• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who at Xbox is responsible for this?

Danknugz

I have a feeling that MS feels the need to do stuff like this because there's so much sentiment out there about xbox gamers being chauvinistic/bros/incels or even alt right or whatever, and then people complain about the positive messages too, so it's kind of damned if they do damned if they don't.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s a good message. Play modern warfare for a couple of hours and you’ll see why
What else I find amusing is while playing MW2 we can shoot, knife, execute and even drop a nuke on people but you better not say something mean to them in the process

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It certainly wouldn't be the first interaction I've had with someone who has an elevated sense of themselves. In which case I probably don't like you, and would limit my future interactions with you if I could. But, with that said I would still try to be respectful, thus I would avoid saying things that could hurt a fragile ego. Obviously we can't literally read other peoples minds, and that isn't what MS is asking you to do. They are just saying to try and get a feel for others and operate within that, and if you don't have a clew about the person, keep it friendly and clean (don't swear, avoid politics, religion, don't be rude, etc.).

The quote is "Treat others they way they want to be treated."

You're instantly failing at Microsofts directive here as I've told you multiple times I want to be treated as a royalty with you as a subordinate. Your words are violence onto me.

Their quote is easily gamed and encourages narcissistic behavior in people.

There's a reason why "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is a concept embraced by many world religions and philosophies throughout the world and "Bow to other people's desires" is not.

The reeeee era of thinking doesn't stand the test of time.

Kokoloko85

How they want to be treated? ( maybe they want to be worshipped Or they want to be fed 10kg of food every day, or they want to be treated like shit )
The saying is, just be nice, treat people with kindness

DaGwaphics

They are probably trying to manage the toxicity associated with much of the online landscape.

I really doubt bothering people with those messages is gonna do the job. It is a hard thing to tackle. Perhaps they know that but are attempting to get their hands clean..

It's one of those things that probably doesn't help that much, but hey if a few people click on it and realize they might have been a dick to a few players here and there, good on them. If someone can read the "platinum rule" thing and see it as a challenge to the philosophy of their life, I don't know what to say to that. Person would probably be a fucking sociopath most likely anyway. 🤷‍♂️

DaGwaphics

The quote is "Treat others they way they want to be treated."

You're instantly failing at Microsofts directive here as I've told you multiple times I want to be treated as a royalty with you as a subordinate. Your words are violence onto me.

Their quote is easily gamed and encourages narcissistic behavior in people.

There's a reason why "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is a concept embraced by many world religions and philosophies throughout the world and "Bow to other people's desires" is not.

The reeeee era of thinking doesn't stand the test of time.

Again, they explain the context behind it. LOL

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you" and "Bow to other people's desires" can both be equally toxic in their own way. Fortunately, you'd have to be mentally ill to look at what MS is putting forward and see it as "Bow to other people's desires". They aren't asking you to submit to the desires of others, you are being comically literal with that take. Because again, this shouldn't be a one-way street, so how you want to treated should be figured in as well.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" at face value, but there are a lot of situations where you wouldn't take kindly to having it applied to you. Namely in a situation where the culture/beliefs being applied to you are deeply offensive to you, even if the other person accepts this treatment as normal and returns it to others.

We are talking about gaming and basic respect here. You might like making off color jokes, and enjoy when other users do the same, but someone else might not like that at all. This is a specific situation where "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" falters.

Last edited:
Wtf, what is there to bitch about?
This place is getting as bad as resetera. People getting offended over the most basic mundane issues and really should be congratulated. Getting bent over being a decent human to each other, what's wrong with people today?

Daytonabot

Banned
They are probably trying to manage the toxicity associated with much of the online landscape.
This is a perfect example of what my prior post was talking about. We've lost the words "phobic", "toxic", and "problematic", among many others.

Here's what their message should say: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Maybe these clowns' parents or teachers should have taught them that one.

Kacho

Gold Member
This place is getting as bad as resetera. People getting offended over the most basic mundane issues and really should be congratulated. Getting bent over being a decent human to each other, what's wrong with people today?
Even ignoring the corny virtue signaling, which to my dismay people are eager to hand wave or defend, the Xbox UI is cluttered beyond belief thanks to garbage like this.

93xfan

Banned
Treat others well

Gafer: how dare you?!

Literally a universal message that you can ignore if “treat others well” triggers you. Y’all just enjoy being annoyed. To the point messsges that baby shows like dragon tales would teach bother you.
It’s not even close to a universal message. The actual universal message is “treat others as you want to be treated”.

Telling people to “treat others as they want to be treated” is often done by the purple forums, that doesn’t care about calling you a nazi piece of shit if you don’t agree with them.

Now I want to be treated as though I’m 100% right and am a protected class for having this view.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

No one's offended. No one's bent. This is just basic disagreement on a message board by people who aren't currently interested in talking about God of War, or things game developers/ publishers say or sales threads etc...

I don't remember hearing anyone say "Treat others the way they want to be treated." It's interesting to discuss why.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Maybe it’s because a lot of people are asshats to one another in multiplayer games? I don’t know just a guess.

Not sure why this is a problem for you exactly.

How can I possibly know how another person wants to be treated?

If your gonna use philosophy to make your company look smart and thoughtful get your quote right at least.

DaGwaphics

How can I possibly know how another person wants to be treated?

If your gonna use philosophy to make your company look smart and thoughtful get your quote right at least.

We aren't mind readers, but through the course of playing a game with someone we can certainly get a read on things we are saying that are making the other player uncomfortable if that should happen, etc. It's also relatively easy notice what the other player is saying (are they trash talkers, or very buttoned up, etc.). It really isn't that hard to stick with just being polite until you get a sense of someone else's behavior, hopefully they would be doing the same for you.

bitbydeath

Unlike Xbox. Ads can fill up the whole screen on the ps5. Dont understand the complaints Xbox gets on here, when ps5’s ad space is much more aggressive. Gaf is mostly ponies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

EOIg9EP.jpg
That’s a US feature, outside of the US everyone only gets it in card form, only displaying in the card menu.

You should be able to configure what displays though, eg. it detected you own NHL23, and you can choose to disable ads from that game.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
klPK5KF.jpg

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.

Does PlayStation do this too? I know Nintendo and Steam don’t. Feels like every time I fire up my Xbox they’re promoting some cringe social justice message, like a few weeks ago when it was all about Pacific Islanders. Seriously, try googling Pacific Islander + Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo and see how different the results are. 😂

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
Fuck em' - cant lose then.

elliot5

How so?

What’s embarrassing about calling out obvious corporate virtue signaling? Remember silence is complicity, my friend.
Complicit over…… fucking what? Antibullying messaging? Get a fuckin grip. This isn’t the gamer Holocaust happening before our eyes.

mhirano

klPK5KF.jpg

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.

Does PlayStation do this too? I know Nintendo and Steam don’t. Feels like every time I fire up my Xbox they’re promoting some cringe social justice message, like a few weeks ago when it was all about Pacific Islanders. Seriously, try googling Pacific Islander + Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo and see how different the results are. 😂

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
This banner is called a ‘p*ssy filter’.
If you were triggered by this innocent message, you are a p*ssy and shouldn’t be playing online

Hurahn7

Banned
Is this an old head gamer thing? You know, overreact, over analyze, get fake mad, and rant about everything. People don't just turn on their Xbox, scan the dashboard for interest/important things, and get to gaming anymore?

Top Bottom