• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who at Xbox is responsible for this?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I miss the blades, but this is what happened when they did their mid-Gen refresh:
jO3P60L.jpg

I think that anytime I am paying for a service like Gold or Game Pass Ultimate, they should get rid of this shit.

Not the best mid-gen refresh.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Fuz

Banned
Xbox and online communities are all so fucking toxic and ruled by man childs that you need to be talked to like retarded kids.

This is just a good message, and they wasted one of their paid ad spaces to put that sentiment out there. There’s nothing wrong with this, people that have a problem with this are fucked up, there’s no agenda here they’re saying treat humans with respect.
You have no idea of what you're talking about.

This is loaded.

Rossco EZ

i think what OP means is that if someone is toxic or whatever i doubt they will see that ad and be like ‘oh i’ll just change, i was wrong all the time’. if you are a decent person, you’ll be a decent person. if you aren’t then you won’t be and that ad on the homescreen won’t change that.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Unlike Xbox. Ads can fill up the whole screen on the ps5. Dont understand the complaints Xbox gets on here, when ps5’s ad space is much more aggressive. Gaf is mostly ponies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

EOIg9EP.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bastardization of do unto others, likely to appeal to "modern sensibilities".
I dunno that seems like a stretch to me here, no one actually treats others as “they want” to be treated - on either side of the culture wars. If this was specifically referring to pronouns it did a terrible job of getting that message across. As it stands it seems like a harmless little phrase that means next to nothing - pointless to get upset about in any way

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It should have read, "treat others as you want to be treated"

Which came from the Bible

Which is probably why they edited it with current year they/them pronouns. 🤭
The bible also tells you nonbelievers are worthless and that you should destroy them do unto others?
I think the saying is ‘treat others as you wish to be treated’ - their message doesn’t even make sense.
It basically says all woman that a man finds attractive should sleep with them. I mean if that is how they want to be treated.

Daytonabot

Banned
I dunno that seems like a stretch to me here, no one treats others as they want to be treated - on either side of the culture wars. If this was specifically referring to pronouns it did a terrible job of getting that message across. As it stands it seems like a harmless little phrase that means next to nothing
Progressives are largely idiots who don't understand things like biology or economics. However, the one area where they are savants is twisting the meaning of words to make their narratives seem less ridiculous to people who don't stop and think.

DaGwaphics

"Treat others as they want to be treated."

VS

"Treat others as you would like to be treated."

Top quote is dumb. Bottom quote is correct.

So, if someone is the polar opposite of everything you believe in, you want them to be disrespectful to you because the things they say don't bother them?

Versus the alternative of them being somewhat mindful and realizing that you aren't them and maybe just avoiding being disrespectful and accepting that the two of you are different people.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So, if someone is the polar opposite of everything you believe in, you want them to be disrespectful to you because the things they say don't bother them?

Versus the alternative of them being somewhat mindful and realizing that you aren't them and maybe just avoiding being disrespectful and accepting that the two of you are different people.

You're not treating me the way I want to be treated. I am very special and want to be treated as royalty.

Try again.

The XBox quote encourages narcissism. The bottom quote unites people under a common understanding of baseline respect for everyone.

Kacho

fucking snowflake

Playing by the Platinum Rule​

You’re probably familiar with the “Golden Rule“ to treat others as you’d like to be treated. It’s good advice, but it doesn’t cover when someone might want to be treated differently from you. That’s why we’ve embraced the Platinum Rule at Xbox:
Treat others as they’d like to be treated.
But how can you know how others want to be treated?
  • Ask - If you’re playing with people you don’t know, have a chat. Get a feel for their sense of humor and how they like to play with others.
  • Show respect - If someone’s uncomfortable with something you say or do, respect that, apologize, and don’t do it again.
  • Keep it clean - When in doubt, play fair and keep your language clean and friendly.
Following our Platinum Rule is one more way to help make sure that players feel safe to confidently be themselves and are free from bullying or harassment.

Expand all

More tips for playing on the Xbox network​

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

I have no idea what you’re even trying to argue for, considering this saying is decades old.

Treat others as they want to be treated - what, so if some cunt says ‘I want you to rape and murder me’ I should just do it?

DaGwaphics

The bottom quote unites people under a common understanding of baseline respect for everyone.

It really doesn't at all. Because what you find normal, could very easily be offensive to someone else. The top quote is trying to get you to read the cues the other person is giving you and be respectful of them, the bottom is trying to get you to make a judgement on what is respectful based on your own beliefs.

You can be respectful of someone else's beliefs/culture/religion/politics whatever without capitulating to it or changing your own world view. While at the same time accepting that you aren't going to change their world view either. Especially in the context of gaming, focus on the game. All kinds of people should be able to play a game together without issue, or eat at the same restaurant or shop in a store.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There is an obvious context to the statement which I think you fully realize.
Xbox could probably post a message on their dashboard saying ‘kill your neighbour’s dog’ and you’d be here trying to tell us all we just don’t understand.

Reallink

You’re probably familiar with the “Golden Rule“ to treat others as you’d like to be treated. It’s good advice, but it doesn’t cover when someone might want to be treated differently from you. That’s why we’ve embraced the Platinum Rule at Xbox:
  • Ask - If you’re playing with people you don’t know, have a chat. Get a feel for their sense of humor and how they like to play with others.
  • Show respect - If someone’s uncomfortable with something you say or do, respect that, apologize, and don’t do it again.
  • Keep it clean - When in doubt, play fair and keep your language clean and friendly.
Following our Platinum Rule is one more way to help make sure that players feel safe to confidently be themselves and are free from bullying or harassment.

