• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Soulsborne has the smoothest combat?

Soulsborne with the smoothest combat?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 74 39.6%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Dark Souls (franchise)

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

Y0ssarian

Banned
vuhxe7Q.png

slade

Sekiro. Bloodborne is much like Elden Ring, held back from true greatness by its technical shortcomings. It's why every one wants a next gen port that fixes its issues.

Hinedorf

Banned
There's 3 groups of people who will actually vote. 1: Bloodborne fanatics who aren't really From fans but will vote BB if ever present. 2: Objective people who either have played some or all From games. 3. From fans who like all From games but still have a unique opinion which still may be biased towards BB.

I see a whole lot of #1 type of voters with very little context to their reasons. Off the top of my head when I thought of smooth combat my vote went with BB. It's a very ambiguous statement to make people vote on.....BB is surely the choice if we're just talking random thoughtless actions in combat. In truth if you're actually good and can master the timing without a doubt Sekiro is the smoothest From game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nioh 2 probably.

Not to diss FROM's combat, but Team Ninja's approach to weapon and stance switching just flows so much more smoothly.

Soulsborne combat is great but I've always found it quite methodical, the only real variance is the speed at which you need to perform your steps.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s all pretty much the same except Bloodborne doesn’t have block.

The main issue with this question is you will always get PS fanboys voting BB even if they never played any of the games.

mxbison

Sekiro had the smoothest but relied to much on parry IMO. It was pretty much a parry simulator and there wasn't really another way to beat bosses.

I think Bloodborne had the overall most enjoyable combat.

Sentenza

Sekiro had the smoothest but relied to much on parry IMO. It was pretty much a parry simulator and there wasn't really another way to beat bosses.
I've seen this claim made multiple times and I have to call bullshit on it.
Blocks, dodge, Mikiri-counters, evasion jumps, offensive posture-breaking double jumps, kicks and other shit... There's no way the combat in Sekiro can be dismissed as a "parry simulator", especially when the comparison point are the other FS games.

It’s all pretty much the same except Bloodborne doesn’t have block.

The main issue with this question is you will always get PS fanboys voting BB even if they never played any of the games.
In what world where do we live in where green rats can suggest playstation fanboys have the least informed opinion on the Soulsborn genre? :messenger_tears_of_joy: The real problem with this question is you will get xbox or pc fanboys people voting without ever playing BB or Demon Souls, where as most Fromsoft ps fanboys have played all of them... See how that works?

SkylineRKR

Sekiro. The traversal and combat is a notch above.

Its a parry game yes, but by depleting the health gauge also when given the chance their posture won't restore as quickly. Which means you will likely end up winning if you also keep doing damage inbetween.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I like Bloodborne best as due to the ranged weapons a failed parry doesn't necessarily ends up in you being hit. I mean, I REALLY dig parrying but am mostly terrile with my timing, so I usually don't bother too much with this in other Souls game and just go for the backstab.

Haggard

Banned
If we`re talking about "smooth" then everything else looks downright clunky compared to Sekiro`s "flow-based" combat. One could argue that Sekiro uses a completely different combat system, though.
Strictly speaking about classic Souls-combat I´d say it`s a tie between Bloodborne and Elden Ring.

Banned
Bloodborne.

I don't count Sekiro as a Soulsborne game. It just isn't.

I also would never put Sekiro in this category as it lacks basically all the standout mechanics of a Souls game. it's way more of an action stealth game than anything souls related.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro hands down for me, I'm loving Elden Ring but Sekiro has best combat FROM ever made.

Sekiro hands down for me, I'm loving Elden Ring but Sekiro has best combat FROM ever made.
I can't agree. It seems only well suited for boss sword fights which are almost all the same thing. Exploring the world is pretty trivial and feels like padding for the next sword fight.

Top Bottom