• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is copying data from a disc on PS5 still so insanely slow?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
These fucking zoomers have no idea how bad it was

Hug me bro

This video is dedicated to all the old farts in here .

PS : i still remember going at a friend's house that had an Amstrad 128 with a diskette, shit was the equivalent of today's SSD's when it same to speed

This would have worked with MS plan at the launch of Xbox one but doesn’t work now because you could just sell the physical game back.
Yeah I remember that shitshow run by Don Mattrick..... What was MS thinking. The whole Xbox One reveal was 1 big dumpster fire..

Dr. Suchong

But what kind of sandwich? Lately, I’ve been making tomato, turkey, and Swiss ones. It toasted, salt and pepper, some kind of spicy mustard and mayo
That sounds delicious, do that one 👍
I think someone at Capcom jokingly said "Go make a sandwich" in response to complaints about the 20+ minute wait for the installation of Devil may cry 4 on Ps3.

GymWolf

It's utter shit, yes.

Even worse when sometimes it tells you that everything is finished between day one patch and installation and when you try to finally play, the system start to download or copy some other bullshit.

Last edited:
It really is a shame that PS5 still suffers from that, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro did. Absolutely horrific design that must bottle-neck the transfer process to a snail's pace. Unacceptable in 2023. Hell, it was unacceptable last decade.

Techies

Amazed how many people are saying BD is slow. It's like 30+mb/s! That's excellent. These are just huge installations.
A usb3.1 gen 2 usb drive is like 10gbps. It's outdated Technology. We are in the age of fibre/solid state drives and 5g/wifi6 wireless connectivity. At this point BD has moved towards the bottom of the it's fast hierachy.

ZoukGalaxy

this is kind of ridiculous, is it not?
Nah, only your complaint and this thread are.

Boombox Shut Up GIF

Last edited:
Also downloading patches that install to the game file takes forever on Playstation, but is almost instantaneous on Xbox.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Disc installs are pretty fast, it's usually the additional downloaded data that prolongs the process which it doesn't do while installing from disc unlike the update data.
So you get this

>Disc data (Installing)
>additional data download(queued)
>update data (queued)

The update data you can start if you pause the additional data to save time otherwise it will be queued until it finishes.
It all depends on how the developer has handled the installation process and what they allow while it installs or updates
Some allow you to start the game once a certain percentage has installed while the rest installs.
There are plenty (usually Japanese games)
That install straight from disc and have nothing to download and they install fast with 5 minutes or less.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's an optical disc. Thing can only spin so fast. Games have gotten absolutely huge now, too.

Rodolink

that's why it's also a bit ridiculous not being able to get a "key" in advance so you can preload digitally a game you purchase physically, would be cool, the moment you preorder a game you get a code that can be used only to preload a game and then when you get the disc it just checks again to let you play.

nikos

Yeah, it's horrible. Bought physical PS5 games at launch. Never again, unless I'm able to get something really early. I could have downloaded those games multiple times in the time it took to install from disc.

Luigi Mario

Do most of these recent physical releases of Activision games have any of the data on disc?
Because it was not the case for Modern Warfare II.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also higher resolution textures.
I meant by design to make physicals redundant eventually. Since Activision was the top third party big pusher in the original Xbox One design and no more resale of physical. They have also been the big pusher (as in first where the rest followed) in both last gen and this gen for the $10 increases ($60 last gen, $70 this gen), which I can bet it will be the for the hat trick next gen too ($80 next gen, bet).

It will be a convenience QoL factor through attrition.

CoD has no business being so large, other than they are stacking (duplicated) assets... on purpose.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I meant by design to make physicals redundant eventually. Since Activision was the top third party big pusher in the original Xbox One design and no more resale of physical. They have also been the big pusher (as in first where the rest followed) in both last gen and this gen for the $10 increases ($60 last gen, $70 this gen), which I can bet it will be the for the hat trick next gen too ($80 next gen, bet).

It will be a convenience QoL factor through attrition.

CoD has no business being so large, other than they are stacking (duplicated) assets... on purpose.
You also have to keep in mind that the more data that needs to be read the faster said data reading needs to happen.
Physical discs just can't keep up and I can see why devs would cuts costs on something that's no longer needed.

I think cod has every language pack under the sun installed with every new game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You also have to keep in mind that the more data that needs to be read the faster said data reading needs to happen.
Physical discs just can't keep up and I can see why devs would cuts costs on something that's no longer needed.

I think cod has every language pack under the sun installed with every new game.
Well, in games that are that large, you don't even have the full game on the disc anymore. It's a multifaceted assault. CoD could take advantage of the faster compression I/O's in these consoles, but they don't. They leave duplication everywhere along with the language packs that they could make optional as well. But why bother when you can be 2/3 of the storage space install on said machine, and be that game "too much of a hassle to remove and reinstall if I want to play again," so people will always be mentally engaged with it.

It's all psychological, really.

Ev1L AuRoN

From what I gather on the internet the PS5 disc drive peaks at 29MB's and that is on sequential read, depending on how fragmented the files are that speed can drop as slow as 3~5MB's thanks to the slow seek times of the Blu-ray.
My internet peaks at around 120MB's, but more realistic, I get around 80~90MB's on game downloads. It's quite fast and just plain better than physical copies, more convenient too since I don't have to swap discs to play different games. That being said, I understand that Disc has their own perks, like price, ownership and preservation, although the last one is getting more complicated.

Neilg

Blu ray transfer speed is not quick, that's why you have to install them.

I've gone mostly digital this gen because with fiber straight to an SSD I can download a game significantly faster than it can install off disk.

Surely that can't be true, the drive in the PS3 was just 2x Speed, modern Blu-ray drives can go up to 16x and even if we adjust for size, smaller laptop style Blu-ray Drives can go up to 6x.

I said since the PS3 gen. 16x drives existed during that era. I wasn't specifically talking about what was in the PS3

Top Bottom