Expand all

More tips for playing on the Xbox network​

Golden Rule originates from problematic Jesus teachings which obviously MS can't have any part in. You will treat MAPs with the respect they deserve, so send them pics of your children now biggot.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It really doesn't at all. Because what you find normal, could very easily be offensive to someone else. The top quote is trying to get you to read the cues the other person is giving you and be respectful of them, the bottom is trying to get you to make a judgement on what is respectful based on your own beliefs.

You can be respectful of someone else's beliefs/culture/religion/politics whatever without capitulating to it or changing your own world view. While at the same time accepting that you aren't going to change their world view either. Especially in the context of gaming, focus on the game. All kinds of people should be able to play a game together without issue, or eat at the same restaurant or shop in a store.

Again, I DON'T want to be treated this way. I'm much more special than you realize and you're offending me with your words. Stop it now. Your words are causing me harm.

Do better and try again.

(Or are you just treating me the way you would like to be treated?)

DaGwaphics

Xbox could probably post a message on their dashboard saying ‘kill your neighbour’s dog’ and you’d be here trying to tell us all we just don’t understand.

I like dogs, so no I wouldn't like that.

Another poster laid out specifically what MS was talking about. It's extremely reasonable IMO., so I'm not going to argue against that.

I'm probably not interested in playing with players that are triggered by the above, I would essentially know enough about them to make that judgement already. LOL

GHG

fucking snowflake

Yes indeed, we do live in a snowflake society, hence people lap this stuff up instead of calling it out for the hollow nonsense that it is.

Somewhere along the line we've clearly lost our way. Instead of family and friends being responsible for instilling the correct and appropriate behaviour in those around them we now have corporations doing that for them. Corporations whom only want to do it in order to score points and say "we did good thing" - this is proven by how they police (or lack thereof) actions that should be deemed inappropriate in accordance with the very messages that they are pumping out.

But at the end of the day money talks, and if they were to ban everyone who they should then it results in them making less money. So alas, we need to settle on and embrace their constant virtue signalling.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The bible also tells you nonbelievers are worthless and that you should destroy them do unto others?

It basically says all woman that a man finds attractive should sleep with them. I mean if that is how they want to be treated.
This isn’t about a “Bible debate” but the etymology of the phrase and how they altered it to clown standard.

That's what we get when some people can't play nice. I pwned some kid in Destiny 2 the other day and he proceeded to send me a bunch of nasty messages. Told the kid to get a better attitude and then blocked him.

DaGwaphics

Again, I DON'T want to be treated this way. I'm much more special than you realize and you're offending me with your words. Stop it now. Your words are causing me harm.

Do better and try again.

(Or are you just treating me the way you would like to be treated?)

It certainly wouldn't be the first interaction I've had with someone who has an elevated sense of themselves. In which case I probably don't like you, and would limit my future interactions with you if I could. But, with that said I would still try to be respectful, thus I would avoid saying things that could hurt a fragile ego. Obviously we can't literally read other peoples minds, and that isn't what MS is asking you to do. They are just saying to try and get a feel for others and operate within that, and if you don't have a clue about the person, keep it friendly and clean (don't swear, avoid politics, religion, don't be rude, etc.). Basically treat them like you would if you were running a business and they were your customer. LOL

Last edited:

GHG

It’s a good message. Play modern warfare for a couple of hours and you’ll see why

Serious question, why don't they just ban (and by ban I mean a real ban like an IP or console ban, not just an account since someone is free to make a new account) all the people who should be banned instead? That way you're directly dealing with people who the message in the OP is there for.

Would that not be better for everyone? Would that not create real widespread behavioural change instead of some passive message that sits on a console homescreen.

kapshin

so this is what I see ... when i turn it on it instantly shows this screen and the three blocks on the bottom load in after. If thats what you are complaining about ... oh boy..

yBK89ex.png

You bought Gotham Knights, so you must have been treated like Oscar the Grouch.

I’m an alpha skip ahead member and in all my years on Xbox I’ve never seen a message or advertisement like what you’re describing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes indeed, we do live in a snowflake society, hence people lap this stuff up instead of calling it out for the hollow nonsense that it is.

Somewhere along the line we've clearly lost our way. Instead of family and friends being responsible for instilling the correct and appropriate behaviour in those around them we now have corporations doing that for them. Corporations whom only want to do it in order to score points and say "we did good thing" - this is proven by how they police (or lack thereof) actions that should be deemed inappropriate in accordance with the very messages that they are pumping out.

But at the end of the day money talks, and if they were to ban everyone who they should then it results in them making less money. So alas, we need to settle on and embrace their constant virtue signalling.

Serious question, why don't they just ban (and by ban I mean a real ban like an IP or console ban, not just an account since someone is free to make a new account) all the people who should be banned instead? That way you're directly dealing with people who the message in the OP is there for.

Would that not be better for everyone? Would that not create real widespread behavioural change instead of some passive message that sits on a console homescreen.

woosah-ears.gif

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They are probably trying to manage the toxicity associated with much of the online landscape.

I really doubt bothering people with those messages is gonna do the job. It is a hard thing to tackle. Perhaps they know that but are attempting to get their hands clean..

Reactions: GHG

diffusionx

Gold Member
How is « treat others as they want to be treated » a social justice message?
Because we are playing vidya. It has no bearing on the real world. Shit talk and all that. It’s part of the fun. Go back to the old 360 days, remember the messages and shit talking in game chat. I hate nu-MS so much it’s unreal.

Top Bottom