• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyped for Armored Core all of a sudden?

Armored Core 2 was the first PS2 game I played at my friend's house back in the day. We played it almost every day for a year. Been a huge fan of the series ever since. No other mech game has come close imo when it comes to the balance between customization and satisfying combat. Also it is my favorite type of art direction for mechs.

SeraphJan

I've always wished Gundam games were ever as good as Armored Core in terms of mechanic.

Armored Core 5 was a good game back in 2012 too, its might not click with most western reviewer, it always had its own fanbase in Japan or else it wouldn't release that many sequels.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.

Ive been commenting on various Soulsborne youtubers videos about this kinda thing.
So far it seems AC6 will have a Stagger mechanic and a dedicated button that launches you into Melee. So far so good, it seems staggering a mech opens them up to a finisher type thing like Sekiro.
BUT thats it as far as Souls mechanics go.
Everything else has been in AC since at least 4.
It just looks like the most polished AC game so far. And it does look great. But yeah all these new ‘fans’ need to get their expectations in check, I really dont want them review bombing it when its actually a fantastic game but not Mech Souls.

CGNoire

Its a myth that you "need" to go back to assembly to customize builds for every mission. I used the same mech with the same loadout for 80% of all missions in 4A. Its called a Multi-Role Build. Not to mention the game comes with preset build profiles you can switch between quickly.

MagnesD3

Ive been commenting on various Soulsborne youtubers videos about this kinda thing.
So far it seems AC6 will have a Stagger mechanic and a dedicated button that launches you into Melee. So far so good, it seems staggering a mech opens them up to a finisher type thing like Sekiro.
BUT thats it as far as Souls mechanics go.
Everything else has been in AC since at least 4.
It just looks like the most polished AC game so far. And it does look great. But yeah all these new ‘fans’ need to get their expectations in check, I really dont want them review bombing it when its actually a fantastic game but not Mech Souls.
They have said they are going to take level design lessons as well as enemy Interactivity lessons from the souls games mechanics. It looks like it will be potentially be an incredible game because of this, this is why people are excited. The trailer also looked great.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really dont want them review bombing it when its actually a fantastic game but not Mech Souls.
Oh they will, remember how people complain about Sekiro not being RPG like pervious Souls series? Funny thing is when Elden Ring was coming out and still complained but this this about being “too much like Souls game”.

People will complain for sake of complaining with no actual logic behind it.

Banned
the newest trailer in combination with the IGN interview recently hyped me up for it.

I never really was too interested in Armored Core, mostly because the demos of the games were always super overwhelming, but From Software's current output in combination with what the devs presented so far makes the game look extremely compelling

Shifty1897

Let FromSoftware Cook. If they want to make a new Armored Core game, I'm here for it. Let's see what they come up with now that they have proper budgets for their games.

Drake

As I said in the other thread and other people have mentioned it here. It's because these people have never played an Armored Core game before and they think they are going to be getting Dark Souls with mechs. They're going to be very disappointed.

Danjin44

they think they are going to be getting Dark Souls with mechs. They're going to be very disappointed.
Then they have only themselves to blame, especially when we are living in age of internet and you can easily research what these games all about.

Gojiira

Banned
Then they have only themselves to blame, especially when we are living in age of internet and you can easily research what these games all about.
Yeah but people like Vaati,Ziostorm etc all contribute to the misconception. Vaati especially has that impact although he obviously has a more measured coverage of the game despite diving straight into theory and lore crafting, I mean they’re straight sci-fi not lore deep RPGs. Blowing smoke up the Souls fans collective asses is just a disservice to AC tbh.

In the beginning, people complained that sekiro wasn't souls enough. Now that it has had time to age, people generally agree that either sekiro or bloodborne are the best.

The biggest departure from the formula in recent years, Sekiro, was a resounding success. Same designer.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned yet - froms experience with boss fights. Things are gonna get really crazy with the boss fights.

Ever hear the term Flag Waving?

Now everyone and there mother was there from the beginning. Shit there are people on this fourm that were in utero durning the original PS days that’ll claim they’ve been there since the start of it all lol

Nah, I’m just joshing. But really

RyRy93

The hype is 90% down to From’s recent success particularly Elden Ring.

