• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope there is a backlash to the open world trend soon.

I'm tired of everything under the sun being open world since like 2011. Bigger doesn't always mean better and the open world aspect feels like unneccessary bloat a lot of the time and just makes getting from place to place without menu teleporting a bore. Not to mention levels feel more intricately designed in linear games. MGS2s big shell was far more enjoyable and interesting to traverse and explore than the vast open empty spaces in MGS5 for example. Arkham Asylum's level design was very satisfying with it's metroidvania elements that teased you with blocked off locations which you unlock later on once you get a certain gadget. But then City replaced that with a tacked on open world which made it all generic. Linearity allows developers to script great gameplay sequences that wouldn't be possible in an open world game. I can't see games like Ghostrunner or Neon White being open world.

This is part of the reason why i'm hyped for FFXVI. It's refreshing. You have plenty of room to fight enemies and do a little bit of roaming around but it's not another tacked on open world and as a result they were able to focus more on the gameplay and story.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I am sorry to inform you this, but open world is the only thing that is enticing these days.

With overload work, people are looking for escapism, and the only thing that allows that is the open world games.

I like doing quests and immersing myself in to that world, while I forget about the harsh reality that I am living currently.

I am sorry to inform you this, but open world is the only thing that is enticing these days.

With overload work, people are looking for escapism, and the only thing that allows that is the open world games.

I like doing quests and immersing myself in to that world, while I forget about the harsh reality that I am living currently.
Video games are inherently escapism, not just open world games.

Eimran

I remember when GTA III and Vicy City came out I loved open world games because of the story, atmosphere, side missions etc.

Now whenever I see an open world game it's the same old: here's 100 useless collectibles, the world is divided in x districts, climb towers/activate antenna's/liberate camps to unlock districts, here's a dozen of standard side missions ....Ugh.

I'd rather have a lineair game than these recycled open world games. Since I started working I learned to appreciate linear games more.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'm tired of everything under the sun being open world since like 2011. Bigger doesn't always mean better and the open world aspect feels like unneccessary bloat a lot of the time and just makes getting from place to place without menu teleporting a bore. Not to mention levels feel more intricately designed in linear games. MGS2s big shell was far more enjoyable and interesting to traverse and explore than the vast open spaces in MGS5 for example. Arkham Asylum's level design was very satisfying with it's metroidvania elements that teased you with blocked off locations which you unlock later on once you get a certain gadget. But then City replaced that with a tacked on open world which made it all generic.

This is part of the reason why i'm hyped for FFXVI. It's refreshing. You have plenty of room to fight enemies and do a little bit of roaming around but it's not another tacked on open world and as a result they were able to focus more on the gameplay and story.

Not going to happen ... Elden Ring was the most successful souls game with 20 million + sales ... and is by far the worst (IMO) exactly because of the open world design and the changes that brings ... so this trend is not going away ... unfortunately

Not going to happen ... Elden Ring was the most successful souls game with 20 million + sales ... and is by far the worst (IMO) exactly because of the open world design and the changes that brings ... so this trend is not going away ... unfortunately
Ah well, another decade of generic ass games I guess. I'll just try to savor as many quality linear/semi-open world games as I can.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm tired of everything under the sun being open world since like 2011. Bigger doesn't always mean better and the open world aspect feels like unneccessary bloat a lot of the time and just makes getting from place to place without menu teleporting a bore. Not to mention levels feel more intricately designed in linear games. MGS2s big shell was far more enjoyable and interesting to traverse and explore than the vast open empty spaces in MGS5 for example. Arkham Asylum's level design was very satisfying with it's metroidvania elements that teased you with blocked off locations which you unlock later on once you get a certain gadget. But then City replaced that with a tacked on open world which made it all generic. Linearity allows developers to script great gameplay sequences that wouldn't be possible in an open world game. I can't see games like Ghostrunner or Neon White being open world.

What a take.

Only a *vastly outnumbered* portion of games released nowadays is open world. This perception that open-world games are somehow overrepresented is absolutely a distortion of reality.

If you don't like open-world games... Don't play open-world games. There are tons upon tons of games with classic level design out there. Take your pick.

Freedom is absolutely part of escapism. One of the main attractions of open world games is the escapism they provide by letting you explore anywhere you like.

Last edited:
What a take.

Only a *vastly outnumbered* portion of games released nowadays is open world. This perception that open-world games are somehow overrepresented is absolutely a distortion of reality.

If you don't like open-world games... Don't play open-world games. There are tons upon tons of games with classic level design out there. Take your pick.

Freedom is absolutely part of escapism.
"Vastly outnumbered". Come on, don't make me laugh. Even freaking SOULS is open world nowadays, that's how oversaturated the market is with AAA open world games.

>If you don't like open-world games... Don't play open-world games. There are tons upon tons of games with classic level design out there. Take your pick.

And how many of them are given an AAA budget?

>Freedom is absolutely part of escapism.

I guess by your logic pretty much anything before 7th gen gaming wasn't escapism and nothing before 6th gen was escapism.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Pray do tell about your harsh realities while being afforded one of the world's most expensive hobbies? Most people who are in dire straits don't have time for escapism AT ALL. Not trying to shit on you, genuinly concerned about mental health for people. Feel free to DM me.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
"Vastly outnumbered". Come on, don't make me laugh. Even freaking SOULS is open world nowadays, that's how oversaturated the market is with AAA open world games.

>If you don't like open-world games... Don't play open-world games. There are tons upon tons of games with classic level design out there. Take your pick.

I guess by your logic pretty much anything before 7th gen gaming wasn't escapism and nothing before 6th gen was escapism.

Jedi Survivor was just released

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Your perception of the gaming industry's output is:

1: simply distorted. There are tons of games that come out at any time that are not open-world.
2: Hyperfocused on AAA. That's your problem, not the industry's. Broaden your horizons.
3: Open world freedom being conducive to escapism doesn't mean it's required.

You're basing your hopes of a "backlash" on a vision of the industry that does not exist. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Your perception of the gaming industry's output is:

1: simply distorted. There are tons of games that come out at any time that are not open-world.
2: Hyperfocused on AAA. That's your problem, not the industry's. Broaden your horizons.
3: Open world freedom being conducive to escapism doesn't mean it's required.
I mainly play plenty of indie games. But the problem is with most AAA game having open world these days there aren't many linear or semi-open world games with a high budget. And it is fatiguing constantly seeing new games turn out to be open world and game series tacking on open world when it does more harm than good.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Funny seeing so many diff threads popping here trying to cope with Tears of the Kingdom success. There was the Horizon is AMAZING ya guys one, Days Gone is a perfect open world, now this one. I wonder why.

There is not a trend of open world games, it's a genre that you can decide if you wanna play it. You have lots of other things to play.

Guilty_AI

Gamepass and discounts aside for the average person a $60 purchase is hell of a lot of money. Its come down since our physical days but still.
So.... take advantage of discounts and gamepass? I myself very rarely buy at full price.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Some of the best games even growing up are the blue prints of open world design.

Even Chrono Trigger or early final fantasies have a world map you traverse and can stumble upon secret areas. All while having activities like random battles in FF.

The issue isn’t open world games. It’s creativity within that sandbox built. Forspoken is a great example of a horrible open world game. The world looks dull and bland with little to no anything out there to see or engage with .

The excuse for forspoken and even a game like RedFall is some “calamity” or crisis occurs so the world is “dead.” Basically it’s bull shit speak for we need to create the emptiest thing possible for us to get it to not run like total shit… which these two games still struggled with big time. Even breath of the wild does this to some extent. Tears less so because it jam packs things more than ever with enemies and friendly AI.

Tears of the kingdom creates a very unique open world experience that focuses on one primary factor : fun. Elden ring focuses on fun. Would tears be better in a linear format ? For me, no. Would elden ring ? Yes I think linear souls is still preferred for me. A more mid size scope would’ve benefitted the game for pacing and polish purposes.

Edit: I should also add for me an open world game is a time and a place. I can’t just do open world games back to back to back. It’s too much.

Last edited:
I Remember when GTA III and Vicy City came out I loved opeen world games because of the story, atmosphere, side missions etc.

