• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who at Xbox is responsible for this?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Eh, no thanks. Treat people with respect would be a better slogan. I won’t treat someone who identifies as e.g. cat or whatever as a cat.
And that's why they changed it. ;) I am not going to treat Twitter's "dear people" like dear.

It should have read, "treat others as you want to be treated"

Which came from the Bible

Which is probably why they edited it with current year they/them pronouns. 🤭

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

DONT SAY RANDOM NICE THINGS!
yoo wen GIF

Quasicat

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
I miss the blades, but this is what happened when they did their mid-Gen refresh:
jO3P60L.jpg

I think that anytime I am paying for a service like Gold or Game Pass Ultimate, they should get rid of this shit.

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.
To me that is cringe and completely in-touch, unfortunately.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is the problem now, can't take anything at face value anymore, especially not from corporations like this.

100%.

It's been that way for a long long time though. Not to get all woo woo and preachy but take a step or 3 back and look around: we're in a psychological war for our minds. Knowing this on principle alone can help you out so much.

If you think brands ie corporations have the best intentions for you is naive to say the least. Not talking to you friend just spitting facts in the abyss

Last edited:

Drew1440

People play games to be entertained, not to be lectured. It's like being back at school sometimes.
Think I'd rather have the Doritos adverts back instead.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
''As they want to be treated''?
How in the hell are some people here passing this as a good message? It's literally a recipe for disaster.
They are not seeing the play on words and how they changed out YOU for THEY.

Which goes back to this,
100%.

It's been that way for a long long time though. Not to get all woo woo and preachy but take a step or 3 back and look around: we're in a psychological war for our minds. Knowing this on principle alone can help you out so much.

If you think brands ie corporations have the best intentions for you is naive to say the least. Not talking to you friend just spitting facts in the abyss

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Xbox and online communities are all so fucking toxic and ruled by man childs that you need to be talked to like retarded kids.

This is just a good message, and they wasted one of their paid ad spaces to put that sentiment out there. There’s nothing wrong with this, people that have a problem with this are fucked up, there’s no agenda here they’re saying treat humans with respect.
Agreed. This isn't woke. This is just basic normal decent human stuff. I think this has been a saying since like ... Sumeria.

They tweaked it though from treat others as you want to be treated to treat others as THEY want to be treated which is a little weird when you can't read minds.

Last edited:

Jennings

klPK5KF.jpg

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.

Does PlayStation do this too? I know Nintendo and Steam don’t. Feels like every time I fire up my Xbox they’re promoting some cringe social justice message, like a few weeks ago when it was all about Pacific Islanders. Seriously, try googling Pacific Islander + Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo and see how different the results are. 😂

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
To be fair, if people didn't act like cunts Xbox Live chat might return to its former glory. My favorite multiplayer games were 1v1 games on Xbox classic where both players could just hang out and chat while they played, like Godzilla: Save the Earth, or other fighting games... and any other game with matchmaking instead of friends-only stuff. Nowadays everybody's a damn rage fiend if you aren't doing exactly what they tell you to do.

Simply treating people the way they wanted to be treated would go a long way towards fixing Xbox chat, and would be a nice first step.

Last edited:

Roberts

Your gamerscore is even worse than mine.
I don't understand these people who get over a million. That's a full time job.

I had 25k gamerscore in 2017 and I’ve been with xbox from the start. But then xbox one x came followed by gamepass and now I have 225k and I don’t even have all that much time to play. It’s mostly from indie games that you can finish in less than 10 hours.

How is « treat others as they want to be treated » a social justice message?
because the original message is "treat others as you want to be treated" implying its a way to get respect by giving it to others making things better for everybody, but written "as they want to be treated" its twisted as if its implying something like you have to treat them as they perceive or identify themselves as or something woke like that, with you getting nothing for it as your average "woke npc" expects when they twist games and movies with their ideology, tell you "its not for you", but still get angry when you dont go and buy the game or watch the movie, they want your support but hate you and are very clear about it

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They are not seeing the play on words and how they changed out YOU for THEY.

Didn't realize this. And doesn't surprise me. Corporations being social aware is business 101 so why wouldn't they. People ITT reacting as if it's a sincere philosophical/cultural stance MS has taken by way of this also isn't surprising.

Take a step back muppets and look at the broader agenda being played out. Hint: it's profit. No matter what. FFS

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Instead of this they just need to find out where all the assholes on voice chat live and call their moms.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It should have read, "treat others as you want to be treated"

That's not really that great of a message, tbh. That's saying that if you think something is okay, it's fine to just go with that. When in reality something you find acceptable might not be acceptable to someone else. That harmless message MS put up there is basically just advising you to use your head and try and maintain some mindfulness when interacting with others on Live, a service that spans the globe across numerous cultures.

The fact that something as simplistic as "treat others as they want to be treated" can trigger someone says way more about the triggered person than anything else. Especially considering that if everyone was abiding by this, said person would also be a beneficiary "being treated by others as they want to be treated". Is this not just a basic principle of interacting with others? If I'm interacting with someone and I see that certain jokes or subjects make them uncomfortable, I'm probably avoiding those things in the future or deciding not to interact with this person due to incompatibility.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's not really that great of a message, tbh. That's saying that if you think something is okay, it's fine to just go with that. When in reality something you find acceptable might not be acceptable to someone else. That harmless message MS put up there is basically just advising you to use your head and try and maintain some mindfulness when interacting with others on Live, a service that spans the globe across numerous cultures.

The fact that something as simplistic as "treat others as they want to be treated" can trigger someone says way more about the triggered person than anything else. Especially considering that if everyone was abiding by this, said person would also be a beneficiary "being treated by others as they want to be treated". Is this not just a basic principle of interacting with others? If I'm interacting with someone and I see that certain jokes or subjects make them uncomfortable, I'm probably avoiding those things in the future or deciding not to interact with this person due to incompatibility.
Nah. If someone wants to be treated like a toddler or an animal using the litter box, I am not going to adopt their worldview.

End of.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I dont know whats worse.

The Snowflakes who are woke.
Or
The Snowflakes who are absolutely Anti-Woke.

Cuz they both bitch about the most innocuous shit.

<--Bitching about innocuous shit.

DaGwaphics

Nah. If someone wants to be treated like a toddler or an animal using the litter box, I am not going to adopt their worldview.

End of.

To each their own. Certainly you have some control over the people you play games with, play with different people.

Forced conformity is the biggest problem with modern society IMO. And the ideology of "treat others as you want to be treated" can be a core pillar in that way of thinking. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

End of.

There's nuance regarding this, as I'm sure you're aware of..

I'm having J. B Peterson in mind in regards to the not so subtle difference between being forced to or able to operate from within your person and context in which YOU deem a certain way to address a person in a way that's socially and emotionally acceptable from within your reference point (positively) and not in a (forced upon) legislated way but a REAL person to person "respect" kind of way which is context depended.

If that makes sense. 😊

It's quite the deep dive so I'll stop at this point

Last edited:
Top Bottom