• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2012 Edition

Returning Shows:
Treme (best show on TV that isn't Breaking Bad), Homeland, The Good Wife (best network drama by a mile), Doctor Who, Strike Back: Vengeance, Community, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Fringe, Happy Endings, Revenge, The Vampire Diaries

New Shows:
Nashville (for Connie - i watched an entire season of that dreck American Horror Story for her, so why not? Hopefully it's legitimately good.), The Following (Kevin Williamson free of CW-constraints? Yes please! The trailer sold me on it. If it's paced anything like Vampire Diaries, it should be awesome.) and... maybe Revolution for the LOLZ.

Linius

Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
Homeland
The Walking Dead
Touch
Revolution
Last Resort
New Girl
Parks & Rec.
Community
Modern Family
South Park

That would be it.

the-walking-dead.jpeg

ivysaur12

Banned
Go On premieres with a 6.4

FX orders FoxTV Studios/FX Prods "The Americans" to series with a 13 episode order

Created by Joe Weisberg, The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Russell), who have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity, grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Complicating their relationship further is Phillip’s growing sense of affinity for America’s values and way of life. Tensions also heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan (Emmerich), an FBI agent working in counter intelligence. “We’re proud to welcome The Americans, a taught series that crackles with incredible performances rooted in character perspectives never explored on a U.S. television series, to FX’s line up of quality dramas,” Landgraf said. “We’re equally excited to welcome Graham Yost’s talented young Padawan Joe Weisberg as Creator/Showrunner. He joins a long line of gifted writer/producers who have taken their first shot at greatness on FX.”

Boardwalk Empire
Fringe
Dexter
Supernatural
Walking Dead
Misfits
American Horror Story
South Park

Probably not picking up any new shows. Nothing really pique's my interest. Glad Fringe is finally wrapping up though, the show has become a chore to watch.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Voidguts

Walking Dead + Parks & Rec + Always Sunny + American Horror Story

most excited for AHS (season 1 was incredibly entertaining dumb fun) and the premise of season 2 is super interesting to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
Premiering today:

Children's Hospital on Adult Swim at 12/11c

NTSF:SD:SUV:: on Adult Swim at 12:15/11:15c

Looking good!

Considering that it aired after the Olympics, thus pretty much guaranteeing good ratings, do you know what NBC's expectations were? Is a 6.4 better or worse than they were expecting?

It was actually a 5.6. And yeah, that's right in line with their expectations, methinks.

Meier

We thought Go On was actually pretty good. Much better than expected at a bare minimum.

I don't really get how they're going to stretch it out for multiple seasons though if it's successful.

Meier

What do you mean?

Why would he need to stay in group therapy for years? Everybody Hates Chris already made a breakthrough in the first episode. I guess he could stay as a plant of sorts and they could have rotating cast every season (new people in therapy).

It doesn't feel like it'd be very believable for it to run for years. I guess they'll worry about that when/if it becomes a problem.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why would he need to stay in group therapy for years? Everybody Hates Chris already made a breakthrough in the first episode. I guess he could stay as a plant of sorts and they could have rotating cast every season (new people in therapy).

It doesn't feel like it'd be very believable for it to run for years. I guess they'll worry about that when/if it becomes a problem.

I see. Eh, I'm sure the writers will think of something.

ivysaur12

Banned
I see. Eh, I'm sure the writers will think of something.

If the show is a success, I doubt that it will be a therapy show for its entire run and will evolve into something about a found family with overarching themes of loss and collective healing.

But hey, how bout that Here Comes Honey Boo Boo?!

Zalasta

Really enjoying Political Animals, I wonder what are the chances of it becoming a regular series. Sigourney Weaver and Carla Gugino are pretty mesmerizing in it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Really enjoying Political Animals, I wonder what are the chances of it becoming a regular series. Sigourney Weaver and Carla Gugino are pretty mesmerizing in it.

Zero chance.

One of my friends just got staffed on USA's Graceland. Super, super stoked for him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zero chance.

