• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Soulsborne has the smoothest combat?

Soulsborne with the smoothest combat?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 74 39.6%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Dark Souls (franchise)

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't agree. It seems only well suited for boss sword fights which are almost all the same thing. Exploring the world is pretty trivial and feels like padding for the next sword fight.
Sure in Sekiro it doesn't have same sense of exploration like Elden Ring or even Bloodborne but if we are talking about combat for me its Sekiro. in all Souls games I always play as pure melee fighter and to me Sekiro has most smooth and fun melee combat.

Last edited:
Firstly, what the hell does ‘smoothest combat’ even mean? If we’re talking technical smoothness then BB is a frametime nightmare so it’s not smooth at all.

If we’re talking ‘best’ combat, I’ve played all of these games and it’s Elden Ring for me without a doubt. It mixes magic and physical combat really well and has definitely been the most fun to play, despite enjoying all of the games they’ve made.

I’m not sure why everyone gets so giddy for BB, it’s a really good game but I don’t get why it’s so beloved and held above all others.

ckaneo

Bloodborne.

I don't count Sekiro as a Soulsborne game. It just isn't.
Well yeah cause soulsbourne is a dumb name.

It's clearly a souls like. Which are basically difficult boss rush games. It's kinda silly to say Sekiro doesnt count. Just like when From makes their next one and it has slightly different mechanics but will still be a boss rush game it will still count

Vaelka

Tbh even Code Vein which was more of a budget title has smoother combat than the Souls games, it's just not their strength.

Sekiro and Nioh 2 come to mind too.
I know that Sekiro is from them too but I sorta view it as a bit different than Dark Souls for example.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
There is a very noticeable input delay in this game. You can search around and you will find several people complaining about it.

This is so great in game that makes rolling almost the only way to dodge damage, yet punishes you for falling for the bosse's delay attacks and punishes you for not pressing the button early enough to compensate the horrendous lag.

10/10, suck it up and smile.

Sekiro is far from perfect. Still has that shitty command buffer, input reading etc. BUT its way more responsive, fast, mobile... Not only feel way more fair, it's pretty intense and exhilarating like nothing else this past gen.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
bloodborne is winning
8b24be0b449268501795b2116256a3e4.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So enjoyed the short time I played Elden Ring on my Bro’s Xbox. I have not a switch. Is DS remastered a good substitute for me to get or not ?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So enjoyed the short time I played Elden Ring on my Bro’s Xbox. I have not a switch. Is DS remastered a good substitute for me to get or not ?

DS1 is still a good game yeah. Just keep in mind it plays a little more stiffly and there’s no open world. Rather its an interconnected set of levels.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Elden ring for sure with jumping and so on.
Dark souls 1 is slow and deliberate but no any directional movement
Dark souls 2 is faster and less boaty but the controls are snapping to 8 directions
Dark Souls 3 is peak ds controls. No snapping, good rolling
Bloodborne is weird since there is no rolling with lock on
Sekiro is fast
Elden ring is ds3 + sekiro

TheTurboFD

Sekiro and DS3 are the best in smoothness no questions asked. Idk how anyone can choose bloodborne over the rest in smoothness with the jank 30 and below FPS as well as the frame pacing issue.

YukiOnna

Sekiro is the only answer. I'm loving Elden Ring, but Sekiro isn't going to be matched here even with the several additions from that game.

They could add it to that level, but it would require an actual skill check from the general audience. They aren't the same genre though so I guess it isn't fair to compare.

Dr_Salt

what tv/monitor, what settings, what fps...
I've not felt that much lag
I'm playing on a 2K 144hz monitor on high. I have a 3070ti, 32gb ram and i710700 so I have no problem hitting the 60fps cap. I still feel the input lag compared to DS3. Its so bad it has forced me to use a shield when I never used them in souls games before.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm playing on a 2K 144hz monitor on high. I have a 3070ti, 32gb ram and i710700 so I have no problem hitting the 60fps cap. I still feel the input lag compared to DS3. Its so bad it has forced me to use a shield when I never used them in souls games before.
VRR should force monitor to 60fps and there should be no real lag. Strange.
I finished on ps5 and it played fine but I didn't measure anything

Banned
Its Sekiro easily.

Idk how people can vote for ER when the game has awful input lag. Feels like a big step back from DS3.

that is not input lag, this is a deliberate animation delay all souls games have. it's part of the design/balancing.

every other action doesn't have this. try for example to block or do a fast stick move to the side, the game will instantly react to that.

the roll in souls games is delayed on purpose and has it's very own and very specific timing you need to get used to and master. after you are used to it it feels great.
Souls boss fights are very rhythm based, in fact the Dancer in DS3 is often seen as a very hard boss because it is one of 3 bosses in DS3 that works in a 3/4 time signature and not a 4/4 time like all the other bosses, which got people really tripped up with their dodge timings

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

that is not input lag, this is a deliberate animation delay all souls games have. it's part of the design/balancing.

every other action doesn't have this. try for example to block or do a fast stick move to the side, the game will instantly react to that.

the roll in souls games is delayed on purpose and has it's very own and very specific timing you need to get used to and master. after you are used to it it feels great.
Souls boss fights are very rhythm based, in fact the Dancer in DS3 is often seen as a very hard boss because it is one of 3 bosses in DS3 that works in a 3/4 rhythm and not a 4/4 rhythm like all the other bosses, which got people really tripped up with their dodge timings
Like I said I have played and beat DS3. The roll does not feel the same. I am in no way a souls pro but I did beat the Dancer on my first try and I beat Gael which is also a dodge heavy boss fight on my second try. I had 0 issues with how the roll works in DS3.

Banned
Like I said I have played and beat DS3. The roll does not feel the same. I am in no way a souls pro but I did beat the Dancer on my first try and I beat Gael which is also a dodge heavy boss fight on my second try. I had 0 issues with how the roll works in DS3.

the roll in EVERY souls game is delayed like this. I know this, this is a fact you can easily check

SeraphJan

Nioh 2 > Nioh 1 > Sekiro > Bloodborne > Demon's Souls > Rest

Nioh games, needless to say, Team Ninja knows their shit

Sekiro, Very smooth in terms of everything

Bloodborne, Dodge speed and recovery is fast

Demon's Souls, weapon typically have faster attack speed compare to later games, the best example is Halberd

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

the roll in EVERY souls game is delayed like this. I know this, this is a fact you can easily check
Nah bro, the roll in this game has input lag not present in the others. Its not just me there are alot of people that have also noticed it. Just go to the elden ring subreddit and search for input lag and you will find countless threads talking about it. Like I said idk if its done on purpose or not, for all that I know From might have done this to make people rely less on rolling.

Banned
Nah bro, the roll in this game has input lag not present in the others. Its not just me there are alot of people that have also noticed it. Just go to the elden ring subreddit and search for input lag and you will find countless threads talking about it. Like I said idk if its done on purpose or not, for all that I know From might have done this to make people rely less on rolling.

there are people on the subreddit because they are new to the series as Elden Ring sells like crazy and are reporting on this, if you are such an expert you most likely own DS3 and can simply test this. maybe pull out your phone and film both button presses, one in ER one in DS3 and we will see

edit: just for reference back with DS3 on the steam forums
Roll delay?
Anyone else notice that there is a slight delay when you roll? About 1/3 of a second for me, its especailly annoying since it makes dodging attacks trickier. Did anyone else notice something like this? Also, it only happens for rolling or backstepping, never for attacking or casting

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Sekiro. A lot of people will vote Bloodborne because they like the game so much, but the combat design, the agility and dodge/parry of Sekiro, is the slickest gameplay FromSoftware ever did.

Last edited:

Banned

to hammer it home, here a guy on PC (lowest latency of all versions) shocasing the roll with a button overlay so you can clearly see the delay

and again, this is in EVERY Dark Souls

the reason this exists is because HOLDING the dodge button = sprint, meaning that the game can not start a roll as soon as you press the button. it first has to make sure you aren't holding down the button

the fastest he rolls in this video is 7 frames, that is when he presses and releases really fast, that means 7 x 33ms (it is a 30fps video) so ~231ms of latency for a normal roll a normal player does.

meanwhile his camera movement reacts within 1 to 2 frames of him moving his stick on the overlay. that is 33 to 66ms of delay (which is really fast for a 60fps game)

edit cuz wrong math before

Last edited:

Raven117

I think its Bloodborne. Just had such a cool flow to it.

Seikro is good as well, but its my rythm and punctuated.

I'm not sure why everyone gets so giddy for BB, it’s a really good game but I don’t get why it’s so beloved and held above all others.
The low cost of rapid movement, instant follow up attack after dash, and the fully charged attack usually having extra range, armor properties, high damage modifier, and visual/audio indicator are all very satisfying. Part of it has to do with the low poise of most enemies as tanks are boring to fight but very frequent in every other title. The gun parry is probably the easiest of any game. Visceral attacks are sadly not as satisfying as a backstab or riposte in the other titles.

P.S. Sekiro just has the most satisfying retreats.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

to hammer it home, here a guy on PC (lowest latency of all versions) shocasing the roll with a button overlay so you can clearly see the delay

and again, this is in EVERY Dark Souls

the reason this exists is because HOLDING the dodge button = sprint, meaning that the game can not start a roll as soon as you press the button. it first has to make sure you aren't holding down the button

the fastest he rolls in this video is 7 frames, that is when he presses and releases really fast, that means 7 x 33ms (it is a 30fps video) so ~231ms of latency for a normal roll a normal player does.

meanwhile his camera movement reacts within 1 to 2 frames of him moving his stick on the overlay. that is 33 to 66ms of delay (which is really fast for a 60fps game)

edit cuz wrong math before

Can't fathom how anyone picked 25fps Bloodborne. We won't know until we get a proper version. I bought it to play on my daughters PS4 and couldn't get past the frame rate. And I'm an absolute FROM fanboy extraordinaire. Sekiro is the answer. Still the only FROM game that I can use the parry in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom