• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which has the better console exclusive library: Xbox 360 or PlayStation 4?

Better console exclusive library?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are almost 3 year into the new generation of consoles and the PS4 is soon to see the end of its life.

After the Xbox 360 was considered the dominate console for game library during it's run, this was switched over to the PS4 the last generation. Now is a good time to compare which libraries people liked the most for the base consoles.

When looking at core console exclusives did you prefer the Xbox 360 or the PS4's library?

Xbox 360:

E20I5w6.jpg

PlayStation 4:

7NTEaOV.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Seems like titles might be missing. I don't see Everybody's Golf on the PS4 side and EDF2017 on the 360 side.

360 has better exclusives than the PS3 and 4 combined.
My Cave collection says hello.

Imports certainly give the 360 a better argument. This too:

1200px-TGM_ACE_boxart_scan.jpg

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The Xbox 360, and for me it is not even close. The Xbox 360 had Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Reach, Lost Odyssey, Fable II, and Fable III. I sank so much time into these games. The PS4 had some great games (like the underrated Days Gone), but their exclusivity lineup did not hold a candle to what I got out of the Xbox 360.

Paperclip Killa Paperclip Killa , don't let the people in this thread get you down. I think it's a great thread. It's not about the console, but about the quality of the (exclusive) game library. And because it's two different generations, it makes it more interesting to think about. I loathed the Xbox One, but I never considered how the Xbox 360 game library held up for me in comparison to the PlayStation 4 library.

Last edited:
Hot take. PS3 had better exclusives than 360.

No, it’s an asinine take. FFS, the PS3 didn’t even have the best RPG or Final Fantasy game that (Lost Odyssey), or best racing games (Forza and Forza Horizon easily trounce that gen’s Forza and the Motorstorm games, and let’s not forget PGR 3).

As for the PS4, I’d still take the 360’s lineup, hands down. It was innovative for the time and drug Sony kicking and screaming into online play. Or have people forgotten what a clusterfuck the PSN was during the PS3 era…

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No Question, Xbox 360 for me.
PS4 was the only generation I ever had a PlayStation so I can actually compare them. I was underwhelmed by the Sony games that I'd always heard were so great. TLOU was ok and I loved Horizon Zero Dawn and that's it.

I'm sure they are great games to Sony fans they just weren't the type of games for me. The 360 had Halo, Alan Wake, Condemned, Gears, Oblivion, Mass Effect,etc, etc. those are the types of games I love.

No, it’s an asinine take. FFS, the PS3 didn’t even have the best RPG or Final Fantasy game that (Lost Odyssey), or best racing games (Forza and Forza Horizon easily trounce that gen’s Forza and the Motorstorm games, and let’s not forget PGR 3).

As for the PS4, I’d still take the 360’s lineup, hands down. It was innovative for the time and drug Sony kicking and screaming into online play. Or have people forgotten what a clusterfuck the PSN was during the PS3 era…
PS3 was way better. Three Uncharted games, The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4, two Infamous games, Ratchet, etc. Honestly, it wasn't even close.

It was a slow start, but by the end PS3 lapped 360 a few times, especially after stuff like BioShock and Mass Effect came to PS3.

Lost Odyssey was great though. Fable? Not so much.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS3 was better than both PS4 and Xbox 360.

360 from 2005-2010 was absolutely amazing. Gears, bioshock, halo 3, halo reach, mass effect 1, mass effect 2, fable 3 (fuck you i love that game)... just an incredible lineup. Better than PS3, but then PS3 ended really strong while MS phoned in 2011-2013. I couldnt believe the kinect trash they were putting out. Halo 4 was a disappointment, and Gears judgement felt like a DLC expansion. the rest was trash. meanwhile PS3 just had an incredible 2011 and 2013, and even the disappointing 2012 had some unique and quirky games like journey, twisted metal, ps all stars and starhawk. if thats your worst year of the gen then it has to be incredible gen.

Last edited:
I'd rather malfunction than suffer through a game designed by Peter Molyneux.
I'll have to disagree here - Yes, Peter Molynuex may have went a bit nutty towards the end and ended up being somewhat of a pathological liar but the original Fable and it's sequel were fantastic games. They had their downfalls sure and undelivered promises, but it spawned a great franchise and I can't wait too see the reboot that Playgrounds is working on. Fable is near and dear to my childhood heart imo.

Black and White was also phenomenal, but sadly the dude's gears started going a tad crazy and that was his downfall.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Fable sucked dick.

I loved my 360 but I believe the PS4 had overall better games.

With that said, I got my PS4 day 1 and there was a period of 1-2 years or so where there were no games for it, so much so I ended up buying AC black flag day 1 lol

Last edited:
Fable sucked dick.

I loved my 360 but I believe the PS4 had overall better games.

With that said, I got my PS4 day 1 and there was a period of 1-2 years or so where there were no games for it, so much so I ended up buying AC black flag day 1 lol
it was pretty much same for PS3 I feel like Motorstorm was the only good game with Resistance until 2007 with Uncharted and 2008 is really where PS3 started hitting its stride with GoW 3 and Ratchet & Clank. Twisted Metal was awful unfortunately imo.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'll have to disagree here - Yes, Peter Molynuex may have went a bit nutty towards the end and ended up being somewhat of a pathological liar but the original Fable and it's sequel were fantastic games. They had their downfalls sure and undelivered promises, but it spawned a great franchise and I can't wait too see the reboot that Playgrounds is working on. Fable is near and dear to my childhood heart imo.

No. He was on that bullshit with the original Fable. Plant a seed and watch it grow. Promise, overhype, and the deliver remarkably shallow systems.

Some of best Xbox 360 exclusives were all timed for a pretty short duration. MS has been good with this sort of stuff since a long time. (BioShock, Mass Effect etc).

Games releasing on more systems is a win for everyone.

SeraphJan

Comparison like this without any criteria it boils down to personal taste.

For me, the PS4 line up is more memorable, 360 do have stuff I like, but less in total numbers.

The game you've list on 360 side, I love Gears franchise, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Fable 1&3 (not a fan of 2), Tenchu Z (underrated imo) and Kameo, but since I'm not a huge fan of Racing, Sports, or Multiplayer games, many of others on the list are not appealing to me

PS4 on the other hand focus more on single player experience, that I preferred more. I'm a fan of memorable characters and stories, games like Last Guardian and Shadow of Colossus are just unforgettable, not to mention all the other great games from PS4 library.

Last edited:
The 360 exclusive library is highly overrated. Most of the games I thought made the system special went over to the PS3 eventually. Mass effect series, Bioshock, Oblivion, etc. The Xbox 360 would've flopped hard if Sony didn't screw up the PS3 launch.

If the PS3 launched on time, was the same price as the 360, and easier to develop for that would've been the end of the Xbox brand. Big name Japanese games like FF, RE, Street fighter, MGR, Bayonetta, etc would've probably remained PS3 exclusive. No way Microsoft would've been happy with losing a lot of money on the original Xbox and losing even more with the RROD.

MS couldn't justify spending 3+ billion dollars on RROD while having a small market share. Especially at a time MS wasn't all in on Xbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom