• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who let butbutbuthurt fanboys to become coward mods here hiding behind "Mod Team"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catvonpee

Nah, reading the ban justifications are a big part of why this forum is such a fun place, every time I browse NeoGAF I start exactly with the bans list, this stuff is priceless and often on par with some of the best posts on the board.
Yeah I love seeing when people get banned. Especially like this. What an epic meltdown. 😂

I think it is so funny that people get so mad about the other company they don't like. All of the companies have great games and are doing well. Get a life. 😃

Thebonehead

Banned
The mods are doing fantastic work, which IMHO should've been done like a year ago already. The last 3 pages of bans list is nothing but people who jump on each other in all the DF/NXG comparison threads, and always bring up XB/PS i non-related threads, who already had multiple warnings.

It's been long overdue.

Reading through some of the threads has been painful, having to deal with the monotonous warring from all sides. It really drags everything down.

Reading the bans pages has given me some sweet sweet schadenfreude as I revel in those man babies being bowled over like skittles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- GAF posts a thread about cutting back on antagonizing gamers with console warring
- OP posts old Phil Spencer thread trying to make him look bad
- GAF gives OP a warning
- OP wears his heart on his sleeves and tells the world what happened

Pretty obvious it wouldnt end well.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't agree with all the moderation decisions, but this crackdown has been long warranted.
Its late even, i know for sure there were regular posters who left the forum explicitly because they couldn't put up with these people mudding up discussions.

MrFunSocks

Banned
With the crackdown I could probably remove about 90% of my ignore list because they'll all be banned by months end. Many already are. It's fantastic.

Having said that, I was warned for console warring against the xbox in the Halo Infinite Tech Test thread simply because a few halo die-hards got their panties in a bunch because I was disappointed that they removed some movement from Halo 5, and accused of being a liar and not having even played the game, so I do agree that at least one mod needs to maybe slow it down a little bit. Apparently not loving Halo infinite enough means I'm a trolling Sony fanboy despite not buying a Playstation for the previous 2 generations. So yeh, a little bit more nuance is needed, but it's a step in the right direction. The forum had been insufferable lately.

Why is this a thread though? Also isn't the post you're describing straight up what's defined as a drive-by post? What does it contribute?
This is what I don't get. What does a post need to contribute? Isn't here a discussion forum? I got banned because I thought different. I"ve never insulted anyone,I just give my opinion and then they issue me a warning. Like I have to think the same as them or else I can't be here.

Aroll

I don't get complaints like this sometimes. Yeah, like any place in the world - be it here, reddit, the other place that shall not be named (I got banned there right quick for having an original opinion), youtube channels, twitter - people who moderate these places, some of them, will overstep a bit unreasonably at times, with some snarky remarks that feel just as "fanboyish" as the original remarks made in the first place. Yeah, Phil Spencer, when he talks publicly, is marketing his company and is going to spin every single thing as a positive. Sony does the same thing, and hell who can forget the spin Reggie Fils-Aime put on quite literally everything. It was practically memeable, and even Reggie has poked fun at doing it himself sometimes while doing it. It was fun.

Reality is, there wasn't really a good reason, besides console warring, to try and shit all over Phil Spencer for simply doing what he's supposed to do - market his products in a positive light. He did so with possibly a small white lie. Maybe. Only Microsoft has the numbers to know for sure. Question more is like - why did the OP care? At all?

I feel like they wanted to start a much larger conversation on mods overstepping - which we all know happens everywhere - but while skirting all responsibility for his drive by console warring.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah of course butthurt mods that have to ....Moderate childish petty behaviours and constant atacks between fanboys?
I mean have you seen some of the attacks and stupidity some people have posted here?It's not a surprise that the mod team would just say stop and frantically wave the ban hammers.
Of course I don't always agree with all the bans but I understand how tiring it can be and it is only a week of for most they can handle it.
But now I can't imagine anything else that people fearing mods like "Please don't ban me !!!!"

And the mods reaction :
ff1.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
With the crackdown I could probably remove about 90% of my ignore list because they'll all be banned by months end. Many already are. It's fantastic.

