• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thing that i want the most from this gen

samoilaaa

Its better level design

We have better hardware , the ssd helps alot , devs should focus on making more complex level design and better environmental storytelling to guide us through it , im sick and tired of the same boring from point A to point B levels , or boring open worlds that are filled with nothing but useless loot

When a new open world is announced the first thing we hear is "its x times bigger than GTA , Skyrim , Witcher etc. " , but there is no improvement in the way the map is structured , what motivates me to explore a map ? just because its bigger ? All i gain is an achievement that i did everything even though it was all generic

More focus on the quality and less on the size , its like a guy bragging about having a 9 inch penis but has no idea how to please a woman , he just puts it in and keeps pumping until hes done and he thinks hes good in bed

hinch7

I just want more games. AAA titles these days have such long development times, many with numerous delays and cancellations. We just need smaller, more tightly made projects and less bloat.

A lot of open world games are just lazy and haphazardly made.. with assets and copy pasta design scattered around the map. Made to waste peoples time and pad out a game to justify raising costs.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I loved the level design in both SMT V and Dragon's Dogma 2.

Their open worlds are kinda small (specially SMT V) but are filled with stuff to find, lots of nook and crannies in which you can find cool stuff and their layouts are almost dungeon-like, meaning that instead of large and empty open areas, you get tons of smaller areas that are interconnected with each other. I think the secret is making those open worlds have a lot of verticality and maze-like layouts, makes exploring them much more engaging.

Ofc large-open areas can be cool, but you need a driving force so to speak to motivate the player to explore them. Game's that do it right could be BOTW or Elden Ring, which show you cool shit in the distance making you want to go there. See that cool thing in the distance? Go there, but try to not get distracted by those other 10 cool things you'll find in the way.

Games which open worlds are kinda shit imo could be The Witcher 3 for example. Game gives you a bunch of ? marks and expects you to go there by following the GPS. This, to me, is very boring, since I'm not really exploring based on my curiosity but rather I feel like I'm doing chores.

Level design and side quests are the biggest improvement areas for a generational leap. It's annoying that the conversation is all about resolution or graphics in games with shallow gameplay and level interaction. The problem is that these two elements require creativity and skill in writing and worldbuilding something that Western studios are severely lacking.

samoilaaa

Thank god we still have good ol arkane.

Wait...
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

samoilaaa

Level design and side quests are the biggest improvement areas for a generational leap. It's annoying that the conversation is all about resolution or graphics in games with shallow gameplay and level interaction. The problem is that these two elements require creativity and skill in writing and worldbuilding something that Western studios are severely lacking.
yeah it takes much more brain power , unfortunately there isnt alot of that these days

makaveli60

Developers should only do open world if it’s in the quality of Cyberpunk 2077 or RDR 2 otherwise they shouldn’t bother and just go with a more linear design IMO. But then it would be harder to fill it with meaningless sidecontent to artificially lenghten the playtime.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
the quality of Cyberpunk 2077 or RDR 2
Those look amazing for sure but, do they really offer something gameplay wise?

Thank god we still have good ol arkane.

Wait...
How do you go from making bread and seeing it grow in real time or kicking orcs off cliffs to... whatever the fuck you do in Redfall?

What a fall from grace man. :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:

IAmRei

There are lot of good games to answer that, but it often not graphic advanced games. And the answer is not always western games. I prefer linearity of FFXVI and Tales of Arise. Or shorter Games like hack and slash.

Also there is good open world games that differ with others, but people might not like it because graphical style is not everyone cup of tea. BoTW, ToTK, or Dragons Dogma 2 are some easy examples.

SHA

Great experience, it doesn't matter which way, I for one almost like every known genre, I have no discrimination towards any of them, I want something that I'll remember for years to come, I hate the idea of accessibility with mediocre list of games cause it's a double-edge sword tech if used the wrong way, the accessibility will make gamers make quick decision to move on when there's nothing left to play, that's definitely an unpleasant experience to switch to something else.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I would love to be able to stream purchased PS5 and Xbox games on my iPad or Steam Deck without the need for a console. Microsoft has a good streaming service with day one releases which automatically transfers the save files between the cloud and the console. To be able to play a new game, that’s not on Game Pass or PlayStation Plus Premium, when I’m unable to play on the TV or near my console would be a game changer for me.

Danknugz

i've been seeing less of this thankfully but it seems devs still love to put all their effort into the intro level and then the quality of maps after that quickly descend into such boring crap it almost seems procedurally generated

makaveli60

Those look amazing for sure but, do they really offer something gameplay wise?

How do you go from making bread and seeing it grow in real time or kicking orcs off cliffs to... whatever the fuck you do in Redfall?

What a fall from grace man. :lollipop_crying:
Well to me, yes, but that’s a different topic because the OP was about level design and my answer was related to that

Top Bottom