• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

Roufianos

MGSV by far for me, killed my love of the franchise for a while.

Fallout 4 was dreadful, didn't even finish it.

Last of Us 2 had an awful story and was terribly paced.

Resi 5 took 4's gameplay and put it in a boring setting.

GTA IV just played terribly and the more serious tone didn't land in my opinion.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
xTREy7h.png

2016 was borderline 'Eh' but it ended up being a hell of a lot more 'Doom like' and fun than this utter bullshit Mario clone..

Yay! A Doom platformer with utterly shit ADHD mechanics! Hooray! Just what Doom needed

Complete trash. Bring Doom back to what it was, please. Or dont bother.
Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

@thread
MGS5_TPP.jpg

- open world for no reason - I don't mind the open level or whatever, but the open world itself has no purpose on the evolution of the game. If you're going to do an open world game, go all in. This is a half-ass world
- mechanics for making a Metal Gear for basically no reason
- points to level up... you're called Big Boss for what now?
- repeating levels on hard to progress the story
- you also have to listen to audio tapes to progress the story, fun, right?!
- bosses with lazy ass bullet sponge design, in a series that basically EVERY boss on past games are a really great or even has legendary fights
- obligatory walking sessions (yep, plural)
- the rival has charisma and shit, aaaaaaaaaaaand he's dead
- changing David Hayter because hollywood
- Colonel Volgin, Liquid Snake and Psycho Mantis are in, yay! Oh, they add basically nothing to the plot and could easily be new characters... ok
- major plot twist is so poorly executed that almost comes as a bad thing
- the game is incomplete

Last edited:

kyussman

I was a big fan of Rage back in the day....when they announced a sequel after all that time I was amazed and pretty excited......Rage 2 had great shooting,but there was absolutely fuck all effort put into the rest of the game,a great shame.

Shut0wen

Well, you're playing the best one! Eternal is okay, I guess. If you like 2016 but felt it needed more platforming for god knows what reason, you'll love it. Oh and remember that classic Doom trope of punching and chainsawing enemies for ammo? Yeah, it's got that, and if you dont then no ammo for you!

It's so 'Doom' it hurts.

Utter pish.
Hahaha sounds more of the same then, i dont mind it a mean its better then doom 3 (doom 3 was cool just not a very good doom game)

Shut0wen

GTA IV just played terribly and the more serious tone didn't land in my opinion.
Forgot about fallout 4, i cant believe bethesda fixed the shooting issues with fo3 and NV but took the soul of the series out with minimum rpg or dialog options plus most of the side quests were utter shit

Dr.Morris79

Hahaha sounds more of the same then, i dont mind it a mean its better then doom 3 (doom 3 was cool just not a very good doom game)
By all means try it, you never know you might love it. I find most games are subjective to personal taste anyway

I just harken back to the good old days of the original two games, actually three, Doom 64 was pretty damn good too.

Naked Lunch

Team Fortress 2
Took years and years to release after TF1/TFC - once it finally dropped, turned out they removed grenade jumps and the series' identity in the process.
Dumbed down to 'babby's 1st FPS' casual garbo.
The real deal Team Fortress gameplay of TF1 - we will never see again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some other junk…

Genesis NFL 95. They changed it up with this 3D tilting view which was shit as it was too slow. Everything else in the game dropped 5 notches down the ladder. Easiest wins ever. Everytime you dove, your player launches 4-5 yards. So just spam running plays with constant diving.

COD ghosts. Looked like shit. Bad maps. Bailed fast. Back then I played tons of COD. That was the first game back then I barely played.

xrnzaaas

Assassin's Creed 3 - from the most charismatic protagonist to the dullest one in the series. Also boring world without good climbing spots and tutorial-like missions in the first few hours. Just awful.

BizarroPete

Bioshock Infinite

The first 2 had great story and gameplay while Infinite fell completely flat, for me. A bloated Ken Levine swan song.
Same here. The dumbing down of the gameplay really ruined it for me. Some good videos that explain some problems with the game.

