• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did GTA V become the benchmark for open world games?

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I have been a long time fan of Rockstar and while GTA V does a lot right it is also in many ways their worst game.

There is a shockingly low number of interiors and even less than GTA IV. You can't even go into a fast food place or a bar or a nightclub.

It has a terrible story and one of the worst protagonists with Trevor. How am I supposed to enjoy playing as a cannibal who rapes other men? I can't believe these are the same people who wrote the RDR games.

That dock working mission might be the most tedious thing I have ever played in a game and one of the missions actually features you do doing yoga with your cheating wife's sidepiece. How is this supposed to be more fun than other games? You can also go to counseling with your annoying wife and kids. That Jewely store robbery though is a masterclass in mission design. I have to give them credit for that.

I just don't get how it became this thing that other open worlds must live up to.

The writing is very far up its own ass, but Trevor kind of saves everything. Specifically, Steven Ogg who voices Trevor saves the game. But yeah, the game is overrated. Stupid gameplay, shitty writing, but admirable world creation and a great performance saves it.

Woggleman

I think Night City is more impressive. It's graphically more impressive, has a higher population density, and has many more accessible buildings. My comparison is based on the PC versions of both games, by the way.
If they put some better AI in it it just might be the best city in a game. I like how it is a neon soaked city that looks beautiful from the outside but you go inside some of these buildings and you see how grimy some people are actually living. You see the poverty and struggle behind the flashiness.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
At the time it came out, the game world was ambitious and immersive. The urban setting also appealed to the mainstream. Then popularity helped the game to develop even more.

Catphish

Its world, from a technical perspective, is amazing, and is, even now, second only to RDR2's world.

That said, I also didn't like the characters, with Franklin being the only one I could relate to on any level. Michael was an excruciatingly pathetic man-baby and Trevor was an embarrassingly disgusting psychopath.

Gameplay-wise, I don't think it really did anything that IV didn't do, and the franchise's trademark wit and satire was replaced with cringey, ham-fisted cynicism.

For me, it is at once the best and worst of them all. I hope for a significant improvement with VI.

Last edited:

finowns

OP actually had the balls to say Trevor sucked as a character, when in reality, he became an iconic character in video game history whether you like it or not.

GTA V's story was the best because it MADE SENSE in the world of GTA.

The 3-character system was innovative and fresh, and no one was able to do it as well as Rockstar since.

The Map could have done less with the mountains, but it gives the map a much needed visual character to depict how versatile California really is.

I love all of the GTA games and GTA V, including online, is a bonafide masterpiece.

There is a reason why it already sold more than 135 million copies ;)

Trevor was amazing. He had the ‘RIP Michael’ tattoo Lolll!!

Jada

Banned
I have been a long time fan of Rockstar and while GTA V does a lot right it is also in many ways their worst game.

There is a shockingly low number of interiors and even less than GTA IV. You can't even go into a fast food place or a bar or a nightclub.

It has a terrible story and one of the worst protagonists with Trevor. How am I supposed to enjoy playing as a cannibal who rapes other men? I can't believe these are the same people who wrote the RDR games.

That dock working mission might be the most tedious thing I have ever played in a game and one of the missions actually features you do doing yoga with your cheating wife's sidepiece. How is this supposed to be more fun than other games? You can also go to counseling with your annoying wife and kids. That Jewely store robbery though is a masterclass in mission design. I have to give them credit for that.

I just don't get how it became this thing that other open worlds must live up to.
GTAV has its downsides, some of which you mentioned, but the life of its environment is why no other open world game - save for RDR2, which is even more astonishingly alive, though inferior in some respects - has come close.

I mean, compare crap like CP2077’s lifeless city and the braindead automatons inhabiting it to the activity in GTAV.There is no comparison.

Last edited:
GTA V's open world is stunning, but very static. I thought Watch Dogs 2's San Francisco was a much better city, mainly because there's actually some level of interactivity with the NPCs and the world around you (hacking street lights, etc), which make more of a difference than you'd expect.

Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey are another high in terms of open world design.

Purely in terms of setting and aesthetics, Cyberpunk's Night City has become my favourite open world city. Very immersive, but not perfect.

lucius

Cyberpunk has me appreciating last two Rockstar games more now, I also preferred Sleeping Dogs and when Just Cause 3 ran good I thought it was better . I plan to revisit RDR2 and GTA5 again. I think I was too hard on these games because of how much I liked GTA3, Vice City and RDR1.

Kumomeme

trevor is one of worst character i see. i dont know why people hyping it up. people probably like 'crazy' character but this character is terrible. just a maniac psychopatch. just mess of a human character. michael is way interesting, more layer to his character. gta v great at creating urban world but gameplay falling behind to game like sleeping dog. storyline..meh i find nothing special about it. sleeping dog beat it story and gameplay miles ahead.

what i see, people always give 'freepass' to game has label made by rockstar. another i can relate is cdpr. critisized them, their defender will come attacking you like a zombie. imagine if it made by another company. reaction would be different.

most of people i know enjoyed the game, including me due to the fun of free roam around the world which is nothing other game yet come close. it is a game people can get themself lost in wandering around in the game.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
GTA5 has been a masterpiece since moment one. It was an open world game that didn't feel like a compromise.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think Night City is more impressive. It's graphically more impressive, has a higher population density, and has many more accessible buildings. My comparison is based on the PC versions of both games, by the way.
Night City is the most beautiful and fully realized open world city I have ever seen in a game. Everything about it is just next level, every inch of it feels like it has so much attention to detail.

Where it maybe falls behind GTA, though, is like, activities and minigames, and emergent gameplay thanks to the presence of a real police system and more sophisticated AI for other drivers. Not that Cyberpunk doesn't still have a lot of cool stuff to discover.

Kagey K

Banned
Hasn’t GTA pretty much been the benchmark for open world games since PS2? (I’d even argue the top down PS1 games were benchmarks for thier time) just not as a 3rd person open world.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Since no game since has even came close to matching the feeling of an actual living city.

A fucking PS3 game destroys every open world game there's been since. Pathetic as hell man.

Sleepwalker

GTA V is hot garbage tho. Hopefully VI will be a return to form... in 2032 when they finally decide to actually make a new GTA for the PS7

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Night City.

Not with NPCs that repeat the same lines over and over, traffic that can't drive ...
Then it’s 200 npcs that stand still on the corner... don't react to me pulling out a gun in their face... and I go underwater and it looks like you just put a filter on my screen. Then when I beat the missions, I’m literally done with shit else to do or see.

That’s not open world to me. Nightcity is pretty but its not even close to Los Santos from 7 years ago ... I can't even imagine how outdated it will be compared to GTA 6

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
OP actually had the balls to say Trevor sucked as a character, when in reality, he became an iconic character in video game history whether you like it or not.

GTA V's story was the best because it MADE SENSE in the world of GTA.

The 3-character system was innovative and fresh, and no one was able to do it as well as Rockstar since.

The Map could have done less with the mountains, but it gives the map a much needed visual character to depict how versatile California really is.

I love all of the GTA games and GTA V, including online, is a bonafide masterpiece.

There is a reason why it already sold more than 135 million copies ;)

This. I know it's super edgy to have his own super hot take or to hate something everybody loves, but let's not go overboard.

It sold 135 million copies so of course it's great. And yes it's the benchmark for open worlds.

If Cyberpunk (which is a great game too) just reminded us something, it's that it's not easy to match Rockstar as an open world.

GTA 5 is an old game now but it still does a lot of things better than more recent open worlds like Cyberpunk : NPCs AI, police, emergent gameplay, activities, all those things are done better in gta 5.

EDMIX

I greatly disagree, I believe in the majority of the features by default it is their best open world game in regards to design.

The low number of Interiors also has to do with that you're working with completely different Hardware. When you look at something like Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas and you understand they're using something like DVD I want you to consider they went using that format for one generation only to then use the same format for another generation so clearly they were going to have limitations but the beauty of how they designed Grand Theft Auto V is that they worked around those limitations in simply created a playground Outdoors that could work with the hardware , they did not try to fucking force the funk.

So software design in regards to gaming it sometime similar to policy-making as you do not sit there and try to create what you want like some sort of weird dream , you have to create what you can, under the limitations that you're under, with the cards delt, based on what the problem is today, not what you want it to be.

I believe the story is completely irrelevant because people consider Grand Theft Auto V The Benchmark based on what it's able to do in regards to its features what's at the very minimum try to keep the conversation about objectively what it does not simply if we like one protagonist over the other or The Narrative of the story or anything like that because trust me I love the series with all my heart this is a series I bought every entry to and will always by day one, but let's save that conversation for another thread I don't believe when people are talking about benchmarks of open-world that they're trying to add in the story elements to this or something.

