• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell is MGS,

Matchew

I miss Metal Gear Solid deeply. If we never get another one, I hope Sony or someone makes an alt-history game similar to MGS. This type of game is definitely missed as we don't have anything new that is remotely similar.

Dream-Knife

Banned
After 2 the story just got too messed up. I've always hated the supernatural bs in the games too.

I will say MGSV had the best gameplay. MGS2 has the best story.

The only thing Metal Gear needs is a full franchise collection(including the game boy and PSP games). Konami was beginning to do this with Castlevania and Contra, but we're missing Metal Gear.

Bartski

Gold Member
episode 1 GIF by The X-Files

Gojiira

Banned
Gross, MS can keep its grubby hands off MGS…
Id trust Sony giving the reins to Bluepoint for remakes and back to KojiPro for new entries but yeah MS just wouldn’t ‘get it’.

But if a new game does surface I feel it should be a WW2 set game with the entire Cobra Squad as playable characters. Obviously the Boss would be the focal point.
Alternatively perhaps a game focusing on actual mech combat seeing as how MGS2 made it clear many, many other Metal Gear designs existed across the world.

RAIDEN1

The amount of time it took to make part 5, compared to part 3-4 would make you think it was the pinnacle of the series but far from it.....for me part 5 was a big disappointment, and I just couldn't get into it. and didn't regret trading it in.....free roam be damned....even Portable Ops from 2006 is more immersive.....

Kuranghi

MGS 1 and 2 are god-tier, 3 is amazing and even though 4 is amazing too but silly as fuck if you love wackiness/insane fan service, I'm a fanny so I love it and prefer it over 3 overall. I just don't get why people love 3 so much, and prefer it over 2. I find the stealth gameplay borderline irritating, I play it only for the cutscenes/story, characters, boss battles and world/environments. The dpad slow-walking to not make noise is stupid as hell imo.

MGS 5 is god-tier gameplay, design and progression, but the story/cutscenes are trash and I've still never gone past mission 21 because I was so burnt out on the game by that point, 250 hours in and I had read also about the repeating design after mission 32 and it made me reluctant to continue. Its still installed to this day, now with mods to speed up resource processing and research (among other small tweaks like being able to drop weapons) and even then I still didn't want to continue. Some day!

-Amon-

Nobody but Kojima should touch the Metal gear franchise.

Do it that way or leave it alone. Good memories are nice after all.

Last edited:
It's hard to say what Konami does next.
Oscar Issac has the metal gear movie coming out. So where's that gonna be set? Metal Gear Solid 1 or Metal Gear 1?

Then you have the rumored mgs remake. So you would have a mgs1 remake and maybe a movie telling the same story? And Hollywood is going to cherry pick elements from the entire series for whatever storyline the movie has. As so many movies do when taking from source material.

There is money to be made from remaking the games. But do you follow them verbatim or re-imagine them.

Last edited:
Konami know damn well they can't make a MGS game without Kojima or the crew of veterans who worked under him, which likely went to Kojima Productions after MGS V and Survive. There is no one capable enough to handle the IP within Konami right now, so there won't be any MGS game unless they outsource the project to someone capable, which are far and few between in the industry.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I honestly would just like to see MGSV finished as originally envisioned. Outside of that happy enough to let the series sit as it currently is.

Kojima already killed it with metal gear solid 5 what a complete fail of the story
Yeah MGS5 was a failure. Am sure it wasn't commercially haha but wasn't the same.

For a game that has always told these big storylines through amazing in game cut scenes there certainly wasn't a lot of them in mgs5. Who wants to listen to cassette tapes?

Open world was a nice idea on paper for a mgs game but I think it didn't work out. It's not bad for a while but the missions just became the same.
Like remember having to find the bombs in mgs2 and then fight fatman? That was good. It was apart of the story as you move through the Big Shell. Who cares about blowing up some radar for the 3rd time in mgs5. Its not apart of the story.

Ev1L AuRoN

I would love to see a reboot. The main storyline is closed and I don't mind revisit in the form of a remake. But if they want to build a new game, I prefer a clean start.

Cyborg

I don't want it without a (normal) Kojima! MGS 1-3 were perfect and I consider them to be in the top 10 best games ever made. MGS 4 and V are garbage and should be forgotten from the story point of view.

Kev Kev

Who wants to listen to cassette tapes?
youre not wrong, but i cared a lot about at least a few of the cassette tapes. paz was one of my favorite characters from peace walker, and her story in MGSV was heart breaking, and bittersweet at times.

her cassettes about peace day on mother base tell a really nice and heart warming story, which adds this really interesting contrast to a game where your normally killing terrorists in the shadows. there are other cassettes that were really well done, but the paz ones were my favorite...

JMarcell

Kojima was tired of making MGS when he left Konami, I doubt he changed his mind by now. His leaving was an opportunity to do different stuff.

Also, Konami is now a Pachinko Machine company and I doubt they would risk spending money doing a new AAAA MGS just to be shitstormed by Kojima's Fans that think "A MGS without Kojima can't be good"

After MGSV I can’t say I’m massively interested in another entry. The story (if you can call it that) was a dumpster fire and a lot of MGS is riding on that for me personally.

Put together a more interesting open world with classic a classic MGS story and I’ll be there. There’s no way Konami can do it though and I can’t see them selling off the I.P because that would be the nice thing for them to do.

Top Bottom