ZOMGPaperClips

Neo Member
My biggest disappointments lately have been the Nintendo Mario Strikers and Mario Golf sequels on the Switch. Both are just totally soulless and boring. The gameplay is competent, but there's just not much variety or skills to develop. I put maybe 6-8 hours in each then felt there was nothing else to do. No fun factor either. Huge disappointment after me and my kids loved playing Strikers on the Wii in particular, and GameCube Mario Golf was hilarious

ren008

Neo Member
Cant believe it hasnt been mentioned but Lost Planet 3 is my pick.

Sure LP2 went a bit crazy with the monster hunter vibe and wasnt as tight as the first, but LP3 was just a huge wtf?

ahtlas7

the first 2 had great gameplay... but Infinite fell flat? now I truly I heard everything LMAO
Infinite is the only one in the series with decent FPS gameplay
I know Ken paid you for that reply.
I‘ve been playing through 1 recently and I still enjoy it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I agree only on Fallout 4 and resi5.
tlou2 is the best story in gaming. gta iv serious tone is perfect and mgs5 is juts a perfect game if you ignore act2

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island followed by Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also Mass Effect 2, Jesus fuck what a disappointment that game was to me.

get-out-leave.gif

Adventure of Link
Simon’s Quest
Lords of Shadow 2

Zelda 2 will always be the correct answer.

1. FABLE 3!!!
2. Super Mario bros 2
3. Zelda 2

4. Any twisted metal after the first one except the psp version.

Normies. Zelda 1 was clunky. I'm only disappointed Zelda 2 never got a spiritual sequel.

All of them within the last 10 years. I can't in fact think of a sequel from this generation or the last that I enjoyed as much as or more than the previous installment.
People seem to love the newest RE but I've no love for first person games.

GustavoLT

TLOU2. Part one was a super cool universe, unpretentious straightforward story with a high stakes background. It was contained, it had a beginning that set up things, a continous journey through different locations and seasons and a minimalistic non cliche ending, simple and effective. It wasn’t the most original story ever, the father son/daugther, master aprentice thing had been done a thousand times, but it works.

ND knew no restraint on the sequel, they wanted to make it all bigger and ended up with a convoluted meaningless mess. More and bigger locations while going back and forth in time and space and playable characters, more factions (the whole seraphites thing was impossible to buy), nothing more than the revenge story vs also saving humanity in Part I, more characters, old ones almost unrecognizable and adding totally forgettable new ones, all in a package that reeked of such cringe woke that one has to marvel at the lack of self awareness of the writers.
At somepoint that bald kid I thought he was another imune character just to discover she was a girl that wanted to be a boy!!!

gta5.
basically worse in every way.

nerfed euphoria physics and NPC interactions
arcade-y driving and reduced vehicle damage/deformation
robo-cops
big unpopulated environment
looked dated at launch
radio/tv wasnt funny
pleb features like the kill effect
no cousins
etc.

Codes 208

Kind of a tie between halo 5 and infinite for me.

5 had a terrible campaign but great multiplayer/firefight/forge. But halo infinite had a decent campaign but terrible multiplayer and no forge/firefight. Both are just hovering around a 4/10 for me, whereas the old trilogy + reach ranged between 8-10/10 for me (even 4 is a solid 7/10 imo)

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

get-out-leave.gif

Normies. Zelda 1 was clunky. I'm only disappointed Zelda 2 never got a spiritual sequel.
I’m not saying Zelda II was/is a bad game, it was just a disappointing sequel to the original. Zelda 1 may seem clunky by today’s standards but not for those who played it back in the late 80s.

Justin9mm

Agree with all of this except LOU2, I liked 'most' of the story, pacing was bad but can be forgiven given the high production quality & gameplay.

Neff

I haven't changed my tune in almost 8 years, it's Bayonetta 2.