I'm honestly glad. While I'm enjoying Political Animals, I just don't like it enough to keep watching past the initial season. I'm also glad that it was originally written as a mini series, so hopefully that means everything will be wrapped up nicely.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The second season of Hell on Wheels at 9/8c on AMC

A sneak preview of the pilot of Animal Practice on NBC following Olympic Games' Closing Ceremonies

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Animal Practice

C
People laugh at monkey business, but there's only so much you can do even with a pro like Crystal (the monkey). For this show to work long-term, its human characters have to become richer — and funnier — so that they can evolve with the audience long post the point where the writers have run out of tricks that Crystal and her various winged or four-legged co-stars can do.

Maureen Ryan - Animal Practice

The pilot doesn't allow the supporting characters to do more than play somewhat grating stereotypes, but I'll keep watching to see how they develop (and yes, OK, to see what the monkey does when the show returns with its "real" debut Sept. 26).

"Animal Practice" might devolve into a lot of jokes about mammalian reproduction and/or defecation, or it might evolve into a goofy workplace drama with reasonably sparky leads and occasionally frisky pythons. Given the quality of the core cast and the mildly pleasing (if broad) nature of the pilot, I've got my paws crossed and I'm hoping for the latter.

AV Club - Animal Practice

B-
In a perfect world, this series could turn into the veterinary version of Scrubs, a consistently entertaining blend of medicine, oddball comedy, friendship, and occasional romance. Certainly, it’s a bonus that there’s a monkey as a regular, not to mention the added curiosity of seeing what new animals will turn up in each episode, but there’s still the nagging question of where it’s all going to go from here, and right now it’s really hard to say. But with a cast and creative team as strong this show has, Animal Practice is already showing a lot of potential, so it seems a worthwhile bet to stick around and see how things progress.

James Poniewozik - Animal Practice

On the bright side, there are some funny set pieces in the pilot, and enough fruitful interactions with the patients and their troublesome owners that I could see this show developing into a kind of Scrubs with rabies shots, if the characters can develop beyond the familiar menagerie we start out with. For now, the diagnosis I’d give Animal Practice is much like the way Dr. Coleman sees his patients. The animals are fine—it’s the humans who can use fixing.

Tim Goodman - Animal Practice

Like a lot of pilots, Animal Practice is messy, and if you don’t like the monkey, well, you’re probably not coming back. Then again, you don’t really know what can happen in another four or five episodes (which might be asking a lot in a crowded television universe). But if you squint a little and hope for less of Crystal riding on a toy ambulance with a siren, maybe the actors, and the material, can start to stand out.

mr stroke

Boardwalk Empire-if its any better than last season it might be my favorite show. S2 was amazing
Walking Dead
American Horor Story
Sons of Anarchy
Vampire Diaries(so bad its good)

Hunted sounds awesome, but I don't want to pay for Cinemax just for one show :/

The Good Wife
X Factor (didn't watch last season but will try this year)
Market Warriors
Once Upon a Time
Is there a new Top Chef season this fall? If so I will watch that as well.

Hrm.....can't think of any other new shows I will watch weekly. Theres a bunch of others I will DVR and catch up on during winter break between semesters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The series premiere of Hotel Hell on Fox at 8/7c

The series premiere of Stars Earn Stripes on NBC at 8/7c

The series premiere of Major Crimes on TNT at 9/8c

The second season premiere of Grimm on NBC at 9/8c

Reviews:

AV Club - Hotel Hell

C-
Hotel Hell is so good at stating the precarious financial status of Juniper Hill—not that it takes a real exposé or anything—that the solutions, when they are presented for audience approval, feel like empty gestures. Yes, Gordon fixes a plumbing issue (offscreen), redecorates the lobby, and has the chef redesign the menu, all of which are lasting structural fixes. But the smooth operations require an interpersonal honesty that isn’t achieved just because Gordon makes Robert apologize to his staff. And yes, at every moment of conflict, Gordon must puppeteer the apologies and reconciliations because he's the only responsible one. Robert says all the right things at the end, boilerplate stuff about finally realizing how serious it is and how even the lowly peons who work for him are people too, but how difficult is it to be magnanimous now that Gordon Ramsay got everything functioning again?

Speaking of Strike Back, I put up a thread for the new season. Hope we get a few more people watching this year because it's a cool show that's under appreciated here on GAF.

For sure!

Dexter - I don't why I do it to myself, I just can't help it. I need help. :(

Supernatural - Hoping the new writers improve the show, it's in dire need of a return to form.