As someone that has loved their Souls style games though I don’t feel any hype for this.

Last edited:

Danjin44

As someone that has loved their Souls style games though I don’t feel any hype for this.
Armored Core are great games in my opinion but these games are NOT Souls games if thats what you are hoping for. But they are bringing their experience from past works to this game with boss fights, level designs and even bringing posture like mechanic from Sekiro to this game.

Last edited:

Banned
The Armored Core fanbase is roughly the size of From's Patches fanfic fanbase. They'd be silly to not try to make this appeal to their larger audience. I'm counting on it.

I don't think they're actually trying to make it appeal to a larger audience, they seem to simply try and make the most polished and well made Armored Core, and hope that their recent track record will draw in new players.

and I actually think it will.
I don't think it will be a 10million seller like Dark Souls 3, but maybe 2-4 million? which I bet would be a huge win for the series.

they did however seem to have focused on making melee builds super viable and aggressive playstyles more viable than before. which I bet is partly thanks to the experience they got developing Dark Souls and Sekiro.

their melee combat has improved a shitton since their Tenchu Z and Ninja Blade days after all! so it would be wasted potential to not implement more plasma swords and aggressive melee moves.

and due to that new element, it could in return actually really appeal to the Souls crowd, at least more so than other Armored Core games.

Last edited:

simpatico

I don't think they're actually trying to make it appeal to a larger audience, they seem to simply try and make the most polished and well made Armored Core, and hope that their recent track record will draw in new players.

and I actually think it will.
I don't think it will be a 10million seller like Dark Souls 3, but maybe 2-4 million? which I bet would be a huge win for the series.

they did however seem to have focused on making melee builds super viable and aggressive playstyles more viable than before. which I bet is partly thanks to the experience they got developing Dark Souls and Sekiro.

their melee combat has improved a shitton since their Tenchu Z and Ninja Blade days after all! so it would be wasted potential to not implement more plasma swords and aggressive melee moves.

and due to that new element, it could in return actually really appeal to the Souls crowd, at least more so than other Armored Core games.
I see it splitting the difference between old school AC and Souls. There's no way it's just a straight AC installment.

Danjin44

It's not an open-world action RPG, rogue-lik(t)e, or variation on Battle Royale?
No, Armored Core has much more of mission structure. You go through missions and you get parts from enemies or find them in map or get them as reward and use those to build you AC for next mission.

Last edited:

Bekind

Neo Member
Same, i give zero fuck what Fromsoft/Miyazaki is cooking for their next game. I would buy their new games on day 1 anyway.

ITS FROMSOFTWARE, AND THATS IT.

Last edited:

phant0m

No, Armored Core has much more of mission structure. You go through missions and you get parts from enemies or find them in map or get them as reward and use those to build you AC for next mission.
Lol I know that, my post was a direct response to OPs title

Danjin44

Lol I know that, my post was a direct response to OPs title
giphy.gif

Davesky

Because I have fucking amazing memories playing the PS1 demo disc and making my very own badge with the emblem editor, that's why.

Last edited:

Danjin44

This.

Vaati nailed it.

Have to be blind to not see the influence of the previous From games.
That’s true with every developers, they will bring their experience of pervious games to the new game or series. This was same with games like Catherine, the devs added some Persona elements to the game even tho Catherine is completely different type of game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You mean Robotech?

Please, please just go watch Macross Plus and prepare to never ever refer to the series as "Robotech" again

FelineFirmBufflehead-size_restricted.gif

sorry I couldn't let that go, they really lost something special when they combined all those series into that weird amalgamation of a series that is Robotech.

its like if they combined a bunch of Gundam series and rewrote the plot so that the Federation never do anything bad, and Char has the same voice as Starscream.

its a real shame the right holders of robotech have been cock blocking the series in the west even though they dont actually own the rights to macross, some of the Asia exclusive games where very interesting.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Please, please just go watch Macross Plus and prepare to never ever refer to the series as "Robotech" again

FelineFirmBufflehead-size_restricted.gif

sorry I couldn't let that go, they really lost something special when they combined all those series into that weird amalgamation of a series that is Robotech.

its like if they combined a bunch of Gundam series and rewrote the plot so that the Federation never do anything bad, and Char has the same voice as Starscream.

its a real shame the right holders of robotech have been cock blocking the series in the west even though they dont actually own the rights to macross, some of the Asia exclusive games where very interesting.

