• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Mario will have graphics like this and what will your reaction be?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
With how cruddy Nintendo's hardware is I think it's a long ways off, but if Nintendo can even make a dumbed down version of this with this artstyle I might forgive them for all the visual crud we've put up with over the years.

The Super Mario Bros. will premiere on April 7, 2023

ShakenG

Rather than looking at years, its probably best to get an idea looking at how long it takes between Nintendo gens and what the tech jump is. 6-7 years between consoles?

Very mild hardware jumps.

Id say, its extremely unlikely anytime soon unless they start doing similar to Microsoft and Sony. Pushing hardware based on size and tech available.

I cant see it happening in the next 4 Nintendo gens at the current rate and thats sad.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Definitely not next gen seeing as how they leaked specs have them at xbox one level 1.3 tflops in handheld mode. you arent getting those visuals on an xbox one.

probably 10 tflops like the ps5, but you arent getting 10 tflops in a handheld until they get to 1nm AND when it gets affordable enough for Nintendo to put it in a cheap $300 handheld. so even if we get to 1nm in the next 10 years, we arent going to have nintendo get there for another 20 years.

Even then 10 tflops might not be enough. Look at Ratchet, the mario movie shits on it. Then again Insomniac targeted native 4k 40-50 fps so they wasted a lot of horsepower there. you have to wonder if Nintendo devs are also stupid enough to waste half the gpu on rendering native 4k instead of rendering it at 2k or close to 1080p like most CG is rendered at.

Last edited:
Looks like somethign that can be done on a PS5, like Rift Apart but a good bit higher in fidelity.

If nintendo sticks to the hybrid/portable format about 2.5 more generations, which is about 12-15 years, who even knows what the rest of gaming will look liek by then though

Last edited:

NahaNago

In around 18-20 years most likely. I wanted to say in 15 years but I'm guessing it will most likely be like after 3 generations from now. It also depends on if they are doing the handheld console combo at that time.

GymWolf

When nintendo is gonna stop with the gimmicks to make an actual home console.

Forget this graphic on a tablet unless they do some cloud shit.

nikos

My reaction will either be "finally" or nothing at all because everything else will be so far ahead.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Given the amount of power needed to render a Hollywood movie and Nintendo's stance on value for money (for them, not you), I calculate that all life on earth will be long extinct before hardware powerful enough to render to this fidelity is cheap enough for Nintendo to consider using it in their hardware.

jakinov

if Nintendo allows support for a eGPU dockfor a future hybrid console. then maybe 100 years for 30FPS or never. Animation companies are using multiple super computers with hundreds/thousands of cores to spend several hours (sometimes more than a day) rendeirng a single frame. If you want this exact quality level, there's going to be need some major innovation or some really powerful hardware (which seems unlikely nowadays).

Never.

Even if the hardware can do it, Nintendo is too cheap to spend the $150+m needed to develop fully fleshed-out games with that level of visual fidelity.

brian0057

Banned
Nintendo explicitely says they're not chasing powerful hardware or an incredibly high visual fidelity, and people will still wonder why they just don't release a more powerful console.

Last edited:

ungalo

Not to be the attention whore that claim to not care about graphics but here i don't really see the point to be honest. It doesn't excite me at all.

And even with powerful hardware and future engines you'll need to craft every little detail that will take a huge amount of time for nothing. But Mario really doesn't need to look like this.

RCU005

More than the graphics quality, I loved the face animations for Mario. I’d love a game where he is as expressive as the movie.

Top Bottom