• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When playing PS4 games on PS5, what controller do you tend to use?

Dualshock 4 or Dualsense on PS4 via PS5 BC?

• Dualsense

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Dualshock 4

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Third party controller heathen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't use backwards compatibility

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Susurrus

I tend to pretty much exclusively use Dualshock 4 when playing PS4 games on my PS5 unless I'm using the communications functions for online games. I have a buddy that never touches them and only uses Dualsense outside of PSVR1. I'm curious what others do.

Crayon

I think I got rid of my ds4's. They were good controllers, though. Actually, I remember now. I tried to give someone the other one but they didn't need it so it's around somewhere.

FrankWza

Dualshock 4 with the back button attachment
One of the best accessories ever made. I wish they would release another one that could attach and is compatible to the DualSense and Edge somehow so that anyone who wants to add 2 to either model can.

phaedrus

Dualsense Edge - got to have those back buttons
My DualSenses got back buttons too :goog_horns:
yYCHty1.jpg

Last edited:

3liteDragon

DualSense, nothing wrong with using the PS5 controller. I can't go back to the DualShock after using the Sense, feels weird to hold.

phaedrus

Do share please
Yup, Extremerate back button kits.

They've got a plethora of colors & textures for the bottom covers, options for plastic or metal paddles, and 2 buttons or 4 buttons.

You just need some basic ability in handling a screwdriver and soldering iron.
Frankly the hardest part for me was opening up the DualSense for the first time since the hidden clips need a bit of force:

I think the DualSense is a lot better, and no way I would go out or my way switching controllers back and forth all the time.

Also, I can't stand devices without USB-C input anymore. I want to be able to just plug the same charger/cable into everything in my flat.

Zuzu

DS4 whenever possible. The DualSense is a major step down in comfort, buttons/dpad, and battery life. When all else is equal, I’ll buy a PS4 version of a game over the PS5 one just so I can use the better controller.

I agree regarding the ergonomics. For me the Dualsense is the second my uncomfortable controller I’ve used (second to the Dreamcast controller). Terrible ergonomic design for my hands and it causes a lot of discomfit for me. And there’s no third party option that can truly replace it because none of the 3rd party controllers have the haptics or adaptive triggers.

Last edited:

Famipan

DS4 as often as possible. Even with iPhone playing Sky:COTL.

I have 3 DS4 and 2 DS with original charging stands for both. Inside my TV bench I have the DS4 stand placed in front and DS stand BEHIND it.
Can’t place them side to size ’cause my glorious PS3 superslim with plastic grill takes up the space to the left 😁

That shows how much I like the DualSense 😂
I think I even disconnected the charging stands charging cable. Still good to keep them in one place.

DualShock 4 support for PS5 games NOW PLEASE!

FrankWza

Yup, Extremerate back button kits.

They've got a plethora of colors & textures for the bottom covers, options for plastic or metal paddles, and 2 buttons or 4 buttons.

You just need some basic ability in handling a screwdriver and soldering iron.
Frankly the hardest part for me was opening up the DualSense for the first time since the hidden clips need a bit of force:

And while you're in there, drop in a bigger battery. The metal paddles are nice but add too much weight. Especially if you're upgrading the battery

Famipan

It’s much cheaper to get used DS4 in good condition too. I got drift on one or two now but fixed it on one. I bought two used ones including charging stand in new condition and sold one to my friend believing they would prefer it, but I’m not sure they do. I’m seriously thinking of saving up on more DS4’s.
The V2-V3 ones has great quality.
And the color options is vastly superior.

I have Black, Charcoal Black and the Midnight Blue DS4 and they all look so damn good!!

Last edited:
It’s much cheaper to get used DS4 in good condition too. I got drift on one or two now but fixed it on one. I bought two used ones including charging stand in new condition and sold one to my friend believing they would prefer it, but I’m not sure they do. I’m seriously thinking of saving up on more DS4’s.
The V2-V3 ones has great quality.
And the color options is vastly superior.

I have Black, Charcoal Black and the Midnight Blue DS4 and they all look so damn good!!

Midnight blue GOAT color. I have 2 of them.

Pimpbaa

The dualsense has an absolute dog shit d-pad. Way too stiff. DS4 had a much much better d-pad which makes it far more desirable for me for play ps4 2D games and fighters. Wish hori were able to make their controllers wireless on the ps5. How the fuck did the Xbox end up with the best d-pad this gen? Dualsense stiff d-pad and the Switch you either got buttons for a d-pad on the joy cons or a d-pad that doesn’t pivot on anything on the pro controller. Although with the Switch you can use 3rd party wireless controllers with better d-pads.

Famipan

Midnight blue GOAT color. I have 2 of them.
Lol, I was about to buy a second one now but thought it’s better having different colors. But Midnight Blue and Charcoal Grey looks so insanely much better than the available DualSense colors so far. It’s nice though how the black Sense has a bit of blue in it (only visible if you look at it in plenty of light) which reminds me of that limited edition transpareny deep dark blue PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom