Is give it 8/10 as it has amazing production values.

Ozzie666

Look the bait and switch in the promotions and advertising, probably upset a lot of people. I went in with no expectations, I enjoyed the ride. I would enjoy a DLC where Abby regains some of herself and recovers. I'd be up for an Abby and Ellie making peace against a common foe type deal. Their skills, gear and feel of play, were contrasting.

The representation in the game, didn't bother me. The writers, made it make sense, but some feel it was forced and just caving to the current social meta.

And then obviously, Joel. Much beloved character. I can understand that too.

If anything, I felt they set the game up the way they did to re-use assets and double the size of the game. It was expensive, they found an interesting solution. I highly doubt, that was the original intention for the game.

Anyone expecting purely a story of Ellie and Joe, were very disappointed. The game had a point where it was a fitting ending, but they pushed it just a bit further. The first game was special, and probably stay with me forever. The second was a good experience, but almost forgotten.

oagboghi2

The plot wasn't sped up. Joel's death just happened at the beginning, but that wasn't the "end" of Joel's story.

After Joel's death we see the progression of Joel and Ellie's relationship over the past 5 years.

You actually think people's hatred goes away if someone saves you if that person was reasonable for killing a loved one. The difference between Abby and Jerry is that Jerry was her father for years, and Ellie only knew Joel for 5 years, and at least 2 of those years she spent hating Joel.

Super heroes save villains life all the time, yet no one says, "Wow. Batman saved their life and they're still trying to kill Batman?".

People are motivated by hatred. Abby hated the man for years and that's not going to go away just because Joel saved her life.

Then you have no plot real. There's nothing that drives the story forward. You're going to play the entire game with characters having a theory session.

This is the fallout of Joel's decision to save Ellie and it's not a happy outcome many deranged fans were expecting.
Are you even trying comprehending what he wrote, or is this full on defense mode?

it’s a fictional story, you do understand that right? People can have subjective feelings about how effective they think the writing was

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Are you even trying comprehending what he wrote, or is this full on defense mode?

it’s a fictional story, you do understand that right? People can have subjective feelings about how effective they think the writing was

It's a discussion about the story. Unless you want to talk about it instead of attacking me, then do it.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member

Did you not read his post about how they "nailed his characterization"? I was speaking about the writers being disrespectful with handling the character's writing, not any of them in particular.

For the bolded portion, sounds like some ND fanboy shit. Imagine thinking that portraying anything other than TLOU2 being an Ellie and Joel fest is "spoiling the plot". Complete fanboy shit and it's laughable you even defend that. Swapping characters, changing models, etc. to sell a game based on two characters, and you settle for that.

Abby definitely should've gone through some emotional conflict or something. That's where the problem lies, and why many don't empathize with any of her story. Instead of having any emotional connection with about 85% of what she's involved in, she goes through most of the game like
michael-jordan.jpg

I brought up Abby's relationship with Owen. She dated him previously, which doesn't matter. She rapes him while the dude's drunk and in a relationship with her pregnant "friend" already. Nobody forgot that shitty ass scene and it is definitely one of the first things a person can point to when they say TLOU2 has a certain political agenda. Then, she just MJ shrugs it off and has actual dialogue shrugging it off. I already brought up Abby helping Lev, and that's like the one of the only positives she has all game. Hell, the only reason pregnant Dina isn't dead is because Lev told Abby not to do it. Lev is written as a better character and has more compelling traits (some people don't care for the trans thing, I'm cool with it). Also, being a part of WLF isn't a good character trait.

"They want you as confused and angry as Ellie" <-- Abby is the gaming version of "X-Pac heat" from the moment she kills Joel for many. It's about how she has no qualms or emotions involved with "this guy killed dad" and "this guy just saved my life". Hell, Joel asks her who the fuck she is and she does ^^^. This character has nothing at stake emotionally for many points in the game, yet the audience is supposed to connect. Why? Because Druckmann wrote and told you to? If we removed the likenesses of all the people involved, but the same shit happens with randomly generated names, it'd still be garbage.

