• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins features Discovery Tour - Free roam, no story or combat

That's really great. There's just so much stuff to be taught about ancient Egypt, Assassin's Creed is a great template for this sort of feature. Then it can have both its historical inaccuracies needed for the plot and teach interested players the truths and facts.

daninthemix

This is awesome, considering it was always the worlds that were amazing about Assassin's Creed. The game part mostly sucked ass.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nice idea but i'm not buying the game if the PC version is shit.

Nazo

I LOATH Assassins Creed but I have to admit, this is super cool. Taking the opportunity to make the most of their setting to educate people on the real world history of the setting is fantastic and more power to them. I genuinely hope this mode is well regarded when it comes out and that we see it in more of the AC games going forward.

I would love this to be more of a thing in games. For those that have heavy story elements, give us a way to explore the world, select an object, and learn more about it (if there is a story created for said item). More and more in games, everything is connected in some way, and everything has a story.

I'd love to see games becoming like 3d virtual tours!

This sounds incredible and I would love for something like this catch on.

So many games have such well-crafted, interesting worlds that go underappreciated because of the way you play the game. Deep historical/fictional lore and backstory are hard to absorb when you're being attacked by everything in sight.

Berto

Great idea! I always skip the boring gameplay and story just to focus on the virtual tourism on the Assassin Creed games.

Mesoian

If this is well sourced and accurate, then this is the most exciting thing AssCree has done in years. Try to be an actual, factual teaching tool.

TheRed

The educational mode would've been great in Ezio games. People would learn that it was him who took down the Borgias. ;)
This reminds me of when I was a teacher assistant in high school for a history class and someone brought in a big detailed board with Ezio on it for a project. Teacher gave a big 0 on it and didn't even let him present, it probably had wrong info written on it too taken from the game I didn't read it. I was amused but felt bad because it looked like they put a lot of work into it.

This is honestly pretty cool. Wandering around as a virtual tourist is one of the best aspects of assassin's creed. My only question is what's the background music situation in this game? The music in say, AC2 really adds to the atmosphere as you wander. Unity and Syndicate were silent most of the time.

Rokal

Joining the chorus to say that this is super cool.

That they are adding semi-guided tours with some historical context is the icing on the cake. I would have loved to learn about historical locations like this when I was a kid.

Ahasverus

This reminds me of when I was a teacher assistant in high school for a history class and someone brought in a big detailed board with Ezio on it for a project. Teacher gave a big 0 on it and didn't even let him present, it probably had wrong info written on it too taken from the game I didn't read it. I was amused but felt bad because it looked like they put a lot of work into it.
lmao

Hexer06

That's actually pretty cool. I think I'll actually check this out when it comes out. Can't wait to play this game tho! Gonna look so good on the X. :D

Harlequin

What about them? What do you mean?

Well, when you bring up historical inaccuracies in an AC game, the go-to response for some people is that it doesn't have to be accurate because it's not supposed to be educational, it's supposed to be entertaining. However, I doubt they'll iron out the historical inaccuracies just for this Discovery Tour mode.

EDIT: I think this is a neat idea in theory but AC being an entertainment product, there'll always be that conflict between making things fun and palatable for a mainstream audience and making things accurate which, if you then include sth like this that actually claims to be educational, is bound to confuse and mislead people about certain historical facts and events.

This is great. It's not just for education, I really like being able to just take in the art and character design of these games without distractions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The main reason I play AC games is to explore the world and unlock the encyclopedia entries. This is exactly what I want from the AC series.

I wonder if the whole "educational encyclopedia" unlocks through normal game play as well

This is great. In fact it's changed the game from a maybe to a buy for me. I love exploring in the AC games. Spent more time wandering around and exploring in Unity than actually playing missions.

norm9

This is dope. Yhe educational stuff about the landmarks and locations were the best part of previous Ass Creed games. Minus the snark this time hopefully.

Well, when you bring up historical inaccuracies in an AC game, the go-to response for some people is that it doesn't have to be accurate because it's not supposed to be educational, it's supposed to be entertaining. However, I doubt they'll iron out the historical inaccuracies just for this Discovery Tour mode.

EDIT: I think this is a neat idea in theory but AC being an entertainment product, there'll always be that conflict between making things fun and palatable for a mainstream audience and making things accurate which, if you then include sth like this that actually claims to be educational, is bound to confuse and mislead people about certain historical facts and events.
The actual game will obviously have inaccuracies, but the educational part will come in additional information

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is dope. Yhe educational stuff about the landmarks and locations were the best part of previous Ass Creed games. Minus the snark this time hopefully.

Oh shit I didn't think of that. Please dear god don't try to make the encyclopedia "funny".

That's...actually really good. I'd love to just explore Ancient Egypt, and learning while you're at it is a bonus.

Plus, when the patch comes out in 2018 the price will have dropped dramatically, which is always nice.

TheJoRu

That's a good idea, the great world with beautiful scenery is usually the best part of AC, so it deserves a befitting mode.

Ubi are making all the right moves with this game. I wish all the AC games got this kind of TLC, it really sucks being an American and our only AC game was the worst one :(

Virtual Egypt looks so dope though. This is what I've wanted since I was a child playing that sand level in Mario 64.

Top Bottom