Now when I see an open world game it's the same old: here's 100 useless collectibles, the world is divided in x districts, climb towers/activate antenna's/liberate camps to unlock districts, here's a dozen of standard side missions ....Ugh.

I'd rather have a lineair game than these recycled open world games. Since I started working I learned to appreciate linear games more.
Open world has lost it's charm. Can't be special when every game and it's mother is open world in 2023 and all share the same busiwork activities formula.

Fahdis

So.... take advantage of discounts and gamepass? I myself very rarely buy at full price.

What about your $399 and $499 boxes MSRP boxes? Lets not even go to PCs. It is still an expensive endevour to start out with for most people. Maybe the Switch is more affordable but gaming as a whole for the average Joe is expensive.

Guilty_AI

What about your $399 and $499 boxes MSRP boxes? Lets not even go to PCs. It is still an expensive endevour to start out with for most people. Maybe the Switch is more affordable but gaming as a whole for the average Joe is expensive.
Don't know about console, but theres no shortage of people, rich or poor who still need to invest in PCs or just have a smartphone.

In the case of PC, slap some second hand gtx 1650 and BAM, gaming machine. You'd be surprised at the ability of people living from paycheck to paycheck to find ways.
I know cause i've dealt with plenty.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Pray do tell about your harsh realities while being afforded one of the world's most expensive hobbies? Most people who are in dire straits don't have time for escapism AT ALL. Not trying to shit on you, genuinly concerned about mental health for people. Feel free to DM me.
It's just the toll of working all day and not have to deal with that shit while gaming.

Exploring a fantasy world eases your heart.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not with that attitude.

In all seriousness, this implies open world is an upgrade which it is not. Linear level design poses several benefits that open world games lack and are less homogenous.

You call it "going back", I call it "course correction".

There's nothing linear games do that can't be done (admittedly much harder) in an open world. There are things open world can do that linear can never.

Videogames and player choice are intertwined like DNA. Open world supports that DNA exponentially better than linear.

There's nothing linear games do that can't be done (admittedly much harder) in an open world. There are things open world can do that linear can never.

Videogames and player choice are intertwined like DNA. Open world supports that DNA exponentially better than linear.

Games like Ghostrunner and Neon White would never work with open world. It doesn't allow for the same concentrated level design. So no, there are things linear games can do that cannot be replicated with open world. In fact Bayonetta 3 was originally an attempt to pull off a hack n slash in an open world setting and it ended up so bad they had to backtrack halfway through development to make it linear again.

Ditto could be said for hack n slash games. There's a reason why after all these years all the best character action games are linear like DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Open world can be very harsh to the pacing and exploration.

Admitedly you can make an "open world" thats just a selection of interconnected levels, but i assume thats not the kind of open world you're referring.

feynoob

Banned
All video games are. Some just are quite nice and allows you to play as someone else.

The most thing I like about open world is the music sound track. From Skyrim soundtrack to Minecraft, there is something special that feels amazing.

There are tons of stuff that people enjoy from these games.

bitbydeath

They need to take it to the next level like Days Gone did with dynamic AI. Most open world games are empty / the same whenever you go to any given location.

They get that right and keep improving on it then open world games will be wanted all the time.

Days Gone doesn’t get enough credit for what it did in the open world space but I suspect GTAVI will follow as it grasped some of it in RDR2.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Games like Ghostrunner and Neon White would never work with open world. It doesn't allow for the same concentrated level design.
They would absolutely work in an open world game. It would be harder to implement but there's nothing about 360 degree free movement that would make that impossible.

Think shrines in Breath of the Wild / TotK.

So no, there are things linear games can do that cannot be replicated with open world. In fact Bayonetta 3 was originally an attempt to pull off a hack n slash in an open world setting and it ended up so bad they had to backtrack halfway through development to make it linear again.
Harder to implement, sure. But to suggest it's impossible is unrealistic.

Ditto could be said for hack n slash games. There's a reason why after all these years all the best character action games are linear like DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden.