Revolution - Hoping it's good.

Once Upon a Time - Loved the first season, hoping the second season is as good.

The Walking Dead - I hope/pray this season moves a lot faster and they don't spend most of the season focusing on just one event/incident/locale.

Fringe - Last season, would be silly not to see how it all ends.

Boardwalk Empire - Can't wait. High hopes for this season.

American Horror Story - Really enjoyed the first season, hope this one doesn't end resorting to gimmicks or other nonsense.

Raising Hope - Season 2 was hilarious and it's easily the best show on TV.

Doctor Who - It's Who.

South Park - Guilty pleasure.

Wes

venison crêpe
Would there be interest in a post in here or perhaps a new thread on new or returning British shows coming out between now and Christmas?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Would there be interest in a post in here or perhaps a new thread on new or returning British shows coming out between now and Christmas?

I always try to include shows from the UK in my Fall/Midseason threads, but I always have a hard time finding shows/info for the shows to include. Out of the British TV websites that I can find, most seem to have a lot of articles on shows from the US, with very little on UK shows. (outside of the big, international ones like Downton Abbey, Luther, or Misfits)

If you have a list of shows that you think people might be interested in, if you want, I could incorporate them into my op. (I could also do the bulk of the work; finding images, trailers, etc if you want)

You could certainly also make a new thread or just make a post in this thread. I'm sure people would appreciate it either way!

Wes

venison crêpe
Good Cop (BBC1) – 4 Episodes - Airs: 30th August

Centred around a young Liverpool response cop, PC Rocksavage. When his best friend is murdered the impact of his brutal death throws his whole life and career into turmoil. He starts to question everything he believes in and the difference between right and wrong. He finds himself increasingly desirous for revenge and a different kind of justice.

Cast: Michael Angelis, Warren Brown, Don Gayle
Screenwriter: Stephen Butchard (Five Daughters, House Of Saddam)

Shetland (BBC1) – 2 Episodes - TBA

Douglas_Henshall_to_star_in_new_BBC1_crime_drama__Shetland.jpg

Recently widowed Detective Jimmy Perez possesses a bone dry sense of humour and an idealistic desire to protect his beloved Shetland Isles from inevitable change, making him a fascinating detective to watch at work.
When a young archaeologist discovers a set of human remains, the island community is intrigued to know if it’s an ancient find or a contemporary mystery. And when an elderly woman is shot on her land in a tragic accident, Perez and his team find themselves at the centre of two feuding families whose envy, greed and bitterness has divided the surrounding community.

Cast: Douglas Henshall, Gemma Chan
Director: Peter Hoar
Screenwriter: David Kane

Ripper Street (BBC1) – 2 Episodes - TBA

A new drama set in the East End of London in 1889 during the aftermath of Jack The Ripper murders. The infamous H Division - the police precinct charged with keeping order in the district of Whitechapel- is in a chaotic state trying to keep order after a tumultuous time for London and reported infamously worldwide.

Cast: Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn, Adam Rothenberg
Writer: Richard Warlow (Mistresses, Waking The Dead)

The Secret of Crickley Hall (BBC1) – 3 Episodes - TBA

A couple move to Crickley Hall a year after their son goes missing and supernatural events begin to take place, which makes Eve feel the house is somehow connected to her lost son.

Cast: Suranne Jones, Tom Ellis, Douglas Henshall, Donald Sumpter, Maisie Williams
Director: Joe Ahearne
Writers: Joe Ahearne and James Herbert

The Paradise (BBC1) – 8 Episodes - TBA

5ocEi.jpg

Smart, ambitious and big hearted Denise Lovett (Vanderham) arrives in the city to seek work in her uncle Edmund’s shop. When he’s unable to help her, she turns to The Paradise and her eyes are opened to a whole new world of possibilities.

This impossibly glamorous store provides the catalyst for her rags-to-riches story as she falls in love with the exhilarating and dangerous charms of the modern world.

Entwined in this intoxication is The Paradise’s dashing and reckless owner, John Moray, a buccaneering capitalist, self-made, and utterly modern man, who inspires in Denise a passion and creativity she didn’t know she had.

Cast: Sarah Lancashire, David Hayman, Elaine Cassidy, Matthew McNulty, Joanna Vanderham, Emun Elliott
Created by: Bill Gallagher

Parade’s End (BBC2) – 5 episodes - Airs: 24th August

British government statistician Christopher Tietjens (Cumberbatch) secretly yearns for an ambitious young suffragette named Valentine (Adelaide Clemens). His wife, meanwhile, sleeps with other men to kill the time while he's counting things. But the great war and social change approach like big and very useful plot devices.
Adaptation of a tetralogy of novels by Ford Madox Ford.

Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall, Adelaide Clemens, Rupert Everett, Miranda Richardson.
Director: Susanna White (Bleak House, Generation Kill, Nanny McPhee)
Screenwriter: Sir Tom Stoppard (Empire of the Sun, Shakespeare in Love, Anna Karenina)

The Girl (BBC2) – Film - TBA

U17hV.jpg

A look at the obsessive relationship between filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock and actress Tippi Hedren.

Cast: Toby Jones, Sienna Miller, Imelda Staunton.
Director: Julian Jarrold (Appropriate Adult, Becoming Jane)
Screenwriter: Gwyneth Hughes

Top of the Lake (BBC2) – 7 Episodes - TBA

9lzGr.jpg

A twelve-year-old girl stands chest deep in a frozen lake. She is five months pregnant, and she won't say who the father is, insisting it was 'no one'. Then she disappears. Robin Griffin, the investigating detective, will find this the case that tests her to her limits. In the search for Tui she will first have to find herself.

Cast – Elisabeth Moss, Holly Hunter, Peter Mullan, David Wenham, Lucy Lawless.
Director: Jane Campion (The Piano, Bright Star) and Gerard Lee
Screenwriter: Jane Campion (The Piano, Bright Star)

The Fall (BBC2) – 5 episodes - October

c4QWV.gif

The Fall is a gripping psychological thriller that forensically examines the lives of two hunters. One is a serial killer who stalks his victims at random in and around Belfast and the other is a talented female Detective Superintendent on secondment from the MET who is brought in to catch him.

Cast: Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan.
Director: Jakob Verbruggen
Screenwriter: Allan Cubitt (The Runaway, Murphy’s Law, Prime Suspect)

Dancing on the Edge (BBC2) – 5 episodes - TBA

348p_dancing_on_the_edge_image5.jpg

The drama is set in the early 1930s and follows black jazz musicians, the Louis Lester Band, as they find fame amongst the parties and performances of London’s upper class society. Although many recoil at the performance of black musicians in polite society, the city’s more progressive socialites, including members of the Royal Household, take the band under their wing. But when the band becomes entangled in their shadowy world, it results in a suspected murder. The walls begin to close in on Louis and the band.

Cast: Chiwetel Ejiofor, John Goodman, Tom Hughes, Matthew Goode, Jenna-Louise Coleman
Director: Stephen Poliakoff (The Lost Prince; Close My Eyes)
Screenwriter: Stephen Poliakoff (The Lost Prince; Close My Eyes)
 
A Touch of Cloth (Sky1) – Film - Airs: 31st August

A spoof of every British crime drama made in the last decade.

Hannah stars as DCI Jack Cloth, a "maverick, heavy drinking loner" who throws himself into his work after the death of his wife. He is teamed with a "plucky, no-nonsense sidekick" played by Jones investigating a series of grisly murders.

Brooker said: "After you've seen A Touch of Cloth you'll never be able to watch another detective show again. Not because it's a devastating piss take, but because you'll have smashed your TV into pieces in a disappointed fury."

Cast: John Hannah, Suranne Jones, Julian Rhind-Tutt
Writer: Charlie Brooker (Dead Set, Black Mirror) and Daniel Maier

Wes

venison crêpe
Compilation trailer of all dramas to appear on BBC2

If Parade's End turns out good (and given it's incredible credentials it should) I'll make a OT for it. In fact the multi episodic stuff on BBC2 all look great this year.

As always release dates are hard to pin down as the leading broadcasters are always scrabbling around with one another as to when to air certain shows. ITV have mainly returning programs (everything they're doing is revolving around Downton and anything the BBC sends up against it is going to die) but I'll look in to their new dramas tomorrow as well as if Channel 4 have anything lined up.

I'll also do comedies as there's a few interesting ones starting up but I just ran out of time for now.

Top Bottom