• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why are the graphics so bad on Immortals Fenyx Rising?

downloaded it on my xsx since this was added to gamepass

I'm about 5 hours in. it's okay, I guess, but one thing I don't get is why the graphics are so shit? Valhalla, also released by Ubisoft, came out a few months before this game and looks 100x better

did they intentionally make the graphics look like shit so it would look more like BOTW or something?

really odd. Fenyx looks like a PS3 game.

Knightime_X

Fenyx Rising is just a Great Value Breath of the Wild game.
Game runs at 60fps so I don't mind the graphics. To me, they look fine.
Not the best, but just fine.

Hoddi

It's a popular aesthetic for whatever reason. Fortnite is the most obvious offender but it's also the go-to look for mobile games and CG cartoons.

I've yet to play the game but I'm betting there's at least one Dreamworks face in it.

Last edited:

The Stig

this literally reads like you're a 10yo child who thinks anything that isn't super high detail realism = bad graphics...

wtf?

this is a game that obviously goes for a 3d cartoon style. also it was designed to run on a Switch as well as the other consoles.
absolutely 100% right

OP, grow up

It's called "art style", it's highly subjective. Fenyx was beautiful and a fantastic game in general, enjoyed it so much that I got the plat. While I also finished Valhalla the last 40 hours (that alone is longer than most games) I kept wondering when the fucking thing was going to end. Origins and Odyssey are both superior AC's (only comparing the "new style" entries) and I'd argue *look* better too.

Last edited:

TexMex

Think it looks great personally. You’re also comparing a brand new IP to their flagship franchise. They also have entirely different art styles.

Idk - no one has more Ubisoft burnout than me, and I loved Fenyx. Got the plat, can’t wait for the sequel. Incredible game.

Reallink

IIRC it was originally supposed to be a Switch or Mobile game, then they decided to move it to o consoles/PC.

Filben

What are you specifically referring to? Shadows? Lighting? Reflections? Draw distance? Because I can't tell what's bad about it.

Are you referring to the art style? It's obviously not a realistic but stylized one, especially compared to Valhalla. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but that should have been clear from the screenshots and videos.

It seems more like you installed something you, pardon my French here, didn't know shit about.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A true mystery.

W8vwBES.png

This isn't me saying it's a "kid's game", by the way, I actually quite enjoyed Immortals for what it was and have no interest in 100 hours of Ass Cream.

I played the demo on my PC (GTX 970) and it was sluggish as hell. I thought you would be talking about that... But the art style? It looked pretty good in my opinion, and was a welcome breathtaking after Assassin's Creed Whatever.

ahtlas7

I played on PC @ max settings and it literally burned my rtx2080 to the ground. I had to rma the thing. Graphics aren’t the problem with this game.

Arcadialane

The game is technically decent, the artstyle is just awful. BOTW is technically a lot worse than fenyx rising, but looks so much nicer, and will hold up better

John_Ryder

Do you make a thread every time you don't like the graphics in a game? Also why are you asking gaf and not the developer? They're the ones who owe you an explanation.

GymWolf

Characters were horrible but the locations look what zelda botw should look on a decent hardware.

I really didn't had a problem with the graphic in such a game tbh.

Three

downloaded it on my xsx since this was added to gamepass

I'm about 5 hours in. it's okay, I guess, but one thing I don't get is why the graphics are so shit? Valhalla, also released by Ubisoft, came out a few months before this game and looks 100x better

did they intentionally make the graphics look like shit so it would look more like BOTW or something?

really odd. Fenyx looks like a PS3 game.
It's a game designed to run on Switch, a game that's about 2 years old now and can be found for about £7.

It isn't a big blockbuster budget game for PS/Xbox like AC Valhalla is.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
this literally reads like you're a 10yo child who thinks anything that isn't super high detail realism = bad graphics...
wtf?
this is a game that obviously goes for a 3d cartoon style. also it was designed to run on a Switch as well as the other consoles.
Too right.

"But its also made by Ubisoft who made Assassins Creed Valhalla how come it doesnt look like Assassins Creed Valhalla?"

Ubisoft also made Rayman.
What OP should be asking is how come Assassins Creed Valhalla doesnt look like this:
s5-a9b72a6158002e0c2c6a22b16bee1835.jpg

Its such a juvenile thread,

Kimahri

Banned
I'm sorry, what? Game is gorgeous. Especially in the green and lush areas. The barren ones not so much, but I think you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Saying this looks bad is like saying Encanto looks bad because it doesn't look as real as the new Avatar movie.

thegame983

The game is a delight both visually and to play. It's genuinely funny (Aphrodite's hornyness always amuses me) and I was able to make an attractive female avatar for myself.

Sure it's a BOTW rip off, but the combat is better imo.

Recommended.

Astral Dog

Real answer: its a Switch multiplatform release, and likely made with a smaller budget than other Ubisoft games like Assasins Creed, of course it won't look as pretty as current gen games, or many previous gen. Its basically an upgraded portable game

If you are talking about the Artstyle, then it appears they copied Breath of the Wild with Ubisoft hideous character design

Fbh

Of course one of their flagship franchises which they knew would sell a lot more got a bigger budget and nicer production values.
But aside from the ugly character design I think Immortals looks quite nice. It has a more cartoony visual style which fits and some really nice draw distance.

Where are the screenshots proving OP wrong?

There's probably better screenshots but from a 2 minutes google search:
eFPqfzo.jpg

Again it's not mindblowing but the cartoony visuals looks pretty good and it has some awesome vistas with long draw distance

R6Rider

Gold Member
I liked the art style overall except for the human characters. Overall did many things better than BotW too. I enjoyed my time with it and would buy a sequel.

Graphically it wasn't amazing, but it also wasn't bad by any stretch.

Raven77

Of course one of their flagship franchises which they knew would sell a lot more got a bigger budget and nicer production values.
But aside from the ugly character design I think Immortals looks quite nice. It has a more cartoony visual style which fits and some really nice draw distance.

There's probably better screenshots but from a 2 minutes google search:
eFPqfzo.jpg

Again it's not mindblowing but the cartoony visuals looks pretty good and it has some awesome vistas with long draw distance

Agree, there is not much bad about the graphics in this game. Not sure how anyone can argue this, just look at the screenshot. Nice shadows, lighting, draw distance, geometry.

Mess

When no one taught you to appreciaty quality even tho it's not your taste and you're stuck saying "graphics so bad" like a 6yo brat...

Top Bottom