Having said that, I was warned for console warring against the xbox in the Halo Infinite Tech Test thread simply because a few halo die-hards got their panties in a bunch because I was disappointed that they removed some movement from Halo 5, and accused of being a liar and not having even played the game, so I do agree that at least one mod needs to maybe slow it down a little bit. Apparently not loving Halo infinite enough means I'm a trolling Sony fanboy despite not buying a Playstation for the previous 2 generations. So yeh, a little bit more nuance is needed, but it's a step in the right direction. The forum had been insufferable lately.

irony GIF

on multiple levels

I got issued a warning and I can't make threads until next year because I made a thread in December about Cyberpunk 2077 critizicing the horrible state of the game, bugs, incomplete, etc. I called it Cyberbug and just for that I got a.year of not being able to make threads.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think it's interesting. His initial post does seem pretty worthless, and worthy of deletion. At the same time, less worthless stuff is posted without deletion all the time, so I can understand a little frustration. He may have had a point to call out, by citing previous statements.
Whether I really care or not depends on the rest of his post history, which is no longer viewable. I'm really tired of fanboys around here who have nothing to add to the conversation. It's hard for me to look at the incident in a bubble.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The only reason I post here is because of free speech. The console warring here was/is insane but not sure if banning it will help. The rivalry is what makes it interesting too. Dunno. The obnoxious ones ruined threads, but nothing at all could neuter the forum.

Velius

Banned
It's not about "insert preferred corporate" it's about one-way censorship and muting members while protecting your favorite executives/platforms hiding behind the anonymity of "Mod Team".
It's not one way though. I've dumped on all the consoles in good fun- I get each one every generation so it really is just in fun. The mods do, to their credit, try to be objective. If you really think they're shilling for Microsoft it's an indication of your bias not theirs

MrFunSocks

Banned
I got issued a warning and I can't make threads until next year because I made a thread in December about Cyberpunk 2077 critizicing the horrible state of the game, bugs, incomplete, etc. I called it Cyberbug and just for that I got a.year of not being able to make threads.
I was banned from being able to report posts for life because I accidentally reported the same post from like bo or thelastword twice. Complete accident, no warning, haven't been able to report a post for the last 12 months and never will be able to lol. The button is literally not there anymore.

Doesn't bother me though, ignore is enough, and this crackdown has taken care of most of it.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Will this thread be deleted? Like EverydayBeast EverydayBeast thread? There were meaningful suggestions there before it was locked and now mysteriously deleted it seems? Unless thats what happens when a thread is locked

Threads are not deleted when locked. I contemplated locking this one but left this thread open so we can discuss it a bit. Mods are people too and we may not be perfect but there is no mod bias conspiracy I can def attest to that.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I was banned from being able to report posts for life because I accidentally reported the same post from like bo or thelastword twice. Complete accident, no warning, haven't been able to report a post for the last 12 months and never will be able to lol. The button is literally not there anymore.

Doesn't bother me though, ignore is enough, and this crackdown has taken care of most of it.

Best way to gain back lost privileges is to have a clean record and ask nicely. Currently you have open warning points. I would recommend to get past all your open warning points, keep it clean for a couple months then reach out to a mod. Generally that will do the trick.

I don't think it is, if he brings up related topic that has been discussed here before.

Someone clicked that link, read the thread and felt it was an attack. (How fragile is this guy?)
It's a drive by. It's a snarky drive by. He did not add anything meaningful to the discussion other than an attempt at a quick gotcha. Last few months you would probably have seen how threads just devolve into flame wars and usually those would start with a similar snarky comment. Hence the mod warning. Maybe his comment would have been tolerated prior to the mod warning, but definitely it won't be now.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Best way to gain back lost privileges is to have a clean record and ask nicely. Currently you have open warning points. I would recommend to get past all your open warning points, keep it clean for a couple months then reach out to a mod. Generally that will do the trick.
As my post just above that said, the warning I just received was a ridiculous warning for console warring that clearly never happened.