This game doesn't present a "grey" for Abby. There are way too many negatives and only a small amount of positives for the character. They also bring Ellie down as a character to meet this, which makes everything in the world "depressing". Ellie not knowing Mel was pregnant when she defended herself and killed her vs. Abby knowing Dina was pregnant and still trying to kill her <-- shit like this is what separates the two, yet we're supposed to see them as near equals. Also, Joel's ending for TLOU1 was understandable and relatable, especially with it being shown that the Fireflies possibly had no clue what the hell they were doing.

Joel in TLOU1 was grey area with his choosing of Ellie over the potential for a vaccine. It wasn't 100% and the risk of killing Ellie for nothing is the drama. His stuff from the first game involved personal stakes, but also, a deduction of information and a decision. He didn't do this for his own benefit, but for Ellie's. It is presented well, given the bond and trust between the two gains weight over the entirety of the game, and provides a "rock and a hard place" ending. Doesn't help that the doctor pulls some shit on Joel either, so he is forced to defend himself. TLOU2 doesn't have Abby in those circumstances, as she (and the writing for her) does MJ shrug for most of it and is a narcissistic individual to almost everyone.

Joel isn't confirmed to set anything back by saving Ellie, that's just a theory. You're taking it as 100% fact, because the second game writes it like that, which shows the indoctrination you've gone through. "If it happened or not is debatable, but he set it back" <-- what does this even mean? Who said it set them back hundreds of thousands of lives? This is with the belief of a cure and nothing else. You mean to tell me things are set back, yet there are all these difference places doing different shit in the second game? That's a theory you're giving. A cure could be created in CA or wherever and nobody would know, given that these people in Seattle have all this $$$ for gyms and shit.

Anybody that played the game (and it has the best completion rate of any game in PlayStation 4) can see:

• The revenge cycle theme is fantastic.
  • The story is deep and keep you engaged to know what it will happen next.
  • Characters are great with it own complications with amazing development (I can't find one to be bad).
  • The gameplay is again flawless... it is perfection.
  • The enemy variety is now way better.
  • The weapons and craft items are way better than original.
  • The world and environment are fantastic.
  • Side activities are great.
  • It humanizes all sides... it is impactful and emotionally driven.

The game is everything a sequel should be.
It is a must to play even if you get down due violence.

So I really can't understand the hate some GAFers has with one of the best games ever created.

PS. I really can't even understand the political controversy... I really can't see politics in the game... maybe because I'm not American? I don't know.

Edit - Making this thread just me miss even more Factions MP... I blamed ND for that and I will continue doing that because that decision was utter shit.

couldn't have agreed more, beat the game twice and platinumed it. Only then did I go through the internet and started reading about spoilers that was apparently leaked months in advance and how certain people in twitter were harassing devs. Naughty Dog delivered a masterpiece in my book, love both the first game and the sequel equally!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Because it features a protagonist in the second half who could knock there fuck in and dey dont like gurls with big arms cause reasons... the game was pure fucking brilliance, Abby was a class character

Dunki

The reason its like beating a dead horse is because most people's rationale for hating the game boils down to the game not being the Joel-centric fan service story they wanted, and/or because its writer director is a member of the political tribe they are opposed to.

Its really that simple, especially as neither of those things should be considered as faults.

Sorry, but from where I stand if you're the sort of "fan" who believes their affection for a property should act as an ironclad creative strait-jacket preventing its author from going wherever their muse/instinct takes them, you're not really a fan at all.

Similarly if we are to start shitting on works just because their creator holds political beliefs we do not share, then why not join Resetera? That's been their MO from day#1.
Sorry but this is bullshit. THE WHOLE Game is all about JOEL. EVERYTHING in this game is motivated by Joel or Joels Death. There is nothing in the story except the side quest with Abby. I have no problems with letting Joel die. I have also no problem to let Ellie on a Revenge trip. The Problem is the Section with Abby which breaks the pacing.

