• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins features Discovery Tour - Free roam, no story or combat

Cleve

The historical tourism was always more interesting to me than the murder. I think this is a great idea. Though, as someone working in education, I wonder if they'd ever consider making this part accessible in a way not affiliated with the assassin name or content at all. It could be pretty cool.

Harlequin

The actual game will obviously have inaccuracies, but the educational part will come in additional information

So they'll make a new, more accurate character model for Cleopatra or a full-scale version of Alexandria specifically for the educational mode? Or do you mean that the text descriptions will point out that the game's depictions of them are inaccurate? (Which I somewhat doubt.)

(Please note that I don't think that the mode in itself is a bad idea - I'll probably end up using it myself. I just think that presenting it as an educational mode when it'll almost certainly end up including historical inaccuracies and factually incorrect depictions of people, places and possibly even events may not be a great idea.)

Toa TAK

Banned
Ubi are making all the right moves with this game. I wish all the AC games got this kind of TLC, it really sucks being an American and our only AC game was the worst one :(

Virtual Egypt looks so dope though. This is what I've wanted since I was a child playing that sand level in Mario 64.

ACIII was awesome, bro.

Plus, we also had Liberation and Rogue.

The games in the Americas (including ACIV and Freedom Cry) are the most interesting the series has been since the 1st one. Fumbled the story and characters with Unity, Syndicate was better but London didn't quite capture your imagination like war-torn France, developing colonies, or even Constantinople or the Ezio Trilogy overall.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!

Honestly, there have been a lot of times in Assassin's Creed games I just want to run around explore, but getting shot on roof tops, etc. has been really annoying.

strafer

This is genius, and this is something I've wanted for Alien: Isolation, there's so much stuff to explore in that game, don't really wanna do it with the Alien on my ass.

Canadian

That's a really cool idea. On a side note I wish more developers would add commentary about their game, like how The Orange Box did it.

Peru

Amazing. Exploring the cities, the geometry, the virtual world always appealed to me in Assassin's Creed. The combat and story didn't. This went from probable no-buy to pretty high on my wish list because of this.

Lulu23

I thought AC: Origins looks very bland and boring, then again I only played Black Flag because I wanted a pirate game and Unity because I loved the recreation of Paris in it.

This sounds very awesome though, and I think it makes a lot of sense for the series.

This should be a new trend in games, imagine Shadow of War having tours for different Middle Earth locations with nods and insight to books and stuff, or those games that take inspirations from other media like movies or books and show them in tours.

I'd totally play that.

sjay1994

Not a clue. MD character perhaps? I think it's meant to represent "us" as the player though

Please no.

Off topic from this mode, but I hope to god if there is a modern day protagonist, they are not meant to be an "extension of us", and is their own character.

The picture just seems like a "hey, lets explore egypt" type of deal for this mode, and probably has no relevance to the main game.

Please no.

Off topic from this mode, but I hope to god if there is a modern day protagonist, they are not meant to be an "extension of us", and is their own character.

The picture just seems like a "hey, lets explore egypt" type of deal for this mode, and probably has no relevance to the actual game.

Well we are getting a MD character.... but it deffo won't be "us" All speculation of course but everything points to it being 3rd person this time around. They've listened, they know what we want.

mazillion

What a great idea. Something like this would've never come out of an annualized Assassin's Creed game.

Man I have gained so much admiration and respect for Ubisoft as of late, I love everything they're doing.

RedSwirl

The edutainment in itself is a really cool idea.

Honestly, I think more open-world games should just have "tour" modes or "exploration" modes for people who just wanna explore the 3D space. Firewatch and No Man's Sky already do this for instance. I remember people asking why Assassin's Creed II didn't have anything like this because there were people who don't play video games but were still interested in its ambitious portrayals of Florence and Venice.

CHC

This is just totally amazing.

LOVE how it goes a step further than just being a "zero challenge" mode by actual including guided tours.

Great idea. Really seems like they have just gone all in on this game in terms of effort. That year-long AC break really seems to have helped.

The more I hear about AC Origins, the more I start to like Ubisoft again.

I can see History teachers becoming quite excited by these kind of features. It is becoming increasingly harder for teachers to grap the attention from teenagers, and having the gaming medium teach history is quite an interesting concept.

BouncyFrag

Very cool. Now I'm gonna need an Ancient Aliens guided tour because
ancient-aliens-season-seven-360x225.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's always an absurd amount of npc detail and behaviors in these games when you stop parkouring and just take in all the sights. So this mode is definitely a must see. Hell you can even teach students with this given how extensive the database entries are.

wouwie

I have lost interest in the AC games long ago but this sounds like an interesting and original idea. I’m more interested in purchasing this game for this than for the actual game. I wonder how in-depth and detailed this will be and how the guided tours will be presented.

What's this, a positive Assassin's Creed thread? Where are the pitchforks!?

Joking aside, this sounds amazing. I love ancient Egypt.

YES! This is exactly how I've played all AC games since AC3 after being let down by the story anyway =P But this is genuinely the series I show off to my girlfriend more than any other specifically because of the educational potential (she's a teacher) that the series holds, from the animus entries for historic landmarks, down to the way civilians mill about and engage in fairly accurate lifestyles.

+1 to a VR future for this mode too.

This is so great. AC's historical worlds are so rich and detailed, and it's awesome to see them put to use for wider audiences. Could be a fantastic learning tool.
This I want them to update EVERY AC game with this amazing idea.
Now that I know about this I want all AC games to have this option.

kami_sama

If you have it on PC, there's a mod that freezes the alien.

Ok, that's very good to know. I can't stand horror games, but I normally like the atmosphere and story.
I played SOMA with the non-lethal mod after all lol

On-Topic:
This is a great idea. To take in the story, the characters, the architecture, etc, without having any pressure is awesome.

Bahlor

What a great idea, was on a fence with this game but I guess I will buy it now. I can see myself putting more time into this mode than the actual game. Atmosphere and details have always been great in AC games.

Top Bottom