While it's a perfectly good game in its own right, the original was SO GOOD that my expectations were perhaps too high, meaning I was inevitably disappointed by a game which took several steps back in combat and variety. The fact that The Wonderful 101 blew me the fuck away the year prior didn't help either.

BlakeofT

Vanilla Destiny 2. I still liked the game a lot but man they took so much away from the first game and added only a handful of good new features. It's dramatically better now and by far the better game of the two. It still has tons of issues though.

Can’t believe all the people saying Doom Eternal is the worst sequel… really? Of all sequels in the history of gaming, y’all think Eternal is it huh? there really is no accounting for taste. Expected more from GAF.

Roufianos

Agree with all of this except LOU2, I liked 'most' of the story, pacing was bad but can be forgiven given the high production quality & gameplay.
Thinking maybe I should go back to it after finishing Part 1. What really killed it for me was having to slog through Abby's sections when I was just desperate to see what happened in the theatre.

Maybe now I know I can enjoy the journey more.

I still think the game would have been so much better if you played all of Ellie's sections then unlocked Abby's story.

Lords of Shadow 2.

Stealth shit alone puts the game in shit tier category.
Uninspired enemy designs.
Weaker combat.
Weaker story.
Generally bad level design.
Inconsistent graphics (Lords of Shadow was a looker at release)

P.S I know people hate Lords of Shadow as a Castlevania game, but it was as an absolute epic.
Maybe its because I have no emotional attachment to the castlevania franchise (my only experience before Lords of Shadow 1 was the N64 3d game that sucks ass) but Lords of Shadow is one of my favourite games. The story, atmosphere, voice acting, combat, its all so good and still holds up today.

The sequel.... not so much.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Maybe its because I have no emotional attachment to the castlevania franchise (my only experience before Lords of Shadow 1 was the N64 3d game that sucks ass) but Lords of Shadow is one of my favourite games. The story, atmosphere, voice acting, combat, its all so good and still holds up today.

The sequel.... not so much.
Thats how I went into Lords of Shadow as well.

I didnt care that it was a Castlevania game, I just cared that it was a good game.
It was so Epic, I got the X360 version on multiple discs, the kid in me was glowing because in earlier generations whenever you saw multiple discs, you knew you were in for an adventure.
Sir Patrick Stewart narrating the loading screens was also boss level.
One of my housemates at the time literally started watching me play because he was so taken in by one of the loading screens he wanted to know what would happen next.....he doesnt even like videogames.

Thats how I went into Lords of Shadow as well.

I didnt care that it was a Castlevania game, I just cared that it was a good game.
It was so Epic, I got the X360 version on multiple discs, the kid in me was glowing because in earlier generations whenever you saw multiple discs, you knew you were in for an adventure.
Sir Patrick Stewart narrating the loading screens was also boss level.
One of my housemates at the time literally started watching me play because he was so taken in by one of the loading screens he wanted to know what would happen next.....he doesnt even like videogames.
Patrick Stewart on the loading screens is one of the highlights of the game. These days if I replay it its the PC version, so I load the level in seconds, but I'm still not moving past the loading screens until PStew has finished. It just feels wrong otherwise.

Played it on PS3 before that so I never got that multi-disc feeling, but I know what you mean. It was always a good sign for me as well.

Fluo

Mass Effect 3

You spend all game fighting zombie reaper minions and then when you're hyped up for the final battle with the reapers themselves, it's pick a color ending. I've preordered a CE and it's still sitting on my shelf as a reminder. It's been 10 years and I'm still not over it.

I’m not saying Zelda II was/is a bad game, it was just a disappointing sequel to the original. Zelda 1 may seem clunky by today’s standards but not for those who played it back in the late 80s.

I played it back in the day too, and I didn't care for the non-diagonal movement of Link in the first, which felt constraining. Made replays less fun IMO. Plus, there were more top down games that refined the formula.

I can see how people would be disappointed by the shift from the original, the same way Mario 2 put off others though. Felt more satisfying to me in what it set out to do. Of course that's just my take.

Top Bottom