When Abbys Part begins it is hours later tha her people got killed already. So in thesee like 12 hours you go on a vacation trip to an island to kill a cult and everything else is getting where Ellies has been already. Just to discover their dead bodies which then ends in some kind of flashback so you feel sorry for a character you killed hours ago and probably can not even remeember anymore,

And the worst part is that the games tries so fucking hard to make you like Abby. Everything she does in this game is set in Contrast with the Actions of Ellie. Again Ellie kills dogs, Abby loves them. Ellie kills a prenant women Abby spares her. And these are just two of many other examples. Its like Life is Strange 2 : "trump is bad, Trump is bad, Trump is bad.by the way did you know that Trump is bad?"

This is shitty writing and personally it makes me hate a character. I do not care about her unrealistic body type I do not care that she kills Joel. But man makes TLOU2 make me hate Abby

Last edited:

Ktotheroc

Neo Member

It was definitely sped up. The dilemma to make Abby interesting lies in her ability to contrast the idea of going through with killing Joel, once she figures out who he is, and leaving him to live, because he saved her. Instead, the game rushes in with "oh.... this is Tommy.....oh.... this is Joel Miller.... please watch him die" like an hour into playing. Any reasonable person would have the emotional dissonance between those two ideas, having contrasting emotions. Instead, Ellie has the emotional dissonance in the ending, where she can't decide whether to kill or spare Abby, despite going through nearly nothing to earn it. She has some "Jin in his Tekken 4 ending" shit where the spirit of Joel suddenly compels her to not do it. I wasn't talking Joel's parts in it, but those flashbacks involving him were the most interesting lol

Do you know you're practically admitting that Abby is a villain then, right? The interest in Batman comes from whether he will succumb to evil and finally kill the villains or remain in his ways. Nobody cares about the conviction of the villains, because they mostly exist as pure evil, instead of morally "grey". A lot of the anti-heroes exist in the "grey" area.

What are you talking about? The plot is literally in front of your face. It's better than Joel getting killed an hour in, and isn't rushed. Flesh out Abby and make the dilemma a big point of Pt. 2, which would set up the clash between Ellie v. Abby in Pt. 3. Nobody asked for the outcome to be "happy", just not shit. Stop being a fanboy

Ulysses 31

I disagree, not an insane coincidence of running into Joel because Abby and Gang were in the area tracking them. Its like you bumping into a friend at a local bar you both frequent. But I don’t know may be that’s an insane coincidence to you.
It is a big coincidence when there was also a horde and blizzard going on forcing the encounter with Joel and Abby&Co.

NinjaBoiX

The hate is so strange to me, I really don’t get it. It’s the vitriol people have, pure rage against the game.

And complaining that the writing was awful? Like, the dialogue? I thought it was great in the main, really natural.

Meh, whatever. I feel like there is an agenda against this game over and above it’s objective successes or failures.

I liked it, other people didn’t and get themselves really riled up for some reason. It is what it is.

just wokeness shooting itself in the foot
This is the other thing I really don’t get, people assuming that it was trying to be overly “woke”. I didn’t get that at all.

*shrugs*
The story and characters were as predictable and one note as a low budget TBS drama, and I spent what seems like 70% of my play time mashing triangle along every wall, corner, and desk in the game. It was an overly long and gratingly boring experience.
You know there’s a prompt when you can interact with something right? lol

Last edited:
I dunno, I like how divisive it is. Personally I thought Abby was a good character and would have loved it if she had broken Ellie's neck at the end and just left her lying there dead as the credits rolled.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was definitely sped up. The dilemma to make Abby interesting lies in her ability to contrast the idea of going through with killing Joel, once she figures out who he is, and leaving him to live, because he saved her. Instead, the game rushes in with "oh.... this is Tommy.....oh.... this is Joel Miller.... please watch him die" like an hour into playing. Any reasonable person would have the emotional dissonance between those two ideas, having contrasting emotions. Instead, Ellie has the emotional dissonance in the ending, where she can't decide whether to kill or spare Abby, despite going through nearly nothing to earn it. She has some "Jin in his Tekken 4 ending" shit where the spirit of Joel suddenly compels her to not do it. I wasn't talking Joel's parts in it, but those flashbacks involving him were the most interesting lol

Joel's death takes Ellie on her journey. If you delay this act, then you would have to fill in the first part of the game with with something.

What would it be?

