• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope Starfield's reception marks the end of all huge empty open worlds in gaming.

simpatico

I don't call walking/running for 10 minutes in one direction to find a small hut with one scientist sitting at table really compelling. Inventory management is also a huge turn off. I'm spending more time in menus than playing. Big meh.
The menu's are a respite from shooting bullet sponge enemies with AI that makes CoD2 feel impressive.

TrueGrime

Offering a lot of content is all fine and dandy. But when you create huge open spaces with little to nothing to do or simply copy and paste the same stuff again and again, it just becomes boring.

Last-gen we had quite a lot of open-world titles that felt ticking check marks or doing a laundry list rather than having fun and rewarding exploration. Going into this one it appears that pretty much nothing has changed. Honestly, at this point advertising your game with "hundreds of hours of gameplay" and "the biggest open-world we've made so far" starts to feel more and more off-putting.

As an adult, I value my time. As a gamer, I also have a huge-ass backlog of titles ready to be played. So keeping it shorter and up to the point when designing your games is always appreciated.

/rant mode off.

Jesus christ OP. It's a Bethesda game where people have played for thousands of hours in past titles and even more thanks to mod support. It's also a game about space and space is fucking empty for the most part, but they still tried to make it interesting.

If you value your time, great. Fucking play less, but all of us shouldn't have to suffer because you don't know what time management is.

damidu

i hope the reception marks the end of creation engine,
wont be suprised this one having shortest honeymoon period of their games,
jumping through 4 menus and loading screeens every time you want to "explore" wont cut in this day and age.

Last edited:

geary

Not everyone treats Reddit as an accurate representation of what a gaming fanbase feels.

8,168 upvotes doesn’t signify or corroborate anything in the grand scheme of people playing Starfield.
8k people. Thats like 3% of the steam concurrent players and not counting gamepass, supposing all of them play the game now.

Bethesda should be worried.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I hope so too. Give me small but dense. Like back in Skyrim you could just pick a direction and walk. You would eventually trip and fall over something interesting.

Or if you are going to make a big open world then make it feel special between destinations like Red Dead 2 or Witcher 3. A giant in-game world is nothing to brag about if it's mostly just empty.

StueyDuck

What reception..the game isn't really out yet and it's gotten high 80s review scores...

It's gonna have a disgustingly high player count too especially with gamepass. I only see the reception being at worst non-plussed by the larger gaming audience

lefty1117

Gold Member
Once Starfield's rose tinted glasses wear off the mob, a lot of criticism will ensue.

I actually think the opposite will happen, once people settle in to what this game really is, which is a Bethesda RPG set in space, and not a Space Game, I think the opinion of it will increase. With mods and future DLC/patches etc it will only improve. yes things could have been done better on launch no doubt, but expectations were through the roof as well. Bethesda could have done more to tamp down the hype but they were in a weird position of needing the hype to fuel Microsoft's ambition but probably knowing internally that it wasn't GOTG. Probably a few turds expelled after BG3 came out and seeing what that reception was. Still though, it's not an NMS killer but a good strong Bethesda RPG. I'm getting more hyped about the game as I'm playing it for a dozen hours or so but more from discovering the content and enjoying the story than being technically wowed by something.

😭 1000 planets with nothing to do but automated generated garbage who would have thought, apart from the small scripted tailed story segments. Also all the loading..

Genuinely thought the art style is great. Will wait until the game is fixed and mods are in a good place in 6 to 12 months.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
😭 1000 planets with nothing to do but automated generated garbage who would have thought, apart from the small scripted tailed story segments. Also all the loading..

Genuinely thought the art style is great. Will wait until the game is fixed and mods are in a good place in 6 to 12 months.
To be honest, the curated and designed quests and missions do look spectacular.

Artists: We want the player to experience cool landscapes, vast valleys, the feeling of isolation and emptiness of space. We want to give you a feeling of grandeur and the infinite feeling of actual space.

Designers: We want to create cool set pieces, combat scenarios, and stories that you will remember for years to come.

Leads: We are going to combine the above two so that you, the person playing the game, get both.

Casual and Ordinary gamers: This is awesome. I'm not going to experience everything but that's okay, my experience will be unique enough to me and maybe I'll see cool stuff online that I never got to experience.