Holy shit that looks amazing man. Macross Plus... Is it a movie?

Also. I always thought Robotech was the Japanese name for Macross....

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Holy shit that looks amazing man. Macross Plus... Is it a movie?

Also. I always thought Robotech was the Japanese name for Macross....

Oh god... the story of what and how Robotech came to be is SUPER intresting, it involves the actual Italian mafia as well. The problem is for Robotech to exist 3 other series including Macross are not allowed to in the west, this has recently started to finally shift, but for all intent and purposes their completely diffrent series.

And to answer your question Macross Plus is an OVA series & a movie. The movie version due to the improved pacing and that few additional scenes is the superior version... ironically though it is missing the entire gif above, which is a shame but it gains so much more.

There's also the utterly beloved movie version of the original series "Do you remember love" which is canonicaly an in universe movie that retells the original animated series events for the people of the macross universe to watch. A bit like how we watch Saving Private Ryan that retells Omaha beach, the people of the Macross universe watch "Do you remember love" for their fix and it is phenomenal especially for 1984.

To put it in perspective studio Gibili's first movie castles in the sky would not release until 2 years later in 1986 and the Macross franchise was looking like that 2 years earlier.

Sorry about the off topic guys, but I get so few opportunities to gush about Mecha and normally its trying to get people into the gateway drug of Gundam and not some of the other super intresting stuff like Macross and Patlabor, which I will end this post on a GIF of because Patlabor 2 is sick and I love it.

patlabor-patlabor2the-movie.gif

Last edited:
Oh god... the story of what and how Robotech came to be is SUPER intresting, it involves the actual Italian mafia as well. The problem is for Robotech to exist 3 other series including Macross are not allowed to in the west, this has recently started to finally shift, but for all intent and purposes their completely diffrent series.

And to answer your question Macross Plus is an OVA series & a movie. The movie version due to the improved pacing and that few additional scenes is the superior version... ironically though it is missing the entire gif above, which is a shame but it gains so much more.

There's also the utterly beloved movie version of the original series "Do you remember love" which is canonicaly an in universe movie that retells the original animated series events for the people of the macross universe to watch. A bit like how we watch Saving Private Ryan that retells Omaha beach, the people of the Macross universe watch "Do you remember love" for their fix and it is phenomenal especially for 1984.

To put it in perspective studio Gibili's first movie castles in the sky would not release until 2 years later in 1986 and the Macross franchise was looking like that 2 years earlier.

Sorry about the off topic guys, but I get so few opportunities to gush about Mecha and normally its trying to get people into the gateway drug of Gundam and not some of the other super intresting stuff like Macross and Patlabor, which I will end this post on a GIF of because Patlabor 2 is sick and I love it.

How much you think Jetfire is worth if I still have the box?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Holy Moly. Thanks for your detailed response.

I'll try to check out Macross Plus.

Do you remember love is one of my favorite movies ever but you'd knew that via my avatar.

Kind regards.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do you remember love is one of my favorite movies ever but you'd knew that via my avatar.

Kind regards.

Ironically I only noticed after I made a huge spiel over how amazing the movie is and far ahead of its time for animation quality and thought "fuck it, others who read about how amazing it is might decide to watch" and left it in.

How much you think Jetfire is worth if I still have the box?

depending on quality and intact parts

should give you a good guide on what to expect.

Last edited:
Ironically I only noticed after I made a huge spiel over how amazing the movie is and far ahead of its time for animation quality and thought "fuck it, others who read about how amazing it is might decide to watch" and left it in.

depending on quality and intact parts

should give you a good guide on what to expect.
Thanks so much for that link.
I have a big box full of Transformers that I had since about 86is. I mean some of them are run into the ground look wise but they all transform.
The Soundwave I have has a copyright date of 1974 on it. Never noticed as a kid of course.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I was a fan of the PS1 original at launch and played through the campaign twice. Couldn’t care less what 20-somethings think of it. If they wanna jump on board, cool, if not thats cool too.

Top Bottom