• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which one will have the bigger cultural impact? TLOU show or Mario Bros movie?

Which one will have the bigger cultural impact?

• Total voters

MayauMiao

Mario already had cultural impact a long time ago. The movie is just the result of that.

Seem silly to think that you need a movie to make some cultural impact

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
The IP itself? Mario. I mean, it was part of the Olympics. You can't get more culturally significant than that.
As for the show and movie? The Last of Us. Because it proves it had not business being a videogame.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh, seems more like they're part of the cultural impact of TWD and er Disney or Pixar or something accordingly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think you are jumping the gun if you think TLOU will have any cultural impact. It is just another zombie show in a long line of zombie shows. Its nothing more than riding the waves created by shows like The Walking Dead.

Mario also won't have much cultural impact.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh come on... TLOU is no different than any other serie, it will stop being talked once it ends and will be talked for a little to shit on PC gaming once it comes out there

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't it just one scene in one episode?
Yeah and it was token movie style just kissing and foreplay type stuff then fade out and it's morning after the deed or something like that iirc. Unless I fast forwarded it due to family being around or something, lol. Great ep either way.

Last edited:
TLOU went by with nary an impact. Maybe it'll pick up some awards but no-one gives a shit about that any more. All Mario has to do is have some lines or screenshots turned into memes and it'll have a larger cultural impact than TLOU.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
TLOU is a good series, but at the end of the day it's just another zombie topic (yes, i know they are infected) and it's adults only while there is only one Mario that is well known an beloved since decades by people of all ages. You will still talk about Mario in 20 year, not sure about TLOU. If the movie turns out to be good the answer is Mario for sure.

Last edited:

RaduN

How can Tlou have any significant cultural impact, when a (more original and better) zombie show like The Walking Dead already had like 50 seasons?

What's there except some memes?

Mario is already a cultural mommoth. I mean, even my 80 yo aunt knows about it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
TLOU is a pretty decent TV show based on a decent game series. Nothing special and only appealing to fans of the game series. My wife tried watching it and just came away thinking it was a Walking Dead rip off. I actually think the Walking Dead will be more remembered than TLOU.

Mario has been a household name for decades. Even if this film bombs, it'll still be more impactful than TLOU.

Whitecrow

Banned
Cultural impact? I dont think cultural impact is something a Mario movie can make.
But quality wise the Mario movie will blow TLOU out of the water.

At least, it looks like it have been made with love and respect for the IP and its audience. Which TLOU did not.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cultural impact? I dont think cultural impact is something a Mario movie can make.
But quality wise the Mario movie will blow TLOU out of the water.

At least, it looks like it have been made with love and respect for the IP and its audience. Which TLOU did not.
Mario is a cultural impact that’s been around since the mid 80s.

TLOU is zombie show #1344234

DelireMan7

I am seriously biased because I just hate Mario since years but who care for a Mario movie ?

I don't even see the point of it. Looks cringe and "useless" to me.

It's just a fan service film that will be filled with Mario reference/joke.

Last of Us show reached a non gamer public and might introduce some people to the medium. Also it was a pretty good adaptation overall (while not perfect). Open the door for more.

Virex

Banned
Mario has already had a cultural impact world wide for many years. No one know what The Last Of Us is outside of gaming circles. Everyone knows who Mario is.

Show people a picture of Joel and Ellie and they won't have a fucking clue who they are. Show anyone a picture of Mario and they will instantly know who he is.

Last of Us represents everything wrong with this world: Sodomy and filth. Mario on the other hand is just fun and no identity politics tied to it and secondly no sodomy and filth.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Mario purely because of the potential audience size of the inclusion of kids/families is far far far larger than an R rated horror zombie TV show

Teletraan1

Banned
Mario probably has broader appeal. Will the Mario movie spend 1/9th of its runtime exploring characters that don't really interact with the main cast so they can get less expensive DIE loans from defunct banks. Only time will tell.

Fbh

I don't exactly know what you mean by "cultural impact".

The Mario Movie will make more money and have a bigger audience but I don't think it will have any major impact on the popularity of Mario.
While TLOU won't have as big of an audience, I think it has done a good job in bringing the franchise to a new set of people. Just anecdotally I've heard from lots of people who don't play games and weren't aware of TLOU but who are enjoying the show. I think it also sets a good precedent that you can find success with a live action adaptation of a videogame on a premium TV network.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The thing I am always surprised about is how small the audience is for HBO outside of stuff that breaks through like Game of Thrones. Like, 8 million people watched the last episode, which is a huge number by HBO standards. Yet more people than that watch a big movie like Top Gun Maverick or Avatar in the first weekend. So I think a lot more people are going to watch Mario.

Elysion

Banned
Will TLoU be more remembered than The Walking Dead in the long term? I kinda doubt it, if only because TWD did the zombie drama thing first, even if TLoU is better written overall.

A 3d animated Mario movie on the other hand is something people have been waiting for since the 90s, and I expect it to be the big thing on social media for several weeks, even more than TLoU. Though I don’t think the Mario movie will have much ‚cultural impact‘ in the long term either, mostly because Mario is already as big and well known as he can be.

In short, I don’t expect either to have any long-lasting cultural impact.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Mario is already a household name, the movie won't do much to change that. Especially considering the studio, I don't think it will be that much or a phenomenon either.

SoraNoKuni

Completely different demographic, I would say TLOU but I am pretty sure the mario movie will be an unprecedented in box office and amount of figurines sold worldwide, it will also shape the newer generation of gamers.

TLU has cultural impact?

At all?
If you meant TLoU. Biggest. Medium is officially taken more seriously by Television market at this point on. By consumers and executives alike.

It after HBO won TLoU. Other streamers starting going after Playstation’s other IP. I expect a huge uptick in videogame adaptions with proper budgets, rather than the extremely cheap looking content before then.

People who don’t play games are seeking the game. Top of sales charts.

LMAO. Freaking Twisted Metal and Grand Turismo.. 😂

Oh come on... TLOU is no different than any other serie, it will stop being talked once it ends and will be talked for a little to shit on PC gaming once it comes out there

And the Super Mario movie won't? TLOU will spawn multiple seasons, and has succeeded in attracting people that are not familliar with the IP. Mario is an already well established, universally beloved franchise, so the film will not move the needle one way or the other.

Last edited:

Majukun

none?i mean TLOU tv show it'd a good tv show in the age of good tv shows...the mario movie is a light hearted cg flick with very little pretense..none of the two will leave any everlasting mark.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Mario. I mean how is that even a question. Every kid and their mother anticipating that movie and even if it bomb in reviews it will still make a better impact than a zombie show.

Top Bottom