Completionists: This sucks. There's way too much content, it's too spread out, there's too much empty space, and too much to do. I need to do and see absolutely everything in order to feel fulfillment when finishing a game. Video games have too much content and thus they need to be cut or all be condensed into tighter experiences.

Online Multiplayer/MMO Gamers: You guys finish your games? We just play until we can't anymore because our games don't really end. So it's more about the fun of the ride than the destination.

Another fuckin starfield thread
O4vX0cW.gif

What’s with these threads? Are people not seeing the reviews? What the fuck is going on here with this game. It’s like I’m in la la land where Im the only one seeing the reviews while everyone else’s is seeing 50s or 60s. It’s fuckin crazy…
Because reviews are reviews where people like to boot lick . After seeing actual gaffers play and seeing real experiences the game has many flaws. The loading for example just shows how old and shit the creation engine is. This old ass ancient engine needs to be dropped.

sendit

What’s with these threads? Are people not seeing the reviews? What the fuck is going on here with this game. It’s like I’m in la la land where Im the only one seeing the reviews while everyone else’s is seeing 50s or 60s. It’s fuckin crazy…
Agenda pushing people want this game to fail because it isn't on Playstation. This is literally Elder Scrolls/Fallout in space, what more can people ask for?

Sure, it isn't breaking any new grounds. Games like No Man's Sky does space travel/exploration better. But that game is not an RPG. It doesn't have the depth of character customization this game has.

Last edited:
I bounced off this game really fast, and refunded the early access on Steam. It's not even the fact that space is empty or barren (that's realism which I am actually okay with). With killed the game for me is that a lot of design decisions have been solved by other developers. Here however a lot of things are clunky and just massively annoying. My biggest gripe... loading screens. Holy molly was this not fun to experience. Walk onto your ship loading screen, travel to a location loading screen, get off your ship loading screen, go into a building loading screen. It's just that I would expect smarter design decisions be made to have this game feel like a next gen experience.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I see a lot of FUD talk from people who either haven’t played the game or only played for a small amount of time.

I myself do not really like the game but it’s for actual real self opinions from 5 hours of playtime.

Madflavor

Agenda pushing people want this game to fail because it isn't on Playstation. This is literally Elder Scrolls/Fallout in space, what more can people ask for?

Sure, it isn't breaking any new grounds. Games like No Man's Sky does space travel/exploration better. But that game is not an RPG. It doesn't have the depth of character customization this game has.

Oh look it's this excuse again.

Dude I don't care if a game is meant to be played on a CuisineArt Toaster. I just want it to be good. A rising tide raises all ships. I just want great games. People have the right to demand better.

feynoob

Banned

Dude I don't care if a game is meant to be played on a CuisineArt Toaster. I just want it to be good. A rising tide raises all ships. I just want great games. People have the right to demand better.
It wont change anything, until bethesda changes that engine.
You cant get what you want, if bethesda keeps making games on creation engine.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh boy. The narrative writers are working overtime on this one. Gotta keep pushing the narrative that Starfield is some kind of cataclysmic platform ending, genre-defining, career killing, industry altering failure. With an 88MC, huge player counts, and very positive word of mouth. Talk about detached from reality.

Succeed or fail, I hope more Devs try to create games with the ambition of Starfield, instead of just cramming their budgets into cutscenes and loot boxes.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

It IS a good game it has 88 on metacritic for fucks sake
Oh boy. The narrative writers are working overtime on this one. Gotta keep pushing the narrative that Starfield is some kind of cataclysmic platform ending, genre-defining, career killing, industry altering failure. With an 88MC, huge player counts, and very positive word of mouth. Talk about detached from reality.

Succeed or fail, I hope more Devs try to create games with the ambition of Starfield, instead of just cramming their budgets into cutscenes and loot boxes.

This

People want more railroaded experiences I suppose or at least its the narrative some clowns are pushing

Last edited:

Madflavor

It IS a good game it has 88 on metacritic for fucks sake

I'm speaking in general terms here because sendit brought console bullshit into this. I just want games to be good, no matter the platform.

Starfield to me, looks good. Deeply flawed, but good. It should be great. That's my stance on it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not sure how its deeply flawed but ok
Game is filled to the brim with great content. Gamers always have something to whine about. When Cyberpunk came out it was the biggest garbage ever, same with no mans sky but now this game isnt as good as either of those if you believe some clowns at there.