Games and technology are always improving. The further the medium + industry progresses, the more your argument will rust and wither into obscurity. DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all minimal sellers that never had much appeal. I wonder what would happen to them if they had their Elden Ring / Breath of the Wild moment...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Open world can be very harsh to the pacing and exploration.

Admitedly you can make an "open world" thats just a selection of interconnected levels, but i assume thats not the kind of open world you're referring.

Open world is definitely harder to create and design around, no question. But the problem is slowly being solved (pacing is improving, exploring is already leagues better etc...).

Player choice just works so much better in an open world environment and that's the mediums singular greatest strength. There's a reason Elden Ring and Zelda blew up in popularity after ditching their more linear roots.

They would absolutely work in an open world game. It would be harder to implement but there's nothing about 360 degree free movement that would make that impossible.

Think shrines in Breath of the Wild / TotK.

Harder to implement, sure. But to suggest it's impossible is unrealistic.

Games and technology are always improving. The further the medium + industry progresses, the more your argument will rust and wither into obscurity. DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all minimal sellers that never had much appeal. I wonder what would happen to them if they had their Elden Ring / Breath of the Wild moment...

Absolutely not. You need tight enclosed levels for those to work.

They could feature those levels within designated locations within the open world like shrines I guess but that would just mean the open world is tacked on an a hindrance in the way of accessing said levels. Not to mention the implementation of the open world would cut time and resources from designing and polishing those levels.

>Games and technology are always improving.

Open world isn't an improvement, it's a design choice and a very obnoxious and oversaturated one at that.

>The further the medium + industry progresses, the more your argument will rust and wither into obscurity.

How? Sales and industry trends don't directly correlate to good game design. I guess live service models, unfinished games and lootboxes are top tier game design by your logic.

>DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all minimal sellers that never had much appeal.

Sales/Popularity =/= Game design quality

>I wonder what would happen to them if they had their Elden Ring / Breath of the Wild moment...

Again with your shallow mentality of "popularity and sales is all that matters".

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Absolutely not. You need tight enclosed levels for those to work.

They could feature those levels within designated locations within the open world like shrines I guess but that would just mean the open world is tacked on an a hindrance in the way of accessing said levels.

>Games and technology are always improving.

Open world isn't an improvement, it's a design choice and a very obnoxious and oversaturated one at that.

>The further the medium + industry progresses, the more your argument will rust and wither into obscurity.

How? Sales and industry trends don't directly correlate to good game design. I guess live service models, unfinished games and lootboxes are top tier game design by your logic.

>DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all minimal sellers that never had much appeal.

Sales/Popularity =/= Game design quality

>I wonder what would happen to them if they had their Elden Ring / Breath of the Wild moment...

Again with your mentality of "popularity and sales is all that matters"

I believe in evolution.

Dinosaurs went extinct because they couldn't compete in the environment where mammals thrived.

Linear games are no different. They're just getting wrecked on the market by open world games because they can't connect with players like open world games do.

Adapt or die. Your preference, my preference...they don't matter. What matters is that the human race doesn't like invisible walls forcing people down The Truman Show being told exactly what to do and when.

You're rationalizing the existence of an inferior product.

Mozzarella

I dont mind good open world games, i just hope not every developer now will look at Elden Ring and Tears of the Kingdom and start copy pasting those and following their footsteps, just like many devs did with Skyrim after 2011.
I think we need less open world games though and more level based games, so yeah, i also want the next Zelda to be traditional style (won't happen) and same goes for Souls if it was to be made.
Open world is fine if the developer wants to try their take on it, but it shouldn't just replace everything, CDPR after trying it with Witcher 3 now all their games are LE open world, like you dont need to make everything open world, you tried once, twice ok, now do some level-based/hub-area games too.

I believe in evolution.

Dinosaurs went extinct because they couldn't compete in the environment where mammals thrived.

Linear games are no different. They're just getting wrecked on the market by open world games because they can't connect with players like open world games do.

Adapt or die. Your preference, my preference...they don't matter. What matters is that the human race doesn't like invisible walls forcing people down The Truman Show being told exactly what to do and when.

You're rationalizing the existence of an inferior product.
Lol "sales == quality" great logic there, COD and pokemon are top tier game design am i rite.

Top Bottom