• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is copying data from a disc on PS5 still so insanely slow?

SJRB

Gold Member
I got my Diablo IV copy in the mail over half an hour ago and the PS5 has been "copying" ever since. And it's still only at 75%.

I don't know how many GB is being pumped on the SSD but this is kind of ridiculous, is it not?

SJRB

Gold Member
Still only at 80%, are you serious right now

giphy.gif

Mephisto40

I remember having to wait for Scooby Doo on the zx spectrum to load

It took 25 minutes to load, and 9 times out of 10 the game would crash at the intro screen

Then I would rewind the tape, wait another 25 minutes and hope it worked this time

This is what I was waiting for

Some people seriously have no idea how easy they have it nowadays

Last edited:
It’s not that it’s slow per se, more that games are larger than ever and 4K textures take up a huge amount of space. When games were smaller, they loaded quicker 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A Blu-ray drive read speed is about 30-35MB/s. So it should take 30-45mins to transfer 75gb of data?

Nah you also have to account for the ps5 os having to move data around. Since the os is based on free bsd the data is not fragmented. That means to add new data or updating … a lot of data has to be moved to temp spaces and reallocated. This also means the more drive space that is used the slower this will be.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s about 33MB/s
Megabytes. Not bits.

How long is ever since? I’ve not had a game install longer than 40 minutes and even then You can play after much less

Last edited:
Disconnect from the internet, so it doesnt also download the patches straight away. This botches your install speed.
After disc copying is done, connect to the internet and let it download the patches/ content.

It's MUCH faster this way. Sony hasn't fixed this since the fucking PS3..

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
All these people making jokes and not attempting to answer. It should not take that long to pull the data from the disc really. He was asking if that is normal or maybe something on his end. I've wondered the same thing as some games took forever to load.

Boss Mog

Um... Copying anything from a disc drive has always been slow, even on bluray, not sure why would anybody would expect it to be fast on PS5.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I mostly buy digital right now and pick up the disc version when they are cheap or if it has a nice cover or when it's a collectors edition.

Just to place it on the shelves.

Sethbacca

When you preorder a disc based game they should give you a download code so that you can have the game downloaded and ready to go when you get the disc in hand. Best of both worlds experience, but I'd imagine the people that complain about the initial load of a game is so niche that it isn't worth the time and effort to implement such a system.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
When you preorder a disc based game they should give you a download code so that you can have the game downloaded and ready to go when you get the disc in hand. Best of both worlds experience, but I'd imagine the people that complain about the initial load of a game is so niche that it isn't worth the time and effort to implement such a system.
This would have worked with MS plan at the launch of Xbox one but doesn’t work now because you could just sell the physical game back.

DryvBy

This is a phenomenon with status bars. It's copying pretty fast but doesn't feel like it due to seeing the % that's being copied and your time. I installed SF6 from a disc and it took about 5-10 minutes, which seems slow but it copied over 50GB in 5-10 minutes. An old PC game on an old CD ROM would take this time to install a 600MB game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
BluRay disks are slow.......and temp space data dancing.

Sethbacca

This would have worked with MS plan at the launch of Xbox one but doesn’t work now because you could just sell the physical game back.
Just because you download a game it doesn't mean you have a digital license to run it. You'd still need the disc without the digital license. All it would really do is be a convenience to preload and have any day 1 patches ready to go.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It downloads any available patches as part of that initial install, so that's probably why it's taking longer than you think it would considering only the BD read speed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Downloading is faster than installing from the disk these days if you have good fiber.

Downloading, yes, but then the "copying" step takes longer than the actual download. At least with patches (because the patch has to be applied to the existing install, data moved around, etc), maybe not for the initial download.

Console processors and memory improve with each successive gen. Physical media drive speeds don't.

Blu-Ray read speeds have been largely the same since PS3 gen. Hence, why the PS5 does a one-time upfront install of all the disc contents.

Just run it for an hour while you take a big shit. It's not that big of a deal.

Top Bottom