• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which has the better console exclusive library: Xbox 360 or PlayStation 4?

Better console exclusive library?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck are you and what have you done with my B bluecowboys ?! :messenger_angry:
I am a fan of the original Xbox and Series consoles for its exclusives/up coming exclusives.

I thought Xbox one was good with game pass, one x, Xbox live, and controller being my preference.

360 I thought was good too with a way better online experience, better controller, and much superior multi platform games.

But I never liked Microsoft first party or it’s exclusives that much after the original Xbox until now.

Mainly because MS bought Bethesda games, Obsidian, and Inxile which I think make better games than Sony or Nintendo.

light2x

I mean by that logic, 360 only has like 6 exclusives, Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, and a couple others.

Ps4 not only has a lot, they have a lot of high end respected ones that people do play and know. Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, inFAMOUS, Spiderman, Nioh were all great experiences. But they also have other high end ones that are loved like Gravity Rush, Persona 5, Yakuza 6, and yes even Knack. And all of those rate incredibly well. Don't forget the slew of games for niche crowds like FFXIV, Medieval remake which I loved, Tons of visual novels, The Neptunia Series, Atelier games, Concrete Genie, Dreams; the list goes on. In fact, several games listed as 360 exclusives were later brought to PS4 like Tales of Vesperia.

"Xbox 360 introduced Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War which ended up becoming huge franchises and some of my personal favorites. Alan wake not bad either"
Except Mass Effect is on PS3. Bioshock is as well. Introduced doesn't equal Exclusive which is the topic.

Finally, are we going to include the fact that many games released on PS4 AND switch completely skipping xbox? I guess those wouldn't really count as exclusives then.

For every game 360 had that was big (and not just random exclusive), PS had options that were similar. the ONLY game in the entire 360 library that stands out is still Halo 3.
Halo, Gears, Fable and Forza are the same genre? News to me.

Last edited:
Which console has Bloodborne?

For real though, if you're not into Gears of War, Halo, or Fable, there's not much on the 360 that you can't find elsewhere. The "exclusives" that got me to buy the 360, Bioshock and Mass Effect, eventually got ported to PS3. If those games had released on the 360 and PS3 at the same time, I would've bought a PS3.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just noticed that third party console exclusives are omitted? Why’s that? Probably benefits the Xbox 360 in that regard.

Xbox 360 has Call of Duty 2, Ridge Racer 6, Fight Night Round 3, Raiden Fighters Collection, Mushihimesama Futari, and more.
I don’t think PS4 had too many.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Just at a quick glance, the way I would break it down would be something like this (I don't include ports and remasters):

Top Tier Must Play - 360:
- Gears of War Trilogy
- Halo 3 and Halo Reach
- Mass Effect (this was an Xbox game for so long, it counts as an exclusive for the generation)
- Forza Horizon
- Fable 2

Great, but not must play:
- Viva Pinata 1 & 2
- Crackdown
- Forza Motorsport franchise
- Alan Wake
- Fable 3
- Halo Wars
- Halo 4

---

Top Tier Must Play - PS4:
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- Death Stranding
- Spider-Man
- The Last of Us: Part II
- Ghost of Tsushima
- The Last Guardian
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Dreams
- God of War

Great, but not must play:
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy
- Days Gone
- Gravity Rush 2
- Nioh 1 & 2
- Detroit Become Human

I find more big must-play titles on PlayStation 4.

BUT, Halo 3's multiplayer portion, as well as the original Mass Effect and the Gears Trilogy was incredibly special and counts for a lot. I am very happy I got into Halo online when it was popular, and the Gears games were showcase games. I still remember people losing their minds over the first Gears on an HD TV.

ungalo

If i were to choose objectively based on the two lists i would choose PS4 of course, but it's also because there is a lot of bullshit in it. A lot of PS3 games only remastered and PSP port. Doesn't really make sense for the debate.

And I think a lot of games are missing in the 360 list too because years later and probably during the PS4 era they re-released on other platforms. Games like Dead Rising 1, Mass Effect, Condemned, Ninja Gaiden 2, Magna Carta 2, Vesperia that never released on PS3 outside of Japan, the great indies like Braid, S'plosion Man, Shadow Complex...i consider those games to be 360 exclusives, it's not like Bioshock which was only 1 year exclusive.

Even The Witcher 2 is a 360 exclusive strictly speaking. I don't see why it should not count since Sony now release every game on PC and in the PS4 list there are games that released simultanously on PC and PS4.

Sony's output was formidable during PS4 gen but besides Bloodborne it's very bland i think. Honeslty i would've also prefered PS3 over PS4.

Last edited:

begotten

Weird comparison but I guess we can't talk about Xbox One.

X360 was only decent for the first half of it's life-span when it had new IP like Gears of War, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey before it turned into a milk machine and trash (Check Fable 3, Gears J & Halo 4).

They were good at tying up exclusive deals at the time when you look at Mass Effect and BioShock - but since Sony doesn't get credit for the doing that these days then X360 shouldn't have this going for it.

PS4 on the other hand was decent at the start and kept getting better over time, and instead of rehashing the same shit they used success to try new IP.

Last edited:

Three

Halo, Gears, Fable and Forza are the same genre? News to me.
No, he means that the 360 library is composed of 3 or 5 iterations of those games.

He is basically saying if you want to group games that are similar together you would end up with very little variation. The similarities between Gears 1 vs Gears Judgement would be greater than Infamous and TLOU2 which only share similarities of being "third person".

Woggleman

PS4 to me. This might sound hyperbole but I do believe Sony kept SP games alive for a few years.

I actually think PS3 had a better lineup as well but multiplat games ran much better on 360. Rockstar games looked and ran like trash on PS3 until GTA V.

Flabagast

I have a hard time seeing how you could vote for X360 to this question (unless maybe if you live in a shithole in the middle of USA, and even in this case that means you clearly must not be the sharpest knife in the drawer in your community) but ok I guess.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah halo 3 dudebro doritos fest had such soul.

Don't forget that Sony tried to copy that exact style of game only for it to come across as a shallow husk compared to Killzone 2 and Bungies Offerings. Killzone Shadow Yawn was just dreadful. And Halo 3 was some of the most fun you could have online at the time.

PS4 lacked the interesting online offering that Killzone 2, MAG, SOCOM & Warhawk offered the prior generation. It did pick up with Monster Hunter World, but that's not an exclusive and Capcom dropped the ball with SF V.

It did have plenty of great single player exclusives but by the end, they started to all merge into the same thing like Ubisoft titles (although much more polished) I still had far too much fun on Ghost of Tsushima, but hes not wrong, they felt "safe".

I dunno I just really enjoyed the 360 era... I would kinda argue I enjoyed the PS3 exclusives more, but that's not the poll.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
360 was like drinking out of a puddle, PS3 called for free online multiplayer, AAA games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom