• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2012 Edition

Hiltz

I've been looking forward to the return of Sons of Anarchy, Hell on Wheels as well as the Walking Dead. I have heard some good things about Homeland so I may need to check it out.

jb1234

I read the pilot scripts to Revolution, Last Resort and The Mindy Project and thought all three were very good. How they translate to television remains to be seen. I'll be watching, though.

(In the clips I've seen of Revolution, some of the acting appears to be a liability. I'll especially thinking of the daughter.)

For returning shows:

How I Met Your Mother
New Girl
Parks and Recreation
Community
Dr. Who

SaintZ

The OP of this thread is awesome.

For the returning series, I'm gonna be watching Revenge, The Good Wife, Glee, Misfits, America's Next Top Model and I think that might be it.

I'm scared for the Revenge/Good Wife showdown though :( CBS has been awful to TGW since it was moved to Sundays.

From the new shows I think I'll try to watch Arrow and The New Normal.
Also, don't expect Arrow to be good. It's not.
Oh great.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
30 Rock
Boardwalk Empire
Childrens Hospital
Community
Dexter (eh... I'll be paying for Showtime for Homeland, might as well)
Fringe
Homeland
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Last Resort
The League
NTSF:SD:SUV
Parks and Recreation
Sons of Anarchy (if I catch up)
Treme

I'll hate watch the Revolution premiere.

I don't know much about the smaller cable dramas, so I might be interested in some of those once I learn about them. I also may sample a couple more network shows, but not much is calling out to me.

PBYcM.jpg
Hayden Panettiere looks fucking ridiculous here.

ivysaur12

Banned
God I hope Nashville is good. Connie Britton is great.

It's the best drama pilot this year, even with its faults.

Nashville > The Following > Red Widow = Elementary > Revolution > The Mob Doctor > The Carrie Diaries = Emily Owens, M.D. > Everything else > fucking Zero Hour.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that the shirtless Stephen Amell workout scene in Arrow is the pinnacle of television. We've topped off.

An-Det

For returning shows, I'll be watching Fringe (nearly done with Season 3 now, so good), The Walking Dead, and Dexter. For new shows only Revolution stands out to me, so unless early reviews are awful I'll check that out.

Returning shows I'll be watching:
Dexter (why?!?), Homeland, Boardwalk Empire (why?!?), Treme, Doctor Who, Bones, Parenthood, Sons of Anarchy, Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23, Supernatural, American Horror Story:Asylum, Vampire Diaries, Glee, The Office (why?!?), Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League, Touch, Fringe.

New Shows:
Nothing yet. None of the news shows have caught my eye.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's the best drama pilot this year, even with its faults.

Nashville > The Following > Red Widow = Elementary > Revolution > The Mob Doctor > The Carrie Diaries = Emily Owens, M.D. > Everything else > fucking Zero Hour.

I remember you saying that, and I'm glad to hear it again. I'm also from Nashville so that would be kinda cool even though I don't give a shit about the country music scene.

Leeness

A lot actually. Haha.

New
-Revolution (NBC will just cancel it but I'll watch it anyway) (Sept. 17th)
-Elementary (always can use more Sherlock) (Sept. 27th)
-Last Resort (maybe. Gonna check it out at least) (Sept 27th)
-666 Park Avenue (seems interesting, why not?) (Sept 30th)
-Beauty and the Beast (just cause...) (Oct. 11th)
-Parade's End
-The Following (2013)

Returning
-Person of Interest (Sept. 27th)
-Once Upon a Time (Sept. 30th)
-American Dad (Sept. 30th)
-Walking/Talking Dead (Oct. 14th)
-Touch (Oct. 26th)

That's a lot for me haha. Aw yeah. I love new tv season <3

ivysaur12

Banned
More people need to be watching Happy Endings and Parenthood. Less people need to be expecting 666 Park Ave and Arrow to be good.

More people need to be watching Happy Endings and Parenthood. Less people need to be expecting 666 Park Ave and Arrow to be good.
Does Arrow need to be good? I'm not going in with any high expectations other than seeing Stephen Amell on my TV, preferably shirtless. Plus, a bunch of my current favorite shows started off extremely rough, so any increase in quality will just be an added bonus.

And I just need 666 Park Ave. to be cloyingly cheesy and Vanessa Williams to be constantly snarky and I'll be good.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Not a big TV watcher, so just my favourites -

The Office
How I Met Your Mother
Happy Endings

Strike

Children's Hospital
NTSF:SD:SUV::
The Office (Waiting for the end)
Parks and Recreation
Haven
The Mindy Project (Pending reviews)
Family Guy
American Dad
Jersey Shore (Maybe)
Arrow (Pending Reviews)
The Walking Dead
Community (Deathwatch)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Does anyone know if it's the original or a US remake?
Remake. Don't waste your time.

TheDanger

Banned
I'm anxiously waiting for The Vampire Diaries (most underrated tv show ever), How I Met Your Mother (although the seventh season was kind of bad with a few exceptions), The Walking Dead (HYPE).

BluWacky

First to Get Canceled (Comedy) Animal Practice The Neighbors

Definitely Animal Practice. It has Tyler Labine in it, the sooner it dies the better. Is Dan Fogler in anything this year or did Man Up get cancelled too late for him to do pilot season?

So I will be watching:

Returning Series

Apartment 23 (definitely gone by the end of the season but I'll enjoy it while it lasts)
Happy Endings
New Girl
Smash

I'll watch Fringe on disc - I fell out of love with it in Season 4 and will catch up again in my own time, especially now that it's ending. Maybe I'll catch up on Once Upon A Time at some point as well. And I'll watch some of the musical numbers from Glee on Youtube and weep at what the show became.

Plus from Brit TV I'll be watching Dr Who and The Hour when they come back. Can't wait for The Hour in particular.

New Series

I'll try the following with varying degrees of expecting them to be terrible:

666 Park Avenue
Arrow
Beauty and the Beast
Cult
Do No Harm
Elementary
The Following
Go On
Hannibal
Mindy Project
New Normal
Partners
Red Widow
Zero Hour

Plus if any of the comedies get good reviews I'll probably given them a try too.

Is Mockingbird Lane for midseason or pushed to next year?

Probably just Doctor Who and Red Dwarf for me.

I don't watch a huge amount of TV anymore, but when I do I watch them in Autumn.

Just Fringe my TV days are almost done, too many shows get cancel today, you start a new show, like it, and boom cancel, can't stand that shit anymore....

elkayes

Boardwalk Empire - HBO - 9/8c
Revolution - NBC - 10/9c - NEW SERIES Only new series. Nothing else really exciting
The Office - NBC - 9/8c
Parks and Recreation - NBC - 9:30/8:30c
How I Met Your Mother - CBS - 8/7c Let´s hope it improves over last season.
Modern Family - ABC - 9/8c
The Big Bang Theory - CBS - 8/7c
Dexter - Showtime - 9/8c
Family Guy - Fox - 9/8c
Homeland - Showtime - 10/9c
30 Rock - NBC - 8/7c - (final season)
The Walking Dead - AMC - 9/8c

Hotel Hell
Boardwalk Empire
Bones
Survivor: Philippines
Haven
Hawaii Five-0
Castle
Person of Interest
Fringe
Community
Kitchen Nightmares
Once Upon a Time
The Amazing Race
American Horror Story: Asylum

Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Treme, Strike Back, The Walking Dead, Community, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Raising Hope

Probably pick up Last Resort & The Following, but that might be it for new shows.

Thanks for the thread, Ratsky. Fine work, as always.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Boardwalk empire.

I can't believe how awful TV has gotten as a whole. Besides AMC and HBO it is a fucking wasteland of shit.

Wow what an op

Im only looking forward to

New shows

Revolution
Animal practice

Current shows

Fringe
Person of interest
Modern family
The middle
How i met your mother

Mr_eX

Revolution is from the guy that made Supernatural so I'll be watching that for sure. Might check out Arrow too but I'm not expecting much from it.

jiggle

Parks & Recreation
NCIS
The Voice

will probably check out a few episodes of Ms. Chanandler Bong's new show
at least until sweeps, for the special guests

ivysaur12

Banned
Boardwalk empire.

I can't believe how awful TV has gotten as a whole. Besides AMC and HBO it is a fucking wasteland of shit.

Weird, some of the best shows on TV right now aren't on AMC or HBO. And there's never been a point in history where American television has been this strong. So, yeah, weird.

Does Arrow need to be good? I'm not going in with any high expectations other than seeing Stephen Amell on my TV, preferably shirtless. Plus, a bunch of my current favorite shows started off extremely rough, so any increase in quality will just be an added bonus.

And I just need 666 Park Ave. to be cloyingly cheesy and Vanessa Williams to be constantly snarky and I'll be good.

Well, there's certainly a lot of cheese in 666 Park Ave, so you're good!

Sadsic

These:

Children's Hospital - Adult Swim - 12/11c
NTSF:SD:SUV:: - Adult Swim - 12:15/11:15c
Revolution - NBC - 10/9c - NEW SERIES
The Office - NBC - 9/8c
The Middle - ABC - 8/7c (one hour premiere)
Fringe - Fox - 9/8c - (final season)
The Simpsons - Fox - 8/7c
Bob's Burgers - Fox - 8:30/7:30c
Family Guy - Fox - 9/8c
American Dad - Fox - 9:30/8:30c
The Cleveland Show - Fox - 7:30/6:30c
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - FX
Off the Air - Adult Swim
China, IL - Adult Swim
The Heart, She Holler - Adult Swim
Superjail! - Adult Swim

Maybe These:

Dragons: Riders of Berk - Cartoon Network - 7:30/6:30c - NEW SERIES
Ridiculousness - MTV - 10/9c
Dr. Who - BBC HD
Up All Night - NBC - 8:30/7:30c
Treme - HBO - 10/9c
How I Met Your Mother - CBS - 8/7c
Ben and Kate - Fox - 8:30/7:30c - NEW SERIES
New Girl - Fox - 9/8c - (super-official season premiere)
The Mindy Project - Fox - 9:30/8:30c - NEW SERIES
Brickleberry - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c - NEW SERIES
Person of Interest - CBS - 9/8c
Downton Abbey - ITV (UK only; January for the US)
Raising Hope - Fox - 8/7c
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog - CW - 9/8c
The Vampire Diaries - CW - 8/7c
The Walking Dead - AMC - 9/8c
Community - NBC - 8:30/7:30c
American Horror Story: Asylum - FX
The League - FX
The Thick of It - BBC Two/Hulu

Already Watching These:

Breaking Bad - AMC
Adventure Time - Cartoon Network
Regular Show - Cartoon Network
Afro Samurai - Adult Swim
Squidbillies - Adult Swim

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

ivysaur12

Banned
There is, at least in the UK, but I missed it! I'll add it to the OP.

Spring 2013.

I haven't heard anything, but since it doesn't premiere until October, I don't think anyone has seen it yet.

Hunted got good buzz at TCA., though I expect Banshee will be the Cinemax show to look out for.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The sneak peek of the Go On pilot airs tonight following the Olympic Games coverage on NBC.

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Go On

B-
Few comedies come out of the gate fully-formed, and there's much more guesswork involved in figuring out what they might become than with drama pilots. All I have to go on is these 24 minutes, and in 6 of those 24, "Go On" made me laugh. That's a start — even if it's not instantly the exciting new future NBC might have hoped for.

Maureen Ryan - Go On

The premise has more promise than the uneven "Mr. Sunshine," Perry's weirdly sodden previous vehicle, and the supporting cast seems especially solid (especially Julie White as another angry widower and Brett Gelman as a creepy dude), but you have to wonder how much NBC will let the show embrace the sadness that these characters are contending with. The truth of the matter is, the pilot is well-paced and the first half is especially fun; Perry in enthusiastic mode is enjoyable to watch. He can do snarky, cynical Chandler Bing wisecracks in his sleep, but let's hope the "Go On" producers know better than to rely too much on that.

AV Club - Go On

C+
Go On is such a big, messy show that it honestly wouldn’t be surprising to watch it in November and realize it’s become one of the best shows on television or realize it’s completely and utterly fallen apart. In its pilot, it attempts to be something like five different shows at once, and only one of those shows is any good. But the more it focuses on that show, the better it is, even if it’s hard to escape the fact that that version of itself is surprisingly similar to Community. There are fun moments in Go On, and once it’s over, you won’t hate yourself for having watched it. But there are plenty of dire things here, too. It’s almost impossible to predict which way this one will skew, which is part of the fun.

James Poniewozik - Go On

Go On is not as funny as Community, though in fairness neither was Community at the get-go, though its pilot was promising enough. Go On’s laughs come in bursts, in particular a great set piece–which you may have already seen in promos–in which Ryan organizes his classmates into a “March Sadness” bracket to see whose suffering is the worst. This is promising, but also concerning, in a pilot; sometimes, it’s a sign of good things to come, and sometimes it’s a sign that the pilot got made on the strength of one good idea that it never replicates.

That said, I’ll stick with Go On for a while, because it at least has the pieces to eventually become a successful comedy you can invest in—a smart, idiosyncratic sitcom with a real emotional core.

Tim Goodman - Go On

The premise might be thin in that Perry’s character will always need to stay in therapy, but it’s not like they can’t milk the quirk (and, sigh, the saccharine) for a lengthy period. [...] What might define the show is whether it can adequately use Perry’s snark in the role of radio host to cut the therapy-shtick warmth by at least a third.

It’s not Parks and Recreation, but then again neither was Parks and Recreation for a long time. Full judgment withheld pending more episodes. After all, there are plenty of examples of lousy pilots turning into lousy seasons, but comedy is a genre that needs a little patience if you want a surprise payoff.

ivysaur12

Banned
Pretty much agree. Go On has a great chance to really break out (and it has a fantastic team behind it), but I'm also worried that it could languish as something more "broad" that really doesn't service the premise.

I would say it's not as sure of itself as Save Me or The New Normal, but there are some really swelling aspects to it that I really enjoyed.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Children's Hospital - Adult Swim - 12/11c
NTSF:SD:SUV:: - Adult Swim - 12:15/11:15c
Hell on Wheels - AMC - 9/8c
*Major Crimes - TNT - 9/8c - NEW SERIES
Strike Back: Vengeance - Cinemax - 10/9c
*Copper - BBC America - 9/8c - NEW SERIES
*Go On - NBC - 9/8c - (regular time period debut)
Sons of Anarchy - FX - 10/9c
Survivor: Philippines - CBS - 8/7c
The Office - NBC - 9/8c
Castle - ABC - 10/9c
The Amazing Race - CBS - 8/7c
Dexter - Showtime - 9/8c
Homeland - Showtime - 10/9c
Raising Hope - Fox - 8/7c