Oh right, you want people just go to therapy sessions while Abby tries to forgive Joel. This is a action video game and not some sitcom.

Do you know you're practically admitting that Abby is a villain then, right? The interest in Batman comes from whether he will succumb to evil and finally kill the villains or remain in his ways. Nobody cares about the conviction of the villains, because they mostly exist as pure evil, instead of morally "grey". A lot of the anti-heroes exist in the "grey" area.

I'm not. People are costumed by hatred will not automatically change by an act of kindness. You miss the point of the batman reference just like you missed key details in this story.

Your logic is that because Joel saved Abby, that means Abby should forgive him.

What are you talking about? The plot is literally in front of your face. It's better than Joel getting killed an hour in, and isn't rushed. Flesh out Abby and make the dilemma a big point of Pt. 2, which would set up the clash between Ellie v. Abby in Pt. 3. Nobody asked for the outcome to be "happy", just not shit. Stop being a fanboy

Terrible idea.

You're delaying the inevitable. You will spend Part II and Part III with an Abby\Ellie arc when something needs to lead to Fireflies and Ellie coming together for a cure.

You criticism leaves so many holes in the story in which you think is better when it's not. The more you try to find "a better story" deviates from the path of the original.

Last edited:

Dunki

This is the other thing I really don’t get, people assuming that it was trying to be overly “woke”. I didn’t get that at all.
The game was not the politics behind it and the reasoning why people hate this game was. If you use the excuse because gamer hate women as argument for all the critic of this game you already lost IMO.

And complaining that the writing was awful? Like, the dialogue? I thought it was great in the main, really natural.
No not the dialogue, The structure, the pacing, the way how it forces you to situations, how they did rewrite characters personalities to make it more plausible etc. The Acting is still got, the cut etc is still TOP but the overall writing is so bad to me compared to the other game. Also all these new Characters get not time for development except maybe Abby and Lev the rest is just there waiting to be killed.

In TLOU I still remember every single character I have met and spend time with with TLOU2 I do not even care or remember people anymore.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Actually enjoyed it once I ignored all the political and social justice forced stuff, probably my SP goty honestly.

Ding ding ding. This is why so many including myself hates it.
I play video games to relax and have fun, not to get some leftist idiot (which they for some reason mostly are in this business) to get their political view over me.

I hated far cry 5 for the same reason - a whole game dedicated to be an anti trump Simulator.

I have a strong political opinion, and while I truly respect having a different opinion I can't accept having a narrative game designer who literally says "leftists the best, rights the worst."

Druckmann showing as a huge leftist crybaby meltdown is about the most fun that came out with this game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Some of us don't wants games to be like movies.

Movies should been watched, games should be played.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Joel's death takes Ellie on her journey. If you delay this act, then you would have to fill in the first part of the game with with something.

What would it be?

Oh right, you want people just go to therapy sessions while Abby tries to forgive Joel. This is a action video game and not some sitcom.

I'm not. People are costumed by hatred will not automatically change by an act of kindness. You miss the point of the batman reference just like you missed key details in this story.

Your logic is that because Joel saved Abby, that means Abby should forgive him.

Terrible idea.

You're delaying the inevitable. You will spend Part II and Part III with an Abby\Ellie arc when something needs to lead to Fireflies and Ellie coming together for a cure.

You criticism leaves so many holes in the story in which you think is better when it's not. The more you try to find "a better story" deviates from the path of the original.
Many people who don't like the game actually had a very simple and short answer. They didn't like Joel getting whacked. He was the main character of the first game and a kick ass character which gamers like in games. Some gamers didn't like the double female/double plots.

So what longwinded excuse do you have for these gamers?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Many people who don't like the game actually had a very simple and short answer. They didn't like Joel getting whacked. He was the main character of the first game and a kick ass character which gamers like in games. Some gamers didn't like the double female/double plots.

So what longwinded excuse do you have for these gamers?

You don't seem to have a problem with anyone saying the game has bad writing.

Do you say to them, "Many people like this game. They enjoy the writing and the story"? You don't. I'm just discussing the story. People are free to hate it.

Top Bottom