• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who were the real Assassins (Creed) FAQ

5ewb5w_th.jpg

This is a simplified brief introduction to the fictional 'Assassins' designed to explain their motives and their creation. It is not intended to be a complete and full analysis of the historical political and religious landscape at the time.

Who were the real Assassins?

Known as the Hashshashin's (from where the word assassin is believed to originate) by their critics and Syrian neighbours, they were called the Fedayeen; highly trained sleeper commando's who'd infiltrate enemy positions and blend in. If their people became threatened with an attack, the Fedayeen were activated to prevent it. Despite their reputation from the Assassins Creed game, their preferred methods were not immediate assassinations but instead political threats and psychological warfare. Consequently, the majority of their victims were specifically targeted to be highly placed civilians who would wake up, in his supposed secure bed chamber, to find a Hashshashin dagger lying on their pillow.

What motivated the creation of the Fedayeen?

The Hashshashin's became a minority group after splitting from the Fatimid Isma'ili Empire - a minority themselves in comparison against the Abbasid Caliphate Empire. The split was triggered by a dispute regarding the succession of rulership of the Isma'il tribe, with the heir Nizar, ousted.

This breakaway consequently threatened their existence as they had no claim, no rights and no identity, outnumbered and entirely alone in enemy territory. But Nizar's supporters had a goal for not only themselves but the world entirely. They longed to create a utopian society, just and not dictated by religion despite being Muslims themselves.

Their size meant they could not mount a conventional army, a political neccessity in the 11th (and 21st) century to create any significant social change. They instead decided to adopt a tactic of converting local inhabitants in key-strategic areas to their particular-sect of the Islamic faith to gain support and build foundations for their utopian society. This demanded secrecy, and because of the lack of their military strength, planted their Fedayeen agents near to those in power (often as servants).

What exactly was the goal of the Fedayeen?

Their first and principle goal was to ensure the survival of their people and therefore their values. But whenever those values themselves were attacked in the form of greed, corruption and foreign domination, they acted. They had strong morals although did nothing to wane their reputation to be feared. It is important to understand however the Fedayeen were not vigilantes in the sense we know them as, this was not their priority, nor were they angels - they were the combat wing of a political sect.

Are there any notable references of them in history?

Yes. Saladin, the famous Sultan of Syria and Egypt, better known for his leadership of the Muslim opposition to the Christian Crusades, is noted to have been targeted by the Fedayeen although unsuccessfully. This goes hand-in-hand with the story of Assassins Creed in how the Assassins were manipulated to appear as enemies to the Islamic Empire and the Christian forces.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Insight on historical context has no room in the Gaming section.

grumble

Interesting for a few other reasons. There was a point where they did engage in assassinations of other varieties. The term 'hashish' is commonly believed to have come from the pejorative name for these assassins, some of whom engaged in drug use to achieve a spiritual pseudo-religious state, binding them closer to the Old Man of the Mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashid_ad-Din_Sinan). The assassins would sometimes then go and kill a target, only to return to their hideout and, rumour was, be ritualistically killed.

It was a badass sect. Subterfuge, a little death cult, lots of political power grabbing, some crazy ninja shit, badass.

Kowak

Banned
bought the game the other day(wanted to get ACII black edition so thought i might as well play the first one) and havent played it yet so have no idea what this is all about.

I've actually got a great book in my possession, called "The Templars" which has a bit of history regarding the Assassins and some of their political maneuvers during the Crusades. It's quite an intriguing read considering their ambiguity and political status. I also think I have a book somewhere about the assassins themselves; I'll have to dig it up.

This shit is always so interesting to read/discuss. Thank you for the OP, I didn't know those bits!

Cynar

wrong forum? While history is cool and all this doesn't really tie into the game, Ubisoft butchered a lot of history for Assassins Creed (amazing game) but yeah.. don't see this belonging in gaming discussion since this is about actual history.

watership

Cynar said:
wrong forum? While history is cool and all this doesn't really tie into the game, Ubisoft butchered a lot of history for Assassins Creed (amazing game) but yeah.. don't see this belonging in gaming discussion since this is about actual history.

Butchered is harsh. I can't think of any game, ever, that had as much historical accuracy or authenticity as ACII.

Well, aside from Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

Ephemeris

Despite the fact I found the above info interesting, I didn't hesitate to report the OP to my Templar associates.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Ephemeris said:
Despite the fact I found the above info interesting, I didn't hesitate to report the OP to my Templar associates.

The GOP is already aware. ;)

Top Bottom