Its fucking pathetic and insulting to the team that worked so hard on this game.

feynoob

Banned
Only in the gaming community would a score of 87/88 be considered disappointing. This system really needs some overhauling.

Obligatory meme
That is what you get, when there are 2 dumb sides arguing over plastic boxes and their overlord companies.
We reached a point, where fanboys argue over background fps drops. And social media is making that a bad thing.
You should see what those dumb people on twitter. Both sides arguing like bunch of tolders.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s space. This is the best justification for a big empty open world lmao
Sure but if you have the technology to travel in space then you have the technology to have multiple space stations or even country size Colonies.

In fact from development stand point Colonies would have been much more doable than creating fully realized Planets.
s00005.jpg

feynoob

Banned
Sure but if you have the technology to travel in space then you have the technology to have multiple space stations or even country size Colonies.

In fact from development stand point Colonies would have been much more doable than creating fully realized Planets.
s00005.jpg
They had mechas, but like humans both colonies fought each other.
Humans cant coexist like this image, without several high profile wars and big goverment that puts an end to that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They had mechas, but like humans both colonies fought each other.
Humans cant coexist like this image, without several high profile wars and big goverment that puts an end to that.
Well what happen with Gundam Universal Century series, Zeon (spacenoids) wanted independence and Earth Federation didn't want to have it and thats how One Year War started.

Last edited:

mystech

In the case of Starfield, the whole point of the game is to be in space… which is empty and explore desolate planets that are… empty. So in this case, Starfield is delivering what was intended.

That being said, I DEFINITELY do understand the OPs point. It seems like last gen started this trend of having more and more open world games which is now causing “open world fatigue”. IMO this is pointing to a much bigger issue in the gaming industry which is that once something gets popularized, the entire industry seems to move in that direction. It ends up making games feel far to similar to each other rather than having unique and creative experiences. We’ve seen this with the jump in open world games, the countless FPS games, service games and the list goes on.

When it comes to open worlds specifically, I think Elden Ring did it perfectly. The world was just big enough without being overwhelming. Most importantly, the world was filled with new stuff to explore and great pacing. That being said there was definitely some repeat dungeon designs but overall the world contained to stay fresh for me after 60+ hours.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
As an adult, I value my time.
Every adult values their time, this is a bit of a shit point when talking of gaming. I think what your alluding to is a mild case of adhd. As an adult myself I can spend as little or as much time on a product as I like, what you are saying is that you cant and you feel the need to rush on to the next thing asap. You feel rushed. I get it, you feel like you just want quick hits, move onto the next. It doesnt have to be like this..

I'm still working through Just Cause 2, and have been since, what? How longs that been out? Fuck knows, bought it day 1, years!

feynoob

Banned
Well what happen with Gundam Universal Century series, Zeon (spacenoids) wanted independence and Earth Federation didn't want to have it and thats how One Year War started.
Same thing happened with starfield. Colonies didnt liked each, and kaboom.
War never changes.

feynoob

Banned
Reviews wars sucks.
Another reason why I hate the review system. Each faction will blindy inflate the ratings of their games.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm not disappointed that it's open-world. It's a Bethesda game. Of course, it's open-world. That's what Bethesda does best.

What puts me off is that the open-world aspects do not seem well executed. The appeal of Bethesda open worlds (at least for me) was wandering anywhere, in the natural environment, in any direction, and finding something interesting, weird, or surprising. Apparently, that sort of open-world exploration does not exist here. You are teleporting everywhere, and the "exploration" is mostly of barren, featureless, drab planets, where nothing is to be found, apart from invisible walls and cut and paste buildings. In other words, one of the main charms of a Bethesda game -- the free and rewarding exploration of that open-world -- is missing here.

Arachnid

Yeah, the excuse for 980 damn near empty planets is ridiculous. It's a game. Not real life. Make it fun. I'd rather have 6 fleshed out planets with different and unique biomes and alien wildlife/species than nearly a thousand empty rocky landscapes. I'd rather the resource gathering from empty planets be more of a mini game Mass Effect 2 style. I don't want to have to land on countless planets and build pointless outposts.

Top Bottom