I was accused of being a Sony fanboy who was lying about playing the infinite tech test and was warned for console warring despite posting photographic proof that I had played the game. Also the fact that I don't have a PS4 or PS5 and have zero interest in pretty much every Sony first party game, yet here I was, warned for console warring in an xbox thread while literally only talking about the xbox game that the thread was about, that I was playing. I just didn't like it enough apparently lol.

I'd love for you to have a look in the thread and the post where I got my warning to see what I mean, and clear the warning as it is clear as day not deserved.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally, I think the missing element is just a tiny bit of effort into post creation. Whether that is reading for spelling errors, good vocabulary and grammar, adding additional video / picture / links to supplement your points, or just putting effort into a well explained new idea - that's usually the best defense against getting moderated. Even if you skirt the line closely a few times, if you actually put some content into the post - it makes it a little more palatable.

People should go back and look at posts on this forum from 2015 and earlier. The conversation level was just at a higher reading level. More effort put into posts on average. More effort put into OPs in particular. More people post from their phones than computers now, so that makes it a little more challenging and things change. But the best way to protect yourself is to just try to be a better poster.

I think if more people did that, then hopefully moderation could also relax a bit and leave some room for jokes and occasional shitposts, which we all like to do from time to time. But people do have to try and clean up the front page a little bit with just better content.

Loope

you have big balls to write the truth.

it is good that you got at least - ''bubububut noone'' whining from them, others getting childish and so immature for mods - ''wahaahaha'' respond.
it is clear as day that forum became xboxera 2.

just pray that Banjo64 will not come here, because where he goes, bans follows everywhere.
That persecution complex.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Personally, I think the missing element is just a tiny bit of effort into post creation. Whether that is reading for spelling errors, good vocabulary and grammar, adding additional video / picture / links to supplement your points, or just putting effort into a well explained new idea - that's usually the best defense against getting moderated. Even if you skirt the line closely a few times, if you actually put some content into the post - it makes it a little more palatable.

People should go back and look at posts on this forum from 2015 and earlier. The conversation level was just at a higher reading level. More effort put into posts on average. More effort put into OPs in particular. More people post from their phones than computers now, so that makes it a little more challenging and things change. But the best way to protect yourself is to just try to be a better poster.

I think if more people did that, then hopefully moderation could also relax a bit and leave some room for jokes and occasional shitposts, which we all like to do from time to time. But people do have to try and clean up the front page a little bit with just better content.
This is correct.

Many people left because the lack of any depth in conversation.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
looks like thes epeople each have had multiple warnings.

They all have. Bans were not given out lightly and we took their post histories into account when deciding.

No one likes console warring. It isn’t fun, cute, or light hearted. It drags down any conversation and makes it a chore to discuss/have fun in threads.

MiguelItUp

Guess yall have been busy the last few days lol
Right? Makes you wonder if said people even bothered actually reading the sticky.

Here's to hoping it all chills though, it has been seriously out of hand for a bit now. So many threads have completely derailed due to warring, it's exhausting, lol.

GG mods, appreciate you. :messenger_peace:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
As always when threads like this come up, I don't even know what you could *do* to be moderated unless you were intentionally stirring shit in the pot. My posting history is 78% shitposting and 22% stanning over Square Enix, and I've never gotten so much as a stern look from a mod. That some of you are so incendiary in your posts speaks volumes to the mindset at play here by a sordid few.

I LOVE MY PIECE OF PLASTIC, AND I VERY MUCH DISLIKE YOURS. YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

I've never owned an Xbox. Not OG. Not 360. Not One. Not Series S. Not Series X. I've intensely disliked every Halo match I've taken part in. The controller feels weird to me. You know what I don't do? Shit up every thread about it. Because at the end of the day, it comes down to preference, in a non-mandatory hobby. Some of you people act like this is the deliberation table at the UN. If you don't vibe with something, don't engage with it, or talk shit about people who do. This is incredibly easy behavior to master just past sixteen years of age. I don't give a fuck what any of you like or hate. It has no bearing on my interests or life. By the same token, if you like something I don't, congrats. I'm glad there's a product for people like you. It's that simple. Peace and love. Have a Coca Cola, they stop wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom