• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So GTA VI's world might be smaller than planned, but is that a bad thing?

Stafford

I was checking out some older reports on GTA VI on how at first Rockstar apparently wanted to make the game world larger than any of its previous games. But has been cut down in size to focus on Vice City. It's also been said there will be more interior locations than any previous GTA. Something I can only applaud, I love me some interiors. V really lacked these.

The part that I find interesting is that Rockstar will update the map on a regular basis over time with apparently new cities. This is usually something only for Online, so I wonder how this is going to turn out. And honestly, I doubt it will all be free. But back to the map size....

I think it's a good thing, focus on that city with some stuff surrounding it, but make it more dense, more shit to do. V's map is nice, but there were too many areas they didn't do shit with and that probably could have been used for other things instead.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't play these games, so ignore me.

But it seems like the interaction with the environment is kind of surface level in these. Not many interiors, mostly just driving by it quickly. Kind of like Spider Man NYC. In that case, I think actually scale is one of the main things that would help feel like a generational leap. I was a lot more interested in the rumors of multiple cities, potentially in multiple countries even. Set up supply routes and jobs crossing the border, flying planes.

If they keep it smaller, it would have to have a deeper level of interaction or else it seems a little underwhelming. Would be neat to have to interact with different tiers of authorities after you, local cops vs. FBI able to track you between cities, vs. border patrol, vs. cops in other countries.

Last edited:

Fbh

I would be fine with the map being the same size (or a bit bigger) if they instead focus even more on interactivity. Give more stuff to do, more mechanics to interact with the world, give me tons of interiors (that you can enter seamlessly), etc.
Smaller dense worlds >>> Giant empty worlds.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
roman numerals are lame just call it gta6

anyways smaller maps are always good. Bigger is not always better. I appreciated GTA5's map,it was large and detailed and covered many parts of the city (downtown, suburbs, hillbilly, etc) but it made driving around the area a pain, compounded by the mediocre driving physics.

Stafford

Through the leaks, people have been able to estimate it is 1.5 times bigger than GTA 5, which is more than adequate

Oh damn, that's big! Yeah it wouldn't be Rockstar I guess to go smaller than their previous GTA.

I don't play these games, so ignore me.

But it seems like the interaction with the environment is kind of surface level in these. Not many interiors, mostly just driving by it quickly. Kind of like Spider Man NYC. In that case, I think actually scale is one of the main things that would help feel like a generational leap. I was a lot more interested in the rumors of multiple cities, potentially in multiple countries even. Set up supply routes and jobs crossing the border, flying planes.

If they keep it smaller, it would have to have a deeper level of interaction or else it seems a little underwhelming. Would be neat to have to interact with different tiers of authorities after you, local cops vs. FBI able to track you between cities, vs. border patrol, vs. cops in other countries.

Well apparently according to these reports there will be way more interiors we can explore, so that's already a great and also much needed change. Man I remember Vice City and the enterable shopping mall, that stuff was great. I was disappointed when in V I could not enter any Burger Shot or Cluckin Bell, just crazy.

But you're not wrong, Sam Houser's vision did sound very interesting. a game spread over multiple cities on two continents, possibly in multiple time periods. But I'm guessing this would have made development time simply too long? Perhaps it's something they can add, and I truly hope it's true that the part about content being added in overtime IS indeed for the SP, because I do not give a shit about Online.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Oh damn, that's big! Yeah it wouldn't be Rockstar I guess to go smaller than their previous GTA.

Well apparently according to these reports there will be way more interiors we can explore, so that's already a great and also much needed change. Man I remember Vice City and the enterable shopping mall, that stuff was great. I was disappointed when in V I could not enter any Burger Shot or Cluckin Bell, just crazy.

But you're not wrong, Sam Houser's vision did sound very interesting. a game spread over multiple cities on two continents, possibly in multiple time periods. But I'm guessing this would have made development time simply too long? Perhaps it's something they can add, and I truly hope it's true that the part about content being added in overtime IS indeed for the SP, because I do not give a shit about Online.
Yeah, they can go either way. Let you explore more in depth and go in multiple buildings all over and it's more than enough.

tommycronin

Banned
I think GTA6 tone wise will be hard to pull off. All the GTA games have parodied America for years now and America has become that parody so what else is there left to do. I really hope they pick another place completely.

Camreezie

If they went more than 1.5x GTA V it would be too big imo

sad season 4 GIF

kikkis

I think games like gta do need some roadway to drive on, so dense and small might not be the best way to go about things.

ungalo

It depends i guess, if it's smaller because they plan to add news zones after launch, it doesn't really change anything, it's probably even worse. If it's denser sure.

After RDR2 i doubt they'll impress me just as much with the sense of detail in the world. But it will be interesting to see if they can still raise the bar higher. I'm not expecting any change in their design philosophy.

Oh cmon with all these GTA whataboutism topics ffs.

Mod, close this trash! Rumors, gossip, yadayada, Digital pollution.

ungalo

I think games like gta do need some roadway to drive on, so dense and small might not be the best way to go about things.
It would still be 1.5 bigger than GTA V, so it's not really a problem.

I hope the urban area will be bigger in proportion though, never was a fan of the outside in GTA V.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Definitely. One of my favorite things about GTA V was more open roads that allowed police chases to be more fun. Nothing but dense city driving wouldn't be as fun.

Mowcno

As always land area in games is overrated. It's what you put in the land that matters. Make the world more dense, complex, dynamic and with greater variety.

I'd rather have a GTA IV sized map with mind blowing AI that feels like a real breathing city than a massive map with blank, dumb, copy and pasted inhabitants.

Stafford

It depends i guess, if it's smaller because they plan to add news zones after launch, it doesn't really change anything, it's probably even worse. If it's denser sure.

After RDR2 i doubt they'll impress me just as much with the sense of detail in the world. But it will be interesting to see if they can still raise the bar higher. I'm not expecting any change in their design philosophy.

I expect it will at least be on par with RDR2, but likely exceed it, more interaction with NPCs, them saying more different and realistic things etc. I am hoping they will finally offer multiple ways to tackle missions, that remains one of the downsides of RDR2. Some immersive sim elements I guess would have gone a long way.

Oh cmon with all these GTA whataboutism topics ffs.

Mod, close this trash! Rumors, gossip, yadayada, Digital pollution.

Lol, what? If you don't like the discussion, why the fuck even click on it? I sure didn't force you. Fuck is your problem?

If it has Red Dead 2 levels of interaction and dialogue with npc, along with detailed interiors, great!

Would be awesome indeed. And knowing Rockstar they will nail this. The way NPCs react in RDR2 is so damn good, such a huge improvement over GTA V too, I can only see this being even better. The leaks didn't really show it iirc, but I expect there will be a similar way of interacting with NPCs in this as we have in RDR2.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Density and variety are key I think, big empty maps are a thing of the past, new GTA has to set the bar in those aspects.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Gta5’s upper map was a bit too open for its own good so I would love a more dense half as big map with lots of interiors.

Flutta

Banned
In this case size doesn’t matter 😅

It’s what’s in it that counts and how it’s mappen out.

DosGamer

I wonder if Rockstar has realized the Role playing effect these games have on people. People are still roleplaying RDR2 and the way they build the maps.... it makes perfect sense.
R* has always been great with attention to detail. If the rumors are true about having to fill up your car with gas and details like that... the map size will not matter.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If it looks better than rdr2 idc about the size. Quality over quantity.

It's all about the details at this point. We've gotten to the point where the space just needs filling with details. That's the kinda thing they do well.

mrmustard

Banned
I don't care if the map is smaller, but please make the combat more fun. I don't care if they 1:1 copy Sleping Dogs or whatever.

Kikorin

The map have to be interesting, not big IMHO. One of my favourite open world maps ever are still Greenvale from Deadly Premonitions and Vice City. Also the map from Cyberpunk is pretty awesome and not huge i guess.

Through the leaks, people have been able to estimate it is 1.5 times bigger than GTA 5, which is more than adequate
The leaks are old, the size of the game has been seemingly downsized. Not long to wait anyway, hopefully we get some idea of scale of the game from the trailer.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

As long as it's as interesting to explore, interact and exist in as rdr2 then we'll be fine.

Pretty bored of open world games being flat planes with nothing in them but some trees you can maybe cut down

The leaks are old, the size of the game has been seemingly downsized. Not long to wait anyway, hopefully we get some idea of scale of the game from the trailer.
There is no evidence any of the leaks are cut content. GTA 6 was originally supposed to have multiple big cities, including outside the US, but I'm pretty sure Rockstar decided to downsize the game before actual development of additional cities ever took place.

Last edited:
If they have a lot more interiors than even a smaller world is ok by me. GTA V had this huge open world but you can't go inside of hardly anything. Kind of kills exploration

Top Bottom