So Grand Theft Auto V does a good job with how the cars feel they do a good job with how the guns handle and how the player controls and they also do a good job with the artificial intelligence to the point where you don't even notice it, I would argue people's criticisms regarding Grand Theft Auto most times are about the story or about specific elements of the game that could be viewed as subjective like the narrative or specific subject matter in the game but ultimately you're only many times focus on that shit because you're not worrying about physically playing the game so I would argue the beauty of how this game was created was that these elements rarely got in the way of you going from A to B. I feel like only when you play a completely broken fucking game you really respect what they've been able to craft with Grand Theft Auto V.

So I think people criticized maybe too much they don't really understand just how well made that fucking game is for what it is, don't you think it's a weird not a single fucking Watch Dogs has been able to really match that series in regards to feel? Mafia? So as a person that loves open World Games especially crime games no one's able to really live up to something like Grand Theft Auto because these guys have been able to do something no other team has really been able to and that's Master lots of elements in the game that in other games are just complete afterthoughts.

So I'm not going to tell you that Grand Theft Auto feels like the BEST racing game or something but it feels good enough that you could go online and watch people literally treated as such because it works well enough to actually make that element something people can exclusively do that's an extremely difficult thing to do.

So I believe what people are really referring to are all the unique elements that combined make Grand Theft Auto that just work extremely well. You only sit back and give them more credit and respect when you play something like cyberpunk in these dumbasses can't even Implement a Chase sequence with cop cars.

no helicopters chasing you

No tanks coming after you or SWAT team

I feel sometimes we could get carried away thinking that what they do is just a simple thing because we're so fucking used to them releasing games but you have to sit back wonder if it was soooooooo easy, how come we've yet to have any developer really MATCH those features and beat them? I think really making those elements work is much more difficult then I think many really realize.

Rikkori

Never. You're just seeing the typical overreaction when a big new game launches. It's the necessary counter-circlejerk circlejerk to the pre-release hype-it-up circlejerk.

In reality GTA V was a sub-mediocre open world game in terms of single-player, with a story that consisted of nothing but constantly bickering characters like a cluck of hens, and a mostly pointless world devoid of any real activity or interaction besides a) driving around; b) fighting cops. Meh.

They still live in the shadow of the GTA III trilogy, and haven't caught up since. Then again, they seem to be more focused on MP, so whatever, I guess it prints money so why should they care.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Not with NPCs that repeat the same lines over and over, traffic that can't drive ...
Then it’s 200 npcs that stand still on the corner... don't react to me pulling out a gun in their face... and I go underwater and it looks like you just put a filter on my screen. Then when I beat the missions, I’m literally done with shit else to do or see.

That’s not open world to me. Nightcity is pretty but its not even close to Los Santos from 7 years ago ... I can't even imagine how outdated it will be compared to GTA 6

1. Even in GTA V, NPCs don't have a wide variety of dialog. They utter one line each and then just stand where they are or run away.

2. NPCs in Night City drive just fine; I have not encountered any issues while driving.

3. I've pulled guns on NPCs and they either plead with me and/ or raise their hands to indicate they they're surrendering.

Also, Night City has many more accessible buildings, such as apartment buildings and clubs.

trevor is one of worst character i see. i dont know why people hyping it up. people probably like 'crazy' character but this character is terrible. just a maniac psychopatch. just mess of a human character. michael is way interesting, more layer to his character. gta v great at creating urban world but gameplay falling behind to game like sleeping dog. storyline..meh i find nothing special about it. sleeping dog beat it story and gameplay miles ahead.

what i see, people always give 'freepass' to game has label made by rockstar. another i can relate is cdpr. critisized them, their defender will come attacking you like a zombie. imagine if it made by another company. reaction would be different.

most of people i know enjoyed the game, including me due to the fun of free roam around the world which is nothing other game yet come close. it is a game people can get themself lost in wandering around in the game.
Well that was the point.

Which are all these amazing open world games with interactive NPC:s and tons of buildings you can enter, etc?

Not defending GTA V in those regards, genuine question. I suppose there are some games that does it better than GTA since everyone is complaining about it?

teezzy

Banned
When it was still relevant and insanely well selling for over an entire console generation. Same with Skyrim. These games are exemplars of open world game design for a reason: they sell

Paasei

Didn't like GTA V as much as I did the older ones. Dialogue was good, but the story is garbage. Still outdated gameplay and they get away with it because of beautiful and technical details, that I don't care about anymore after a few hours.

Spaceman292

Banned

People who haven't played it or don't remember it see all of the anal little details in a youtube video and somehow convince themselves that that makes it a good game.
The writing and the gameplay suck but WOW LOOK THE CARS MAKE TICKOVER NOISES 10/10 GRT REKT CYBERPUBK

Trevor is a bastard, but that’s what makes him unique. I don’t like him myself and I definitely can’t relate to him. I’m more like Michael myself, but you can’t deny being in the shoes of a deranged psychopath is unprecedented. Michael is basically Max Payne, Franklin is basically a CJ replacement, and Trevor is basically like no other protagonist I can think of besides maybe the Joker, and people love the Joker.

Pagusas

Elden Member
From a graphics and technical stand point? The moment it was released.,

From any other standpoint? never.

Life

GTA games typically have loads of driving. Same with RDR2 - gave the game up after riding the same damn horse through the same lifeless locations. You'll get 30-50 hours of gameplay, with probably a third of that being owed to just getting from point A to B. It's a chore.

Last edited:

Aion002

RDR2 is for me.

I have been playing it online since the online launch and I still get surprised by the amount of detail the game has.

I know that most people around here hates the gameplay loop, but I love it sooo much. For me it is extremely satisfying just walk around the world doing bounties and gathering collectables eventually killing dumb griefers.

RDR2 for me it's just soooo good.

The only bad part of it is when Rockstar fucks the servers (they do that from time to time).

RDR2>>>>>any other open world game in the amount of detail.

TheMan

The money and time Rockstar throws at their games is insane.

But I wonder what happened with Cyberpunk. The game was announced in 2012. 8 years. Was the budget just not there? Lack of expertise? The open world isn't awful but it just lacks that Rockstar polish.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every GTA game could have been bigger and than they get a sequel so I give R* for taking the series to the next level at the time.

UnNamed

Banned
GTA V is open world done right: dense, lot of things to do, no generic places or over reused assets, very detailed, very populated. In one word, alive.

Can you say the same for Horizon, GoT, Just Cause, Skyrim, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, etc? They do well in just few aspects, but not everything.

Woggleman

RDR2 is everything people claim GTA V to be. The controls are a legitimate complaint but the open world is immersive as hell. People actually remember your face if you return to an area you haven't been to in a long time. They feel like real people.

In GTA V you can't really interact with peds and if you stand to close they call the cops on you. You get a wanted level simply for standing around.

I also don't buy the no interiors excuse because there were a good amount in GTA IV and RDR2. Even in San Andreas you go into a fast food place and eat. V took out a feature that had been there since the 3D era and they somehow get held up as what open worlds should be? V regressed instead of progressed.

R6Rider

Gold Member
GTA V's open world is stunning, but very static. I thought Watch Dogs 2's San Francisco was a much better city, mainly because there's actually some level of interactivity with the NPCs and the world around you (hacking street lights, etc), which make more of a difference than you'd expect.

Have to agree with this. WD2's world is the most impressive sandbox world when it comes to cities. Plus they weave in missions and give you tons of freedom to how you complete them.

There was a time when devs tried to make GTA clones. They all failed.

Making open world games today takes a ton of money and time. Not a lot of companies can keep up with that.

MrJTeera

GTA IV is still my favorite GTA , but since there’s no remasters for consoles, the majority holds the latest entry and also the most popular one, as the standard for the industry. Sure, Red Dead and other games come along, but they’re harder to recognize compare to #gta.

People stick to brand names, even in videogame industry.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
San Andreas was the peak thug simulator gta never stopped being. GTA4 they tried to work in, admirably, the social angle to make the city feel alive but the execution was a bit underwhelming. GTA5 I felt it lacked something, even tho it has some of the best encounters and side quests in the series so far.

MMaRsu

Banned
Because even though the story was just ok and the gameplay and mission design were mediocre, Rockstar are on a tier of their own when it comes to creating sandbox type open worlds.

They have the time, talent and budget to put a level of attention to detail in their games that goes beyond pretty much every other dev, and that just makes their worlds feel alive and fun to interact with.

In games like The Witcher, Horizon, Cyberpunk, Arkham Knight or Assassin's creed the appeal is usually the quests and missions and stories and maybe the combat too, and the open world is more like a nice big background for that stuff to take place in.

In GTAV the appeal for many people is not the quest or stories or combat, but the sandbox openworld itself.

I don't think it necessarily makes it the benchmark for open world games in general because open world games can be a lot of things and focus on different aspects to appeal to different players (I, for example, prefer a less detailed world with bettter quests and gameplay).
But you can't deny that if you are just looking at the open world itself, no one quite makes them like Rockstar.

They also have 15 years of experience making open world titles so I think the comparison can be quite unfair

Top Bottom